Moyes to appoint Neville, Round and others

Lailiani

(Sadly not) Banned
Some of you lot :lol: Jesus, you'd think we were employing people from the dole que judging by the reactions on here!

If you were expecting Moyes to just come in and keep everything the same then you were living on another planet. No new manager will do that. And rightfully so. He has to come in and make the club his own, which means bringing in some of his own staff. And quite frankly, how are we to know how good they are?...Somelike like Queiroz is treated like a messiah on here, yet before United, he coached at the likes of NY/NJ MetroStars and Nagoya Grampus Eight (Who?...Exactly). Can you imagine the shitstorm Moyes would get if he brought in someone with the pedigree?

Sadly, it really is becoming obvious that no matter what Moyes does, its gonna be wrong in many people's eyes. Just give the guy a chance, if he thinks certain staff will add to United, and make the team better, then who are we to judge? Cos frankly, none of us have a clue if a coach is good or bad.

Yes, but we are getting Everton's manager AND his backroom staff. And probably one or two players from them.

I get why Moyes would want a few people around him that he trusts and already knows. But why the change in the key positions? United is highly successful, so obviously those people who left were good at what they did.

Now that I've heard these news, I absolutely do not want Fellaini.

This is just getting a tad uncomfortable.

Gazza

Sadly, it really is becoming obvious that no matter what Moyes does, its gonna be wrong in many people's eyes. Just give the guy a chance, if he thinks certain staff will add to United, and make the team better, then who are we to judge? Cos frankly, none of us have a clue if a coach is good or bad.
Yep. This is the realization of what we always knew was coming: the hysterical reaction to any change to the club Post Fergie. It was always going to happen, so it's not a surprise or a big deal, but it is apparent already that a lot of people simply won't trust the new manager's decisions right off the bat.

Gazza

Yes, but we are getting Everton's manager AND his backroom staff. And probably one or two players from them.

I get why Moyes would want a few people around him that he trusts and already knows. But why the change in the key positions? United is highly successful, so obviously those people who left were good at what they did.

He's taking backroom staff from Everton as he's worked with them successfully for 10 years. He hasn't signed any players from Everton. People aren't taking the concept of CHANGE at a football club very well, that's all this is.

LR7

I came around to the idea of Moyes because I foolishly assumed everything else would stay reasonably constant with just one or two tweaks here and there, whilst he gets experience in the CL and managing a team challenging in so many competitions. Manchester United play at a level he has no experience in, and he would do well to keep coaching staff with the relevant experience even for a season or two whilst he acclimatises himself with the club and what's required here.

All this change is beyond concerning. It seems like too much too soon.

Maybe I'm clinging onto Fergie's coat-tails, I've never experienced a managerial change but what ever the reason I definitely don't think it's change for the better. He's picking safe options. How will evertons back room staff improve Manchester United?

Lailiani

(Sadly not) Banned
He's taking backroom staff from Everton as he's worked with them successfully for 10 years. He hasn't signed any players from Everton. People aren't taking the concept of CHANGE at a football club very well, that's all this is.
People aren't taking the concept of turning United into Everton FC very well, that's all this is.

I just don't see why we should replace experienced and successful people with less experienced and... well, less successful staff. And ALL from Everton.

It shouldn't just be about the manager. The players need continuity, too. Changing the backroom staff like this isn't going to help.

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky

As far as I know he's only let two people go. Everyone else has quit. Hardly Moyes fault.

He's a manager that runs the training sessions. If Rene can't deal with that and want's to move on should Moyes change his style to suit a coach??

Sam

What 'Key positions'? The only people that have left are Phelan and Steele. Any new manager (whoever we'd hired) would have wanted his own assistant. And that would usually be someone they trusted and have worked with before (as is the case here). So that was no surprise. As for Steele leaving, its quite expected that a couple of staff members would move on when Fergie left. So to only have lost two really isnt bad at all.

Moyes is just bringing in a few members of staff he obviously rates highly and thinks can bring something to the table. So why the surprise? Surely its a positive? He's cherrypicking thebest of the staff he's worked with to bring in and add to the club. Its not like he's just replaced the whole of United's backroom staff. Talk about overreaction.

Gazza

People aren't taking the concept of turning United into Everton FC very well, that's all this is.

I just don't see why we should replace experienced and successful people with less experienced and... well, less successful staff. And ALL from Everton.
You're simply an idiot if that's what you think is happening.

Moyes is our new manager. He gets to choose his staff. He's happy with the staff he had at Everton. That's all you need to get your head around. This "They're less successful than our staff" is a redundant argument, because if that were the case Moyes wouldn't have any power to chance anything at MUFC, seeing as how we've been more successful than Everton all this time. That is not how football works: you can not hire a new manager and then raise objections when he tries to manage the club his way.

Ole'sbodyguard

Rumour on twitter is that he's in talks to bring Phelan back and Phelan may be receptive?

Interesting.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Sadly, it really is becoming obvious that no matter what Moyes does, its gonna be wrong in many people's eyes.
In general that's complete bollocks to be fair, though it might be true for a few people.

I absolutely love Moyes as our manager and have posts from last year advocating him taking over from Fergie, but it doesn't mean every decision he takes I'll agree with - and it'll be the same for most people. So they might generally support Moyes but be pissed if we sign Fellaini, or Baines.

Sacking someone like Steele has no benefits IMO, he was clearly working well with De Gea and at only 22 I think he'd benefit from a continuity of coaching staff. There seems to be nothing wrong with Steele and he's getting good results, so I can't see the need in changing it.

Sam

In general that's complete bollocks to be fair
I hope so.

Sacking someone like Steele has no benefits IMO, he was clearly working well with De Gea and at only 22 I think he'd benefit from a continuity of coaching staff. There seems to be nothing wrong with Steele and he's getting good results, so I can't see the need in changing it.
How do we know Steele didnt decide he wanted to leave?

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Are you still pissed from last night Storey or did you get a repeat of your obnoxious pills prescription?

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
I hope so.

How do we know Steele didnt decide he wanted to leave?
Well you never know for sure do you, but the announcement the club made makes no mention of him retiring and specifically says that they 'wish them well for long and successful careers in the game', so the implication is that he's continuing to coach.

In the same article Moyes says that he wants to bring his own staff in so implies that he has been dismissed. You can never be sure but that's my interpretation.

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-F...y/club-confirm-coaching-staff-departures.aspx

LR7

In general that's complete bollocks to be fair, though it might be true for a few people.

I absolutely love Moyes as our manager and have posts from last year advocating him taking over from Fergie, but it doesn't mean every decision he takes I'll agree with - and it'll be the same for most people. So they might generally support Moyes but be pissed if we sign Fellaini, or Baines.

Good post.

Pscholes18

Neville, who made almost 400 appearances for United before joining Everton in 2005, is expected to replace Rene Meulensteen as first-team coach.

Wtf???? Just going to hand him an important position at the biggest club in the world with minimal coaching experience?

Brightonian

Good post, all points bang on.

I really hope the caf doesn't develop a trend of any criticisms of anything that happens being seen as 'not supporting Moyes because you never wanted him from the start.' We can support him to the hilt and still disapprove of specific decisions.

Suedesi

Are you fecking kidding me? I thought the whole idea about Moyes was continuity. Do we need to hire the entire backroom staff of Everton who have won precisely zero trophies in their entire career? fecking hell

RK

Is this another "let's pretend we have a fecking clue how a football club works" thread? Might as well leave it to the people that know what they're doing.

LR7

I really hope the caf doesn't develop a trend of any criticisms of anything that happens being seen as 'not supporting Moyes because you never wanted him from the start.' We can support him to the hilt and still disapprove of specific decisions.
It's clearly evident already.

Sam

Is this another "let's pretend we have a fecking clue how a football club works" thread? Might as well leave it to the people that know what they're doing.
'We will not win another trophy with Chris Woods as our goalkeeping coach!..And as for that Steve Round fella, he's gonna have us on the verge of relegation!'

paceme

Golly Gilmore
“What’s the matter, lager boy, scared you might ta

You have no basis to criticise him though :lol: you have no idea, beyond a few comments from Ferguson (which really mean feck all)about how the coaching works at United.

Brightonian

Meltdown because a new manager is bringing in FOUR of his own staff. :lol:
Meltdown because people are now legitimately referring to Phil Neville as 'staff'.

You have no basis to criticise him though :lol: you have no idea, beyond a few comments from Ferguson (which really mean feck all)about how the coaching works at United.
That point, like the bit of Theon's post which it was a response to, was general. I wasn't talking about this news, just about how people are going to respond to criticism of Moyes in general from now on.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
Unsurprising that its the posters who are cnuts in the match day threads, and some of the worst transfer muppets, that are getting hysterical. They'd probably see no problem at all if Mourinho was the one bringing in new staff.

Sam

Like getting rid of successful and experienced staff and replacing it by staff from Everton?
I bet you went mental when Fergie employed Carlos Quiroz (From South Africa), Steve Mclaren (From Derby), Eric Steele (From Blackburn), Rene Meulensteen (From Al-Sadd), Paul McGuinness (From Chester City) and Richard Hawkins (From West Brom).

What was he thinking employing people like that?