Moyes To Succeed Ferguson Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Who said that? I read almost every post here today and I didn't see that.
Charleysurf was the main culprit:

That's the same attitude that would have hounded Fergie out of United back in the 80s. He was hardly Gods gift to football back then.
When someone pointed out SAF's record at Aberdeen:

If David Moyes had managed Celtic or Rangers, and got the easy trophies they get, then he'd tick your boxes?

Neil Lennon would tick your fecking boxes?
Then there was another post somewhere pointing out that the fans at the time would have preferred someone like clough to Ferguson.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I didn't want it to be Moyes, but it looks like it is so I will welcome him to the club and give him my full backing - I hope all United fans will do the same as I've already heard some shite off a few saying they wont renew their season tickets etc

Member 5225

If/when we sign Moyes I'll support him but am hugely nervous because:

1. He has absolutely no European experience
2. He didn't try to test himself (even Steve McLaren went abroad to test himself)
3. His only achievement seems to be to have maintained Everton to an average level
4. He has spent the 8th highest and avg position has been 8, hardly punching above his weight
5. Personally think he'll try and be a AVB at Chelsea, and come down on our players like a ton of bricks which won't work
6. Not sure of his ability to lure the top players of the world

VanNistelrater

Poncey film buff
MUFC Champions 2006/2007: Where will the goals com
Nothing of the sort.

I watched Celtic the other day and the Football they played was insanely poor.

How many top clubs has O'Neil managed? Leicester? And Celtic, who 'compete' in a league my own mother could play in if she donned a pair of boots and adopted a gruff voice.

O'Neils also pissed millions up the wall on shite players.

How can any United fan want a manager who builds his side around John Hartson and Chris Sutton FFS?

People say that Ferguson managed Aberdeen and the league wasnt much better then, that may well be the case, but I think to move forward we need to have a manager whose already established himself as a top drawer manager.

Mourinho possibly, he has Chelsea playing some decent Football when they need to.

It's going to be difficult. Id like a manager who didnt neglect the youth system, too, although in fairness O'Neils always given youth a pop at Celtic.
At least i was right about something back in the day!

Can only be one of few duff calls Plech made!

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
Charleysurf was the main culprit:

When someone pointed out SAF's record at Aberdeen:

Then there was another post somewhere pointing out that the fans at the time would have preferred someone like clough to Ferguson.
I think the first quote was relating to the time just before the FA cup win rather than when we got him initially. That was my read on it.

The second was a silly comment. Undoubtedly getting what he did with Aberdeen eclipses anything any recent manager has in Scotland.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
For sanity's sake, this was my neutral view back in December, when we didn't feel the world was falling apart around us.

He has been managing Everton, on a shoestring. The fact he even keeps them consistently competitive is admirable.

Let's face it, how many PL managers have had the success you are expecting of him?

The squad depths at Everton's level mean they need to make a choice between Europa and the league. Look at the teams that did "well" in the Europa or took it rather seriously, where are they now? Boro, gone. Bolton, gone. Martin O'Neill used to deliberately play reserve sides, and rightly so.

Only Fulham managed to do a good campaign without screwing themselves up in the league, and going by your logic it was that sort of "display of ambition" you talk about that landed Hodgson the Liverpool job :lol:

Arsene Wenger has not picked a trophy for bloody ages, is he a crap manager? Fact is in Moyes' time few managers other than SAF, Mourinho and Ancelotti managed the sort of success you crow about. With significantly greater funds and phenomenal squads at their disposal the likes of Mancini have won the league and Di Matteo the CL. Does that make them better managers than Moyes? I reckon Moyes is better than the two of them, even when winning the CL with that Chelsea side is a more difficult task than winning it with Barca. But there was a lot of jam involved in that, not RDC genius.

I would always take Mourinho ahead of Moyes, no question, but wouldn't have a problem with him at all. Sure, we would need some learning to happen, which is not the end of the world when you are talking about replacing the most successful manager ever.

Guardiola? I really don't get the hype. He is fine but with such great players at his disposal, ample funds, every man and his dog wanting to go there... He managed the transition from the Ronaldinho era well, but I wouldn't put that beyond most reasonably good managers. The rest was a stroll and, if they ever needed to shake things up a bit all they need to do was go raid Arsenal and other feeder clubs of theirs.

Easy job, so easy he got bored with it. A manager that gets bored after winning everything for a couple of years... fecking hell, why would we ever want THAT to replace SAF?

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
That clip on Sky of the reporter hounding him made me laugh, big grin on his face as he runs off. David Moyes, superstar.

Irwinwastheking

For sanity's sake, this was my neutral view back in December, when we didn't feel the world was falling apart around us.
I went back and looked at my past in this thread and I was consistent with how I am today.

I must have a look at the old thread from Niall too.

CnutOfAllCnuts

Bald Boring Cnut
Moyes' last 5 years of transfers:

Steven Naismith
Steven Pienaar
Kevin Mirallas
Brian Oviedo
John Stones
Marcus Hahnemann
Darron Gibson
Nicita Jelavic
Araz Abdullayev
Apostopol Vellios
Sylvain Distin
Diniyar Bilialetdinov
Johnny Heitinga
Lucas Neill
Jermain Beckford
Joao Silva
Magaye Gueye
Jan Mucha
Lars jacobsen
Louis Saha
Carlo Nash
Marouane Felliani
Seamus Coleman
Steven Pienaar
Leighton Baines
Stefan Wessels
Yakubu

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks

2. He didn't try to test himself (even Steve McLaren went abroad to test himself)
3. His only achievement seems to be to have maintained Everton to an average level
4. He has spent the 8th highest and avg position has been 8, hardly punching above his weight
5. Personally think he'll try and be a AVB at Chelsea, and come down on our players like a ton of bricks which won't work
McClaren went abroad to test himself? When was this? Am I forgetting something? He hasn't spent much, 5 million a year is what Kenright says. He's punched above his weight in nearly every year including this one.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
One may question how relevant it is, because we were at a very different place back then, but whoever pointed that out was right. Many wanted Clough, who was a bigger name than Fergie. Fergie wasn't an obvious choice and his ride was far from easy during his first years. But, again, the relevance of this is debatable. The game was different. There was no pressure to qualify for the CL every bloody season for starters.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
McClaren went abroad to test himself? When was this? Am I forgetting something? He hasn't spent much, 5 million a year is what Kenright says. He's punched above his weight in nearly every year including this one.
He won the Dutch league with FC Twente.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
One may question how relevant it is, because we were at a very different place back then, but whoever pointed that out was right. Many wanted Clough, who was a bigger name than Fergie. Fergie wasn't an obvious choice and his ride was far from easy during his first years. But, again, the relevance of this is debatable. The game was different. There was no pressure to qualify for the CL every bloody season for starters.
I've no doubt that a lot of fans did want somebody else. My point was that SAF's appointment then doesn't equate to Moyes's appointment now. It isn't like SAF was somebody with zero success who was appointed over Clough, he had achieved far more than Moyes has. So the comparison doesn't really apply.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
He has been managing Everton, on a shoestring. The fact he even keeps them consistently competitive is admirable.
:nono:

It's not. It's like asking a profitable local businessman to be the CEO of a multinational. Whole new ballgame. We don't have a shoestring here and a trophy a season is a minimum requirement. High stakes play, mate. Definitely not the same

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Jeez, you lot are really full of the Moyes of spring, aren't you?

Pscholes18

Then why is he being considered?

Irwinwastheking

It also eclipses anything Moyes has done, which is exactly my point.
Well it wasn't your point above, but maybe earlier.

Look if you're looking for another Fergie you're pissing against the wind. No British manager's record stands up to Fergie's, neither does that of a lot of the other contenders. Only Mourinho of the suggested successors has something that would stand up to what Fergie did at Aberdeen so unless you wanted us to struggle on without a manager you need to get over that one cos Mourinho ain't happening.

RDCR07

I genuinely worry about his ability to attract top players. I mean yes we have the name that is Manchester United but the manager counts a lot. And Im not sure players would be dreaming to play for David fecking Moyes. But like everyone has said, I am raging right now that he is almost hired but I guess he will get my backing as well once the season starts. But this first year is going to such a testing time for him especially with Mourinho liking to be coming back to Chelsea. I wont be surprised if we finished 3rd for the next season or two.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Well did I say I like him or respect him? He fecking sucks as a manager. I was just referring to the point you had forgotten he had gone abroad. So calm you tits.
I hadnt forgotten it. The point was "even" McClaren tried to test himself abroad. No he dicked the England job, then went abroad to save face. Moyes has not dicked the England job, he has had a decade of moderate success with Everton. Giving that up prematurely to go soul searching in Europe would be mental.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Moyes’ move to Old Trafford became a formality once United confirmed yesterday morning that Ferguson was to end his 27-year reign as manager following the Premier League fixture against West Bromwich Albion at the Hawthorns on May 19.

Despite long-term speculation linking Real coach Jose Mourinho with the United job, the Portuguese was not considered by the club’s American owners, the Glazer family.

Ferguson informed them in late February that this season would be his last. Neither United chief executive David Gill nor the Glazers tried to change his mind.

The Glazers and Gill sought Ferguson’s advice on the man best suited to succeed him and he nominated Moyes. Senior figures at the club *confirmed that the 71-year-old’s *contribution was fundamental to the decision to pursue Moyes.

Although Moyes’ lack of Champions League experience has been raised as a potential handicap to his ability to build on Ferguson’s legacy of two European Cups, United are confident that the 50-year-old will thrive among Europe’s elite.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...ob-but-Wayne-Rooney-seeks-exit-from-club.html

Chabon

I genuinely worry about his ability to attract top players. I mean yes we have the name that is Manchester United but the manager counts a lot. And Im not sure players would be dreaming to play for David fecking Moyes.
Do you think players dreamt of playing for "Jupp fecking Heynckes"?

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
So who would people really prefer to Moyes? Ferguson's own choice. Klopp? Mourinho?

Mourinho is a clown of the highest order. And as good of a manager as he can be, his particular brand of theatrics and indignity have no place in the halls of this great club.

Klopp seems to be the flavor of the month. With most people pointing out that Moyes has no European experience. Yet Klopp spent 7 years with Mainz prior to joining BvB, won feck all and even got relegated. Sometimes you just have to give someone a chance. At the end of the day I think people are just upset that this isn't a sexy appointment. It's a sensible one, not a sexy one. But the rock solid foundation of this club is built on sense. It's taken SAF 27 years to build this legacy. Moyes will come in, probably keep the vast majority of the backroom staff, eventually add Giggs and Scholes to the coaching team; and the brilliant institution that is MUFC will endure.

I look forward to his tenure rather than fear it. We should embrace him into the United family and all you doom mongers and naysayers should just feck off.

RDCR07

I hadnt forgotten it. The point was "even" McClaren tried to test himself abroad. No he dicked the England job, then went abroad to save face. Moyes has not dicked the England job, he has had a decade of moderate success with Everton. Giving that up prematurely to go soul searching in Europe would be mental.
I still think he should have left them a few years back. I mean its not like he was going to get the money anytime soon to improve. He was always going to compete for the 6-8th spot. I mean as a manager wouldnt you want change when things dont look like its improving? Why would you be happy getting the 6th or 7th spot every year?

Irwinwastheking

I genuinely worry about his ability to attract top players. I mean yes we have the name that is Manchester United but the manager counts a lot. And Im not sure players would be dreaming to play for David fecking Moyes. But like everyone has said, I am raging right now that he is almost hired but I guess he will get my backing as well once the season starts. But this first year is going to such a testing time for him especially with Mourinho liking to be coming back to Chelsea. I wont be surprised if we finished 3rd for the next season or two.
Would they dream of playing for roberto DiMateo at Chavski over at United for SAF as Hazard did.

You're point is completely retarded and has been proven so by players greed for money and trophies so move on to the next one on the list.

Commadus

Fergie recommended mcleish and wrote a letter of support to Randy Lerner. Moyes is a poor recommendation, .

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Moyes’ move to Old Trafford became a formality once United confirmed yesterday morning that Ferguson was to end his 27-year reign as manager following the Premier League fixture against West Bromwich Albion at the Hawthorns on May 19.

Despite long-term speculation linking Real coach Jose Mourinho with the United job, the Portuguese was not considered by the club’s American owners, the Glazer family.

Ferguson informed them in late February that this season would be his last. Neither United chief executive David Gill nor the Glazers tried to change his mind.

The Glazers and Gill sought Ferguson’s advice on the man best suited to succeed him and he nominated Moyes. Senior figures at the club *confirmed that the 71-year-old’s *contribution was fundamental to the decision to pursue Moyes.

Although Moyes’ lack of Champions League experience has been raised as a potential handicap to his ability to build on Ferguson’s legacy of two European Cups, United are confident that the 50-year-old will thrive among Europe’s elite.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...ob-but-Wayne-Rooney-seeks-exit-from-club.html
No surprise that Ferguson was involved, Moyes seems like his kind of choice. Seems like we're basing Moyes's appointment on the gut feeling that he'll be suited to the club rather than his track record. Which is fair enough in a way, if we're gonna trust anyone's judgement here it's SAF.

Still, if this has been on the cards since February it counters the argument that Mourinho and Ancelotti were unobtainable as they were going to Chelsea and Madrid respectively.

RDCR07

Do you think players dreamt of playing for "Jupp fecking Heynckes"?
Eh what? Pep is taking over this summer. Thats what attracted Götze. Heynckes only took over last year. The only real big change is they got Martinez this year. Everyone else were already there. And thats Germany where the biggest competition is Dortmund. In England, you have City, Chelsea and to a certain extent Arsenal. Also Heynckes has won three Bundesliga titles and one Champions League.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
I genuinely worry about his ability to attract top players. I mean yes we have the name that is Manchester United but the manager counts a lot.
Come on, Manchester United is not just any old name. A practically managerless Chelsea beat us to Hazard. Players that want to come within what we want to pay for them will come in. The main concern with Moyes is how he will manage real talent. I have faith in him in that respect, but yes it's a bit of a gamble, but one taken for all the right reasons I think. If it works he will not feck off after a few years, even if followed by a drop off. In a world of short term, flavour of the month madness it's quite a sane decision for me.

rio's upper lip

No way.

Relegation beckons.

Status
Not open for further replies.