MU TOUR 2023: USA Confirmed

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
US airports are like 1970s football stadiums. Just there for one function. Its an antiquated model.

There has to be a new business model to keep up with the times.

Get in, get out facility. Its like most downtown of major cities.

But its a vicious cycle really. If the airport isn't profitable or made more commercial then the experience & services are poor -- lack of staff/long queues, old facilities, dirty etc. So you get in, get out

If the authorities make it more of a better experience for both the visitors and the passengers, they may stay longer and spend more money at the restaurants, shops etc which will allow the airport authorities to keep the place well run -- like upgrades at the gates with better design flow etc. All to maximise the space used beyond shipping passengers in & out of the facility.

Its like any place that goes beyond its basic function -- modern football stadiums all have other facilities to maximise both the fan experience and the floor space. Airports ought to be the same. Or no different to a mobile phone when it goes beyond just the talking/chat/communication function.

The longer you can keep the passenger/football fan in the facility then the more money you can extract from the customer. Then there is money to ensure that experience is optimal.

Finally, airports are generally the 1st impression you have of the city. Crap airport, the chances are that you have a poor impression of how the city is run. Bad for investors.
Why would I wanna hang out at an airport though if not just to catch a plane asap? One big difference is the security approach between European and American airports. Typically vendors only exist in the secure area. In Europe it often feels like there is an entire mall before security even. The way revenues and fees are collected are also vastly different. Regardless either sides of the ocean have great (i.e. DEN, DTW, ZRH and FRA) and shit airports (i.e. LHR, CDG, LAX and LGA)

Last edited:

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Genuinely cannot decide whether to go to the San Diego game.
Pluses - San DIego, United, feck it
Minuses - Hot, pricey, typical pre-season "match" with heavy emphasis on " "
The only game in west coast and they decided it's against fecking Wrexham. And most likely they'll be kids playing.

JB7

US airports are like 1970s football stadiums. Just there for one function. Its an antiquated model.

There has to be a new business model to keep up with the times.

Get in, get out facility. Its like most downtown of major cities.

But its a vicious cycle really. If the airport isn't profitable or made more commercial then the experience & services are poor -- lack of staff/long queues, old facilities, dirty etc. So you get in, get out

If the authorities make it more of a better experience for both the visitors and the passengers, they may stay longer and spend more money at the restaurants, shops etc which will allow the airport authorities to keep the place well run -- like upgrades at the gates with better design flow etc. All to maximise the space used beyond shipping passengers in & out of the facility.

Its like any place that goes beyond its basic function -- modern football stadiums all have other facilities to maximise both the fan experience and the floor space. Airports ought to be the same. Or no different to a mobile phone when it goes beyond just the talking/chat/communication function.

The longer you can keep the passenger/football fan in the facility then the more money you can extract from the customer. Then there is money to ensure that experience is optimal.

Finally, airports are generally the 1st impression you have of the city. Crap airport, the chances are that you have a poor impression of how the city is run. Bad for investors.
Sorry what, the idea of "get in, get out" at an airport is outdated? :lol:

I find this whole attitude really odd. To be clear, I'm not from and have never lived in the US, but I have been to many different states (and by extension, cities) within the US and have experienced both larger and smaller airports.

In Europe there is often more to do because you are travelling international and therefore have to be at the airport earlier (for example in the UK travel companies always recommended to be at the airport 3 hours before the flight for flights leaving Europe and 2 hours for flights within Europe) and most people seem to follow such guidelines, even though it's not really necessary. As such there needs to be things to do as there as people feel they have to be at the airport for hours before the flight.

In my experience of travelling between cities in the US, there is far less need to get to the airport early. I believe the TSA still recommend arriving early but most people seem not to. As such you don't want to be wading through shop after bar after shop after fast-food outlet etc, just get to your gate and travel.

And once you've arrived at the destination I don't know anyone who ever does anything than grab their bag, maybe use the toilet, and immediately leaves the airport.

Like I take your point about basic functions, but for me I want the airport to be a basic function. If anything I want to spend less time there, not more.

Why would I wanna hang out at an airport though if not just to catch a plane asap? One big difference is the security approach between European and American airports. Typically vendors only exist in the secure area. In Europe it often feels like there is an entire mall before security even. The way revenues and fees are collected are also vastly different. Regardless either sides of the ocean have great (i.e. DEN, DTW, ZRH and FRA) and shit airports (i.e. LHR, CDG, LAX and LGA)
It depends on the airport in Europe to be fair. Most of the transatlantic flights are obviously into much bigger airports. If you're flying within Europe there are plenty of much smaller airports that seem more like a big bus station than an airport, in the UK for example you've got Teeside, Bournemouth and even Bristol, and smaller airports I've used in Europe over the past 12 months or so would include Santander, San Sebastian and Reus, all Spain to be fair but that's where United have played. Even Bergamo is a very small airport given the amount of traffic that passes through it.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Other than being massive, there’s nothing wrong with LAX. San Diego is a different matter. It’s easy enough to get in an and out of, but you have fly between high rise building in downtown as you approach the landing strip. White knuckles time for passengers as the captain lands the plane.

I’m skipping the Wrexham match. Not worth the cost and hassle for a youth team match. Better to spend just a little more and go to OT for the real thing.
San Diego is just a big curve on approach, if you want jinks then Reagan National in DC is your friend

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
There's a reason the vendors are past security in the US, prior to 9/11 you didn't require a boarding pass to go thru security, thus US airports didn't need to have everything on both sides

astracrazy

That's not a whole lot better, JFK is the worst for flying to Europe, it takes on average an hour to get to take off position in the evening!
For such a common route nothing ever seems to go that smoothly. Took me an hour last month from boarding to take off. Although this was apparently because LHR wouldn't let us land before 6am, so we had to sit at the gate for an hour. Which kind of made me wonder about the scheduling of the flight....surely the plane doesn't sit at the gate for an hour after boarding every single day before taxing, why not just delay the departure time.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
For such a common route nothing ever seems to go that smoothly. Took me an hour last month from boarding to take off. Although this was apparently because LHR wouldn't let us land before 6am, so we had to sit at the gate for an hour. Which kind of made me wonder about the scheduling of the flight....surely the plane doesn't sit at the gate for an hour after boarding every single day before taxing, why not just delay the departure time.
The main issue with JFK in this regard is the number of flights leaving for Europe, sometimes you're held at the gate because there's no space on the taxiways, I remember a few years back the pilot announcing we were number 57 in the queue for take-off, sometimes it's a knock-on effect, weather delays cause havoc with timings, the bad weather doesn't even need to be in the NY area, the whole system is a house of cards really

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Nobody gives a shit about wrexham, celebrity owners or not. United don't come to the US every year.
Plenty of people do give a shit though, it's one of the reasons United are playing them

Big Andy

Bloke
Plenty of people do give a shit though, it's one of the reasons United are playing them
You'd be surprised mate, I've seen Americans come to Wrexham on holiday this past year or so. People from Florida coming to Wrexham ON HOLIDAY!!!

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
You'd be surprised mate, I've seen Americans come to Wrexham on holiday this past year or so. People from Florida coming to Wrexham ON HOLIDAY!!!
You're responding to the wrong person - I agree with you :)

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout

"It's in our power to get the right man [striker] in.

"We know our targets.

"We do everything we can, every effort we put in to get this done.

"It's an area where we need improvement."

When asked about Tottenham captain Harry Kane and why no move had been made for the Spurs star, Ten Hag replied: "I don't come in to talk about specific players who are under contract at another club."

Erik was also pressed on whether there were any financial constraints when planning our next move, as has been suggested in some quarters.

"You have to talk," he said. "You make the question to the wrong person. I am aware of finance, of FFP rules. Across United, we do everything to get the target in."

The boss also accepts that it is a team responsibility to score more goals in 2023/24 than we managed in his maiden campaign in charge.

"We proved, also last season, we can be very successful. We didn't have too many strikers. We still proved we were successful. I expect more from our front players. On a higher level. I said we have to raise the bar. I expect more from all the players. So from the front players but also across the whole team, we expect more goals."

trevor newnham

Supports
Vigo RFC, Charlton
Nobody gives a shit about wrexham, celebrity owners or not. United don't come to the US every year.
I'd still like to watch it but it isn't on MUTV. Or indeed, are MUTV showing it at a layer date, it seems

criticalanalysis

I have not read any of this thread or other posts so this is probably completely out of context:

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
I have not read any of this thread or other posts so this is probably completely out of context:

Yeah it's cool and I can very much appreciate a nice airport - but it's also quite different when smaller countries have really only one, maybe two large airports as the connection to the world. If it would be my country I too would pump a lot in that because it's literally the face to the world. In the US that's obviously quite a different story where there are over 5k public airports of which over 500 have commercial service. A lot different market too. The US domestic market is larger than the entire rest of the world combined (last I checked anyway) and you obviously don't need to introduce the US to Americans.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.

The basic idea of expanding an airport beyond its basic function is financial sustainability to allow it to afford & maintain the best services. No longer a cost centre for the local government.
Beyond that, it creates the best impression of a city since it's the first point of entry for many -- great knock-on effect for future investment or tourism. Its a branding/marketing tool.

Trust me when I know airports -- I have flown out of Hayes, Kansas (where you have tumbleweeds rolling past you on the runway) to O'Hare to Schiphol to Abu Dhabi to Beijing to Changi.

I know which I rather have.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The basic idea of expanding an airport beyond its basic function is financial sustainability to allow it to afford & maintain the best services. No longer a cost centre for the local government.
Beyond that, it creates the best impression of a city since it's the first point of entry for many -- great knock-on effect for future investment or tourism. Its a branding/marketing tool.

Trust me when I know airports -- I have flown out of Hayes, Kansas (where you have tumbleweeds rolling past you on the runway) to O'Hare to Schiphol to Abu Dhabi to Beijing to Changi.

I know which I rather have.
It's definitely not the first 2!

ahmedou

I'll be at New Jersey tomorrow. To see the friendly game between Manchester United vs Arsenal.

I'd liked to know which hotel they're. Unfortunately, the team is keeping it private. Maybe it's in Marriott (but which one Idk) - as this is their official sponsor. The fans deserve to see their players though.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Why is this a thread about airports?

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Wrexham match is a youth squad isn't it, and not officially part of the tour

I would guess mutv will show it seeing as they've been running adverts about it for months with Ryan Reynolds