MUTV

Nikhil

I thought it would be nice to have a thread on our club channel MUTV to discuss about all the shows on it and the various interviews with players, staff etc.

I used to watch the show "Live from Old Trafford" which usually had Lou Macari and Paddy Crerand on it. Paul Parker was an occasional guest as well. It was usually hosted by Hayley McQueen (when she was with the channel or Mandy Henry)

Stewart Gardner and Crerand are pretty good commentators for match day. Obviously you wouldn't watch it if you wanted a neutral perspective on the game or anything else MUFC related.

So, MUTV.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
"It's an average club channel, Stewart. It's an average club channel."

Even though apart from the U23/U18 matches there's nothing special on it, it's exactly because of those I'm pissed I can't get it here :(

NYAS

Very disappointed I can't get it in the Middle East. Used to have it up until about 2006.

The club have sold the full, exclusive regional rights (consisting of about 25 countries) to a company that only broadcasts services to about half of one of those countries. How stupid is that?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I thought it would be nice to have a thread on our club channel MUTV to discuss about all the shows on it and the various interviews with players, staff etc.

I used to watch the show "Live from Old Trafford" which usually had Lou Macari and Paddy Crerand on it. Paul Parker was an occasional guest as well. It was usually hosted by Hayley McQueen (when she was with the channel or Mandy Henry)

Stewart Gardner and Crerand are pretty good commentators for match day. Obviously you wouldn't watch it if you wanted a neutral perspective on the game or anything else MUFC related.

So, MUTV.
Disagree about Crerand being 'pretty good' at anything personally. He seems a nice guy and a strong defender of the club, but his overall level of cluelessness is only bettered by Macari on there.

WhoDaGOAT

It's only good for watching The U18s, U23s, Pre-season Tours and press conferences. You get the occasional good documentary every few years.

Uniquim

I like Paddy. He's so ridiculously biased when commentating.

Even his commentator partner gets baffled at his statements at times.

United 4 Life

It's an in-house TV Station so you'd expect there would be a little bias when commentating, however when the team is not playing well Paddy is one of the first to highlight this during games.

I think he is great, his reaction to Phil Jones' blonde hair when he first saw it was classic.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Crerand and Macari are beyond shit. Absolutely clueless the pair of them. Luckily they don't really commentate on the u21s anymore so I don't have to put up with their drivel.

Nikhil

Very disappointed I can't get it in the Middle East. Used to have it up until about 2006.

The club have sold the full, exclusive regional rights (consisting of about 25 countries) to a company that only broadcasts services to about half of one of those countries. How stupid is that?
I had it in the Middle East upto 2009/2010. Is it no longer available?

NYAS

I had it in the Middle East upto 2009/2010. Is it no longer available?
Where did you have access to it in 2009? It used to be on ART and then that got bought by AD Sports, then by Al-Jazeera Sports which then turned into BeIN and I haven't had MUTV for about ten years now.

According to United's official web-site the full, exclusive regional rights have been sold to STC (Saudi Telecom) which isn't even a media company, it's a telecommunications provider that has a service called "InVision" which is basically streaming TV programs, and even that isn't available for all of Saudi Arabia let alone other Gulf and Middle Eastern countries.

Very frustrating. I used to watch every academy and reserves game and now I have to really work to keep up with both in detail.

Nikhil

Where did you have access to it in 2009? It used to be on ART and then that got bought by AD Sports, then by Al-Jazeera Sports which then turned into BeIN and I haven't had MUTV for about ten years now.

According to United's official web-site the full, exclusive regional rights have been sold to STC (Saudi Telecom) which isn't even a media company, it's a telecommunications provider that has a service called "InVision" which is basically streaming TV programs, and even that isn't available for all of Saudi Arabia let alone other Gulf and Middle Eastern countries.

Very frustrating. I used to watch every academy and reserves game and now I have to really work to keep up with both in detail.
Yeah, I used to get it on ART Sports which then became Al Jazeera Sports. This was till 2009, which is when I left the Gulf.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Had it until 2013, now I don't.
Would still like to have it though.

prath92

I used to be in the middle east till 2010 or so and I had a DSTV connection (based in africa) during that period. Supersport had MUTV iirc. Never used to watch it much at the time though.

ChaddyP

Recently just got this hear on the island as my cable provioder is a partner with Manchester United. So i essentially get it for "free" with my EPL subscription. I get to watch the u23 and u18 games now and get to watch alot of the post match and pre match discussions

stevoc

Mutv is well past it's sell by date. They've had basically the same tired format since i started watching it back in 2002-03, phone-ins with mostly the same 5-10 bores phoning in every week and droning on for 15 minutes. Say something positive Macari agrees with you, say something negative Lou disagrees with you. Rinse repeat.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Mutv is well past it's sell by date. They've had basically the same tired format since i started watching it back in 2002-03, phone-ins with mostly the same 5-10 bores phoning in every week and droning on for 15 minutes. Say something positive Macari agrees with you, say something negative Lou disagrees with you. Rinse repeat.
I only have it as I don't have Sky Sports so it gives me a chance to see the games the next day. Although over the last couple of years I have not felt inclined to either watch the games or
re-watch if I have seen them live on BT. I hope we get more games like last weeks against Leicester. I feel it have just become one big commercial.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
For a club the size of Manchester United, the TV channel is rubbish, the website is one of the worst around and we don't even have a women's football team. Pretty damning really. I used to have MUTV online until a couple of years ago when they sold us out on that as well too.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
For a club the size of Manchester United, the TV channel is rubbish, the website is one of the worst around and we don't even have a women's football team. Pretty damning really. I used to have MUTV online until a couple of years ago when they sold us out on that as well too.
1. It is significantly better than any other clubs it isn't saying much as to it's overall quality but it is nowhere near the worst around
2. Yep, got nothing for that one.
3. I think we do, just not a professional one, a number of those who went to the last WC trained with us until they turned pro IIRC.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
I wish they'd show more classic full matches. So far I only saw 2 matches the one from 05 vs Ars and vs Everton from 07

Ixion

I can't listen to the commentary. Everything Stewart Gardner says sounds fake and lacking in genuine emotion. Paddy is terrible obviously but there's at least some entertainment from his bias.

Mr Smith

If you have access to the games from another source, there's no way it's worth it. Of late I have had to mute games I'm watching, the commentary is abysmal. The channel as a whole is really just a propaganda machine.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
I don't mind it. Find it more interesting when United lose. I enjoy the Paddy Crerand show, the United archives, Football League Files programs and some documentaries they show. Good to see Mandy Henry every so often too. Many of the pundits are bland as feck. Only Paddy Crerand and Ron Atkinson are worth listening to really.

Litch

Love paddy, and me and my lad laugh at his totally biased comments.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Concerns about 5 members here, but happy to get the news today that Viasat in Finland will show MUTV programs in the future, starting from today :D

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
The Paddy Crerand show might as well have been renamed the Wayne Rooney show this week.

Crimson King

Lou Macari offers some grounded feedback after a game, helps me get back a sense of perspective and not just lose my shit after a bad result.

Feel dirty when Big Ron is on there though...

Adebesi

When I had MUTV years ago I initially assumed I would principally use it to watch the youth games. As it turned out though, I watched it far more when I was drunk after games and wanted to listen to muppets calling in to whinge about this or that player. You know, to complement reading the same shit on here.

RedFish

The youth and reserve games are what make it worth watching. The special documentaries about Ex Utd players - Forlan 'When the Floodlights fade' can be pretty good too. Most of the other stuff is pretty garbage.

thoward

It's not a lisp!
They produce some good documentaries, and have been for several years. It's good to watch highlights of games from the past, and being able to watch all the goals from various players like Cantona, Giggs, Scholes, Van Nistelorooy, Rooney, Cole etc. And of course showing the reserves, youths and pre season friendlies live. The punditry is generally mediocre of course, Danny Higginbotham was good when he was on it(and is clearly someone who watches a lot of football), and Djordic the few times he has been on it. Someone like Macari isn't really biased, he can be quite critical, but clearly comes across as someone who doesn't know a lot about a lot of other teams and players, and seems to have rose tinted spectacles about football when he was playing and managing compared to now. The phone ins probably have got worse over time, one problem is that you often get the same callers over and over again(and they let on plenty of people moaning about the players and the team), John in Wetherby is more miserable than Victor Meldrew.

When Liverpool TV was free to air, I turned it on the very odd time(I know that's awful) and they are more biased than MUTV and far more bitter about other clubs. They had a programme called Kop 10 Teams We Love To Hate, and were extremely bitter about Fergie when he was in conflict with Benitez. Paddy Crerand is obviously extremely biased, but at least he doesn't come across as a bitter twat like someone like John Aldridge.

Robertd0803

Documentary's are good as is the coverage of the reserves/youth teams etc. Managers press conferences are good but wait until the second airing when they can show the full conference including the press embargoed bits. I don't bother with the phone-ins or any of that unless we have made a big signing or beaten one of our rivals. Who doesn't like to watch hype and gloating :)

Had a pre-match routine for years where I would have to watch the line up come out on MUTV before switching over to the match on Sky or whatever. If I was heading out to watch the match id have to watch at least 5 minutes of MUTV that day for that to count for the superstition. Which involved watching at 7.30 am going to work until 5 or 6 and then heading to pub for the match. Can't remember why I stopped that particular habit to be honest.

It is amusing to see the guy that did the commentary before Stewart Gardner now on Match of the Day where he is so much better than he was on MUTV bizarrely.

grahamo

Love the Paddy Crerand show. His match commentating makes me laugh as he is so biased and rightly so. Well done Paddy! Stuart Gardner tries his best to be dramatic with his commentary but he is so over dramatic its cringeworthy sometimes. I like MUTV in general but I would like the presenters to be more controversial and tell it like it is and say what the fans and themselves are thinking rather than toeing the line. They seem to be afraid to ad lib and move away from the spin which they seem to be told to broadcast