Nabil Fekir

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wino1

Why are you lads putting him in as part of midfield three? The last match i watched him for France he almost played as a forward(as a number 10 in diamond)
He will play in front of Keita and Fabinho imo. No other way. As you say he is a 10. Nothing else. If they use him else where he is nowhere near as effective.

J-Stander

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Looks like a French Luke Shaw. Fat bastard. Not arsed.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
He will play in front of Keita and Fabinho imo. No other way. As you say he is a 10. Nothing else. If they use him else where he is nowhere near as effective.
But Keita is hardly defensively great isn't he? In PL, you can't play with two attacking oriented midfielders most of the time. The reason why Liverpool's front three worked so brilliantly because the the three behind them did all the dirty work.

Mind you, I'm basing this on the assumption that Keita isn't great defensively.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Another poor signing along with Keita and Fabinho.

He couldn't even outscore or outshine Depay.
Says it all.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Great player for their attack. They have made a set of very good signings. I will riot if we don't close the Arnautovic deal now to fire a message of intent to them.

Infra-red

Depay was going to be, too. There are no guarantees.
Of course that's true (Depay is a decent comparison as he has more goals and more assists than Fekir this season, playing in the same side) and he'll have a step-up in the quality of opposition he has to deal with (as well as all the other problems of adapting to a new country). I think he's well-suited to the Premier league, though, and will unfortunately do very well.

Cathy Ferguson

That's a pretty big fee. That's almost 120m for two players for Klopp. Can't really just keep on finishing top4 now with spending this type of money.
Didn't they get around that amount for Coutinho? They keep buying good players but they lack a solid DM, Keita and Fabinho do not fit the bill.

luke511

So livid they've signed him, only Bale will take the pain away.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Why are you lads putting him in as part of midfield three? The last match i watched him for France he almost played as a forward(as a number 10 in diamond)
That's what I thought as well. Maybe some people are in denial about the prospects of losing one of Salah or Mane and are shoehorning Fekir into midfield to compensate.

Infra-red

But Keita is hardly defensively great isn't he? In PL, you can't play with two attacking oriented midfielders most of the time. The reason why Liverpool's front three worked so brilliantly because the the three behind them did all the dirty work.

Mind you, I'm basing this on the assumption that Keita isn't great defensively.
Tackles are not synonymous with good defensive play of course, but Keita averaged 3 per 90 mins in the Bundesliga last season, which is a similar rate to Kante, Gueye and Ndidi (the three players with the most tackles in the Premier League).

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
In any case it’ll take some gelling. Three players instantly into midfield/one of those in attack will most likely not just click instantly.

vanderpants

Wow , the dippers are creating a decent team here, all they need now is a keeper and a CB and they will challenge city for the league

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Very interesting player, has a Hazard style about him.

Might take him a while to settle in at Liverpool though, pretty much their Coutinho replacement though considering the position he plays.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He'll play as a 10 for Pool.

Yagami

Good post resistant
That's what I thought as well. Maybe some people are in denial about the prospects of losing one of Salah or Mane and are shoehorning Fekir into midfield to compensate.
Is it likely that either one of them will leave? As someone who's watched Fekir all season long, buying him to play in a midfield 3 is just what I'd expect. He'll be world class there. He could also play up front in a 2 with Firmino as they both work incredibly hard defensively to compensate for two midfielders - like us with Rooney and Tevez.

Andersons Dietician

I mean they played Countinho in a 3 who is of a similar sort of ilk but Fekir is harder working and more capable at defending.
I would think they are probably more likely to have Fabinho and Keita slightly more withdrawn. Keita has the energy and explosiveness to get about and drive forward and join the attack. Fabinho the same, but getting them all to gel and be aware of each other will be the hard part. They might actually be more of an open team than they are currently.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
You just know they will have no problem scoring goals.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
You could make a case for Fabinho as a Matic backup, but we don't really have space for a #10. No need for meltdowns here.
My friend, you don't know Caf.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I mean they played Countinho in a 3 who is of a similar sort of ilk but Fekir is harder working and more capable at defending.
I would think they are probably more likely to have Fabinho and Keita slightly more withdrawn. Keita has the energy and explosiveness to get about and drive forward and join the attack. Fabinho the same, but getting them all to gel and be aware of each other will be the hard part. They might actually be more of an open team than they are currently.
I wouldn't say that they are the same ilk, Fékir has not only played as a striker but with Lacazette they were more a combination striker/second striker than anything else. Fékir is a good all around player, so in theory you could use him almost anywhere but his best role is an hybrid 10/second striker.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Why did the Lyon president suggest this wasn’t happening before the World Cup earlier today?

I don’t think we’re selling Mane or Salah. Fekir is Coutinho’s replacement and this is us spending that money.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Why did the Lyon president suggest this wasn’t happening before the World Cup earlier today?
It might still not, I wouldn't count your chickens until you see something official

Wino1

Fabinho and Keita is more than enough against any of the teams outside of the top 6.

Granted they will probably drop Henderson or someone similar in against the bigger teams, or like they did against city was just to go for it (which worked).

The one thing they have in Fabinho, Keita, Fekir, Salah, Mane, and Firmino is energy. The work rate from all of those players is great.

They really just need to replace Lovren and Karius and they have a great chance next season.

So annoying as Fekir is one of the players I have followed for ages, one of the reasons why I enjoy watching Lyon :(

Status
Not open for further replies.