Name a better footballer than Phil Jones - Twitter UK

0le

Extremely embarrassing and in poor taste.

TheMod

How is that abuse? Abuse would be personal attacks, not whether he is a very good footballer. He would be delusional if he thought he was actually good.
Get out!

It is targeted and Phil Jones is an easy target as he receives a lot of negative press for his playing style, especially the faces he pulls when trying his hardest and giving 100% commitment to our club on the pitch. This in itself deserves respect.

Then this tweet coming from official Twitter UK is embarrassing especially as they say publicly they want to stop abuse on their platform. They are acting as trolls and relighting the match on Phil Jones to get abused. It is shameful and I really hope Man Utd Twitter or someone from the club defends him.

Also people who say this is a joke and shouldn't be taken seriously. Let me tell you once may be a joke, maybe twice but the constant abuse he gets makes it essentially bullying and has potential for mental health issues.

Remember Luke Chadwick, he had good potential but the abuse he suffered cause major mental health issues. Article below.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/52652459

This is so wrong on so many levels from Twitter UK

Reactions: SilentWitness

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
I've been away from that hellhole for years now. Since when did Twitter itself feel the need to contribute towards the guff being spouted? Is it not enough that they provide a platform for all the other lunatics to do this?

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
At least Phil jones has a talent which far exceeds the average person. I’d rather they tweet ‘name someone more plastic than Kylie Jenner?’. Celebrities like that are talentless hacks who make a fortune at the expense of others. It’s a pitiful reflection of our society that they take the piss out of someone for afew faces and especially from an official channel.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I wonder if he actually cares about stuff like this. I’m sure he’s aware of it; however, would he really give a feck? I mean, he might not be Manchester United quality but he’s still an England international and extremely successful in his chosen sport. Not to mention a multi millionaire at 28 years old. It’s entirely possible he doesn’t give any credence to nonsense like this and nor should he.
I'm sure it hurts him - I mean his career has basically been ruined because his body keeps failing him. That's quite easily something that anyone could get depression over.

Raw

What did the tweet say? Looks like it's been removed now.
"Name a better footballer than Phil Jones", with no option to reply which insinuates that there is no one better (which is clearly made out as a joke). Twitter UK made this tweet themselves to mock Phil Jones for no reason other than "banter and memes".

stevoc

At least Phil jones has a talent which far exceeds the average person. I’d rather they tweet ‘name someone more plastic than Kylie Jenner?’. Celebrities like that are talentless hacks who make a fortune at the expense of others. It’s a pitiful reflection of our society that they take the piss out of someone for afew faces and especially from an official channel.
Wouldn't it be better if they just didn't target anyone?

fps

I'm sure it hurts him - I mean his career has basically been ruined because his body keeps failing him. That's quite easily something that anyone could get depression over.
One interview and everyone’s perspective of Jones changes I reckon. It’s fun to talk about his funny faces he sometimes pulls or him having a mistake in him, but there’s something else overtaking that, the scorn that gets piled on from people who frankly have often achieved nothing in their lives is pretty grotesque.

Witchking

How is that abuse? Abuse would be personal attacks, not whether he is a very good footballer. He would be delusional if he thought he was actually good.
Can't believe that you need an explanation for this.
What they have done is wrong. They can have no justification for such a tasteless tweet.

Zen86

It said, name a better footballer than Phil Jones.
They blocked comments, then they must have realised they messed up and deleted the tweet

Dick move, so much so that I’m inclined to think it’s someone hijacking the account. Incredible if not.

paulscholes18

Dick move, so much so that I’m inclined to think it’s someone hijacking the account. Incredible if not.
I would have thought they have came out and said if it was hacked, and I don’t think if someone hacked the account they would have turned off the comments. Looks like they are trying to sweep it under the carpet and pretend it never happened as they haven’t came out and apologised for it.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
It's difficult for Phil Jones. The faces stuff is a symptom of his situation and standing but not an outright cause, as if he had gone on to become a good and reliable footballer for United for the duration of his contracts a few odd faces would be a low footnote in his career. The fact they're up there as one of his most notable characteristics, along with being injured most of the time and prone to putting his body in some quite fantastical situations on the pitch when he does play, is proof that it is impossible at this stage to take him seriously as a footballer, even though he's actually achieved more than the vast majority of people ever will in the game and put in some genuinely impressive performances here and there. I have to say for me it is no surprise Jones is now seen as a tragicomic, pitiful figure as we've seen it building first hand as United fans; just look through his threads at the amount of green smilies and offhand digs, or even his player avatar in the Player Performance Forum. Actively bullying, abusing or inviting that kind of reaction through tweets like the one we're discussing here is out of order, but as I said I'm saddened to see such conduct but not surprised.

RickG19

Can anyone post what the original tweet said? been taken down now.

SuperiorXI

Twitter is a shit hole. Only got time for a handful of accounts and still have to mute a shit load of words for it to be remotely enjoyable.

Zen86

I would have thought they have came out and said if it was hacked, and I don’t think if someone hacked the account they would have turned off the comments. Looks like they are trying to sweep it under the carpet and pretend it never happened as they haven’t came out and apologised for it.
I’m more wondering if it’s just some social media grad who’s gone off piste trying to be funny on the account.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Phil Jones is a very good footballer. You don't get to play for England if you are poor, which is what many posters on this forum believe Phil Jones is. His problem is his injury record, which is very lengthy, but when he was fit and playing regularly he was a solid dependable CB. We haven't seen him at his best for approx three seasons now, and I think people forget the good games he had. Typical bullying, picking on the players who are down and getting a good kicking from people who should know better.

Robbie Boy

Social media in general is a total fecking cess pit, so much so that I very rarely use it. All the 'lads banter' pages etc are some of the worst shit to ever grace the internet.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He’s never been remotely as bad as people made him out to be, he’s not at United’s level but some high profile mistakes have some people making him out to be a pub player.

Himannv

His biggest problem has been his fitness. I think that, more than anything else, really messed up his development. Having said that, he's far from a useless player and can make it at a smaller club that suits him more tactically.

diarm

The lad starts for probably every side in the league outside the top 6. The glee opposition fans have taken in abusing anything and everything United during recent years is a reflection of how much our two decades of utter dominance got inside their heads.

You've probably got around 10 centre backs in the Prem who are clearly and obviously better than him. After that, he's in a large group of guys who can be good or poor on any given day. I can certainly think of plenty who are significantly worse.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I don't accept 'hijacked'. They should have barriers and methods in place to ensure that is impossible, or fully accept consequences if it is.

Hijacked or otherwise, club should make an official protest and recompense of some means should be negotiated.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
Twitter can feck off to be honest.

Although to be fair that question could easily allude that there are no better footballers than Phil Jones.

But still, twitter can feck off. And the majority of their users can feck right off too. Shit platform giving a voice to idiots.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
The intention is to mock someone and make a fun of the player.

I would question why you would even be going on social media as a footballer, anyway. With or without this tweet, those type of people will always be posting their personal attacks. You are inviting people like that to personally attack you. The only thing they can do is stay off it.
There are kids out there are using social media such a twitter, Facebook & etc. Grown up might understand it but the kids don’t. Bad influence and there are thousands footballers they could pick, why Phil Jones?

It seems strange, though, considering what fans say at football matches is probably worse than those comments. Yet, that seems to be accepted. There is no escaping that environment as a footballer.
There are terrorist killing hundreds of people from single attack, that doesn’t mean a guy who kill one person is right just because someone else do worse.

Red00012

Throw this thread back up when Phil Jones fecks up again and notice the change in the comments.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Surprised at everyone jumping to his defence here when they’re all too happy to abuse him themselves on here. His picture in the performance thread says it all, this place ain’t any better.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Surprised at everyone jumping to his defence here when they’re all too happy to abuse him themselves on here. His picture in the performance thread says it all, this place ain’t any better.
Caf is full of cnuts too if we're all honest.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Whilst I loosely agree, I think there is a difference someone saying he's rubbish on here (as it's most likely within the context of not being good enough to play for United) which is a small forum in the grand scheme of things, and for Twitter to post it on their official account.

Broadly though, you're right, some of our players do get way too much abuse on here.

Pav1878

Maybe Manchester United should start a tweet asking if Twitter are any good at their jobs?