Name a better footballer than Phil Jones - Twitter UK

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
How is that abuse? Abuse would be personal attacks, not whether he is a very good footballer. He would be delusional if he thought he was actually good.
It’s encouraging abuse, something Twitter is supposedly against. I don’t really care, but it’s clear hypocrisy.

stu_1992

What a weird thing for of the official accounts of the platform to do. We all know Twitter can be a cesspool of abuse. And it's pretty clear Twitter don't do a good enough job of preventing, but I wil acknowledge to would take a crazy amount of moderation. But having said that, posting a tweet like this which is a clear fishing attempt to get people to juno on the "haha Phil Jones bad" train is a very bad look for the company. Bad form.

Devil81

You couldn't blame Phil Jones for turning his back on football, the online abuse the lad has got throughout his career is criminal.

The freeze-frame facial expressions could be any footballer if you actually took the time to go through all their last-ditch tackle photos. As someone else said on here, read the Luke Chadwick interview and then you will understand the long term effect this can have on someone's mental state and Luke didn't have social media being cruel to him in his day.

Could the abuse he's got be the reason for the decline in career?

It is a possibility.

Drainy

Unironically, Phil Jones is a very good footballer.

He is extremely unlucky with the way his career turned out due to injuries and gaps in playing.

Pisses me off that people don't remember how good he was when he had a run of games. They only remember the injury prone and rusty player.

GazTheLegend

How is that abuse? Abuse would be personal attacks, not whether he is a very good footballer. He would be delusional if he thought he was actually good.
It's bullying and abuse

Absolutely out of fecking order

Kag

Phil Jones has played over 200 games for Manchester United and 27 for England. What a mug, eh?

GazTheLegend

Phil Jones has played over 200 games for Manchester United and 27 for England. What a mug, eh?
He's won more trophies than most English players as well.

This sort of targeted bullying and harassment is everything that's wrong with social media. Abusing the mob mentality for likes by using human beings as easy targets?

Forgetting that there are actual human beings involved is wildly idiotic and dangerous too. You'd expect better from an official account, mind you everyone should feel responsible for avoiding this exact sort of shit.

No Love

Slightly naive and idealistic. Of course repeated personal attacks will impact people personally. It doesn't matter if you're Billy the shelf-stacker or a multimillionaire footballer, these things affect us. This doggy-piling stemmed from his facial expressions becoming a meme. There have been far, far worse footballers out there than Phil Jones, but it's his appearance which has led to this, which is really fecking depressing.
As I’ve said in a different post, it’s entirely plausible that it does have a negative impact on him. That much is true. Therefore, fundamentally, it shouldn’t have happened in the first place. I don’t condone the Tweet, or anything that is intended to incite hate or derogatory remarks. Not only is the Tweet in question irrelevant, it’s borderline bizarre. What I will say though is that I’m not sure Jones himself would be quite as outraged as some are on his behalf. We’ll never know for sure, as we’d have to know him personally to do so. I understand and take on board what you’re saying though and I appreciate that you’re not alone in your thinking.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Looking through the tweets they obviously like to have a banter style, but this just encourages harassment and abuse. Pretty stupid stuff.
I hate the banter style in the first place from most people on Twitter so that’s already annoying to me but yeah, this is nothing except targeting and encouraging abuse.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The part that I dislike the most is the insinuation that Jones is actually a terrible footballer. In the context of the very top of football, Phil Jones is a slightly below average player but in the context of the PL as a whole he is above average most CBs are worse than he is, it reminds me Evans last days at United where for some reason he was deemed to be lower league level when he is in fact a perfectly respectable PL player.

And yes Jones makes funny faces and sometimes has brainfarts, like the vast majority of players. The players that never make mistakes don't exist and the ones close to it are the very best players in the world.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Scumbag post from a scumbag social media giant. The self-fellating dickheads won’t even see their hypocrisy such is the height their head is stuck up their own arse yet they’ll have no trouble influencing you in what way to think on other matters and silencing opinions they don’t agree with or what they deem abuse.

Absolutely disgraceful behaviour and I would say the same had the tweet been about any sportsperson, let alone a United player.

Falcow

Disgraceful is right. I really hate this. It is bullying, plain and simple and anyone who joins in is nothing more than a bully themselves.

Jones is actually a decent defender and the injuries have really ruined him. You cant develop if you are not playing and elite football being what it is nowadays, any player needs a run of games to get back into it. The last time Jones had a run of games he was fine.

Dont care how much money he has accumulated from playing football, bullying is never ever right.

Thepinhead

So you are telling me a pro footballer isn't really good at football? :houllier:

vodrake

Jones is a decent Premier League defender whose career has been ruined by constant injuries and too high an expectation set on him when he was young. It's pathetic the way some players are targeted for abuse and ridicule because they've been given "meme" status, when they've still achieved far more in their lives than any of the people mocking them.

Zlatattack

We need some perspective - he's a human being.

• Phil Jones is 28. He's been at our club for nearly 10 years. He was a 19 year old boy when he joined.
  • In that time he's been out injured 674 days, over 19 seperate injuries, mostly related to his knees, ankles and hamstrings. This figure doesn't include time spent re-building to get match fit.
  • SAF and Capello both thought he'd be a great defender - unfortunately injury has ruined his career

Imagine the mental impact every time he plays for us, he's probably terrified of injuring himself again. Imagine the frustration of spending so much of your career injured. Owen talked about playing with fear and how it ruined his game. Maybe Jones has that too. Despite that we see him diving face first to stop make clearances for us. It's fair enough to say he's not good enough to play for the club, but some of the abuse he's got for us has been ridiculous.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Phil Jones might not be great, but when fit, he is a decent defender.

And he's better than every single cnut associated with that tweet and responders.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Let's not forget Jones did a man marking job on peak Ronaldo at Real Madrid and kept him pretty quiet.

The guy got "meme'd" because of his funny faces but the abuse he gets is very unfair. The United difference.

If that was posted genuinelly by a twitter employee he should be suing the shite out of them.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
For what it’s worth, I don’t think it matters how good of a footballer he is or putting perspective on what he has won etc. He could be the shittest footballer to exist and it still wouldn’t be okay.

RUCK4444

Out of order. Totally unnecessary.

He already gets hammered online for ‘the many faces of Phil Jones’

He’s not the worst player about, just permanently injured.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
It's been deleted. Interestingly most of the retweets (they disabled responses) were rightly supportive of Phil Jones

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Ah does anyone have a screenshot? What account did this?

Brophs

The One and Only
Always punch upwards is the fairly sensible rule. It reminds me of how Ricky Gervais used Twitter (and may still do, but I can’t be following that insufferable pissing dullard) where he’d reply to someone, often by searching his own name and then delete his Tweet once the pile on had occurred. It’s a cnut’s trick.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
It's so silly that it's widely accepted that being a reserve and not making it at Manchester United means you've failed as a footballer. To even become a top 2-3 tier footballer is a major achievement, vast majority of young lads who train hard don't even get to be considered by teams like Derby County or West Brom let alone get a contract from Man United. This man has played 264 games for one of the biggest clubs in the world, is widely recognized and has played for England numerous times. In terms of 'making it' he has by all means made it as a footballer and been way more successful in his line of work than any random Twitter guy. He's basically top 1% footballer in the world or higher, in any other profession it's deemed huge success.

Brophs

The One and Only
It's so silly that it's widely accepted that being a reserve and not making it at Manchester United means you've failed as a footballer. To even become a top 2-3 tier footballer is a major achievement, vast majority of young lads who train hard don't even get to be considered by teams like Derby County or West Brom let alone get a contract from Man United. This man has played 264 games for one of the biggest clubs in the world, is widely recognized and has played for England numerous times. In terms of 'making it' he has by all means made it as a footballer and been way more successful in his line of work than any random Twitter guy. He's basically top 1% footballer in the world, in any other profession it's deemed huge success.
It reminds me of Nick Hornby discussing Gus Caesar in Gus Caesar.

http://remotestorage.blogspot.com/2011/01/hornby-on-excellences-long-tail.html?m=1

Drawfull

How the feck is the Official Twitter UK account tweeting half the shit it does? Whoever's in charge of it is a Scouser as well judging by the shit they post.

Honestly, it reads like it's being maintained by a 15 year old.

Weirdos.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Come on man.

luck&neat

Following on from the Luke Chadwick article, and my own personal experiences with mental health I cannot take this sort of thing lightly. Banter from fans is one thing, and is always going to happen, but from the official account of the platform to be openly mocking someone like this is unprofessional at best and outright dangerous at worst. The tweet was up for over 13 hours before it was reported enough to be taken down which is shocking.

I've sent screenshots and links to several media outlets. Hopefully they take up the story in some form.

Reactions: Penna