Name a better footballer than Phil Jones - Twitter UK

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Mocking an ugly face is no different to mocking a skin color. It's out of the context though.
Having fun with somebody making a funny face while in the middle of a tackle is very different than making fun of someone for their actual looks. What Chadwick endured was completely out of line, but the funny photos of Jones is fine IMO. It's not like people are talking about him being ugly or anything (actually thinking about it, Rooney was on the end of a lot of harsh stuff).

UncleBob

I think what actually seperates people insulting someone on a board and on Twitter is that the subject of abuse is actually very likely to see the abuse if they go through their notifications, social media platforms give fans basically a direct line of contact to the person in question. Not to say that makes insulting anyone on this board okay.
It's the snowball effect and the amount of people they reach out to, suddenly the most trending topic on twitter is all about taking the piss out of Phil Jones and everyone is getting in on it...Bizarre that someone actually thought it was a good idea to post it.

Amerifan

"Name a better footballer than Phil Jones", with no option to reply which insinuates that there is no one better (which is clearly made out as a joke). Twitter UK made this tweet themselves to mock Phil Jones for no reason other than "banter and memes".
I’ll be crucified for pointing this out, but growing up in the US, ‘name a better X than Y‘ is a compliment, not an invitation to start listing better Xs. It’s said of someone who did something you respect. When I read the tweet I assumed they were complimenting Phil for something he had done recently, on or off the pitch. Like donate some of his time to a worthy cause or stop and fix someone’s tire by the side of the road or stay on the training pitch after everyone else left or something. I certainly hope that was the intent behind the tweet.

Gotta be more careful with those regional idioms, Twitter.

Sylar

I’ll be crucified for pointing this out, but growing up in the US, ‘name a better X than Y‘ is a compliment, not an invitation to start listing better Xs. It’s said of someone who did something you respect. When I read the tweet I assumed they were complimenting Phil for something he had done recently, on or off the pitch. Like donate some of his time to a worthy cause or stop and fix someone’s tire by the side of the road or stay on the training pitch after everyone else left or something. I certainly hope that was the intent behind the tweet.

In the UK, you will get a mocking tone for

Things better than x
Followed by a ridiculous amount of things which are better
Whilst the tweet couldn't have replies it could still have quoted RTs

They knew what they were doing and this wasn't a misunderstanding

Also fans (Utd) included are defensive by nature for their own. Fans may mock their own players but when other fans do it , the same fans will defend

And that's beside those who are saying this forum are hypocrites. Those defending aren't necessarily the ones who are quick to mock him as well. For example I think he should be sold but doesn't mean I think that tweet was acceptable

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?

They knew very well what they were doing. :lol:

Amerifan

In the UK, you will get a mocking tone for

Things better than x
Followed by a ridiculous amount of things which are better
Whilst the tweet couldn't have replies it could still have quoted RTs

They knew what they were doing and this wasn't a misunderstanding

Also fans (Utd) included are defensive by nature for their own. Fans may mock their own players but when other fans do it , the same fans will defend

And that's beside those who are saying this forum are hypocrites. Those defending aren't necessarily the ones who are quick to mock him as well. For example I think he should be sold but doesn't mean I think that tweet was acceptable
Thanks for clarifying that. I get why everyone rightly jumped all over this. I’m surprised in all my years in both countries I never noticed this phrase has the opposite meaning.

What media which hunt did Caroline Flack get? Every article I have read about her portrayed her as a victim. Even after she admitted that she attacked her boyfriend.
It's not really the forum to go too in depth about Caroline Flack. But she was badly hounded and mocked in the media and social media after her arrest and implosion of her career.

The sympathy came after she killed herself. People realised that she was a victim of the media and public baiting becuae despite being arrested the intense level of public shaming and mockery lead to her taking her own life, which is tragic.

Famous people have money etc. But they have the human emotions too and aren't immune to that.

Luke Chadwick talked of serious mental health problems and suicidal thoughts - so people should sometimes take a minute and think about how things can escalate quickly.