Nampalys Mendy

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Mendy​
Carrick Cleverley​
Kagawa​
Rooney van Persie​

I mean, isn't this the kind of system he'd be suited to?
Why do you say that?

I had a look and Monaco don't seem to play that formation

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
That's how Makélelé was used at Chelsea.
No it wasn't, Mourinho used a 4-5-1

----------- Drogba ---------
Robben -------------- J.Cole
---- Lampard -- Essien---
----------- Makelele -----

But what's the point anyway? He doesn't play in that formation now and has nearly 100 appearances for Monaco playing a different system.

You're suggesting he'll be suited to a system he's never played before, based solely on Makelele playing it a few times - definitely taking the comparison too stringently man.

But reading the thread I think you underrate Makelele a great deal, I'd take him in a heartbeat to play in our current team and think he would have no problems suiting our tactic. Without a doubt one of the best midfielders of that decade - and if Mendy can become half as good we'll have gotten an absolute bargain

Mainoldo

I'd rather play Jones there if we're going with that formation. Granted, he has looked a little ungainly there at times, but that's only when he bombs forward through the midfield. If we're going to put a spare defender in front of the back four it might as well be someone who's decent in the air and already a proven leader on the pitch.
He's short black (dark skin) and French so they call him the new Makelele, if he was 6 foot they would have probably called him the new Vieira. All I'm saying is we don't really know his style.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
But reading the thread I think you underrate Makelele a great deal, I'd take him in a heartbeat to play in our current team
I don't underrate him, I've clearly said he was quality at what he did.

It's just not the midfield type I'd like to see us sign to be honest, someone to marshall in front of the defence like that. We've never done that under Ferguson, and to be honest I'd find the idea of starting now a little underwhelming. Taken nothing away for Mendy, I'm sure he's a talented player, but going by these comparisons to Makélelé, I'd rather a more ball playing midfielder. Just my preference.

Dante

Average bang
He's short black (dark skin) and French so they call him the new Makelele, if he was 6 foot they would have probably called him the new Vieira. All I'm saying is we don't really know his style.
But I know about Jones' style and he'd work well there in Kid Cunto's formation, because of his height and drive, as I said. It's the one position that Fergie never seemed to play him.

Mainoldo

But I know about Jones' style and he'd work well there in Kid Cunto's formation, because of his height and drive, as I said. It's the one position that Fergie never seemed to play him.
He might be. We just don't play that way for it to be used.

Mainoldo

Nobody has any idea how we play at this point. And I was only responding to Kid Cunto's hypothetical formation.
And i was respond to the fact we don't you this kids style of play. I don't give a damn about the Phil Jones bit. I was only responding to be polite but hay ho.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Mendy has already been dubbed the new Claude Makélelé by the scout who picked him up at Monaco stating he was a “carbon copy”. Deployed as a defensive midfielder he has made 80 appearances for the club since making his debut in 2010 despite being only 20 years old. The youngster has also represented France at every youth level including the under 21 side. Mendy has a similar background to Manchester United’s Patrice Evra with both coming from a Senegalese family and playing for Monaco.

:lol::lol:

SOLD.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Ferguson has said in the past that be never saw a need for a player who's sole role was breaking up play which is essentially what Makalele did.

I think Moyes is similar, and I think we have players who are capable of playing that role in the one off matched where we need it.

Not that I've seen this guy play and know his style.
Which i find it a bit awkward to say considering that we did used the likes of Butt and P Neville in midfield
Who offered very little apart from that. Jones is hardly a Zidane in midfield

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
Another young French midfielder, Adrien Rabiot (17) from PSG, has apparently told a team-mate of his at Toulouse (where he was on loan this season) that MUFC have contacted his agent for a deal. Doubt PSG would let that happen though as he's pretty much the only homegrown Parisian player who might get a spot in the PSG squad of the future

Bestie07

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
Another young French midfielder, Adrien Rabiot (17) from PSG, has apparently told a team-mate of his at Toulouse (where he was on loan this season) that MUFC have contacted his agent for a deal. Doubt PSG would let that happen though as he's pretty much the only homegrown Parisian player who might get a spot in the PSG squad of the future

He's a good player. He partnered Mendy in a game I watched recently against an African team. The two work very well together.

JakeC

He's a good player. He partnered Mendy in a game I watched recently against an African team. The two work very well together, but if we were signing a youngster from PSG I'd prefer Kebano :drool:

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I don't underrate him, I've clearly said he was quality at what he did.

It's just not the midfield type I'd like to see us sign to be honest, someone to marshall in front of the defence like that. We've never done that under Ferguson, and to be honest I'd find the idea of starting now a little underwhelming. Taken nothing away for Mendy, I'm sure he's a talented player, but going by these comparisons to Makélelé, I'd rather a more ball playing midfielder. Just my preference.

Clearly not enough people here have watched Makalele, he was quality on the ball i.e. he was not found wanting in possession and it meant a constant supply to more creative minded team mates. In addition this, Fergie was not a master of midfield tactics in all fairness.. we rarely out-passed other top teams in Europe and relied on counter-attacking tactics, so I don't think following Fergie's supposed belief in never signing a defensive mid is the way to go.

If Moyes wants that sort of midfielder, so be it... would be nice to see 3 midfielders in the side, all of which are fit for purpose in their role and not being played out of position.

JakeC

Makalele didn't just sit in front of the back four. He played the same type of role as Xabi or Busquets.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
No he didn't. Defensively he did a great job in shielding the back four but that was about it as far as his game went. Xabi and Busquets are both better players, much better players

JakeC

I watched him three times this Summer in the Toulon Tournament and he stood out in all three games.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Makalele didn't just sit in front of the back four. He played the same type of role as Xabi or Busquets.

Xabi Alonso and Makalele were totally different players.

Drifter

American
Manchester United have been linked with signing Monaco's Nampalys Mendy, but he could be heading elsewhere.
Monaco midfielder Nampalys Mendy has been described as the 'next Makelele', and at the weekend reports linked with with signing for Manchester United on a free transfer.
Club nor player, or even agent, had commented on the rumours, until now.
Speaking in French newspaper L'Equipe, Mendy has stated United are likely to remain a dream, but just that.
He said: "This is the club of my dreams, it proves that I did good things, but I want to stay in France. I've already made ​​my choice."
Mendy is currently on holiday in Morocco, and intends to finalise his future upon his return.
L'Equipe claim that their own sources suggest that Mendy has agreed to sign for fellow Ligue One club, Nice, instead even signing a pre-contract agreement with them 'months ago.'
At 20, he does not intend to renew his deal at Monaco but denied it was down to the recent addition of Joao Moutinho, and intention to carry on spending, potentially blocking his development.
He said: "It is not because of the competition. That it does not scare me. Everywhere I go, there will be. And it is not the fault of Ranieri. If there was just him, I would have continued. It's just that many things I disliked in the renegotiation of my contract."
Mendy is a top prospect and would have been a clever addition on a free transfer, but if he did give his word to Nice then it would be unprofessional to go back on it.
United will no doubt however continue to monitor his development as it progresses in Ligue One next season.

So basically using Uniteds name to get a better contract.Move on.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Another example making things even clearer that Kev & Thiago are the priorities.

Free transfer is always a good deal, especially after Mendy's appearances in France u21 but it's up to Moyes to make some effort... in case of no effort at all, it shouldn't be a big drama.

Monaco will propably make him stay, anyway with a proper money injection on his account.

binary bot
That article seems to just be assuming we made him an offer

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
That article seems to just be assuming we made him an offer
Well there was a lot of talk about this back in June with the player even showing interest. Maybe we didn't show interest back. Seems crazy with how well he seems to be talked about, but hey ho, not always as basic as that.

Platato

Psst!
It's very simple. He used us despite being a free agent. What a cnut!