Nani | Contract & Transfer talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Who was the top onbe?
The top for me at the time was a young lad called iuri medeiros. Very talented player who as most players from our academy is technically gifted. Can be played out wide but some of his best performances for our B team was as a number 10 has a magical left foot and is very creative ...but he has his flaws he has had disciplinary problems and it doesn't seem he wants to be playing in the B team ( rightfully so he is too good in my opinion to be in out B team ) similarly too Joao Mario last year who also didn't want to play for the B team
Anymore ( because he was too good for it). I think just like Joao Mario iuri medeiros should Be loaned to a team in the Portuguese league it would do the world of good for him he has lots of potential and can be a great player still only 20 years of age ( if your interested type in iuri medeiros on YouTube there is a decent compilation of him there ) ...I won't go into detail with it no but we have a player in our B team in this year called Daniel Podence ( some may say arguably better then medeiros) who has been excellent he's a wide man who reminds me of Eden hazard will be interesting to see how he develops .

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Did Van Gaal actually say this or are you just making it up ?
Er.. he loaned him out?

EDIT: Why do you think LVG loaned him out? When we're so thin in the wide department? I get a case if it's Januzaj he's loaning to get some game time / experience / exposure, but Nani is Nani, at 28 he'll be either good enough or not good enough, it's that simple.

Call it rotation, keeping him fresh etc, but if LVG rated him it will be him that stays and Young / Valencia that goes out, but at the end of the day he's loaned out.

So what do you think that means?

Last edited:

RU Devil

Mate, i'd kind of disagree. Given the amount of games we were to play this season, not having Europe to contend with, LVG needed to cut the squad. I'd say gettting Nani back to Portugal to feel the love again was a better option that letting Valencia (RW and RFB positions back up) or Young (probably noone wanted him) go. I see more hope in Nani than Young or Valencia, as do many fans. I believe LVG wants him back next season but I hear your point.
In a way, it'd be a reverse Memphis Depay play. Some here wanted Depay signed, but since we didn't have enough games to make rotation work, we'd have to loan him out anyway. So we loan out Nani and hope he comes good again, especially since he's coming back from injury & inconsistency. He's obviously in the mood and if he can bring that confidence back with him, I'd be more than willing to take him on, especially since he still has more to offer than Valencia & Young. There's a reason he was more wanted for loan than those other 2.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
The top for me at the time was a young lad called iuri medeiros. Very talented player who as most players from our academy is technically gifted. Can be played out wide but some of his best performances for our B team was as a number 10 has a magical left foot and is very creative ...but he has his flaws he has had disciplinary problems and it doesn't seem he wants to be playing in the B team ( rightfully so he is too good in my opinion to be in out B team ) similarly too Joao Mario last year who also didn't want to play for the B team
Anymore ( because he was too good for it). I think just like Joao Mario iuri medeiros should Be loaned to a team in the Portuguese league it would do the world of good for him he has lots of potential and can be a great player still only 20 years of age ( if your interested type in iuri medeiros on YouTube there is a decent compilation of him there ) ...I won't go into detail with it no but we have a player in our B team in this year called Daniel Podence ( some may say arguably better then medeiros) who has been excellent he's a wide man who reminds me of Eden hazard will be interesting to see how he develops .
If it's a loan to buy deal, how much do you think a fair value for him? 15M? 20M? 10M?

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Mate, i'd kind of disagree. Given the amount of games we were to play this season, not having Europe to contend with, LVG needed to cut the squad. I'd say gettting Nani back to Portugal to feel the love again was a better option that letting Valencia (RW and RFB positions back up) or Young (probably noone wanted him) go. I see more hope in Nani than Young or Valencia, as do many fans. I believe LVG wants him back next season but I hear your point.
IMHO, LVG didn't rate any of them three : Young/Valencia/Nani

Let's face it, who would want to buy Young and Valencia , specially with the previous' high wage, and the later new contract, but at least they make an OK fullback backup (a position that we lack)

And considering we don't have many options down the left / right (Januzaj, ADM, Mata?) there will be plenty of games for Nani but LVG still loaned him out.

This only means one thing, he's gone.

And don't look at me, I didn't make that decision. The gaffer did.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Er.. he loaned him out?

EDIT: Why do you think LVG loaned him out? When we're so thin in the wide department? I get a case if it's Januzaj he's loaning to get some game time / experience / exposure, but Nani is Nani, at 28 he'll be either good enough or not good enough, it's that simple.

Call it rotation, keeping him fresh etc, but if LVG rated him it will be him that stays and Young / Valencia that goes out, but at the end of the day he's loaned out.

So what do you think that means?
So basically you're making it all up based on your interpretation of things.

Players get loaned out for a variety of reasons, sometimes to get rid of them - sometimes to develop them and sometimes to help them regain their form and confidence. It could be any of the three for Nani, and it would be foolish to blindly close the door on a return if he regains his form, which by all accounts looks like a possibility.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
If it's a loan to buy deal, how much do you think a fair value for him? 15M? 20M? 10M?
Forget about it in what concerns Sporting. We are under strict financial control because of the Financial Fair Play issue and finished a reestructuration. Not only we can´t afford more than a 5 million euros transfer fee, Nani's wage is up to 5 million euros per year (our wage cap is 1,2 million euros). If he isn´t going to stay at United i think you could get up to 15 million if you sell him to a club like Valência or Mónaco (who have managers who know him well and have the Jorge Mendes link).

Sky1981

Fending off the urge

Players get loaned out for a variety of reasons, sometimes to get rid of them - sometimes to develop them and sometimes to help them regain their form and confidence. It could be any of the three for Nani, and it would be foolish to blindly close the door on a return if he regains his form, which by all accounts looks like a possibility.
I don't hate the player, if he gets into a great form during his loan, off course we will have him back. There's nothing stoping us from doing so. As a supporter of United, off course I would want him to find his mojo back and help us on our campaign, but being realistic is another thing.

At this moment, IMO he's loaned out with the intention of being sold. It's very seldom a 28 years old players are loaned to get confidence / regain form, more than not they're surplus to requirement.

We only have Valencia / Young / Nani as pure winger (I don't count Mata/Januzaj/Adm), there will be so many games for Nani to play considering Young and Valencia are rubbish at being a winger these days, not to mention suspension, injury, fatique, etc.

PS: and I don't really understand why you get all riled up with my opinion, I don't claim to be an insider. Most of us here are posting opinions, interpretations, and views based on the even that happens. None of us really have the privy to know what's behind the screen.

Devil may care

In fairness how many 27 year olds have been loaned out by a top club only to return to the first team squad? Loans are usually for young players, when you loan a player of Nani's age out it's because you can't find a buyer and hope to put him in the shop window and get a decent price IMO.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
In fairness how many 27 year olds have been loaned out by a top club only to return to the first team squad? Loans are usually for young players, when you loan a player of Nani's age out it's because you can't find a buyer and hope to put him in the shop window and get a decent price IMO.
Not too many probably, but that's not to say we know what Van Gaal's logic is on the matter. Our club loaned out Anderson last year and brought him back and he is definitely no more useful than Nani. I also find this idea that we are sending a player on loan so that we can ultimately get a better price for them a bit myopic and probably more so fantasy reasoning by fans than actual logic by clubs.

Devil may care

Not too many probably, but that's not to say we know what Van Gaal's logic is on the matter. Our club loaned out Anderson last year and brought him back and he is definitely no more useful than Nani. I also find this idea that we are sending a player on loan so that we can ultimately get a better price for them a bit myopic and probably more so fantasy reasoning by fans than actual logic by clubs.
We brought Anderson back because Fiorentina didn't want him, there was a buy option of £5M and they chose not to activate it, we couldn't give Anderson away at this point.

I don't see anything unreasonable about a club sending a player who just signed a 5 year contract on loan to get some form to attract more interest so we can get a decent price for him, given how little he played over the last 18 months it makes good business sense. I actually like Nani and if LvG brings him back and feels he's reignited then great, kudos to a master plan, on form he offers more than Valencia or Young, but I just don't see it as likely.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
What if LVG was looking for the long term and loaned out Nani specifically because he knew that he wouldn't get enough gametime with United this year (due to no Europe etc) and wanted him to get some games before returning to our squad next year (when we are hopefully back in Europe)?

Same can easily apply to Hernandez. We don't have enough games this season to accommodate such a big squad, so loan out those that we want to keep around, but who aren't going to get enough games this season.

The likes of Young and Valencia were/are better for immediate use this year but may not be in LVGs long term plans, hence he isn't worried about not playing them.

We don't know what LVGs plan is, so @Sky1981 stop assuming that it must purely be because Nani is apparently so shite. If we didn't want him, why didn't we just sell him outright?

buckooo1978

What if LVG was looking for the long term and loaned out Nani specifically because he knew that he wouldn't get enough gametime with United this year (due to no Europe etc) and wanted him to get some games before returning to our squad next year (when we are hopefully back in Europe)?

Same can easily apply to Hernandez. We don't have enough games this season to accommodate such a big squad, so loan out those that we want to keep around, but who aren't going to get enough games this season.

The likes of Young and Valencia were/are better for immediate use this year but may not be in LVGs long term plans, hence he isn't worried about not playing them.

We don't know what LVGs plan is, so @Sky1981 stop assuming that it must purely be because Nani is apparently so shite. If we didn't want him, why didn't we just sell him outright?
Sell him last summer and get 5/6 million with his wages

A productive year and we can;

A) reintegrate a confident player
B) sell him for a decent fee

We have options

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Sell him last summer and get 5/6 million with his wages

A productive year and we can;

A) reintegrate a confident player
B) sell him for a decent fee

We have options
Honestly I think if LVG had no plans for Nani (or Hernandez) then he would have just shipped them out, regardless of cost. My belief for both of them is that they are in our long term plans and it was due to our lack of matches this season that we loaned them - similarly we loaned in Falcao, a player who should be very much "instant impact" to help propel us back into Europe. Whether we keep him or not, his job (not his alone of course) is to score the goals to get us back into Europe... not in 5 years, or a couple of years, but now. LVG (in my opinion) has tried to rebuild the squad with the intent of firing us straight back into the CL - next year we can bring back some of the other players like Nani and Hernandez and look forwards again.

Ibi Dreams

Madrid have an option to buy Hernandez, as we do for Falcao. I don't see him coming back even if they don't decide to buy him, he just won't get the games he wants.

Trizy

I'd say we'd have been lucky to get £7m for him at the start of the summer, should fetch up to £20m now with his form. Money towards Reus :drool:

Sky1981

Fending off the urge

Geez... Stop assuming that i assume nani is shite.

Not good enough and shite is two different thing.

And he is not good enough (at the present) in van gaal's eye that he decided to loan him. That's as close as fact. What vg has in future for him i dont know.

There are one universal rule for a loaned player : such player is not needed this year. Maybe next year, maybe never, but do you honestly think lvg rated him so much he decided to loan him?

And you've been guilty of makin assumption about young and valencia not rated by vg.

Ekeke

I'd say we'd have been lucky to get £7m for him at the start of the summer, should fetch up to £20m now with his form. Money towards Reus :drool:
After the world cup thats absolutely crazy. There were a handful of wingers who played better than him, thats it

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Geez... Stop assuming that i assume nani is shite.

Not good enough and shite is two different thing.

And he is not good enough (at the present) in van gaal's eye that he decided to loan him. That's as close as fact. What vg has in future for him i dont know.

There are one universal rule for a loaned player : such player is not needed this year. Maybe next year, maybe never, but do you honestly think lvg rated him so much he decided to loan him?

And you've been guilty of makin assumption about young and valencia not rated by vg.
I'm not assuming anything, I am saying that just because Nani was loaned whilst Young and Valencia stayed, doesn't necessarily mean LVG rates one over the others, or that Nani is "done" at United or "not good enough".

We have gone from competing on several fronts to being pretty much solely focused on the league. That is a big drop in games and requires a smaller squad. It is entirely feasible that players - good players - are therefore loaned for this season so as to ensure they get adequate gametime that when they are brought back into the team NEXT season they are performing at a good level.

It is also possible that LVG is giving Nani the shop-window treatment, but that has never really been out policy with selling players and frankly I don't see LVG as the type to make his mind up on a player like Nani without giving him a chance (same can be said for Fellaini). Look at how he used Robben in the World Cup - Nani can easily be that player for us and is perhaps the best suited for that role in our squad.

Brightonian

Happy that he's doing well, though not at all surprised. He's always been a stunningly gifted but incredibly mentally fragile player. At his best he's up there with United's great wingers, but he was only really at his best for two out of his eight years with us.

No point thinking about bringing him back. He's gone home, back to a team where he's a guaranteed starter, and that boost in confidence and wellbeing has him playing well again. Bring him back into the PL spotlight and the United pressure-cooker, and give him one game in three because of the intense competition for attacking places, and he'll slip right back into mentally-shattered, good-for-nothing mode. Best for all parties to just sell him for a decent fee in the summer.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
I think he will come back next season and do well.

The team (players and style of play) is much more suited to him now and would love to see him on one side and di Maria on the other.

No11

Supports
Aberdeen
I think he will come back next season and do well.

The team (players and style of play) is much more suited to him now and would love to see him on one side and di Maria on the other.
Can't see this happening at all.
Player with great ability who ultimately failed to deliver on too many occasions, for whatever reason.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I think bringing any of Nani, Cleverley or Hernandez back into the squad would be a backwards step. There's a lot to be said for the value of injecting new blood into the squad rather than bringing back former players carrying some baggage amongst the fans.

Nani may indeed be better than some of the wingers we might sign to replace him but at least they won't be burdened by the level of frustration and disappointment many fans feel towards Nani. Ultimately he failed to fulfill his potential here (and will likely never fully reach the level his talent suggested he might) whereas a new signing at least has the chance to do that.

Personally, I hope we sell all three and follow it up by jettisoning some of the likes of Anderson, Young and Valencia too.

Ole'sbodyguard

Glad to see he is doing well and that we will get more money for him next summer.

I don't see the point of bringing him back unless we cannot buy better and going off our transfer business last summer I seriously doubt that will happen. We have seen enough of Nani to have a very good idea of what he has to offer.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
If he's in scintillating form and voted the best player in the league, he needs to be brought back in Jan.

JUPITER

If he's in scintillating form and voted the best player in the league, he needs to be brought back in Jan.
That's bold, Raoul.

Do you think it's possible? My initial reaction is no - he's gone home. But LvG isn't a predictable coach and is difficult to 2nd guess.

I do think Nani would excel under Van Gaal's direction.

Cina

I highly doubt it's possible anyway seeing as the loan was a part of the Rojo deal.

Tell you what though, we could sure use a winger in great form. Pity the fecker just hasn't done it for us in recent years.

Skills

Snitch
I always thought this loan deal was just another way of funnelling some more money/compensation for Rojo to Sporting with all the 3rd party crap going on, where it seemed like Sporting would only get a small fraction of the transfer fee.

If that is true, I doubt we'd be allowed to just call him back halfway through the season.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal

tombombadil

Happy to see that Nani is doing well in Portugal.

I would've thought the major reason for Nani being loaned out was simply because he had no place in the team and wasn't going to get enough matches. LVG had already decided on a 3-5-2 at the time, so no room for wingers (Nani couldn't be a wing back and he wasn't a good enough striker to displace our other options) and we're only playing once a week this season most of the time. It makes sense to loan him out to get games.

Now that we've switched to different formations that can better accommodate a player like Nani, if Nani continues to do well, we might just see the prodigal son return permanently next season. Else he'll probably be sold to Sporting or something like that.

Firstouch20

He was always too good for the Portugese League. I was pretty surprised that another big team didn't snap him up. Would have loved to have seen him play for a team like Dortmund or A.Madrid.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I think bringing any of Nani, Cleverley or Hernandez back into the squad would be a backwards step. There's a lot to be said for the value of injecting new blood into the squad rather than bringing back former players carrying some baggage amongst the fans.

Nani may indeed be better than some of the wingers we might sign to replace him but at least they won't be burdened by the level of frustration and disappointment many fans feel towards Nani. Ultimately he failed to fulfill his potential here (and will likely never fully reach the level his talent suggested he might) whereas a new signing at least has the chance to do that.

Personally, I hope we sell all three and follow it up by jettisoning some of the likes of Anderson, Young and Valencia too.
feck the fans.

If he can benefit the team, he should be brought on, regardless of what the fans think.

jem

I know it's unlikely to happen, but I'd love to see Nani back, fulfilling the role Di Maria has played the last 3 matches (allowed ADM to play where he was tearing it up when he first arrived.) I know he's frustrating, but when healthy and confident (two major stumbling blocks to be fair,) he's very productive, providing great crosses, trickery and a fantastic shot with both feet. It's sad to think what could have been with this guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.