Nani | Contract & Transfer talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoneyMay

An assist, a goal, and a good performance against Schalke. His first performance of the season (Swansea) was refreshing and something that he's carried over to Sporting Lisbon.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
He had his chances in the last years and in the first weeks under Van Gaal too

If we can get 15-20m for him then sell him and buy Reus/Draxler/Turan/Depay
Yep, I'd sooner take the risk on new blood than take the risk on Nani maintaining his current good form once he returns to United. It's far too easy to imagine his confidence and form ebbing away again...

Kag

I can't understand why people would still want to sell Nani no matter what. It's like some sort of warped stance of principle, but actually void of any logic. If the guy is performing like a world beater come the end of the season and offers something the squad doesn't have then we'd be mad not to take advantage of that - and it costs us nothing.

Nani might like the change of environment, or Van Gaal might want younger wide men, but if not, and returning suits all parties then brilliant.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
I for one will be happy for Nani to come back.

I think it makes sense for the likes of him and Hernandez to go out on loan this season - when we have a distinct lack of games, and then come back next year when (hopefully) we are back in Europe and contribute.

Plus, ADM/Nani/Januzaj isnt a bad set of wingers to have. We would be very well set up for a 4-3-3 with Rooney and Hernandez as the primary options up front (and one of RVP and Falcao I imagine, but I doubt we will keep both next season personally) and some combination of Blind/Herrera/Fellaini/Mata/Carrick in midfield. Looks a good squad.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I can't understand why people would still want to sell Nani no matter what. It's like some sort of warped stance of principle, but actually void of any logic. If the guy is performing like a world beater come the end of the season and offers something the squad doesn't have then we'd be mad not to take advantage of that - and it costs us nothing.

Nani might like the change of environment, or Van Gaal might want younger wide men, but if not, and returning suits all parties then brilliant.
Performing like a world beater for a much smaller team than Manchester United. Regardless of how good his form in there's no guarantee he'll be able to bring it back to the club where he ultimately failed after several years of us hoping he'd fulfill his massive potential.

If Nani was a prospective new signing we'd have plenty of doubts over him too, it isn't purely bias based on our previous history with him.

Beyond that though, there is a fair chance that returning here may have a negative impact on his confidence as our fans simply don't have faith in him. If he has a few bad games (as every player inevitably does) the crowd will have very little patience and will turn on him again quite quickly. That's hardly the ideal environment for him to perform in.

As I say, there are a lot of logical reasons to prefer a new signing over Nani that have nothing to do with bias.

Trizy

Last time I posted I said the ship has sailed but every time this thread is bumped he's doing great, it would be hard to refuse unless we get in someone of better quality, which a Nani on form is only second best to very few in Europe. Still if we have half a chance to sign Reus I'd sell Nani to fund it.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
I would take him back. He has been here for 7 years so he has that United as well as winning mentality. Good enough for a back up winger and a decent lad to boot.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Good on the lad, hope he gets a move back to the big leagues, hopefully not the EPL... Like to see him in La Liga maybe, dunno who he could go to there though

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Victim of van Gaal's 352 vision at start of the season, which turned out to be fail. He would easily be starter for us in this kind of form(I doubt that he would reach it by playing for United though).

waza7111

Nani has been poor for about three seasons so it's better to sell him if possible. There was a good chance he would always do well at Sporting given that it's his boyhood club and he's playing in his home country. His loss of form could be down to homesicknes.

He's clearly very happy to play for Sporting. When asked recently if he was thinking of returning to Manchester United, he replied "To be honest, I am not thinking about it. It has not crossed my mind. "I am happy that I am around people who like me, feel the warmth of those who believe in me and in my abilities."

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Nani has been poor for about three seasons so it's better to sell him if possible. There was a good chance he would always do well at Sporting given that it's his boyhood club and he's playing in his home country. His loss of form could be down to homesicknes.

He's clearly very happy to play for Sporting. When asked recently if he was thinking of returning to Manchester United, he replied "To be honest, I am not thinking about it. It has not crossed my mind. "I am happy that I am around people who like me, feel the warmth of those who believe in me and in my abilities."
Says it all for me

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
As much as some of us may want him back, does anyone think he can play himself back into LVG's plans?

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
If he continues this form throughout the season for Sporting, then surely he's earned a place back in our squad next season. But if he isn't happy at United, which seems to be the case from some reports, then he probably won't come back regardless of how well he's playing, which for me would be a shame.

MoneyMay

There was a recent interview on Football Focus where he was more precise and stated that he would remain with us if we wanted him:
The last two seasons at Manchester United with so many injuries, I was very upset, missing my family and friends, I wanted something new. Before David Moyes I was very happy at Manchester United, that was my club. But of course it is very difficult when a player like me is treated a certain way. If I come back to the club and they receive me well, if that they want me to be part of the team I will be very happy, if not we will find a solution.
He's done very well at Sporting - even in the Champions League - so it's not just a case of playing well in a "lower" league. It's too early to call given that he needs to produce similar performances in the second half of the season, but if he remains in this form for most of the season, then I can see him staying at the club. It's a win-win situation for us, but more importantly it's great to see Nani enjoy himself.

JohnnyLaw

Victim of van Gaal's 352 vision at start of the season, which turned out to be fail. He would easily be starter for us in this kind of form(I doubt that he would reach it by playing for United though).
Sure but he really didn't do himself any favours in pre-season. Besides being poor he just didn't look too arsed IMO.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
First time i agree with this guy. He has been sensational and it will be a big headache to find a suitable replacement for him next year (yeah i'm always like this, can't enjoy it fully without thinking about the future).
About the game, it was not only the goal and the assist, it's the fact that he always takes responsability to lead us, keeps the ball to create and get pressure off our struggling defence and gives support and advice to the younger players. It's a pleasure to watch him live at the stadium again. It's the kind of player that draws people to the stands. Made a complete mockery of the german team. He always attracts two or three players to mark him, enabling his teammates to attack the space (boss trademark) and having plenty of routes of free movement. I love him :D

Tibs

Bring him back tomorrow

Nanners on the right, Rooney central, AdM on the left.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Oh and he has been a big game player. Good performances against Benfica, Porto, Chelsea (specially in the second half), away and at home with Schalke. And that's what we expect from a player like him.

Shimo

Getting back a right winger that can score goals and can cross the ball and more importantly put in early crosses - why would we want to even contemplate that? Madness.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
He has been playing on the left mostly but he has freedom to roam all over the pitch

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
From what I have saw, he's been better in the champions league than he was in portuguese league(or at least equal), and considering he was playing against Chelsea and Schalke two times in CL I wouldn't worry about him doing it only at lower level. I was fearing he lost some of his explossivness and agility permanently so it's good to see that I was wrong.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
A couple of translated reactions from our board:

"Thank you Nani. There are no words"; "Pure class"; "Nani, Monster. What a player"; "It's certain that he won't stay but he has a place in a big european team"; "Nani crushing the opponent tactically and technically. His passing absolutely accurate"; "Van Gaal buy Ronaldo and let us keep Nani" :lol:

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
From what I have saw, he's been better in the champions league than he was in portuguese league(or at least equal), and considering he was playing against Chelsea and Schalke two times in CL I wouldn't worry about him doing it only at lower level. I thought he lost some of his explossivness and agility so it's good to see that I was wrong.
He has been decisive on both counts. Of course it's more motivating to play in the biggest competitions and at the Champions League he is always up for it. Still i'd rank his best performance our away win at Porto for the cup (he deserves that recognition specially if you look at the quality of the Porto team, they have already qualified in the champions league and gave a right beating to Bilbao away tonight)

Sam

Glad to hear he's doing well. But as much as I wanted him to succeed at United, I think that ship has sailed.

I wonder if there is any chance he could stay at Sporting?

JP77

As much as some of us may want him back, does anyone think he can play himself back into LVG's plans?
Hopefully not because he's the same old inconsistent Nani. Seen it all before where he has a few good games and people start going back to thinking he's actually the solution for our team, he's not. Hopefully continues to impress so we get a half decent fee for him.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I wonder if there is any chance he could stay at Sporting?
No. Unless you wanna play full wages again. We can't afford fee or wages. With his form, he deserves another chance in a big european club.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Oh and he has been a big game player. Good performances against Benfica, Porto, Chelsea (specially in the second half), away and at home with Schalke. And that's what we expect from a player like him.
Yup. He was always a big game player at his best here.

Sam

No. Unless you wanna play full wages again. We can't afford fee or wages. With his form, he deserves another chance in a big european club.
Ah thats a shame. I doubt his fee will be that much, mind. We rarely get good prices when we sell players. Whats your wage structure like? Highest paid player? etc etc

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Ah thats a shame. I doubt his fee will be that much, mind. We rarely get good prices when we sell players. Whats your wage structure like? Highest paid player? etc etc
Our wage cap is 1.2 million euros per year (that's what our captain and portuguese international gk Rui Patrício earns). Cmon Woody got 3 million euros for Bebé who can't get a game for Benfica, he should get a decent deal for the league's arguably best player along with Brahimi.

Sylar

Glad hes doing well. Its the consistency of games that is doing wonders for him more than anything. The whole start/stop appearances for United in the last two seasons did him no good.

Status
Not open for further replies.