Nani | Contract & Transfer talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

caid

Olic's goal is still infuriating to watch today.
Yeah that was the point i ran out of patience with carrick tbh.
My opinion of him improved since but i remember saying we should sell him after that match (imagine how shit our midfield would have been in recent years without him - i'd be a rubbish manager lol).

sajeev

this was the match which turned me against carrick. he was quite poor, and was that way from the 09-10 season to the 11-12 (not great but good performances with the shows of cowardice once in a while)

edit: i didn't see the post above when i wrote this.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It's funny watching that Olic goal thinking "DDG would have saved that no problem". Shows how high I think most of us regard him these days.

Haddock

Olic's goal is still infuriating to watch today.
I agree, I remember thinking , hold on.. is that not a foul but it happened so fast and there was barely any celebration. No shame in going out to a goal like Robben's though. Hopefully Van Gaal can reverse the result next year if we play them.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
:lol::lol:

How's he getting on anyway?

I'd still like him back for next season.
He's been our best player basically. Very good in the Champions League and excellent in the portuguese cup in our away win at Porto. He's not only producing with goals and assists, he's our biggest attacking threat and has a very positive effect on the team. He takes alot of pressure off his teammates and opens up space because he is always closely marked with 2 even 3 players sometimes. What i like in Nani is that he isn't affraid to take the ball and take on opponents. He's always trying to create something. Of course in his position sometimes his decision making is poor but the positives from his actions clearly outweigh that. Will be sad when he leaves.

Nani is one of my favourite players in Sporting history because he genuinely likes the club. He helped us win silverware, "gave" us one of the biggest transfers ever with 25 millions, came back to help us in the Champions League (lowered his wage for that and rejected offers from Spain and Italy according to multiple reports) and will hopefully help us achieve Champions League qualification again and win the Portuguese Cup. Have alot of respect and admiration for him.

paulscholes18

Yeah that was the point i ran out of patience with carrick tbh.
My opinion of him improved since but i remember saying we should sell him after that match (imagine how shit our midfield would have been in recent years without him - i'd be a rubbish manager lol).
Don't think Carrick played again for the rest of the season. I would have sold him as well, that was a massive error

justboy68

Epic failure :lol:

That would be a former United player of the year, top 20 all time PL Assists, Champions League and multiple time Premier league winner for £17 million pounds epic failure.

Maybe not the roaring success we hoped he'd go onto be but my god...

caid

Don't think Carrick played again for the rest of the season. I would have sold him as well, that was a massive error
He was a bit crap in the first leg too wasn't he?
He's improved since anyway imo. Its still not a strength but its not the crippling weakness it once was.
Still needs a fellaini next to him really.

He's been our best player basically. Very good in the Champions League and excellent in the portuguese cup in our away win at Porto. He's not only producing with goals and assists, he's our biggest attacking threat and has a very positive effect on the team. He takes alot of pressure off his teammates and opens up space because he is always closely marked with 2 even 3 players sometimes. What i like in Nani is that he isn't affraid to take the ball and take on opponents. He's always trying to create something. Of course in his position sometimes his decision making is poor but the positives from his actions clearly outweigh that. Will be sad when he leaves.

Nani is one of my favourite players in Sporting history because he genuinely likes the club. He helped us win silverware, "gave" us one of the biggest transfers ever with 25 millions, came back to help us in the Champions League (lowered his wage for that and rejected offers from Spain and Italy according to multiple reports) and will hopefully help us achieve Champions League qualification again and win the Portuguese Cup. Have alot of respect and admiration for him.
I always liked this about him too and felt he got more flack than he deserved from united supporters for it.
Even in a bad game he'd create a couple of great chances because he'd keep trying to create something. Players like nani ill forgive for losing the ball because you need players to take risks and try and force the issue sometimes.

Anyway,
He probably wont be back but ill always remember him fondly. The bayern game above is one of a few really good memories he had a pretty huge contribution to. I know we lost but its almost feels better to lose a game like that or the real madrid original ronaldo game than not to have gotten to taken part or experience seeing a game like that.

Scored a penalty in the champions league final too didn't he?
Yeah ...
Nani was great for us.

Last edited:

Nobby style

Tooting Colombia to Tooting Bec and back again
He was an epic failure here.....he played well for 6 months a few years ago....It's nuts to think that fans are crying that we loaned him out...Sure even Bebe looked world class last season when loaned out and fans on here were saying that he will come back and go straight into our first team...Nani simply is not cut out to consistently do the business at a club the size of Utd.....A move to a club like Lazio or Valencia would be good for him
Dare you stoke the wrath of the Nanbois, ha ha . . . but seriously, the guy is obviously past it and I´m glad he´s gone, but he played some great football for United and it should be recognized

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins

Sounds promising.

I like Nani, really hope van Gaal has plans for him next season.

He was complimenting Gomez from our academy on Instagram recently, hopefully it means he's returning.

Laphroaig

Nani has revealed Manchester United want him to stay at Old Trafford despite spending the season on loan at Sporting Lisbon.

The 28-year-old moved to Portugal as part of the deal that saw Marcos Rojo join United in the summer.

But the winger, who has a deal until 2018, insists he has been assured his long-term future is in England.

Nani said: "The club know my value and I know they want me to stay.

"It was me who made the choice to leave the club and it was a good decision by me because I knew if I stayed one more season at Old Trafford, it would be very hard for me.

"I just need someone to believe in me, trust me and my qualities, and give me an opportunity to show them on the pitch.

"It's an experience I wanted a lot and needed as well because the last two seasons at Manchester United I had so many injuries and I was very upset with a lot of things that happened to me.

"I was missing my family and friends and I wanted something new. The only opportunity I had to be happy, and Manchester United to be happy as well, was this one."

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/nani-man-utd-want-stay-8513227

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I wonder what role we'd intended for him if he stayed though? I couldn't see him being a nailed on starter and I'm not sure being in and out of the team helps him at all.

I think Nani was right, it would have been a mistake for him to stay here another season.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
I just need someone to believe in me, trust me and my qualities, and give me an opportunity to show them on the pitch.
Perfect encapsulation of Nani as a player, and his public persona in general. Although every player craves that to some degree, a lot of them don't need the extra personal touch and can brush criticism off. He really is someone who plays at his best when the management, team-mates and maybe even the supporters consistently put their trust in him. Which didn't pan out at times these past couple of years, some of it through his own lack of performance to be fair.

Part of me thinks it'd be best for all parties concerned if he moves on because we can't always guarantee him that, though thick and thin and he might rub Van Gaal the wrong way with his individualistic traits. But then, he's almost exactly the kind of fast, explosive, tricky player we need, provided we give him the leeway to fully express himself and not throttle that virtuoso nature.

Revan

Assumptionman
this was the match which turned me against carrick. he was quite poor, and was that way from the 09-10 season to the 11-12 (not great but good performances with the shows of cowardice once in a while)

edit: i didn't see the post above when i wrote this.
He was excellent on the second half of 2010-2011 season. And then very good on 11-12.

He was quite poor on 2009-2010 though.

Skills

Snitch
I wonder what role we'd intended for him if he stayed though? I couldn't see him being a nailed on starter and I'm not sure being in and out of the team helps him at all.

I think Nani was right, it would have been a mistake for him to stay here another season.
Well he's more suited for the CF role than Di Maria. He's actually a very good finisher. Still not ideal though.

VanGaalEra

That Bayern game still hurts really bad.

I remember being so pissed off, like it was unhealthy to have been so mad. Ribery didn't know where to go with Rafael marking him.

I remember Van Bommel committing foul after foul in that game and being allowed to get away with it. Kind of like Gattuso in 07.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Well he's more suited for the CF role than Di Maria. He's actually a very good finisher. Still not ideal though.
We tried him in that position 3-5-2 in pre season and he looked awful, that was the final nail for him unfortunately.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Really hope we give him a fair shot when he comes back. I haven't seen him really apart from the videos of his goals at Sporting, but if he is at that level that he was at before his injury woes began, then we could be getting a top class winger in. Everyone keeps saying how we need someone with pace, skill and ability to create and score goals, but he is exactly that. There aren't that many wingers out there that have his skill set, 2 footed, a great dribbler, fast, strong, creative, can score from anywhere and is a good finisher. His problem has of course been consistency, but it's also true that he hasn't had a proper run in the team the past 2 years since his top class form between 2010-2012 because of his injury problems. The second he got that at Sporting, he started performing brilliantly again apparently. It's why I always always had hope he'd come good again, just needed him to get a run of games going.

pascell

I'm sorry but the same things are said every season, 'give him another shot he'll come good' or 'I hope he finds the form of 10-12'. I think it's time we cashed in on him, he's had enough chances to prove himself and hasn't, we're talking between 3 and 5 years ago when we saw that form off him.

The guy left us because he wasn't in the right frame of mind due to injuries, what would he do if come October or November when he can't move he starts picking up injuries? We need players who are committed to the cause and I don't think he's up for it. A move would suit both parties.

Laphroaig

I'm sorry but the same things are said every season, 'give him another shot he'll come good' or 'I hope he finds the form of 10-12'. I think it's time we cashed in on him, he's had enough chances to prove himself and hasn't, we're talking between 3 and 5 years ago when we saw that form off him.
That's a bit disingenuous, isn't it? Another way to put it: he had two poor seasons after turning good, and then he went on loan and impressed massively. Basically your first sentence only really applies after his disappointing 12/13 season.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
That's a bit disingenuous, isn't it? Another way to put it: he had two poor seasons after turning good, and then he went on loan and impressed massively. Basically your first sentence only really applies after his disappointing 12/13 season.
Aye, it's not as if it's Anderson we're talking about in this case. Nani has actually had successful periods of form and good seasons while with us, and was once a very key player within the team.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
We tried him in that position 3-5-2 in pre season and he looked awful, that was the final nail for him unfortunately.
Aye, I thought I remembered us using him in that role alright. I certainly remember him having a poor pre-season generally, looked like a player who would be happy to have a fresh start somewhere new.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
The boat sailed a long time ago with Nani. I doubt he'll ever play for us again and he certainly won't reach the levels we once hoped for.

I think a lot of people are forgetting exactly what he was like here. He had that one period where things went well for him, but other than that he was infuriating. Bebe looked great last season in Portugal, so any form Nani displays there should be kept in context. His level is somewhere in between us and Sporting.

Charlie Foley

He was excellent on the second half of 2010-2011 season. And then very good on 11-12.

He was quite poor on 2009-2010 though.
Second half of 2009-10 he was excellent, that was the season of the 3-2 against Bayern.

Also, he was better in the first half of 2010-11 than the second, he lost his place in the team to Valencia (maybe unfairly, though Tony was brilliant then.) Was a star for us early on though. I think he got moved to the left wing when Valencia came back from his leg break (?) and his form dipped

justboy68

The boat sailed a long time ago with Nani. I doubt he'll ever play for us again and he certainly won't reach the levels we once hoped for.

I think a lot of people are forgetting exactly what he was like here. He had that one period where things went well for him, but other than that he was infuriating. Bebe looked great last season in Portugal, so any form Nani displays there should be kept in context. His level is somewhere in between us and Sporting.
He has impressed in the Champions League as well, 4 goals and 2 assists in 5 games. He's a very good player without a doubt but a fresh start was good for him and frankly he shouldn't come back. The moment he tries something adventurous or misplaces a pass the fans will be on his back again, I think it's best for all parties if he just moves on.

Bwuk

Still don't understand why we loaned him out and kept Young and Valencia around.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
Still don't understand why we loaned him out and kept Young and Valencia around.
They can play as wingbacks and Nani can't. Nani would have had to either play up front or just behind the two forwards, neither position would really suit him tbh and we have better for both. He probably would have been in the same boat as Januzaj if he had have stayed.

Devil may care

So Nani thinks he's coming back, that's interesting. I am certainly not against it, there are so few decent options out there for speedy wide players with actual goal threat.

ricky-romeo

next summer van gaal must get a top class CB and CM and stop playing this 3-5-2 thing. if he still doesn't then something must be wrong with him.

nani should be back for us by then.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Nani being loaned out was a good thing IMO, as he said, he needed the change to get his confidence back, he was kind of homesick and he needed to go somewhere where everyone believed in him. He said he had the option to stay or go out on loan like everyone who wasn't seen as a starter, and he decided to go on loan.

YzWayne

If Nani chose to go on loan with Sporting just to have more match time and prove his doubters wrong, that was a very good move as so far he has excelled at Sporting and LVG should really consider him after his loan finishes.

He was good for us until we lost faith in him. Not playing him in big games when we needed more defensive solidity seemed to really knock his confidence. Thats his own problem, but i still think theres a good player in there and hes showing it at Sporting.

Jaytay

That ship may not of sailed, whether Nani returns or we sign Falcao will depend on if Van Gaal gets in the top 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.