Nani | Contract & Transfer talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Well we bought a very exciting winger for £22m already so I don't get the comparisons to Mata. Nani is on a stupid high contract which means we will get a low fee if we offload him to a club not as rich as us, that's how it works.
I am not going round in circles with you.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Well we bought a very exciting winger for £22m already so I don't get the comparisons to Mata. Nani is on a stupid high contract which means we will get a low fee if we offload him to a club not as rich as us, that's how it works.
Because the exciting winger plays on the left. Mata is playing on the right, which is where Nani is at his very best. Not hard to grasp.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
He can't have any complaints about being sold and it isn't like he's much of a loss for us.

Fee is low but that's really a consequence of the stupid contract we gave him. The fact that he a) isn't attracting a bigger team and b) isn't going for a bigger fee are both down to the crap value he'd represent rather than his actual ability.

You can't hand a player like Nani the stupid wages we did and then be surprised when it's difficult to get rid of him almost straight away afterwards.

finneh

There are clubs out there that could comfortably afford his wages and a fee on top, and he's a big enough star to be wanted by those clubs. Selling him for £3.5m is scandalous.
Unfortunately only maybe 15 clubs on the planet can afford to pay a player over £100k a week in wages in addition to a £10-15m transfer fee. A few of these are in Russia where he has refused to go before and a few are our rivals.

That leaves maybe 3 clubs in Germany, 3 clubs in Spain and PSG.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Come on, Mate, that's not an argument. Being the "18th highest assisting player in the leagues history" means zilch. How many of those has he got in the last 4 years?
Well not a great deal, for a year he was managed by Moyes, for two years he had to sit on the bench while Valencia stunk the place out and last year he was off on loan.

The biggest mistake we made with Nani was chucking him to the sidelines as soon as Valencia was fit, a player who has never delivered what Nani has done, even when Nani was forced to play on his wrong side to accommodate him.

He made the right wing his own, got injured, and wasnt even given the chance to play his way back in.

Robbie Boy

Low fee due to his contract, obviously. No loss whatsoever. A peak Nani was a damn fine player but that peak is well and truly done. I'm happy he spent last season at his boyhood club and actually won something rather than being completely ostracised by LvG. When a player isn't up to it anymore then so be it. Look at Chelsea with Torres; again a fine player at his peak but he had lost that brilliance he once had. Lyon have also just released Gourcuff for similar reasons. Talent isn't always everything.

Fwiw, I have always felt Nani was ridiculously overrated by some on here, especially when it became abundantly clear that his form had deserted him. It's a debate I have never, nor will I ever be arsed engaging with. It's my opinion though.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Time to move on I suppose. Thanks for all the amazing netbusing goals, somersault celebrations, the outrageous goal against Arsenal, taking the piss out of Spurs/Gomes, the Seal Dribble, the 2 goals against LvG's Bayern, the ridiculous 2nd and 3rd goals in the Community Shield etc etc.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Unfortunately only maybe 15 clubs on the planet can afford to pay a player over £100k a week in wages in addition to a £10-15m transfer fee. A few of these are in Russia where he has refused to go before and a few are our rivals.

That leaves maybe 3 clubs in Germany, 3 clubs in Spain and PSG.
Rubbish. There is both money and desire to bring in big names in UAE, China and the US, for example.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Surprised Inter, Juventus, or Roma didn't bite. They could've eaten the wages and he could've contributed significantly to each of them.

Robbie Boy

Rubbish. There is both money and desire to bring in big names in UAE, China and the US, for example.
Well I assume he wasn't including those kind of clubs. But yeah, there is ridiculous money over there. Paulinho and Robinho have just joined Guangzhou and wasn't Dario Conca the third highest paid player in the world over there!

sajeev

i will be surprised if he can make half the impact that Nani had

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Shame. But this should also be a reminder to ppl who claim "it's not my money, offer player X 200 k or whatever it takes to get him". Unless it's a truly world class player in his peak or before his peak, we should be a bit more careful with our wage offers. In the end if you take just Nani or Shaw separately I guess most fans couldn't care less if they earn 20 - 30 k more per week, lucky ppl, but fine.
However the consequences related to that are why ppl care about wages: offer one player high wages and you have to do the same for the next player. Then in a couple of years when they negotiate again you have to go even higher. In the end they earn so much so that you won't get a buyer - at least not with a decent fee - because of the high wages if you want to get rid.

Mata is another example, he was only going to join us anyway once he decided to stay in England and he was on around 70 k at Chelsea, so offer him 100 k! But no, he is on 130/140 k here.

But I think once the transition is over, we are settled and back at the top and Woody has had a bit more time in his current role we'll be able to deal better with these things.

Kaos

£3.5million is a joke, even if this was 2004.

I'm surprised no one's taken a gamble at £10million. He's not injury prone, not yet old and on form can be a devastating winger.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Surprised that nobody went for him at that price. Shame the way it ended up with him, was world class those 2 years. Never kicked on.

djembatheking

Surprised that nobody went for him at that price. Shame the way it ended up with him, was world class those 2 years. Never kicked on.
I`m not surprised at all , in fact I`m more surprised we got something for him , he`s shite and if he was any good there would have been far more interest in him . Just glad he has gone , would rather his wages freed up for someone else .

ghagua

I know Nani has had his issues, but after watching the right side of our attack suffering from paralysis all of last season, i thought he would at least be given another chance.

finneh

If he doesn't want to go to Russia for a payday, he's not going to want to essentially retire in UAE/China/US. I imagine he's looking for Europa League Football at the very least.

In terms of clubs that can comfortably afford €150k per week you are looking at Real Madrid, Juventus, Barcelona, United, City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Bayern, Dortmund & Wolfsburg. In terms of pushing their resources to the max for a marquee signing at a push also the likes of Napoli, Spurs, Atletico & the Milan clubs.

None of the first category will take a chance on him and he hasn't been in the form to be a marquee signing for the latter clubs.

This isn't anything against Nani, I think he's a good player who'd contribute if he stayed. However we'd have the same problem with Rooney, Fellaini, Young etc: the only clubs that could afford their wages and a decent transfer fee on top already have better players in their positions.

Amethyst

It's banter lads, inn't?
I know Nani has had his issues, but after watching the right side of our attack suffering from paralysis all of last season, i thought he would at least be given another chance.
Nah. Young and Mata's form, Di Maria's price tag and Januzaj's potential have put paid to that.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Nah. Young and Mata's form, Di Maria's price tag and Januzaj's potential have put paid to that.
Plus even if we did have concerns over that area we'd probably still prefer to bring someone new in rather than go back to Nani.

Once he left on loan his fate was pretty much sealed. His good form in Portugal was probably irrelevant.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Wow had no idea the fee was so low, United always seem to struggle to get decent fees when selling players they don't want.

Amethyst

It's banter lads, inn't?
Plus even if we did have concerns over that area we'd probably still prefer to bring someone new in rather than go back to Nani.

Once he left on loan his fate was pretty much sealed. His good form in Portugal was probably irrelevant.
Yep, it was basically as though we couldn't find a permanent transfer for him so we'll delay it for a year with a loan. I don't think anyone here expected Cleverley, Hernandez or Nani to play another game for us again after they were loaned.

justboy68

How is it even possible to get such a paltry fee?!? :lol::lol:

It genuinely boggles my mind. We must be the absolute worst sports team in the universe for selling players. We might as well just keep him, he's good enough anyway.

Last edited:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Still better than all our wing options bar Depay and ADM (arguable).
If you don't count Mata then this is true.

However, Young is coming off a season where he was one of our best outfield players and Valencia is playing as a right back, so it's not like Nani would have leaped ahead of them in the pecking order either.

Ekeke

If you don't count Mata then this is true.

However, Young is coming off a season where he was one of our best outfield players and Valencia is playing as a right back, so it's not like Nani would have leaped ahead of them in the pecking order either.
Clearly better than Mata on the wing

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
The thing is I doubt many of Inter or Ac Milan's players or even Juventus' even earn half of what Nani earns here, Nani is on around 100 k £ whereas their players on average are on 50/60 k €. So even if Nani is prepared to take a pay cut he is hardly going to agree half of what he is earning now. So to come close to his current wages over a period of 3-4 years is only affordable for those clubs if the fee is almost non existent.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
How is it even possible to get such a paltry fee?!? :lol::lol:

It genuinely boggles my mind. We must be the absolute worst sports team in the universe for selling players. We might as well just keep him, he's good enough anyway.
Guess what? It really doesn't matter that much what the fee is does it? Not going to affect our transfer budget. Gets his wages of our books. No points or trophies are given for selling prices. Plus where are the clubs willing to pay more coming in to hijack the deal?

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
With his huge wages, it was always going to be a small fee, heck I expected us to give him away for free. Either that or carry on paying them crazy wages for a player that the manager doesn't want and not many teams can afford. Still think he should have been given a chance like Fellaini and Young have been given.

Zen

Thanks for the 18 months where he was the third best player in the world*

*-according to a big proportion of the caf.

Wait, he hasn't left yet? What's going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.