Nani will reignite our charge to the title

Status
Not open for further replies.

pillory

Is it my imagination or has Nani suddenly become a decent defender. This tracking back and tenacity was fantastic.
He has, but mostly because he defends smarter, not harder. His positioning used to be the biggest problem, but he's rarely in the wrong place now.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
had a magnificent game, i could not believe how hard he was working, and how he tried to lift the crowd and the team up by showing so much heart and working his socks off. well done and long may it continue!!!

Feed Me

I'm hungry
had a magnificent game, i could not believe how hard he was working, and how he tried to lift the crowd and the team up by showing so much heart and working his socks off. well done and long may it continue!!!
I think we're past the stage of hoping that he can keep it up. He's put a good enough run together to be considered one of the first names on the team sheet.

vikram10

Top class performance. Still needs to concentrate on the simple passes; gives his teammates too much to do.

Ekeke

Top class performance. Still needs to concentrate on the simple passes; gives his teammates too much to do.
Today his passing was fine, except when it was to Fletcher. And Fletcher to him. For some reason Fletcher always played the ball 15 yards in front of him even when it favoured the defender. He must think he's a little bit faster than he actually is or something. They were rarely on the same wavelength.

TuTuHimm

Can definitely write definitely correctly
Nani has been performing really well for the last few weeks. Tonight I finally saw a United player. He played with flair, immense determination and strong will to win. He played with is heart today. Ronaldo-esque really.

vikram10

Today his passing was fine, except when it was to Fletcher. And Fletcher to him. For some reason Fletcher always played the ball 15 yards in front of him even when it favoured the defender. He must think he's a little bit faster than he actually is or something. They were rarely on the same wavelength.
I think he's still a bit unsure of what's expected of him. In situations where the ball's being won or space is tight, he's usually lingering around for the out ball. But sometimes, there's space behind the defense and that's what he could start running into and then the mids can start weighting the ball.

Twisted_Woody

Scout
Nani has been performing really well for the last few weeks. Tonight I finally saw a United player. He played with flair, immense determination and strong will to win. He played with is heart today. Ronaldo-esque really.
A little bit more skill and composure and I think he could have won it for us on that break away when we were down to 10 men.

Promising though - a silver lining to the match. Well, that and not losing I suppose.

kundalini

A little bit more skill and composure and I think he could have won it for us on that break away when we were down to 10 men.

Promising though - a silver lining to the match. Well, that and not losing I suppose.
I watched it again, and indeed their first goal and so much depends upon what the keeper does. VDS's positioning seems marginally off so he's slightly covering the post while their keeper moves yet manages to get his arm up in time. Nani was hoping that the keeper would anticipate the curling shot into the far corner and therefore be surprised by the near post shot; unfortunately the keeper didn't commit sufficiently for it to work.

beardsleybob

I think with performances like these, it's apparent that Nani is now much more keen on playing down the left side. In the past, his game suffered on that side, maybe because he stepped on the field dreading playing on his weaker side. That's a lost battle before a ball is even kicked. But it seems he's over that now though.

Logan!

His first goals in the CL! Hopefully this shall spark a rampage from him in Europe, got to love Nanners.
Similar thing happened to Ronaldo. Took him ages to pop his European cherry but once he scored against Roma in 06/07 there was no holding him back.

Shimo

He popped his United cherry for us last night but, had scored in the CL for Lisbon once.

Sojiro

Formerly MST3K
"Sometimes you're not sure about a player,&qu
Hats off to Nani. I've been a pretty big critic in the past but I'm fully converted now.
if only all those willing to take digs/potshots at him were willing to admit they were wrong doc.

Those two goals were wonderul and he is in full flight at the moment. Kudos to him for believing, the coaching staff in believing and even the new contract ;)

CR#7

one positive thing I have taken from the week is that Nani is really turning into his own

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Nani was fantastic last night. I echo your sentiments Boss, really looking forward to his next game.

twitter thread suggester
Nani has managed to turn people around Fletch-style within 2½ month.
Anderson will prove a lot of people on here wrong as well.

puNANI

Both him and Anderson have immense talent. The best thing to do is wait patiently and let them develop and mature. Young players need positive criticism, anything else is detrimental to their mentality. Build there confidence and show them trust and you will see similar results that Nani has had in the last 2 and a half months.

Sniggleton

Fletch was playing balls to Nani as though he was Valencia. The problem is that they're newly first team regulars, especially in the same starting XI, and of course Fletch is new to that fold as well. Will take time to adjust. But of all our midfielders, these three look to be the ones with the longest-term futures at United, and I'm sure they'll come to know one another quite well in the not-too-distant.

I was on the "Sell Nani" bandwagon a year ago. How wrong I was!

RedDevil [NC]

In the Mountains of NC watching United like its my
Im gald after all of my defending him he finally proved me right! I think he has something special about him. He has Ronaldos drive to not lose and hopefully he can come back from the World Cup and set the league on fire. He may not live up to Ronaldo's billing but if he even gets half as good he will truely be a special player!

Chris H

Video Posting God
I was on the "Sell Nani" bandwagon a year ago. How wrong I was!
I thought he was a goner for sure, and I wasn't going to miss him. But the New and Improved Nani that we've had since Christmas has been great. Seems to have purchased himself the clue he was lacking.

paul teague

Soory i dont see it ! two goal dont make him a good player he has signs of being a great player but he has to show it week in week out and as far as im concerned he hasnt yet !

twitter thread suggester
I've now seen quite a few people say he's only had 3-4 good games, so I decided to do a bit of digging.

These are his last 16 matches.
MOTM is from the MOTM threads on here.

Code:
[B][U]Date	Opponent	Result		G	A	MOTM:[/U][/B]
apr-07	H- Bayern	W 3 - 2		2	0	1st
apr-03	H- Chelsea	L 1 - 2		0	1	3rd best
mar-30	A- Bayern	L 2 - 1		0	0	2nd best
mar-27	A- Bolton	W 0 - 4		0	2	2nd best
mar-21	H- Liverpool	W 2 - 1		0	0	0 votes
mar-14	H- Fulham	W 3 - 0		0	1	3rd best
mar-10	H- AC Milan	W 4 - 0		0	1	4th best
mar-06	A- Wolves	W 0 - 1		0	0	3 votes
feb-16	A- AC Milan	W 2 - 3		0	0	2 votes
feb-10	A- Aston Villa	D 1 - 1		0	0	0 votes
feb-06	H- Portsmouth	W 5 - 0		0	0	2nd best
jan-31	A- Arsenal	W 1 - 3		0	1	2nd best
jan-27	H- Man City	W 3 - 1		0	0	3rd best
jan-23	H- Hull City	W 4 - 0		0	1	2nd best
jan-16	H- Burnley	W 3 - 0		0	0	3rd best
dec-08	A- Wolfsburg	W 1 - 3		0	1	0 votes
So can we now stop this nonsense about him having only had a couple good games?

paul teague

sorry all these polls and votes mean nothing if United are out of the Chap lge and do not win the Prem lge ! ! The fact is for alot of this season hes been warming the bench and the reason he has played resently is becuase of the lack of any other opition ! which is a sad thing for United ! As i said he has a possible great future ahead of him but that is a big if and im yet to be convinced of his commitment and passion for United for the whole full 90 mins ?

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
To be fair, those stats do show that he's still blowing hot and cold, a few good games, followed by a few poor ones. The big positive about the last few months is that the hot streaks have been lasting longer and the dips in form not as long.

I'll hold my hand up and say I didn't think he had it in him to play as well as he has done in some of those games you've listed there. It's also encouraging that his best performances of all IMO have been in some of our biggest games this season (City in the CC, Arsenal in the league and Bayern in the CL) That bodes well for the future.

twitter thread suggester
To be fair, those stats do show that he's still blowing hot and cold, a few good games, followed by a few poor ones. The big positive about the last few months is that the hot streaks have been lasting longer and the dips in form not as long.
The point was that you and others said he had only had 4 good games since the turn of the year, which, as you can see, simply isn't true.

Pogue Mahone

sorry all these polls and votes mean nothing if United are out of the Chap lge and do not win the Prem lge ! ! The fact is for alot of this season hes been warming the bench and the reason he has played resently is becuase of the lack of any other opition ! which is a sad thing for United ! As i said he has a possible great future ahead of him but that is a big if and im yet to be convinced of his commitment and passion for United for the whole full 90 mins ?
What the feck are you on about? He ran himself into the ground against Bayern.

He's guilty of being a bit flaky in the past in terms of his performance and decision-making but he's always worked very hard. No idea how you can question his commitment and passion. Is it because he's foreign?

krazyrobus

Then I guess you didn't see Bayern match where he did more running that Berbatov in the last 10 mins. Add to that his tracking back has been as good as Valencia's.

Some people are unbelievable!

Pogue Mahone

The point was that you and others said he had only had 4 good games since the turn of the year, which, as you can see, simply isn't true.
I was talking about his latest purple patch, which does last about 4 or 5 games. I don't personally think he was all that against Fulham or Milan, which means you go back to the beginning of February for the last time when he was really exceptional.

Bear in mind I was replying to a comment saying he was our best attacking player, bar Rooney, so I'm talking about top class performances like we saw against Bayern, Bolton, Arsenal and City, not performances that are simply acceptable.

I will admit, though, I was wrong in thinking that all his best performances had come in a row. I didn't realise the Arsenal/City games were that long ago.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
The thing that's impressed me most is his productivity in the bigger games rather than his upturn in consistency - I'd always expected him to get consistency at some point but very few players are that dangerous in the bigger games.

Assists against Milan, Chelsea and Arsenal and 2 goals against Bayern. Brilliant.

Plus I thought his performance against Bayern was one that really could endear him to the fans, not for his goals but for his tireless running in a completely alien position, was really delighted with it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.