Nani will reignite our charge to the title

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm always right

He was shocking today.

Most of his corners didn't get past the first man, his crosses were poor, his general passing was poor and he gave away the ball too much. He should have crossed it at the end as well instead of doing another crap shot.

Not good enough today.
feck me. :rolleyes:

He was far from shocking, his corners were very poor though. His passing was very good. As for his crosses... well it doesn't fecking help when your record signing striker has no interest on getting on the end of anything.

Cina

He was shocking today.

Most of his corners didn't get past the first man, his crosses were poor, his general passing was poor and he gave away the ball too much. He should have crossed it at the end as well instead of doing another crap shot.

Not good enough today.
Oh bugger off. If you think he was shocking then you are clueless. The only reason he shot so much is because he had nothing to pass/cross to. Some of the crosses he did put in were brilliant, but there was nobody to get on the end of it. He bet his man every single time.

I was waiting for this day to come, where he had a relatively average (yet still better than our other attacking players) performance after 2 1/2 months of excellent performances, and all the haters jump back on the bandwagon again.

HsJ

feck me. :rolleyes:

He was far from shocking, his corners were very poor though. His passing was very good. As for his crosses... well it doesn't fecking help when your record signing striker has no interest on gettingvon the end of anything.
Exactly.

Nani has been good.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Today was an off day for Nani but what's encouraging is that it was miles better than off-days from earlier in his United career. Worked hard, helped out his full-back and always available for a pass.

Wasn't happening for him in the final third and his set-pieces were gash but a solid 7 out of 10 performance overall, which is great for a game in which he wasn't at his best.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Today was an off day for Nani but what's encouraging is that it was miles better than off-days from earlier in his United career. Worked hard, helped out his full-back and always available for a pass.

Wasn't happening for him in the final third and his set-pieces were gash but a solid 7 out of 10 performance overall, which is great for a game in which he wasn't at his best.

Wait................... what?

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know

Bollocks, it was as bad as any of his off-days of 6 months ago, I don't mind him having one now as I didn't then either.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa

Yea

Name Changed

weso26

Probably. I think his distribution was worse that his previous off days because he'd always have one cross or pass of brilliance. His work ethic has dramatically improved and he has become a better player when off form. His decision making still needs massive improving though.

twitter thread suggester
Probably. I think his distribution was worse that his previous off days because he'd always have one cross or pass of brilliance.
To be fair, he did have a couple great passes in the first half - one to Berbatov springs to mind.

But yeah, it just didn't work for him today. His corners were shockingly bad.

Redrage

He was average today. He did pretty well to get into great position but his final ball was poor and his corners were absolute waste. Did well to cover for the defense and ran the whole pitch to get the ball if he'd lost it which is encouraging.

Number7

Ret's Slave
He's had more offdays than people realise (Milan away, Bayern away, Milan home first half, today), because he's also had a lot more good performances than he has in the past.

Still hugely inconsistent but atleast people can see the potential now, which wasn't the case around Christmas.

twitter thread suggester
He's had more offdays than people realise (Milan away, Bayern away, Milan home first half, today), because he's also had a lot more good performances than he has in the past.
:confused: He was probably our second best player in the first game against Bayern.

Cina

Still hugely inconsistent but atleast people can see the potential now, which wasn't the case around Christmas.
Hardly off days are they? Half a game? And in the other 3 the whole team was shite.

Picking at straws there.

twitter thread suggester
That really doesn't say much
:confused: If he was one of the best players on the pitch, then he was hardly having an offday, but made the best of what he got to work with.

And if we're going to judge a player based on one half, then Giggs' has been our worst player the last two years.

Number7

Ret's Slave
Hardly off days are they? 2 halfs? And in the other 2 the whole team was shite.

Picking at straws there.
Doesn't matter if whole team's shit too, if he doesn't play well, it's still an off day.

And I remember going fecking barmey at Nani in that first half again Milan at home, he actually passed the ball directly to Milan about 10 times...it was a riduclous performance up until that sublime pass.

Cina

Doesn't matter if whole team's shit too, if he doesn't play well, it's still an off day.
Oh come on, if he was one of the best players on the pitch then how is it an off-day? Flawed logic there.

Look at today, yes he wasn't great, but he was still one of our better players, if anything his performance was hampered by the fact that he had absolutely nobody to pass to at times because the rest of the team were playing so shite.

CantonaVeron

I thought he was poor but I kind of agree that he never stopped trying even when things didn't go right he kept going. He lacked quality today but the effort was there. Hopefully he has a good summer and we can really see some consistant top performances from him next season.

Number7

Ret's Slave
Oh come on, if he was one of the best players on the pitch then how is it an off-day? Flawed logic there.

Look at today, yes he wasn't great, but he was still one of our better players, if anything his performance was hampered by the fact that he had absolutely nobody to pass to at times.
I disagree, It is possible at times for the entire team to not play well and when that happens, you can't claim an individual was good just because he's one of the better ones.

He's done well the past few months. Brilliant at times, infuriating at others. Similar to Ronaldo in his easrly days, it should be noted. Not that I'm suggesting he'll be as good, but he's improved a lot.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Nani was alright today. He's gotten much much better. Pogue's spot on, his off days are now 6 or 7s rather than 4 or 5s. He was absolutely epic against Bayern on Wednesday but had no one to pass to in the final third...today was relatively the same. With Macheda off, what could he do?

I'm happy with Nani this season, and his progress in the latter half shows great promise for next year. Of all the people to blame, Nani is certainly not one of them. He's been one of our main performers in the final stretch, even in this dier patch we're going through.

Cina

Nani was alright today. He's gotten much much better. Pogue's spot on, his off days are now 6 or 7s rather than 4 or 5s. He was absolutely epic against Bayern on Wednesday but had no one to pass to in the final third...today was relatively the same. With Macheda off, what could he do?

I'm happy with Nani this season, and his progress in the latter half shows great promise for next year. Of all the people to blame, Nani is certainly not one of them. He's been one of our main performers in the final stretch, even in this dier patch we're going through.
Spot.
On.

hungrywing

Nani's been great - he's not your more forceful personality type, so he was always going to take some time feeling comfortable with his increased importance to the team. As soon as he settles even further into the pecking order and other people start making runs for him the way they do for Rooney, he's going to be even better. As of now, people just stand around waiting for his crosses - hardly the ideal situation for making the most of his split-second decision-making ability. People talk about his dallying on the ball, but that's a two-way street: half the time, he's dallying because HIS TARGETS are dallying. Aside from Park and his intelligent runs, we have a very static attack for such a high-profile club.

I'm always right

Fantastic post Mockney, summed it up perfectly.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa

Yea says the chief:cool:

Rowem

gently, down the stream
Nani was all right. Good movement I though. He didn't really have a striker to link up with who was on the same wave length as him, especially after Macheda went off.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Nani's been great - he's not your more forceful personality type, so he was always going to take some time feeling comfortable with his increased importance to the team. As soon as he settles even further into the pecking order and other people start making runs for him the way they do for Rooney, he's going to be even better. As of now, people just stand around waiting for his crosses - hardly the ideal situation for making the most of his split-second decision-making ability. People talk about his dallying on the ball, but that's a two-way street: half the time, he's dallying because HIS TARGETS are dallying. Aside from Park and his intelligent runs, we have a very static attack for such a high-profile club.
He's gotten much stronger on the ball to...Against Bayern he constantly shrugged off 3 or 4 players but then had no options afterwards, and today for some spells he did the same. He brushes off challenges far more now, when last year he would've just fallen over holding his face for no apparent reason. (though he still does this, but only when someone actually touches his face...so he's even gotten better at diving!)

Be good if we could get someone for the left, as he was brilliant in that little run on the right wing, it allowed him to cross it earlier, the temptation is always there for him to cut inside onto his preferred right

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He was still probably our best attacking player today. He had a period in the second half where he gave the ball constantly (largely because he had absolutely nobody giving him a real option most of the time) which I think has coloured some people's views of his performance. But overall, he was still at least a 6/10 if not a 7/10.

hungrywing

He's gotten much stronger on the ball to...Against Bayern he constantly shrugged off 3 or 4 players but then had no options afterwards, and today for some spells he did the same. He brushes off challenges far more now, when last year he would've just fallen over holding his face for no apparent reason. (though he still does this, but only when someone actually touches his face...so he's even gotten better at diving!)
So true. Makes you wonder exactly how hard they drilled it into him and Ronaldo to go down like pansies that it takes more than a season to kick (ho ho) the habit. He's still got a ways to go to finish breaking out of his shell, but he's not the type of person to do it on his own...

I think it's time the staff really take a long hard look at building the team around Rooney-Nani. (I think a Rooney-Nani-Park triumvirate would have been nigh unbeatable a-la Ronaldo-Rooney-Park but it doesn't look like happening as we lack a 4th multi-position attacker)

Anyhow, have Rooney as Option 1 and Nani as Option 2. Have everyone base their movement and positioning around freeing up those two. Otherwise we'll waste the fantastic talent that is Nanners.

Sojiro

Formerly MST3K
"Sometimes you're not sure about a player,&qu

nail meet head.

great summary mockney.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
So I had a go on the Guardian chalkboards to try and quantify how much better "new Nani" is than "old Nani".

Here are all the passes he made yesterday (new Nani) as compared to when we beat Blackburn at home in October (old Nani). Bearing in mind we won that game two nil and were the home side, you would expect Nani to be much more heavily involved in that particular game.

Au contraire.

Home game on top, away game on the bottom.

As you can see, even though it wasn't happening for him in the final third he was much much more heavily involved throughout - making almost twice as many passes.

Some other interesting comparative stats. He attempted 8 tackles yesterday, winning 6 of them. At OT he attempted 6 and won none. He took 6 shots yesterday, 3 missed the target and 3 were blocked. In the home fixture he took just 3 shots, none of which hit the target.

All of which proves that even when he's having a an off day, "new Nani" puts in a much more mature, hard-woring and effective performance than he did in the dark days of earlier this season or the season before.

B Cantona

Desperate
I thought he played well yesterday personally. I can't remember him fannying about in faux agony either which pleases me

I want to clock him one for his corners though. Seriously, how difficult is it to beat the first man at a corner? He picks him out almost without fail

I want to clock him one for his corners though. Seriously, how difficult is it to beat the first man at a corner? He picks him out almost without fail
Yup, but when you get those right, they are so much harder to defend, it's why so many corners from all teams hit the first man.

But set-piece delivery isn't something which is just a problem for Nani, it's seemingly the whole team, if we make any further signings this summer, setpiece delivery has to be considered. A player like Vidic is too much of a threat to waste with woeful delivery

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I was watching Marseille goals in their last 2 Ligue 1 matches and they managed to score with 3 corners.The difference between the delivery from Lucho and the ones Nani makes is huge.
It really requires proper training and I guess it's something that SAF isn't really focusing on I guess which is a shame considering the fact that we have decent players in the air

Boss

Melodramatic, attention seeking space-attacker
I left you with enough memories to resurrect me wi
Agreed.

Status
Not open for further replies.