Television Narcos: Mexico | Netflix

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
Pena came across as really dislikeable to me. I thought of him as a bigger asshole than the traffickers and murderers in the cartel which I guess says more about me than him.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Disagree strongly 1>3>2>4 imo.

Felt this season dragged too much after a good first 3 episodes. Final 2 episodes were good though, especially the final one. Thought Pena's acting was really poor for one of the main characters.
Nah I loved it. Thought Pena and Luna were loody brilliant too (Luna more so).

The only drag bit for me was Rafaels angle of coke addiction but that's about it.

Frank Grimes

Nah I loved it. Thought Pena and Luna were loody brilliant too (Luna more so).

The only drag bit for me was Rafaels angle of coke addiction but that's about it.
That Rafa drug/love storyline got boring really quick. Between episodes 5-8(could be wrong about the exact episodes) the standard of the show dipped markedly imo and that's why its not on the same level as the Colombian ones for me.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
That Rafa drug/love storyline got boring really quick. Between episodes 5-8(could be wrong about the exact episodes) the standard of the show dipped markedly imo and that's why its not on the same level as the Colombian ones for me.
Yeah that bit dragged.

I really didn't like the Colombian ones as much as this. There was an unfamiliarity with Felix, and you can see him change in attitude and stature. I felt I could see the journey he went on to become the man he was known as.

Pablo was straight up, first episode, "Plata O Plomo bitches!" which got pretty monotone pretty quick in comparison.

It's all opinions anyway.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Very poor series. Major regret for not giving up on this after first couple of episodes. Given the ending they really needed the audience to relate with Pena's character which they completely failed to accomplish. They also kept pulling the same trick with main villain whenever he was in some kind of jam.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
I thought it was excellent. Yeah, there was a bit of a lull in the middle, but it was still good. The last few episodes were great. The thing with Mexico is, the story only grows from here, it should set up a great couple of seasons.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
I thought it was excellent. Yeah, there was a bit of a lull in the middle, but it was still good. The last few episodes were great. The thing with Mexico is, the story only grows from here, it should set up a great couple of seasons.
This is the most exciting bit for me.
Unlike the first Narcos, it's not solely dependent on Escobar (the Cali cartel season was good too, but still somehow related).

youngrell

I'm only 6 episodes in and enjoying. I agree that so far it doesn't stack up to the Colombian seasons but hoping it will grow.

I think Colombia offered a better backdrop visually and I also seemed to warm to the Colombian's (both good and bad guys) more than I have the Mexicans so far. Another factor which I really enjoyed in season's 1-3 is the real footage intwined with the dramatisation, there hasn't been as much in this season.

Still can't get enough of the opening credits :cool:

Kapardin

Finished watching it. Absolute gold, they just aren't letting up. I really can't compare each season to the others anymore because they are shaped by the narrative based on true events -- the Escobar seasons required a powerful larger-than-life character which was played by Wagner Moura, while the Cali season was focused more on the plot and didn't need stand out actors.

This season is a mix of both. Think Diego Luna did a good job portraying the various personality transformations that Felix goes through. Michael Pena was adequate, I don't think Ant-Man will be the same for me again!

My favorite character was the guy who played Rafa. He just nailed all the emotions he went through despite the fact that his story arc was unnecessary -- his acting was great though I am not a fan of that romance stuff. Overal, brilliant stuff and this series just goes for strength to strength, with great casting choices and dramaticization of true events. Can't wait for the next season.

I also bought a statue of Jesus Malverde for my car.:D

iluvoursolskjær

Searching for life's white text in London
Escobar, Pena, Pacho, Chepe and Felix were the standout performances/characters of the series for me.

Rafa got really annoying with his angles, the story of the 4th season as a whole could have been much better told but it was still a decent enough watch.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Michael Pena has done too many comic relief roles for me to take him seriously. I was just waiting for him to do something wacky. Same problem I had with Bryan Cranston in Breaking Bad. It's like casting Rowan Atkinson as the next James Bond.

Still, liked the season. Though I'm getting a little bit burned out from the Narcos, El chapo vibe.

Red Pavan

shittest username ever manutddabest791
Michael Pena has done too many comic relief roles for me to take him seriously. I was just waiting for him to do something wacky. Same problem I had with Bryan Cranston in Breaking Bad. It's like casting Rowan Atkinson as the next James Bond.

Still, liked the season. Though I'm getting a little bit burned out from the Narcos, El chapo vibe.
Sorry but Heisenberg is one of the most unrelenting and iconic characters on TV and Bryan Cranston made that possible.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Sorry but Heisenberg is one of the most unrelenting and iconic characters on TV and Bryan Cranston made that possible.
I know Im in the super minority, but I dont rate Breaking Bad. Not because Im an anoying hipster who gets off on having an unpopular opinion. I just cant get through it. Tried watching it thrice now.

Ronaldo's ego

Incorrectly predicted the 2020 US Election
I'm better than Messi (even though I'm not)
It was decent across the board, nothing special. Didn’t really care enough about any of the characters to get really invested as the Columbia series. Didn’t like Rafa, some gangsters are cool but he’s the kind I’d want to put a bullet between his eyes

Roosney

I know Im in the super minority, but I dont rate Breaking Bad. Not because Im an anoying hipster who gets off on having an unpopular opinion. I just cant get through it. Tried watching it thrice now.
Same here, I have started watching BB twice and just can't get into it.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Keep trying. It is brilliant.

It took me many times to get into the Wire, which is very slow to get going, but is nearly as good as Breaking Bad once you do get hooked.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord

It took me many times to get into the Wire, which is very slow to get going, but is nearly as good as Breaking Bad once you do get hooked.
I loved the Wire, though that's one you need to get into as well.

OnBreaking Bad, I gave up, read the plot on wikipedia to see what all the fuss was about..:nervous:

Roosney

4/10. The only positive was Don Neto but the actor was a bit one dimensional, as was the whole season.
Just the last rwo episodes made wanna bingewatch the show.

jem

Surely you got over that by at least the beginning of the second season, no?

Edit: just read that you couldn't keep going with it. Not the first time I've heard that, but I'd really recommend giving it another shot. Then, you get to experience the brilliance that is Better Call Saul after it.

jem

I love Breaking Bad, but for me, The Wire isn't nearly as good; it's far better.

youngrell

Finally finished over Christmas. Thought it picked up towards the end and was the disappointed it ended. Looking forward to the next season now that we are a little more familiar with these characters.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I enjoyed all seasons of Narcos so far, but I can't get into this. It's around my 15th attempt and I am at end of second eoisode. It's so boring so far.

MadMike

Binged it this weekend. It pretty decent, not as good as the first 3 series though. And have to agree with the criticism that Michael Pena was not a very likeable fella in this role and it didn’t feel very well acted on his part.

What was most shocking to watch, was the level of blatant, brazen corruption at all levels of the Mexican state machine. Everyone was on the take.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Decent watch. Starts slowly but the last few episodes are good. Nowhere near as good as the first 2 seasons of Narcos where they focused on Escobar.

kundalini

I enjoyed season 2, though perhaps not as interesting as the early seasons focusing on Escobar and Javier Pena. Neither Walt nor Felix have that level of charisma, while there are so many Plaza bosses and associates, that you don't learn much about most of them. Pablo Acosta, El Chapo and Amado Carillo Fuentes more interesting than the rest.

The limited female screen time gets split between numerous different wives, sisters, girlfriends. Think I'd have preferred to focus more on a few of them.

I don't know the history behind Narcos Mexico. The country seemed in a bad way. The PRI, corrupt elections, army protecting the narcos, lack of honour among the Plaza bosses.

Last edited:

Irrational.

Just finished this: was a good watch with some top notch acting/ camerawork but was too much of a slow-burner for me. Looking forward to seeing where they take things after this.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Thought it picked up a lot in the second half of the season. Felix is such a detestable little cnut and you're always craving his comeuppance.

Killing Palma's wife and kids was fecked up.

Isabella never got them out.

A third season possibly on the rise of Chapo would be cool.