Nature is wild

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
Dumb question. Im a huge Sir David Attenborough fan and love presenters like him and Brian Cox but because im at the arse end of the world Im only now starting to hear about a guy on BBC called Chris Packham. Is he any any good?
Yeah, he's very good, although he is more famous as being a presenter for kids nature programmes like The Really Wild Show, and more famous over the last decade or so for doing British based programmes about each season such as Springwatch etc. He's an avid campaigner for animal rights too. Although he caused some controversy by saying that Panda's were too expensive to save as it's fighting a losing battle and he would eat the last one on the planet so money could go towards saving other animals instead. He also regularly upsets hunters and posh twats that like hunting foxes whilst on horseback with a pack of dogs.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Yeah, he's very good, although he is more famous as being a presenter for kids nature programmes like The Really Wild Show, and more famous over the last decade or so for doing British based programmes about each season such as Springwatch etc. He's an avid campaigner for animal rights too. Although he caused some controversy by saying that Panda's were too expensive to save as it's fighting a losing battle and he would eat the last one on the planet so money could go towards saving other animals instead. He also regularly upsets hunters and posh twats that like hunting foxes whilst on horseback with a pack of dogs.
Cheers
Pandas are worth saving because they are such stupid bastards we would lose their comedic value if they ever disappeared.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
A 60 years old female orca charging and taking down a great white shark, viewed from above.

Last edited:

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
A 60 years old female orca charging and taking down a great white shark, viewed from above.

I have probably said it before in this thread, but orcas are amazing. I wonder how fast the orca is going when it attacks the shark!

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
I have probably said it before in this thread, but orcas are amazing. I wonder how fast the orca is going when it attacks the shark!
I absolutely love them.

Orcas top speed can go up to about 35 mph. Obviously she wasn't that fast when she took that shark down, but what amazes me is the acceleration burst, underwater. Absolutely incredible for an animal of that size. The violence of the impact directly in the gills means that the shark probably got instantly knocked out. It looks like it got hit a by train.

They're the true apex predators of the seas and one of the most intelligent species on the planet. There's still so much to discover about their society, customs and behavior. I plan on taking a dive with them in Norway as soon as I can. Hopefully this summer.

Last edited:

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Orcas top can go up to about 35 mph. Obviously she wasn't that fast when she took that shark down, but what amazes me is the acceleration burst, underwater. Absolutely incredible for an animal of that size. The violence of the impact directly in the gills means that the shark probably got instantly knocked out. It looks like it got hit a by train.
Yeah, that's what I meant. The size of a truck and launches and smashes into that shark like a cannonball. Absolutely spectacular.

Just don't have that happen to you on your swim. ;)

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
Yeah, that's what I meant. The size of a truck and launches and smashes into that shark like a cannonball. Absolutely spectacular.

Just don't have that happen to you on your swim. ;)
Nah, orcas in the wild are quite chill with humans, playful and very curious about us (see videos below), as much as we are about them. There's never been any recorded attack from orcas on humans in the wild, ever. They're an absolute nightmare to any other creature in the ocean, except us. We're dealing with a highly intelligent species, not mindless predators and even a short encounter with them in their element is worth a lifetime.

And if I'm wrong... Well, by the look of it, I don't think that I'll even have time to regret it.

The unedited version:

Here's another one:

The last one explains a great deal about about orca pods and their behavioral rules:

Last edited:

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Nah, orcas in the wild are quite chill with humans, playful and very curious about us (see video below), as much as we are about them. There's never been any recorded attack from orcas on humans in the wild, ever. They're an absolute nightmare to any other creature in the ocean, except us. We're dealing with a highly intelligent species, not mindless predators and even a short live encounter with them in their element is worth a lifetime.

And if I'm wrong... Well, by the look of it, I don't think that I'll even have time to regret it.

The unedited version:

Here's another one:

The last one explains a great deal about about orca pods and their behavioral rules:

I suppose they can recognize humans are not food then - and anything that isn't food can be played with. I'm sure I'd be scared shitless, but then I'm a poor swimmer anyway, so I think I'd simply be scared by being afloat somewhere in the ocean in the first place. :D

Fingeredmouse

Nah, orcas in the wild are quite chill with humans, playful and very curious about us (see video below), as much as we are about them. There's never been any recorded attack from orcas on humans in the wild, ever. They're an absolute nightmare to any other creature in the ocean, except us. We're dealing with a highly intelligent species, not mindless predators and even a short live encounter with them in their element is worth a lifetime.

The unedited version:

Here's another one:

There is at least one Orca attacks on humans is there not (sometime in the 70s maybe) although given the chap survived, I guess there was no murderous intent.

I do think it's odd that they don't attack humans. They hunt and kill mammals regularly. Why not us?

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
There is at least one Orca attacks on humans is there not (sometime in the 70s maybe) although given the chap survived, I guess there was no murderous intent.

I do think it's odd that they don't attack humans. They hunt and kill mammals regularly. Why not us?
We’re just lucky they agreed to a peace pact after Free Willy, otherwise we’d be fecked eventually.

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
I suppose they can recognize humans are not food then - and anything that isn't food can be played with. I'm sure I'd be scared shitless, but then I'm a poor swimmer anyway, so I think I'd simply be scared by being afloat somewhere in the ocean in the first place. :D
Good swimmer or not Michael’s Phelps ain’t getting away from one of those. Hasn’t there been a recent upsurge in Orcas attacking fishermen’s boats in the last few years?

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Good swimmer or not Michael’s Phelps ain’t getting away from one of those. Hasn’t there been a recent upsurge in Orcas attacking fishermen’s boats in the last few years?
They're apparently specifically targeting the rudder of boats somewhere near Spain, I think it was.

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
They're apparently specifically targeting the rudder of boats somewhere near Spain, I think it was.

Yeah i’m sure that was it even though I guess they were just playing.

Feck jumping in up close and personal with one though, prefer keeping my feet dry and trunks clean.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City

It happened in 1972 and the orca quickly let go. Other than that nothing. What we do know is that they don't do well with captivity. At all. There's been indeed humans killed by orcas, and all of the four fatal recorded cases as of 2023 involved captive orcas. One of them, "Tilikum" being alone responsible for three deaths.

Orcas are quite the picky eaters and never hunt or eat anything else than what they've been taught by their mothers. We don't belong to the menu (too low on fat), and their intelligence goes far beyond any other predator of this planet.

You ain't running away from any motivated big sea predator when it's in the mood. Orca or not. They're simply built different.

The orcas targeted boats not humans, and specifically their rudder in order to disable them. Scientists think that it may stem from the pod's Grandma (aka the Don) experiencing a traumatic event involving a boat (injury by propeller comes to mind) and consequently taught her offspring how to attack them. Another hypothesis is that fishermen were seen as a direct competition for the tuna hunt in the region. Both of them aren't mutually exclusive. Boats were perceived as not only intruders but also as a potential existential threat by the pods and dealt with accordingly, hence the attacks. For me, another sign of their incredible intelligence and the fascinating way "traditions" are passed from generation to generation within the orca pods.

In short, orcas don't perceive us as a threat or food when we're on our own, pathetically wiggling in the ocean. Being surrounded by them actually means that you are in the safest place the ocean could ever provide.

Last edited:

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
In short, orcas don't perceive us as a threat or food when we're on our own, pathetically wiggling in the ocean. Being surrounded by them actually means that you are in the safest place the ocean could ever provide.

I agree and guessing you a right but feck would I want to be surrounded by an Orca pod in the ocean.

Fascinating creatures and love the story of how they attacked a Great White Shark and the other sharks in the area swam to a different ocean (or crossed the Atlantic)

4bars

Supports
Barcelona

Very rarely but they had been seen killing and eating a swimming moose

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
We’re just lucky they agreed to a peace pact after Free Willy, otherwise we’d be fecked eventually.
A friend of mine calls "I am going to free willy" when he goes to the toilet. Yup necessary for the conversation

4bars

Supports
Barcelona

That's crazy fast. As I understand, they only consume the rich grease liver, right?

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
I had no idea spiders did this until today - my mind is blown:

Ballooning, sometimes called kiting, is a process by which spiders, and some other small invertebrates, move through the air by releasing one or more gossamer threads to catch the wind, causing them to become airborne at the mercy of air currents and electric fields. A 2018 study concluded that electric fields provide enough force to lift spiders in the air, and possibly elicit ballooning behavior.
Many sailors have reported spiders being caught in their ship's sails over 1,000 miles (1,600 km)[18] from land (Heimer 1988). They have even been detected in atmospheric data balloons collecting air samples at slightly less than 5 kilometers (16,000 ft) above sea level.[19] Evidently, ballooning is the most common way for spiders to invade isolated islands and mountaintops.[18][20] Spiderlings are known to survive without food while travelling in air currents of jet streams for 25 days or longer.[5]
Ballooning (spider) - Wikipedia