Nba 2007-2008

68-99-08

US needs to get over the fact that there won't be another Jordan.

But for me even if Lakers don't win the championship, Kobe needs to show that he is good enough at least to draw the comparisons.
Agreed. I dunno whats worse between english media with the england team or americans with kobe. no matter what kobe does he will always be compared to jordan and everyone knows he will never go down as a better player than him. kobe is the closest thing america has seen since jordan, yet because he wont be as good as him they just criticise his every move and take him for granted which is unfortunate because he should be more apreciated and will probably go down as the 2nd best shooting guard ever.

even if kobe doesnt win a ring this year i think he will probly win about another 2 before he retires anyway. jordan won his first when he was 28 and kobe is 29. the lakers are still a young team so they should have the same core for a while.

on a pure talent level (forgettin all personal achivements etc), would you put kobe on the same level as jordan as a player? if kobe had the same path as jordans career on the bulls and played with pippen, rodman, grant etc would he have been as sucussful as jordan?

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Pressure is on Boston... lose game 6 and they will feel the home fans worries. Personally, I'd love to see Boston fans suffer another meltdown like their Patriots did.

As for comparison between Jordan and Kobe, they're unfair and stupid. Kobe is a great player in his own right and at comparable ages he was more advanced than Jordan. But this about the age Jordan started to separate himself from Magic, Bird, Dr J, etc. Kobe has a few great years left in him and if he can win two or more titles and dominate the league much like Jordan did in his early 30s then we can open the debate again. One thing for sure, Kobe doesn't have that Pippen type next to him at the moment. No Pippen equals no championships for Chicago. Odom is decent but he's no Pippen by any means. Gasol is no Pippen by any stretch of the imagination. And Bynum is not playing but even he isn't a great player (yet). Pippen could score when needed, was a tremendous passer and handler of the ball, and he played exceptional defense, something Gasol and Odom can't fathom.

ecantona7

Whatever happens, there are always things you coul
Pressure is on Boston... lose game 6 and they will feel the home fans worries. Personally, I'd love to see Boston fans suffer another meltdown like their Patriots did.

As for comparison between Jordan and Kobe, they're unfair and stupid. Kobe is a great player in his own right and at comparable ages he was more advanced than Jordan. But this about the age Jordan started to separate himself from Magic, Bird, Dr J, etc. Kobe has a few great years left in him and if he can win two or more titles and dominate the league much like Jordan did in his early 30s then we can open the debate again. One thing for sure, Kobe doesn't have that Pippen type next to him at the moment. No Pippen equals no championships for Chicago. Odom is decent but he's no Pippen by any means. Gasol is no Pippen by any stretch of the imagination. And Bynum is not playing but even he isn't a great player (yet). Pippen could score when needed, was a tremendous passer and handler of the ball, and he played exceptional defense, something Gasol and Odom can't fathom.
If lakers continue playing defense just like they did in second half of game 4 and all of game 5 then this will be done in 6. Agree with you about first sentence in your post. If lakers win game 7 the momentum will surely be with them but I can't see celts losing this series especially considering their record at home this post-season.

soulblight3r

If lakers continue playing defense just like they did in second half of game 4 and all of game 5 then this will be done in 6. Agree with you about first sentence in your post. If lakers win game 7 the momentum will surely be with them but I can't see celts losing this series especially considering their record at home this post-season.
If lakers win game 7, they don't need anymore momentum ;)

Alex

I don't see Boston losing 2 at home, unfourtanently

68-99-08

I think tonights game will tell us a lot about Kobe Bryant. Big players rise to the big occasion. He said if he had been given 3 games at the start of the year and he had to win them all for a championship he woulda taken it. Regardless of how his teamates play, Kobe has to have a big game to give them any chance. This season Kobe has been unstoppable but this series is the first time ive seen him struggle over a period of games.

soulblight3r

They were never gonna win this game. 19 turnovers, 18 Boston steals. Lakers only had 29 rebounds in total. How pathetic is that? Odom was the only one really trying to get to the rim.

MrMarcello

Boston Massacre! Ouch. Fair play to Boston... they deserved it by playing defense. I must say the shooting of 3-pointers up 30 mid-way through the fourth was unprofessional. That's like bunting to advance runners or stealing bases when up 10 runs in the 9th inning of a baseball game. That would result in a definite beaning of the next batter. In hockey, that would have resulted in a probable brawl. No sportsmanship running up the score like that. I'm surprised Odom didn't close line one of them. I'd been embarrassed either way - losing or getting scorched. But rubbing it in my face equals a definite hard foul from me. Just my two cents.

mu77

i meant the fans
LOl - you mean like those always loyal laker fans you're fecking joking! when the lakers fell on hard time their fans fecked them off. take your plastic Hollywood types and get stuffed. your teams from Minnesota for feck sake!

and as far as band wagon jumpers what's that make you? you support UNITED right , since what 1999. the lakers got done by the better team.

and for those calling out the celts for putting up 3's why was LA still fouling with no fecking chance? i'd not only put up 3's but any laker coming in the lane would leave bleeding! if the game was over then the lakers should have let up too. (right about 10 mins into the 3rd qtr).

Tabata

Likes threads entitled 'Torres Signs' & welches on
LOl - you mean like those always loyal laker fans you're fecking joking! when the lakers fell on hard time their fans fecked them off. take your plastic Hollywood types and get stuffed. your teams from Minnesota for feck sake!

and as far as band wagon jumpers what's that make you? you support UNITED right , since what 1999. the lakers got done by the better team.

and for those calling out the celts for putting up 3's why was LA still fouling with no fecking chance? i'd not only put up 3's but any laker coming in the lane would leave bleeding! if the game was over then the lakers should have let up too. (right about 10 mins into the 3rd qtr).

:lol:

How many times did you post in this thead during the playoffs?

Go and feck right off.

VP

Boston Massacre! Ouch. Fair play to Boston... they deserved it by playing defense. I must say the shooting of 3-pointers up 30 mid-way through the fourth was unprofessional. That's like bunting to advance runners or stealing bases when up 10 runs in the 9th inning of a baseball game. That would result in a definite beaning of the next batter. In hockey, that would have resulted in a probable brawl. No sportsmanship running up the score like that. I'm surprised Odom didn't close line one of them. I'd been embarrassed either way - losing or getting scorched. But rubbing it in my face equals a definite hard foul from me. Just my two cents.
Sorry that's nonsense. So United should stopped playing after going 2-0 up against any team?

The most annoying thing about watching the NBA is the crowd continually chanting DEEE-FENCE, DEE-FENCE. Can't they think of anything else?

soulblight3r

If scoring by shooting 3-pointers were that easy, every team would be using it as their main play. If Lakers don't like the score running up, play some defence. Why is it unprofessional? When we beat Roma 7-1, nobody said it was unprofessional. Unless the Celtics were playing streetball 1-on-1 and putting up 'horse' tricks, I won't say it's being unprofessional

soulblight3r

:lol:

How many times did you post in this thead during the playoffs?

Go and feck right off.
Maybe he's a genuine Celt's fan. I don't know..but talk about bandwagon irony..

mu77

only since the early 70's so yep hopped right up on it then. hondo and white , cowens and silas etc. then bird , parrish and mchale (thanks for KG).saw worse teams than the one last season as well. the teams with players wearing green but not being celtics in the late 70's. bais dieing before he played a game (after the celts had won the title and had the second pick w/bais, which would have been an awesome team and they wouldn't have missed walton) - then reggie lewis kicking as well. the hopes that pitino would turn it around only to watch him trade it away. to years of watching guys wearing green but not playing celtic basketball. red would love this team.

so tabby you can kiss my arse.

VP

Tabata's the biggest glory hunter on here.

Supports United, Real Madrid and AC Milan. And I'm sure he doesn't just support Lakers in basketball.

Tabata

Likes threads entitled 'Torres Signs' & welches on
only since the early 70's so yep hopped right up on it then. hondo and white , cowens and silas etc. then bird , parrish and mchale (thanks for KG).saw worse teams than the one last season as well. the teams with players wearing green but not being celtics in the late 70's. bais dieing before he played a game (after the celts had won the title and had the second pick w/bais, which would have been an awesome team and they wouldn't have missed walton) - then reggie lewis kicking as well. the hopes that pitino would turn it around only to watch him trade it away. to years of watching guys wearing green but not playing celtic basketball. red would love this team.

so tabby you can kiss my arse.
Bandwagon cnut.

Tabata's the biggest glory hunter on here.

Supports United, Real Madrid and AC Milan. And I'm sure he doesn't just support Lakers in basketball.
:houllier::houllier::houllier: Ok?

I've said a few times now that I follow Real a little bit because my father is a life long fan, but I'm 99.9% Man Utd all the time. Oh also go back and try and found posts of mine of me bragging about Real winning the title. Good luck.

mu77

thing is , that laker "fans" left in droves when they were shit and even went to clipper games ffs! fat jack isn't the first star to sit court side - doris day would cry every year when the celts would beat the lakers , then it was diane cannon crying when the lakers would get done.

and this jordon coby thing is nuts - coby won them when he had the best center in the game. jordon never played with a dominate big man. and jordon could score at will and DEFEND which is the hardest thing to do in hoops.

Alex

thing is , that laker "fans" left in droves when they were shit and even went to clipper games ffs! fat jack isn't the first star to sit court side - doris day would cry every year when the celts would beat the lakers , then it was diane cannon crying when the lakers would get done.

and this jordon coby thing is nuts - coby won them when he had the best center in the game. jordon never played with a dominate big man. and jordon could score at will and DEFEND which is the hardest thing to do in hoops.
LA is a big city surely it can support 2 bball teams, just because the Lakers fans werent going to Lakers games doesnt mean they were going to Clippers games.

Also, Kobe is the best player since Jordan, Kobe can score at will and is a great defender, it's not his fault people like Gasol and Odom were playing like shit defensively all series

MrMarcello

Sorry that's nonsense. So United should stopped playing after going 2-0 up against any team?

The most annoying thing about watching the NBA is the crowd continually chanting DEEE-FENCE, DEE-FENCE. Can't they think of anything else?
Ridiculous argument. You can't even begin to compare 2-0 in football to up 30 points in basketball. You'd have to say United being up 8-0 on Chelsea in a cup final and still taking pop shots on goal form top of the box. Or falling down looking for penalties in the box.

2-0 would be like 80-70 in basketball. That's a reasonable distance to change the result.

MrMarcello

the hopes that pitino would turn it around only to watch him trade it away. to years of watching guys wearing green but not playing celtic basketball.
Pitino's chance at resurrecting the franchise hinged on getting the #1 pick in the lottery after Boston finished with the worst record in the league. They ended up drawing #3 while San Antonio, having plummeted to a losing record when Robinson missed most of the season, lucked out and drew the #1 pick. That pick ended up a certain Tim Duncan. Boston selected Chauncey Billups who was never good enough to be a top 5 pick and franchise PG. He needs surrounding talent to elevate his game, as seen in Detroit. Boston also had the 6th pick that year and Pitino did a horrible thing - reaching for one of his guys at Kentucky. Mercer was a good player but not worth that lofty of a selection. He should have stayed away from Mercer (sticking to his previous comments PRIOR to his hiring and subsequent draft day, stating he didn't feel Mercer didn't possess the talent to be a high pick) and drafted Tracy McGrady or Tim Thomas. Had they even managed to get the second pick they could have drafted Van Horn, who'd have conjured up talks of Bird reincarnate and would have fit in the team quite well with Walker and a PG/SG.

In an ideal world they would have landed to #1 pick, drafted Duncan then either selected Billups, Daniels or McGrady at #6 (Spurs would have drafted Tim Thomas most likely). Put those guys with Walker and that would have seen Boston immediately make the playoffs. Of course that means Boston wouldn't have been in the lottery the following draft and would have missed out on Paul Pierce, unless a club like Orlando, Houston, Atlanta or Detroit passed on him.

Hindsight is 20/20 and we'll never know.

MrMarcello

BTW, just because you don't see celebrities at Lakers games during barren years does not mean the fans aren't supporting the club. FFS, celebrities are there for one reason - face time on television and papers.