Nba 2007-2008

choiboyx012

Carrick>Hargreaves
LOl - you mean like those always loyal laker fans you're fecking joking! when the lakers fell on hard time their fans fecked them off. take your plastic Hollywood types and get stuffed. your teams from Minnesota for feck sake!

and as far as band wagon jumpers what's that make you? you support UNITED right , since what 1999. the lakers got done by the better team.

and for those calling out the celts for putting up 3's why was LA still fouling with no fecking chance? i'd not only put up 3's but any laker coming in the lane would leave bleeding! if the game was over then the lakers should have let up too. (right about 10 mins into the 3rd qtr).

i never said we didn't have our share of gloryhunters, we definitely do. in fact, those that attend the games make up most of the gloryhunter, prawn-sandwich eating fans since the real fans can't really afford to go to games. so what if our team is from minnesota.. it isn't anymore. what does that have to do with anything. yes i support united, yes i started following them in the late 90s since i grew up in the late 90s.. and i'm still a fan and always will be. first loves never die.

choiboyx012

Carrick>Hargreaves
only since the early 70's so yep hopped right up on it then. hondo and white , cowens and silas etc. then bird , parrish and mchale (thanks for KG).saw worse teams than the one last season as well. the teams with players wearing green but not being celtics in the late 70's. bais dieing before he played a game (after the celts had won the title and had the second pick w/bais, which would have been an awesome team and they wouldn't have missed walton) - then reggie lewis kicking as well. the hopes that pitino would turn it around only to watch him trade it away. to years of watching guys wearing green but not playing celtic basketball. red would love this team.

so tabby you can kiss my arse.
for an old guy, you sound like a school boy

choiboyx012

Carrick>Hargreaves
alex what city are you from? just curious

anyways, i'm still proud of the lakers. good season overall. with some muscle and defense we should be right back in it.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Next season maybe Bynum will be fit and ready to go forward with his career. He will be a huge presence in the post, offensively and defensively. I'd also consider trading Gasol or Odom and get a guy like Josh Howard in there who can score and play solid defense. Or perhaps get Brand depending on salary cap restraints; Brand has an early termination option. Jamison is unrestricted and might take less for a championship run. An intriguing option is Baron Davis, who might take less to come home; he has an early termination option as well.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=2008freeagents

Curious who the Mavs will drop/pick up. Maybe Arenas will opt out and the Mavs need a shooting guard. Then they'll trade Howard.

Kidd-Arenas-Dampier-Nowitzki-new SF (Barea-Terry-Magloire-Bass-Stackhouse) wouldn't be too bad. But that would leave Dallas with not much defense depending on who would fill Howard's role at SF.

VP

Ridiculous argument. You can't even begin to compare 2-0 in football to up 30 points in basketball. You'd have to say United being up 8-0 on Chelsea in a cup final and still taking pop shots on goal form top of the box. Or falling down looking for penalties in the box.

2-0 would be like 80-70 in basketball. That's a reasonable distance to change the result.

Even then I'd want United to score as many goals as possible. It's not even as if the Lakers were a 3rd division team. This is Professional sport. Are you seriously telling me you want United to stop at 8-0, when we could make it 11-0 in a Champions League Final?

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Even then I'd want United to score as many goals as possible. It's not even as if the Lakers were a 3rd division team. This is Professional sport. Are you seriously telling me you want United to stop at 8-0, when we could make it 11-0 in a Champions League Final?
There's no point in embarrassing an opponent in a cup final. I'd imagine you'd feel a bit different if Ballack was flopping around in the box late in a match Chelsea was up 8-0 on United.

mu77

Pitino's chance at resurrecting the franchise hinged on getting the #1 pick in the lottery after Boston finished with the worst record in the league.
Hindsight is 20/20 and we'll never know.
my point is he never let a team settle in. he was always wheeling and dealing. he had that (in)famous press conference when he said "bird , parrish and mchale aren't walking though that door" - yep because you would have traded them. billups did well for himself in motown.

VP

There's no point in embarrassing an opponent in a cup final. I'd imagine you'd feel a bit different if Ballack was flopping around in the box late in a match Chelsea was up 8-0 on United.
If you think there's no point in embarassing opponents, then I don't know what to say. Maybe you shouldn't watch professional sports.

Flopping around the box is cheating and shouldn't happen anyway. Shooting 3 pointers is completly different.

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
It;s now official... Seattle doesn't have a team anymore.

I hate Seattle teams... this pleases me.

Nearco

youth team player
It;s now official... Seattle doesn't have a team anymore.

I hate Seattle teams... this pleases me.

http://buffalobeast.com/129/zirininterview.html
Given that billionaire owners are the beneficiaries of all this needless largesse, why is so much public resentment directed instead at athletes for the salaries they make?

That’s a terrific question. Mainly because they’re the public faces of the teams. Most owners really do stay behind close doors, with the exception of the Mark Cubans and the Jerry Joneses. They tend to try to stay more anonymous. It’s always hilarious—and it’s really only American sport that does this—when they present the trophy, the CEOs come out to take the trophy—

Those rank among the most awkward moments in television…

Definitely! [Like the owners of the 2008 NBA Champion Boston Celtics,] they’re surrounded by Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen, and you’re thinking: Who the hell are these guys? And they’re, like, “We did it!” And the crowd does this sort of collective, “Huh?” That’s a funny thing about US sports: In times of championships, it elevates the owner…It’s kind of like the reverse of British soccer where people know who the owners are and there’re efforts to hold them accountable for even things like if the teams go into debt. But when teams win championships, the players are front and center. It’s the reverse in American sports, where the owners are anonymous until they win the championship and it’s “Look at me! Look at me! Look at me!”

Buffalo Bills owner Ralph Wilson has been hinting at moving the franchise for some time now and the team will play five games in Toronto over the next few seasons. A permanent relocation would be a devastating psychological blow to the already struggling city. Do owners—especially those in the NFL, where profits are virtually guaranteed through revenue sharing—have a responsibility to the communities in which they do business?

Yeah. Absolutely. I’m a big believer that pro sports teams are intellectual property. They’re not just physical property. So, there’s an argument that the Buffalo Bills belong to the city of Buffalo as much or more than they belong to Ralph Wilson…And certainly if the team is taking tax dollars, there is a—not just a moral, or a spiritual or an ethereal, but a material—responsibility that it has to stay there.

That’s what made the recent move of the [NBA’s] Seattle Supersonics to Oklahoma City something that was just such a repellent slap in the face. Because it’s this idea that the city that had housed this team for 41 years somehow had less of a claim on it than these guys, Clay Bennett and Aubrey McClendon—both of whom are to the right of Genghis Khan. They’re corporate raiders and the idea that these guys could show up from Oklahoma City, buy [the team], spend two years harassing and haranguing the [Washington] state legislature—which had just been through two ugly stadium battles—and then just book with the team…all while [NBA commissioner] David Stern doesn’t say a word that’s supportive of the city…is beneath contempt.

What political figure would you compare Stern to?

There’s no political equivalent to David Stern, because nobody’s as powerful as David Stern. This would be like if George W. Bush had 70, 80% approval and majorities in both houses—then, he’d be David Stern.