Nba 2011-2012

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
That's actually a pretty good deal for New Orleans. Odom, Kevin Martin and Scola will all be starters.

But this is very exciting for us Lakers fans, we haven't had a top point guard since Magic Johnson.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
We should have a look at the free agents and pick someone decent to be a backup. Or actually if we don't get Howard, then I wouldn't mind someone like Marc Gasol coming back here. He has improved over the last three seasons.

The top 5 Center/Power Forward free agents that are still available are Nene, Tyson Chandler, Marc Gasol, David West and DeAndre Jordan.

RDCR07

That's actually a pretty good deal for New Orleans. Odom, Kevin Martin and Scola will all be starters.

But this is very exciting for us Lakers fans, we haven't had a top point guard since Magic Johnson.
Odom and Scola are both PF's. I would start Odom over Scola anyday.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
O rly, Marc Gasol is available? That would be a fantastic signing, I really like that guy. That would be a huge loss for Memphis is they don't resign him, they're a team on the rise.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
But how much frontcourt depth do you actually have? Even if you get Howard, you'll probably have to give up Bynum to get him.
We'll resign Mbenga :drool:

Losing our size advantage over the other teams could be an issue early on but by getting Howard & Paul we'd have 3 genuine points scorers who can be relied upon to support Kobe. If we can have somebody big who can get 5 pts/game & is decent defensively (I'm thinking of someone like Perkins) then the front-court shouldn't be too much of an issue.

RDCR07

David West is still a free agent. Signing him would be a good deal because technically we can get both Paul and West and we lose Gasol and Odom. A two for two trade. They are unlikely to resign him with Odom and Scola going there.

Rooney1987

Got this of ESPN - Source close to Tyson Chandler talks just told ESPN.com: "It's 98 percent sure that Tyson is going to wind up with the Knicks."

Great move if it happens. Knicks need a guy like this. Chandler, Amare, Melo is a fantastic 3-5.

RDCR07

Do they still have Billups? Is his contract done? They have a good team as well.

ha_rooney

Would be a big loss for Dallas if Chandler goes.

I'm intrigued to see that since Miami, all the 'big' teams are stocking up on the big players. I was watching ESPN America regarding the CBA agreement and they said it aims to protect the 'smaller' teams by ensuring their big players don't feck off elsewhere. So far, nothing seems to have changed. Personally, I hope we see a contraction to the number of teams.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
looks like the Mavs just might suck this year. :/
Just because they might lose Chandler? Haywood is a high quality back up, plus they have Dirk 'Larry Bird II' Nowitzki playing like a man possessed. I can't see them getting much weaker, Cuban will pay to keep them at the top.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
NBA owners are now pushing Stern to kill the trade. This is going to get interesting.
If that's true then I don't see what the Lakers can do, with the league owning the Hornets. Could get messy. People got upset when they traded away Landry, I believe it was, for nothing to the Kings.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Deal was killed by Stern apparently. Sucks for LAL. I would much rather LAL get their own Big Three as a feck you to Miami. I kind of think Stern wants the Miami bitches to win multiple championships so he can further market the league with Queen James. If he killed this deal there's no way he'd let Paul go to the Knicks either.

Stern kills Lakers' deal for Paul - NBA - Yahoo! Sports

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
I wonder why the owners wanted to kill the trade, exactly. There are rules in place as to what constitutes a 'fair' trade, so if they can be traded then it's within the rules, obviously.

If the other teams are gonna gang up on whoever makes a deal for Paul, then he'll just sit on the Hornets for a season. Hell, that trade was a lot better for New Orleans than the Anthony trade was for the Nuggets. Gasol is world class, unlike anyone Denver got.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Stern is rapidly turning into Sepp Blatter. I want CP3 and Howard! Just think of the alley oops!!

reelworld

I honestly thought that NO actually would get a better deal in the trade. They got a genuine scorer in Martin, good front court players in Odom and Scola. Rockets also got a franchise player that they built their team upon.
For LA, Paul and Kobe both needs the ball in their hand to be effective. Not really sure how they would work together tbh. Also, what makes the Lakers good is that they have 2 7 footer who can play. Unless they got Howard, getting Paul is not going to make Lakers a better team.

Hitchcocker

Stern is a fecking tool. If he thinks NO is going to get anything better than Gasol and Odom for Paul, he is deluded. Seriously, stop having LeBron's dick as your mouthpiece, Stern. Now Paul will leave NO with nothing next season.

ha_rooney

Bastard rejecting the trade :mad:

Paul will end up at an elite team soon and the Hornets will not be able to stop him, stupid move from Stern to listen to owners and prevent this trade. Wonder if Paul will push for the trade to happen now?

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
The question is if Paul becomes a free agent, can teams that are already over the cap limit sign him?

sidsutton

I honestly thought that NO actually would get a better deal in the trade. They got a genuine scorer in Martin, good front court players in Odom and Scola. Rockets also got a franchise player that they built their team upon.
For LA, Paul and Kobe both needs the ball in their hand to be effective. Not really sure how they would work together tbh. Also, what makes the Lakers good is that they have 2 7 footer who can play. Unless they got Howard, getting Paul is not going to make Lakers a better team.
Disagree about the Rockets. Gasol may be more talented than Scola but in terms of productivity they are fairly close and Scola is much cheaper. He's got more herat too and if Gasol didn't want to come to Houston he'd have been sulking and less productive. Also, he's 32 now and although big men usually stay productive longer, by the time the team is rebuilt he'll really be on the slide or retired. I thought Martin, Scola, Dragic and a 1st round pick was too much to give up for Gasol.

Nanderson

I ♥ Neymar
To my understanding, you can but no team bar LA will be able to afford the tax on them.
If a team is over the tax, they can only offer the MLE which is around 5 million per. Paul would obviously not sign for that. You can only go over the cap limit to re-sign players who you have bird rights to, and that's where luxury tax comes into play (although teams can enter luxury tax by using the MLE too).

Just to clarify because some people appear to be confused. Stern could only block this trade because the NBA owns the Hornets. It shouldn't be the case because it's clearly a conflict of interests but that's what allowed him to block it. He could not stop Paul being traded to the Knicks which has been suggested. Although that won't happen anyway because they have nothing to offer.

Also, Hornets were not receiving Odom and Gasol as someone stated. They were getting Odom, Scola, Martin, Dragic and Houston's first round pick. That's not a bad haul at all. I do hate the fact that the stars are turning into little wusses, demaning to be traded to certain teams. It's bullshit and is ruining the NBA, but that said, this deal probably shouldn't have been nixed.

I don't have sympathy for Lakers fans. It would have been a joke if they'd been able to land both Paul and Howard. The Paul deal I can accept, because I actually think it makes them weaker, but a deal for Howard with Bynum as the main piece would almost be as laughable as the deal that got them Gasol from the Grizzlies. Bynum is a good player, but his trade value is extremely overrated. He's very injury prone. Other teams can offer much better deals for Howard.

BTW, apparently all three teams are going to try to fight this decision and get the trade passed. Otherwise there will be a lot of unhappy bunnies at their respective teams.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
If a team is over the tax, they can only offer the MLE which is around 5 million per. Paul would obviously not sign for that. You can only go over the cap limit to re-sign players who you have bird rights to, and that's where luxury tax comes into play (although teams can enter luxury tax by using the MLE too).
That's what I thought. So the Lakers will not be able to sign a star in the off-season. They could only get them through trades, or offload the lot of their squad first.

And I think that's what's preventing Miami from getting a decent center.

Hitchcocker

Nanderson, they weren't getting Gasol but Gasol would be part of the trade for the Rockets' players.

Nanderson

I ♥ Neymar
That's what I thought. So the Lakers will not be able to sign a star in the off-season. They could only get them through trades, or offload the lot of their squad first.

And I think that's what's preventing Miami from getting a decent center.

Yep, correct. Although Heat signed Battier, that's a very good signing for them.

Nanderson, they weren't getting Gasol but Gasol would be part of the trade for the Rockets' players.

I'm aware of that, was just clarifying for people as someone stated that NO wouldn't get more than Gasol and Odom back in a trade. They were never getting that combination in the first place.

ha_rooney

ESPN sources saying Howard will tell the Magic he wants to go to the Nets.

Edit: The 3 teams in the Paul trade have appealed the decision to block the move. I think the trade will happen soon, Stern's made a dick of himself and it's about saving face from this point imo.

Nanderson

I ♥ Neymar
Looks like Brandon Roy is going to retire due to degeneration of his knees. Very sad, that's too early for a great career to end.

Oh, and I've lost a lot of respect for Howard now. NBA players are idiots.

sidsutton

I do hate the fact that the stars are turning into little wusses, demanding to be traded to certain teams. It's bullshit and is ruining the NBA, but that said, this deal probably shouldn't have been nixed.
Couldn't agree more. They might as well contract the league to 6 teams if this continues.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
I'm a big fan of Kobe, but he's turned the corner, imho, from being someone who can lead a team to a trophy as the main guy, to someone who can't.

If Paul goes to LA, he will be the #1 option and the star, on merit of course. This will maybe get Kobe away from his manic need to wait for the triple team and then take the hardest shot possible. It was a fascinating tactic when he was at his best, he could really demoralize a team hitting those shots, but unfortunately he's lost a step and doesn't seem to realize it.

Of course, there's the issue of Kobe refusing to run Phil Jackson's plays most of the time, Phil was just staying around for the extra trophies, he was hardly coaching the team, Kobe was. So if Kobe's gonna continue in that role, and there's no way Mike 'Let LeBron do whatever he wants' Brown will step in and stop him.

If that's the case, Kobe is basically player-coach, so who knows what will happen, I don't know if he has the humility to put someone else down as the #1 option.