Nba 2011-2012

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Disagree about the Rockets. Gasol may be more talented than Scola but in terms of productivity they are fairly close and Scola is much cheaper. He's got more herat too and if Gasol didn't want to come to Houston he'd have been sulking and less productive. Also, he's 32 now and although big men usually stay productive longer, by the time the team is rebuilt he'll really be on the slide or retired. I thought Martin, Scola, Dragic and a 1st round pick was too much to give up for Gasol.
I agree, age is the main issue, Scola is entering his prime, Martin and Dragic as well.

Of course, Gasol 'can' offer elite defense as well, Martin doesn't even pretend to defend, to be honest I don't see him ever winning anything.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
I don't have sympathy for Lakers fans. It would have been a joke if they'd been able to land both Paul and Howard. The Paul deal I can accept, because I actually think it makes them weaker, but a deal for Howard with Bynum as the main piece would almost be as laughable as the deal that got them Gasol from the Grizzlies. Bynum is a good player, but his trade value is extremely overrated. He's very injury prone. Other teams can offer much better deals for Howard.
There is no fairness when it comes to trading top NBA players. The trade for Howard, Paul, Gasol, Melo, these are all being done because the players are guaranteed to be gone the next season. Their teams aren't going to win the title, so there's no point keeping them for that one season, so they try to get assets. But they don't really have the leverage of offering the player, the players is gone, the only leverage is 1 season's worth of contributions.

Of course, that can be offset by the players coming in having short deals too, sometimes they trade for an expiring contract, just to have free agent money the next season, and this is considered an asset. It's madness as far as I'm concerned, but there you go.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
HEAT Alert:

Miami resigns Chalmers after signing Shane Battier and Eddy Curry.

------------------
Roster Update:
C: Eddy Curry, Joel Anthony, Dexter Pittman
PF: Chris Bosh, Udonis Haslem
SF: Lebron James, Shane Battier, Mike Miller
SG: Dwyane Wade, Eddie House
PG: Mario Chalmers

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Anyone know if ESPN UK still has the rights to show the NBA?

Nanderson

I ♥ Neymar
Aren't the Nets tampering here? I'm finding this whole clusterfeck amusing.
Yes they are. I hope the Magic proceed with tampering charges.

PS are you worried about the lack of Thornton news? Would have hoped we'd heard something solid about an offer or some sort of news. Would hate to lose him.

jveezy

Fo' shizzle
Yes they are. I hope the Magic proceed with tampering charges.

PS are you worried about the lack of Thornton news? Would have hoped we'd heard something solid about an offer or some sort of news. Would hate to lose him.
I'm not too worried.

That's a lie, but Geoff Petrie always throws up a bunch of smokescreens. I've heard so many rumors about his deals not pan out and so many deals come out of nowhere that I don't take any speculation (or lack thereof) too seriously (unless it comes from Sam Amick). Naturally Thornton's going to test the market, but since he's a restricted free agent, urgency doesn't really matter. We can match any deal offered, so what dictates whether we will keep him or not is whether other teams try to overpay him.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Word is Thornton has indeed signed for the Kings on a $40m, 5 year deal, not too sure if that's the deal he deserves but he was excellent after the trade.

ArmchairCritic

Sam Amick is claiming the initial report isn't accurate according to one source and another tells him that there's a snag in the deal.
Amick says that a 4 year, $33m deal has been agreed for Thornton.

jveezy

Fo' shizzle
Thornton deal is done now at 4 years $33 million which is an extra 250 K per year than before. Apparently the holdup was a $20 million cap hold on Samuel Dalembert's contract (150% of his $13 million salary from last year).

Edit: Armchair beat me to this groundbreaking Kings news that everyone is dying to hear.

Edit II: This is fairly interesting actually. This means Thornton and Jimmer are free agents at the exact same time. They'll probably end up paying whichever one is better and letting the other one go.

ArmchairCritic

Thornton deal is done now at 4 years $33 million which is an extra 250 K per year than before. Apparently the holdup was a $20 million cap hold on Samuel Dalembert's contract (150% of his $13 million salary from last year).

Edit: Armchair beat me to this groundbreaking Kings news that everyone is dying to hear.

Edit II: This is fairly interesting actually. This means Thornton and Jimmer are free agents at the exact same time. They'll probably end up paying whichever one is better and letting the other one go.
Makes sense. Bass to Boston is a good deal for Boston, it seems like Rip Hamilton, Billups, Baron Davis, Arenas and Vince Carter are all getting amnestied, some good experienced talent available there.

jveezy

Fo' shizzle
Makes sense. Bass to Boston is a good deal for Boston, it seems like Rip Hamilton, Billups, Baron Davis, Arenas and Vince Carter are all getting amnestied, some good experienced talent available there.
I think Hamilton's is a buyout, not an amnesty. He loses a bit of money as a result, but he gets to pick his destination rather than having teams bid on him.

ArmchairCritic

I think Hamilton's is a buyout, not an amnesty. He loses a bit of money as a result, but he gets to pick his destination rather than having teams bid on him.
Yeah I just mashed them all together, I think at least one of those guys will end up on the Heat. Maybe Billups. Hamilton will go to the Bulls I reckon. Not sure about the rest.

Nanderson

I ♥ Neymar

Jveezy, according to Grant Napier the Kings are close to signing a big name (although not an all star). Who do you think it could be? Possibly Barea, Jefferson, Turiaf (not a big name and hope it doesn't happen but wouldn't be surprised)...? Kirilenko would be perfect but I'm not getting my hopes up. He'd be great for us and is just what we need at SF, especially with Dalembert as good as gone.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Gilbert Arenas?

I can see the Kings giving him a chance, they don't have much to lose, as bad as they are. I find his meteoric fall to be quite interesting, he was amazing at one point, how do you lose all that so fast?

Nanderson

I ♥ Neymar
Gilbert Arenas?

I can see the Kings giving him a chance, they don't have much to lose, as bad as they are. I find his meteoric fall to be quite interesting, he was amazing at one point, how do you lose all that so fast?
Not a chance. Our guard rotation is set with Tyreke, Thornton, Garcia and Jimmer. Salmons is also more of a 2 than a 3. Plus, Gilbert is an idiot and he is not what we need in the locker room. He'd be pointless for us. We don't need or want him.

We're not that bad, lots of young talent. Once we get a solid coach we will be good. Not to mention we'll likely get one more good player in the upcoming draft which is very strong, I'd expect us to be pushing for the 8th seed after that barring a major feckup from the front office. Kings are on the rise.

jveezy

Fo' shizzle
Jveezy, according to Grant Napier the Kings are close to signing a big name (although not an all star). Who do you think it could be? Possibly Barea, Jefferson, Turiaf (not a big name and hope it doesn't happen but wouldn't be surprised)...? Kirilenko would be perfect but I'm not getting my hopes up. He'd be great for us and is just what we need at SF, especially with Dalembert as good as gone.
I'd be very happy with Kirilenko.

Gilbert Arenas?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPE because of this:

Not a chance. Our guard rotation is set with Tyreke, Thornton, Garcia and Jimmer. Salmons is also more of a 2 than a 3. Plus, Gilbert is an idiot and he is not what we need in the locker room. He'd be pointless for us. We don't need or want him.

We're not that bad, lots of young talent. Once we get a solid coach we will be good. Not to mention we'll likely get one more good player in the upcoming draft which is very strong, I'd expect us to be pushing for the 8th seed after that barring a major feckup from the front office. Kings are on the rise.
and because he'd get into a fight with Demarcus Cousins within two weeks.

Nanderson

I ♥ Neymar
One thing I DO like about the Chuck Hayes signing is his influence in the locker room. He's very intelligent, knows a lot about the game of basketball, and carries himself professionally. He's someone the young guys can look up to. He also works his ass off and makes the most of what he has. Can only be a good thing, we need a few vets around.

jveezy

Fo' shizzle
One thing I DO like about the Chuck Hayes signing is his influence in the locker room. He's very intelligent, knows a lot about the game of basketball, and carries himself professionally. He's someone the young guys can look up to. He also works his ass off and makes the most of what he has. Can only be a good thing, we need a few vets around.
I imagine Demarcus is going to get a lot better while Hayes is around from having to go up against him in practice regularly. Big men going up against Hayes sometimes find that they're not able to use their size and athletic ability as much as they wish they could and have to rely on other parts of their skillset.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Do you guys know if the new agreement has a minimum for teams to spend? I heard talk of that, as something to force team like the Kings from having such a relatively cheap roster, attempting to force them to compete and not just collect a check for providing the NBA with a team.

I believe the Kings are spending about half the salary cap. Their prerogative, of course, but from the player's perspective it was a way to get their guys better contracts when most issues were moving towards smaller spending.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
and because he'd get into a fight with Demarcus Cousins within two weeks.
I was mostly shit stirring, I still hate the Kings for giving the Lakers such a hard time in the days of the three-peat. That one series that went to 7 games, and OT, in Sacramento was a classic.

Those Kings teams probably won't get the respect they deserve from history.

jveezy

Fo' shizzle
I was mostly shit stirring, I still hate the Kings for giving the Lakers such a hard time in the days of the three-peat. That one series that went to 7 games, and OT, in Sacramento was a classic.

Those Kings teams probably won't get the respect they deserve from history.
Those Kings teams are all we have to hang our hat on. Other teams get their championship banners. We get to dream about what would've happened if Vlade had tipped the ball out of bounds instead of to Robert Horry. And that might be all we ever get if we don't figure out funding for a new entertainment and sports complex by March.

To answer your other question, yes there's a minimum salary. There was one last year and the Kings were barely over. Thornton was making less than a million last year, but Dalembert was making close to $13 million. The Salmons for Beno Udrih trade last year was about even salary-wise if I remember correctly. So Chuck Hayes for $5 million a year and Thornton for $8 million is about even with last year give or take a few million. Add to that Jimmer's salary and they're over the minimum salary threshold.

Actually they're spending enough that they actually had to renounce Dalembert's rights in order to have enough room under the salary cap to sign Hayes and Thornton (due to a 150% cap hold).

Whatever mystery person they're signing will keep them away from the minimum. Also keep in mind they have to resign Evans and Cousins in a few years.

More speculation about this mystery player suggests it's (borrowing from Sactown Royalty now)

1) Not a guard
2) Kings not afraid to spend big money on him
3) A free agent (because the Kings are talking to him) so it's not an amnesty or a trade

Also it's probably not David West since he's close to signing with the Celtics.

Edit: Also he was not an all star last year.

Edit II: Apparently Carmichael Dave (I don't know if anybody outside the Sacramento area knows who he is) dropped a few hints mentioning vodka and claiming his favorite Rocky movie character is Ivan Drago. This might be pointing towards AK47. (I can't believe I'm getting into this level of muppetry)

Neutral

BTV
Gilbert Arenas?

You have 3 knee operations that

- Limit your explosiveness
- Prevent you from creating that little bit of space and separation
- Prevent you from elevating

You go mental, and get dumped by your team, and picked up by another team, where you don't really settle in, get injured, and have a coach that doesn't have faith in you.

See very easy to lose it all very quickly.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
You have 3 knee operations that

- Limit your explosiveness
- Prevent you from creating that little bit of space and separation
- Prevent you from elevating

You go mental, and get dumped by your team, and picked up by another team, where you don't really settle in, get injured, and have a coach that doesn't have faith in you.

See very easy to lose it all very quickly.
Yeah, I guess he must have gotten the short end of the recovery scale, because other players have come back with a lot more success from similar injuries.

Plus, he was always a jump shooter! Sure he could drive, and that helped him make space, but he should still be able to spot up and hit a shot. But I guess that's where the 'going insane' part is hurting him.

So I suppose it's really the mental side that's preventing him from being relevant again. I suppose someone will be tempted to make a gamble, look at all the success an old Ray Allen has had with limited mobility.

As for Chris Paul, he's staying on my 2K Lakers squad till I hear something else.

He's dropped a few more hints. It's Kirilenko. His two newest hints:

1:11 (letters of the alphabet)
The most unforgiveable curse (Harry Potter reference)
AK47 also seems to have mental problems, he was a fantasy basketball superhero, filling every statistical category, made an All-Star game, and then got the big contract and faded, like so many before him.

I have to say I'm not sure the Kings are the right team to whip him into shape, but I always liked his game.

jveezy

Fo' shizzle
AK47 also seems to have mental problems, he was a fantasy basketball superhero, filling every statistical category, made an All-Star game, and then got the big contract and faded, like so many before him.

I have to say I'm not sure the Kings are the right team to whip him into shape, but I always liked his game.
Apparently his agent is shooting down the rumors. I don't know what to make of any of this anymore.

Nanderson

I ♥ Neymar
Kirilenko isn't as prolific as he was, but he still puts up the numbers, is still versatile and a great defender. He's also playing ridiculously well in Europe, although he's now injured.

Carmichael Dave was obviously talking about him, but people aren't taking into account that maybe he was just guessing? He probably doesn't even know himself and is just guessing/hoping.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Can someone explain to me what this means?

Cuban has been trying for years to trade for Paul but said he would have understood the league's decision to deny a trade even if the Mavericks would have agreed to a deal to get Paul.

"I mean, obviously, I wouldn't have been happy, but I would have understood because it was a conversation a lot of owners had long before the Laker deal was consummated," Cuban said. "It was like, 'Look, sure, I'd love him. Give him to me in a heartbeat.' But the whole idea of the lockout was to prevent stuff like that.

"Players will always have the right to choose what they want to do as a free agent, but the players agreed to rules that said, 'You know what? Let's give the home team, the incumbent team an extra advantage.' And that's how the rules were designed. I think they're going to work."
So, how does nixing the trade help New Orleans keep Paul? Surely he doesn't mean that keeping Paul for 1 more year would be a victory, that was always an option.

reelworld

I agree, age is the main issue, Scola is entering his prime, Martin and Dragic as well.

Of course, Gasol 'can' offer elite defense as well, Martin doesn't even pretend to defend, to be honest I don't see him ever winning anything.
I think Gasol can be pretty good for the next 3 years at least. The guy never had any long term injury and is an incredible talent. Maybe not building the team around him this season, probably next season. And with the scarce of quality big men in the league, I'd say they do well to get him.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
The Paul trade has been resubmitted to Stern with some reconfigurements.

Does the Nets tampering with Howard mean they are 'banned' from signing him? They were saying that on PTI but I'm not sure if they were being serious.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
I think Gasol can be pretty good for the next 3 years at least. The guy never had any long term injury and is an incredible talent. Maybe not building the team around him this season, probably next season. And with the scarce of quality big men in the league, I'd say they do well to get him.
I think that's fair. Even top players seem to move around quite a bit, and 3 years with a player is probably well above the average stay. Houston have been on the edge of relevance since they lost Yao Ming, this would be a quality piece to build around. They'll never win anything with Kevin Martin, he belongs on a bad team racking up points in losses.