Nba 2011-2012

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
gooDevil, I'm really not replying to you or anybody with those videos.. I'm just happy, and want to keep these memories together here so it will be easy to watch them (and live these moments) again..

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Seems like LeBron is trying to justify "the decision" again... unless we're to really believe this is an honest admission.

‎"I did it the right way; I didn't short-cut anything," James said. "It's the hardest thing I've ever done."

I don't get that comment. He turned his back on his hometown club and took the short-cut route to join forces with two elite players.

Zen

I did like your response to me with the "finally something good this year happens".............people have WAITED decades for their teams to win was my point....you have been spoilt with endless United wins, Miami title just 6 years ago etc, you shouldn't be going "finally!" as if you're a Cubs or Liverpool fan(for the league) or something. Having one bad year(which isn't bad at all really) is nothing.

The fact that LeBron is saying stuff like "short-cut" himself, says it all really, he wouldn't be saying it if it didn't know it was true. Because it is, he deserves a ring, and was fantastic in the playoffs throughout know that defences(i.e Spurs 07) can't just shut him out and that's it for his team. It's weird though, his haters are nuthuggers are equally as annoying. Wonder if he'll take the title back home to his Nan?

MrMarcello

Speaking of annoying, the sports topics are now, "How many championships/rings/titles LeBron can win?"

Not the Heat/team, but the player. LeBron already knows it is a team game so why the feck sports people can't figure this out is beyond comprehension. Just finding a way to spike ratings I suppose.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
Zen, this year wasn't about the "wait for your team to win something".. This year was very painful. United lose the title in that manner. United playing in the Europa league. Man City winning the title! Chelsea winning the CL! Even Real Madrid that I hate very much decided to choose this year to reclaim the La Liga title.. Everything was going very wrong... At least in the end I now have something that could cheer me up a bit..

Thanks for the vids danny.
You're welcome.. More to come.. :D

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
James' highlights in game 4 vs Indiana (40 pts, 18 rebs, 9 ass), game 6 against Boston (45 pts, 15 rebs, 5 ass), game 5 against OKC (26 pts, 11 rebs, 13 ass).

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
A cracked Miller drains 7 three pointers in the final game against OKC (falls one short of the record).

MrMarcello

What's the point in the endless posting of vids in the thread? Are you about 14 or 15 years of age?

BTW, Mike Miller was unconscious in Game 5. He'll never have a performance like that again in his career, granted he'll likely be injured soon enough.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
Wade bouncing back with a monster game at Indiana (30 pts, 9 rebs, 6 ass, 13/23 FG) after getting a lot of heat in game 3 (scored only 5 points, lowest in his playoff career).

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Egad. That post isn't talking about something as simple as basic human nature. The Next Jordan angle is a single (and relatively small) part of the bigger picture.

We're talking about the NBA's very specific strategy during the immediate post-Jordan era as it relates to the league having a clear-cut plan to put A "Superstar" on Every Team as opposed to the previous situation, where most franchises had to wait until the Big Teams came to town to move tickets. We're talking about money. About owners being told to pour money into their franchises with the supposed promise of nightly marquee matchups to sell at the ticket office. If you were born in '82 you should be able to remember that time period when Hardaway, Carter, McGrady, Hill, Bryant, Stackhouse, Miner, Rider, (you can pretty much go on forever) etc. were all touted at some point or another as the Next Jordan.

Again, just in case, this isn't about foul shot stats, or refs influencing games, or any of the other side-effects that arose because of the rule changes. It's about how the temptation of Big Money shaped the league's attitude towards the rules of the game: 1. give the facilities a "family friendly" facelift, 2. give each franchise a ticket-selling "Star" 3. take certain measures to try and ensure those ticket-sellers were on the court as much as possible.

Read between the lines. It's about a league full of teams who were promised 25-12ers, knowing that they were eventually going to be forced to overpay players, and who thus demanded that the league at least do something to ease that blow.

Not so much anymore. But during that five/six year window from 2000-2005-ish, most definitely yes. The league was on a Jordan-high, being courted left and right by potential sponsors. Sporting goods brands who'd seen the Jordan Effect at work were talking to the league. Wall Street was talking to the league. What they were saying was, "We'd maybe like to help you grow but not if you're only going to have four or five big teams and one or two Jordans to somehow split between ourselves. Come to us with a more ambitious plan and we can talk." The NBA was a lot like the long overlooked little brother (to baseball and Am. football) that suddenly was being approached by all the right people.

Anyhow, bottom line, the weak fouls/isolation aspect of the game is not going away any time soon. No owner wants to overpay his 'franchise' players just to see them get hacked down and out for weeks at a time. At the same time they've backed themselves into a corner regarding salaries by agreeing to the "Star on every team" principle, even though those players might not actually be stars. Teams have run themselves into the red with the above-mentioned promises that never materialized, only to be told "Well you agreed to it at the time."

Bits and pieces of this we all know, but a lot of people don't seem to realize that the fouls/isolation aspect of the game is directly tied to the money situation and no owner wants to change it, largely out of spite. No one wants to see a rule change expose their star player as anything but. Or turn back the clock to a time when you had to wait for Boston/LA/NY/Chicago to come to town to draw a crowd.
Interesting theory, certainly matches what I've seen happen to the game since Jordan retired from the Bulls the 2nd time. I'm glad someone else remembers Harold 'Baby Jordan' Miner, what a waste of excitement he was!

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
gooDevil, I'm really not replying to you or anybody with those videos.. I'm just happy, and want to keep these memories together here so it will be easy to watch them (and live these moments) again..
You might want to consider signing up for a utube account, where you can create a playlist you can access at a click of a button, instead of this thread that will disappear into the memory hole after not too long!

But by all means, post away.

In response to your question, the Lakers were my first team, but I lived in Indiana for a while so I become a Pacer fan as well. I've been a fan of several teams, possibly because I've moved a lot, but I've never attended an NBA game, had I been a season ticket holder somewhere I might have more interest in a single team. I enjoy good basketball, and good point guards, more than following any one team's fortunes.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Did I miss it when Jordan did that? :p
Of course Magic's career was cut short by illness, in his 12 seasons he won 5 titles. By Jordan's 12th season, he had 4 titles. All credit to Jordan for going on to win two more, of course, just trying illustrate how great Magic was.

Jordan has nothing on Bill Russell for titles, doesn't mean he was twice the player Jordan was.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
Oh for God's sake! I didn't interrupt your stupid Lebron jokes. I didn't interrupt your 10 full pages whining about the refs. I didn't interrupt your stupid conspiracy theories (which considering how much you pretend to believe them, you shouldn't even be watching the NBA!). And now you don't want me to post a few highlights from this season?! You know the real highlights! Grow up will ya?!

Simple. Can't handle Lebron winning? Then don't open this thread. The 2011-2012 season is over, and Lebron won. Now it's time to reflect and remember the best moments in this season.. You're free to post highlights of your team as well if you want to.

jveezy

Fo' shizzle
Okay, I should've stopped you when you posted this, but you're getting into spamming territory now. Create a youtube playlist or bookmark them all in your browser if you're looking for a place to store memories. Or create a draft private message with links to all these videos. Create an HTML doc on your desktop with each of these videos embedded. Don't use this place as your personal video portal.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
Okay, I should've stopped you when you posted this, but you're getting into spamming territory now. Create a youtube playlist or bookmark them all in your browser if you're looking for a place to store memories. Or create a draft private message with links to all these videos. Create an HTML doc on your desktop with each of these videos embedded. Don't use this place as your personal video portal.
You got to be kidding me! Spamming?! Did you even bother to watch those clips? You think I'm posting random clips?? Those are some of the greatest performances in the history of the NBA. And it's not only for me to watch, it's the perfect ending for a thread like this, summing up the best moments of the season.. For any neutral basketball fan those clips are much more enjoyable to see than that conspiracy drivel that took about half the thread.. And now a few clips (that other people enjoyed as well) and I'm spamming?!

Obviously, this thread is not for everyone.

EDIT: And by the way, the way you're implying that I'm going to be the only one watching those clips (that I should keep them on my computer) is beyond insulting. You may hate James and the Heat. A few more posters here might hate James and the Heat as well, but I'm pretty sure many others WILL enjoy watching these clips and living these moments again..

jveezy

Fo' shizzle
You got to be kidding me! Spamming?! Did you even bother to watch those clips? You think I'm posting random clips?? Those are some of the greatest performances in the history of the NBA. And it's not only for me to watch, it's the perfect ending for a thread like this, summing up the best moments of the season.. For any neutral basketball fan those clips are much more enjoyable to see than that conspiracy drivel that took about half the thread.. And now a few clips (that other people enjoyed as well) and I'm spamming?!

EDIT: And by the way, the way you're implying that I'm going to be the only one watching those clips (that I should keep them on my computer) is beyond insulting. You may hate James and the Heat. A few more posters here might hate James and the Heat as well, but I'm pretty sure many others WILL enjoy watching these clips and living these moments again..
Flooding I should have said. The way you're implying the suggestions I gave were motivated by any hatred of James and the Heat is beyond insulting to me. I don't even hate them. I didn't bother asking you to stop when you only had a few videos.

Either way Raoul's got the right idea. Thanks for doing that.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever

To be fair, Americans cheat at everything: banking, counting votes, marriage, insider trading, starting wars, why not the NBA?

I used to enjoy Shaq getting the 'star' treatment in LA, he could just plow through anyone and get a foul call, I'd laugh out loud at the poor guy on the other team who did absolutely nothing while being elbowed in the face then called for a foul himself.

Not very amusing when it's not your team though!

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
To be fair, Americans cheat at everything: banking, counting votes, marriage, insider trading, starting wars, why not the NBA?

I used to enjoy Shaq getting the 'star' treatment in LA, he could just plow through anyone and get a foul call, I'd laugh out loud at the poor guy on the other team who did absolutely nothing while being elbowed in the face then called for a foul himself.

Not very amusing when it's not your team though!
To be honest when Shaq was sent to the line it was unclear if the refs were trying to help the Lakers, or the other team called for the foul...

I agree about the bit that the refereeing in the NBA now (whether it's good or bad) is still the same refereeing of 10 years ago, and the same refereeing that made Jordan great in the past two decades. Jordan shot more free throws than Lebron in the playoffs, yet people don't talk about "helping Jordan get his superstar status".. In fact Jordan used to take pride in tricking the refs into calling fouls for him, or committing a foul without letting them notice it..

But I don't think we should be talking about the refs now, because I don't think you can say Miami didn't deserve to win it this year.. Miami showed up big time in the playoffs, despite losing an important member of their big three, and they came up big in the big moments. There were simply better than everybody else.

Don't forget to put an asterisk next to this championship, Danny, for a strike shortened season. :D
:lol: At least this one is true..

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Miami is a very good basketball team, I wouldn't think to argue at all. Their defense can be absolutely stifling, when I was watching Jeremy Lin's run for the Knicks they were destroyed defensively by Miami, most times they couldn't even get the ball past the 3 point line.

People definitely complained about Jordan being 'protected' back in the day, and that's another one I didn't care about because I was a huge Jordan fan, and I suppose a Bulls fan at that time. You could watch the Bulls on WGN, unlike the Lakers who were rarely on tv. But I'm sure Jazz fans still think they should have won a title if they'd gotten their share of calls.

I think it's safe to say LeBron is the most arrogant basketball player in modern times, I can't imagine another player holding a celebration in the stadium after simply signing for a team. I read an article by Walter Iooss about shooting some pics of LeBron, this is a famous photographer whose shot everyone, and he wasn't even allowed to talk to LeBron, he had to relay what he wanted LeBron to do to one of LeBron's guys, who would turn to LeBron and then tell him what the photographer asked. Iooss said the size of the entourage was twice the size of anything he'd seen before from all the athletes he's worked with and made Jordan seem humble by comparison.

And of course that whole 'decision' non-sense. But then he made a few of his friends his agents, that's the kind of thing teenagers who aren't trained would come up with.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
I think everybody including James knows now that the decision, the celebration, the "not one, not two, not three..." were all poor decisions, and he learned his lesson the hard way last season.

However signing for Miami wasn't "a sin" IMO. Everybody should be allowed to sign for the team he wants when he's a free agent, why can't Lebron?

Also, there has been quite a change in attitude this year. James apologized for the decision many times. James, Wade, Bosh all conceded that they were wrong to think it will be easy. And they even denied any more guarantees about what could happen next season, while still aiming to try and win more trophies in the coming seasons.. They definitely changed. And Lebron has matured a lot this year.. He even made a few statements VERY few superstars will have the guts to fight their ego and say.. Besides, he is one of the most unselfish superstars I have ever seen on court.

I don't think Jordan or Bryant are humble enough to come out and say the kind of things James said this season, or play the way Lebron played this season to win a championship.

Of course this is MY opinion.

MJJ

This basically. I dont watch a lot of NBA so appreciate the vids that danny is posting. specially the top 10 play ones.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
Top 10 plays: Heat against NY, Indiana, Boston (Playoffs/Eastern Conference)..

(Obviously there are many great plays along the season, but I will only post well compiled clips with really good plays.)

jveezy

Fo' shizzle
:lol: At least this one is true..
The asterisk for a shortened season never makes sense for me in the NBA. The only possible argument is injuries from the condensed schedule, but every team is subject to the same condensed schedule, so I don't buy that. The playoffs are just as long no matter how long the regular season is. With an 82 game season, they would've done the same thing in the playoffs.

I don't think Jordan or Bryant are humble enough to come out and say the kind of things James said this season, or play the way Lebron played this season to win a championship.
Jordan would've just convinced himself that the world was out to get him just so he could have a reason to win. I'm sure Lebron was motivated somewhat by a desire to prove people wrong, but I don't think anyone compares to Jordan when it comes to boxing yourself into a corner of bitter hate.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
I think people just use the idea of an asterisk in the 'record books' to denote that the season was irregular to needle a winning team. But you can say that the Heat did not go through as extensive a test of their endurance and longevity during a season as past champions. Think back to that Pistons team under Saunders that jumped out to a fantastic record only to crumble under the length of the season and run out of steam by the end. Those Pistons may well have won the title if they'd started the playoffs after 60 games instead of 80.

MrMarcello

Draft is fast approaching granted outside about 3-4 names I do not recognize/know the draft class. I recall days when players were be taken late first round and even the second round and telling my friends, "Yeah, I recall when he lit up (insert school) in the tournament. He's got a great shot at a long career." But back then guys didn't go straight from high school to pros or spend a year in college, so you had time to acquaint collegiate names and see them grow into future pros.

Anyhow, good article on European talents courtesy of Grantland. Check it out.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id...ising-dearth-foreign-prospects-2012-nba-draft

"When the breakup of the Soviet Union happened, we told Arvydas that if he cared anything about the future of basketball in his country, he would go back and feck every chick he could possibly find. And he better not use the blanks — he better use the 7-foot-4 cartridges. Then in 2010, Lithuania would have all this talent. Obviously, he didn't listen, because I don't see any 7-foot-4 kids out there." (Donnie Nelson speaking to Arvydas Sabonis)

He certainly doesn't want to be back in Europe. Unlike many internationals who stay overseas after being drafted, Fournier can't wait to move. While sitting in his hotel, he says of Dallas, "It reminds me of Paris," becoming almost certainly the first person to ever make that comparison. He reflects on what he's most looking forward to about the NBA: the competition, the facilities, and the fact that he'll never get called for traveling. (draft prospect Evan Fournier)

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
It's supposed to be a deep draft class, Sullinger was looking at maybe being taken #1 last year and he's predicted to have slipped as far as #19 because of back injury concerns.

A point guard named Damian Lillard out of Weber State has come out of nowhere to being picked as high as #6 in mock drafts.

There are quality players looking to slip into the late first round that would normally go much higher, the teams that pick up Marquis Teague, Draymond Green, Kendall Marshall and Terrence Jones in the late first round will be very pleased. Of course the Lakers have no first round draft pick, owning it from the Sessions trade.

It's always fun to see a minute's worth of a player in clips when he's drafted and make up your mind right then if you like them or not, and you always see someone that catches your eye, I remember seeing Jason Kidd for the first time from draft night clips, it was hard not to conclude he was going to be a star after watching the best of his circus passes and layups from Cal.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Lakers apparently only have 1 pick in the draft - number 60! Celtics are apparently trying to move up and get Doc's son, that would be interesting.

Odom looks like he is going to the Clippers, I think that would be a very good addition for them. I'm hoping LAL can make a move for D.Williams but I don't see him playing anywhere but Dallas.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
I think Jordan got this one right by taking Mike Kidd, he looks like he has all the assets to become the sort of slashing wing player the league is designed for these days.

Really surprised to see Perry Jones drop to the Thunder, too bad the Pacers didn't take him, they found another 7 foot white guy to waste their pick on! A going away present from Larry Bird, I suspect.

Draymond Green still available, surprised none of the winning teams wanted him as a bench scorer.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
The Pacers picked a 7 ft white guy with a 41 in vertical(highest in the draft, no one else over 6' 7 has ever jumped that high since they started tracking it), who was the quickest big guy at the camp. He also doesn't have the health issues of Perry Jones III. Miles will be a solid role player because he's an athletic monster.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
The Pacers picked a 7 ft white guy with a 41 in vertical(highest in the draft, no one else over 6' 7 has ever jumped that high since they started tracking it), who was the quickest big guy at the camp. He also doesn't have the health issues of Perry Jones III. Miles will be a solid role player because he's an athletic monster.
You may well be right, but my skepticism is earned from watching the Pacers draft waaaaay too many huge centers that turned out to be as useful as a fart in a space suit. It's hard to argue with speed and height, but this is a guy who averaged 6.6 pts and 7.1 rebounds as a senior, I could find you 50 guys with those stats who are seniors, much less among younger centers. He did shoot a very impressive 60% last season, but only took 4.3 shots a game. His .5 assists, .5 steals and .9 blocks per game make him seem rather one dimensional and hardly suggests a dangerous defender. With such a deep draft and so many exciting players still left, I thought they'd get more than what looks to be a physical rebounder who will scrape some bench minutes.

I also hate Duke, so there's that. To be fair most of the exciting players were already taken.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Good: Throbinson
Bad: Trading away an early second round pick for cash when the team is already at the salary floor and needs all the help it can get.
You guys should be thrilled to get Thomas Robinson, he should make a great pairing with Cousins. Trading away the 2nd round pick was a bit odd, surely there was a defender in there you could have used.

Tyler Zeller was a great pick up at 17 for Cleveland, who need size desperately. He's a refined senior who should be able to come in and put up decent numbers.

Boston should be thrilled to get two bigs in Fab Melo [7'0 255 lbs] and Jared Sullinger [6'9 265 lbs], the former is an intimidating defender and the latter a natural scorer and rebounder, they could both well end up being long term starters for the Celtics.

Tony Wroten sounds like an exciting player, I always love a pure passer who sees the court, anyone who gets compared to Rondo should be respected. Conley has done well as a PG for Memphis but he's not idea, I can see Wroten taking that job in a few years.

Marquis Teague is a great pick up for Chicago late in the first, as they'll need a natural point guard as Rose will miss at least half the season.

OKC will be thrilled that Perry Jones III fell to them, that may well mean they don't need to worry about keeping Ibaka.

Golden State won the Draymond Green sweepstakes, one pick before the Pacers went in the 2nd round, with his defense he may see lots of time there, but then there are a bunch of SFs at Golden State. They picked Barnes as a SF as their first pick, they have Dorell Wright who lots of people like, old man Richard Jefferson and last year's top pick Klay Thompson who plays the 2 and the 3. He may get more time as an undersized 4, he could well start there next to David Lee to begin the season next, and move to Lee's backup at the 4 once Bogut comes back at center.