NBA 2017-2018

ZDwyr

The entire game moving toward three pointers should be accredited to Kerr, same as how keeping the ball forever is accredited to Pep (he wasn't the first coach ever to play possession football). The way they did it, and the domination they did, actually forced the other coaches to implement similar ideas.

Green wasn't even a starter when Kerr joined Dubs, Steph was having injury problems, Klay was still a young player who hadn't done much, and Dubs offense wasn't clicking.
Why Kerr and not D'Antoni?

freeurmind

weak willed
Kerr losing in the finals to a team coached by Ty Lue taints him for me. Spo lost to Pop and Carlisle in the finals and consistently has a bad Heat roster competitive. Kerr is an offensive genius but I've never seen his Warriors perform above expectations in a series. He has so much talent though, we'll probably never be able to adequately compare him to a Spoelstra or Carlisle. Pop is leagues ahead of all of them though.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Why Kerr and not D'Antoni?
Small ball as I mentioned earlier probably owes much of its existence to Don Nelson. The three point approach that is used in coaching owes a lot to Mike D'Antoni's "7 seconds or less" strategy. The 3 point revolution however IMLTHO, belongs almost entirely to one player and that is Stephen Curry.

Last edited:

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Kerr losing in the finals to a team coached by Ty Lue taints him for me. Spo lost to Pop and Carlisle in the finals and consistently has a bad Heat roster competitive. Kerr is an offensive genius but I've never seen his Warriors perform above expectations in a series. He has so much talent though, we'll probably never be able to adequately compare him to a Spoelstra or Carlisle. Pop is leagues ahead of all of them though.
First bold: That's not entirely fair; a certain Mr. Vanderweghe, a wet spot in Houston and a dumbass named Draymond have much more to do with that loss than either Kerr or Lue.
Second bold: Also not fair; when Kerr took over the Dubs their players numbered 4 all star appearances total and 2 of those were for David Lee who was injured half that first season. In 2014-15 he had a decent to good team which he turned into a juggernaut. The rest is history.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Wait but Spoelstra hasnt exactly proven to be a contender either. Stevens actually has by making the semis of the playoffs last year.
Spo has already won 2 rings as head coach...

Giving Stevens credit for leading Celtics last year playoff run is too much considering they were a healthy Rondo away from being kicked out in the first round in an utterly shit Eastern conference. Let's see how he does this year when there's actual competition in the East other than just the Cavs.

Last edited:

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Yep, his achievements have turned everyone in the league towards that style of play, pretty much the face of small ball.
He's not performing tonight though. Another sucky performance from the Dubs. Where's coach Andre and coach Draymond when you need them? :(

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
This is why Kerr allowed the players to coach against the Suns. This team has been coasting for a while now. He was just trying to get the players engaged again.

Last edited:

ZDwyr

Small ball as I mentioned earlier probably owes much of its existence to Don Nelson. The three point approach that is used in coaching owes a lot to Mike D'Antoni's "7 seconds or less" strategy. The 3 point revolution however IMLTHO, belongs almost entirely to one player and that is Stephen Curry.
I think D'Antoni should get the credit for starting the three point revolution. As you said, I think Curry and Kerr definitely took it to another level.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
This is why Kerr allowed the players to coach against the Suns. This team has been coasting for a while now. He was just trying to get the players engaged again.
I don't think it worked. :( Unless only KD was listening.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
As I said yesterday Nick Young has been absolutely rubbish . He can't make open 3's in tight games

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
We beat some bad team last night but it's not a good measure of how well we will do in the playoffs.

:cool:

Jazz got 11th in a row now and 76ers came back from 300 points down to beat Miami and go 30-25. What a wonderful night.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Spo has already won 2 rings as head coach...

Giving Stevens credit for leading Celtics last year playoff run is too much considering they were a healthy Rondo away from being kicked out in the first round in an utterly shit Eastern conference. Let's see how he does this year when there's actual competition in the East other than just the Cavs.
He won that with Lebron, Wade and Bosh. I meant after that.

Sarni

He won that with Lebron, Wade and Bosh. I meant after that.
Well he was never going to win championship with Dragic as his best player. Getting to the playoffs, which they might do this season, would be a big enough achievement.

RDCR07

Well he was never going to win championship with Dragic as his best player. Getting to the playoffs, which they might do this season, would be a big enough achievement.

Even straight after LeBron left they were still doing very well with ageing Wade and ill Bosh (who only managed 44 and 53 games in his two seasons after James left).
Thats my point. He wouldnt have won if it wasnt for Lebron. But elmo suggested, Stevens and Kerr are a level below Spoelstra and Pop.

Sarni

Elfrid Payton got a triple double last night. He won't be great but I bet he will be considerably better than any point guard at Orlando for the next five years, unless they somehow luck their way into Trae Young.

Orlando are such an awfully run franchise. Oladipo and Harris were disastrous trades, now it looks like Payton and Hezonja could easily join the list. What was the benefit of not taking Hezonja's team option?

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Fastest triple double in NBA history, less than 15' needed. Previous record stood since 1955, crazy stat.

ZDwyr

Arbitrary.

But that is a seriously impressive effort. Westbrook has gotten close so many times. I never thought it'd be broken, let alone by a big.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Thats my point. He wouldnt have won if it wasnt for Lebron. But elmo suggested, Stevens and Kerr are a level below Spoelstra and Pop.
By your logic, Kerr would have won feck all if it wasn't for Curry, so how would you have him over Spo?

Spo managed to keep the biggest egomaniac in the league in check while handling two other all stars and getting them to buy into his system he wanted them to play. That is why I've Spo up there as one of the best few coaches in the league. He won when he was expected to and overachieved with his current squad.

RDCR07

By your logic, Kerr would have won feck all if it wasn't for Curry, so how would you have him over Spo?

Spo managed to keep the biggest egomaniac in the league in check while handling two other all stars and getting them to buy into his system he wanted them to play. That is why I've Spo up there as one of the best few coaches in the league. He won when he was expected to and overachieved with his current squad.
Firstly I never said Kerr is better than Spoelstra. In my opinion Tier 1 is Pop and Tier 2 consists of Erik, Kerr, Stevens and Tier 3 is Carlisle, Synder, Casey, Doc and D'Antoni.

Last edited:

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Pop
----
Carlisle, Kerr, Stevens, Spoelstra
----
Budenholzer, Casey, D'Antoni, Snyder, (+ maybe Van Gundy and Scott Brooks)

Doc certainly the most overrated (and overpaid).

Revan

Assumptionman
I see no reason to put Stevens in the same level as Kerr, Spoelstra and even Carlisle. Potentially a great coach, but I wouldn't put him in the same level as coaches with multiple rings.

The only consensus seem to be that Pop is by far the best coach in the league. To be fair, he is in discussion for the greatest ever too.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
I think that is a true statement but Mark Jackson had Curry and the Dubs weren't exactly world beaters. The point is that Kerr recognized the talent he had and was able to use it to its' best ability. That's what great coaches do. When Kerr took over the Warriors Curry had one all star appearance, Klay was a young catch and shoot merchant and Draymond was an asshole with a chip on his shoulder (some things don't change) who nobody had ever heard of. His most decorated player David Lee (2 all star appearances) got hurt in preseason so was out for 2-3 months. You can say what you like about him having a bunch of superstars now but in the beginning it just wasn't like that. No knock on Spoelstra but James wasn't exactly a hidden gem when he went to Miami. Spoelstra coached him to a Championship and from what is out there took no shit from him either when James tried to put his ten cents in. For that he deserves credit and respect and so I have him up there too.

For me:

Tier 1 Pop.

Tier 1.5 Steve Kerr.

Tier 2 Spoelstra, Carlisle, Stevens.

Last edited:

Sarni

Lakers are going to trade Lonzo Ball this off-season, aren't they? No way is LeBron joining a team that has LaVar Ball talking shit about them all the time. I'm not even sure Paul George would fancy this, let alone Bron.

IMO they will use Ball to find buyer for Deng.

ZDwyr

Pop
----
Carlisle, Kerr, Stevens, Spoelstra
----
Budenholzer, Casey, D'Antoni, Snyder, (+ maybe Van Gundy and Scott Brooks)

Doc certainly the most overrated (and overpaid).
You must know another Scott Brooks.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Lakers are going to trade Lonzo Ball this off-season, aren't they? No way is LeBron joining a team that has LaVar Ball talking shit about them all the time. I'm not even sure Paul George would fancy this, let alone Bron.

I don't think James joins at all to be honest.

Be a real shame if Lavar is the reason Lonzo does leave the Lakers as well.

RDCR07

If Bron joins they automatically become a playoff team. They wont be this shit. I really dont think they are going to trade Ball who is the future for Lebron who has only a couple of years left.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
LeBron won't join the Lakers. He won't go West. He has a cakewalk to the finals in the East. No way he's leaving to go have to battle Golden State, Houston and San Antonio just to reach the finals. Even middling teams like Minnesota would be the #1 seed in the East. The Western Conference is just too stacked and for a guy who's all about his legacy I can't see him doing that.

I don't know what the cap situation is but if he was leaving Cleveland he could do worse than Philly.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
The Warriors are 52-4 when Kerr is out. Just sayin.

There's almost no chance LeBron is joining Philly, in my opinion. He doesn't fit their timeline, he doesn't fit the "process", he doesn't fit with Simmons. They're one Embiid injury away from being completely useless. And I just can't imagine him in Philly. It's just wrong.

Last edited:

Sarni

There's almost no chance LeBron is joining Philly, in my opinion. He doesn't fit their timeline, he doesn't fit the "process", he doesn't fit with Simmons. They're one Embiid injury away from being completely useless. And I just can't imagine him in Philly. It's just wrong.
Well if LeBron joined and Fultz recovered they wouldn't really be an Embiid injury away from being useless. Don't forget they will also get a pretty high pick in the next draft - that could be Trae Young with the way he has slipped in the last few weeks and he would compliment that team very well too.

I also think Embiid has his injury issues behind him now. His health has been great this season.

I think 76ers future is extremely bright. James is also a huge fan of Simmons, I wouldn't be shocked if he felt he could nurture him.

You know who is a better fit for 76ers now though? Paul George. He would be perfect there.

Sarni

If Bron joins they automatically become a playoff team. They wont be this shit. I really dont think they are going to trade Ball who is the future for Lebron who has only a couple of years left.
Ball will never ever get even close to the level of James. LeBron will be the better player for the next 5 years minimum, with the way he has cared about his body.

If LeBron tells you he will join but won't put up with the shit LaVar is causing, this is a complete no brainer for Lakers front office. Also, if you can get rid of Deng and LaVar at the same time, it is tempting for LA too.

RDCR07

Ball will never ever get even close to the level of James. LeBron will be the better player for the next 5 years minimum, with the way he has cared about his body.

If LeBron tells you he will join but won't put up with the shit LaVar is causing, this is a complete no brainer for Lakers front office. Also, if you can get rid of Deng and LaVar at the same time, it is tempting for LA too.
Not sure how much he will accomplish without any help. They will be a playoff team with him but they wont even come to making the finals without more help.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Isn't that your goal in any job though, to make an operation so good you could just walk away, essentially work yourself out of a job?

He's got them to the point now where it's almost like they could coach themselves................

Sarni

Not sure how much he will accomplish without any help. They will be a playoff team with him but they wont even come to making the finals without more help.
LeBron and George together is a good core. Ingram is a very good talent too so you basically get 2, 3 and 4 sorted. Question mark is at 1 and 5 but they could find a way to sort it out.

RDCR07

LeBron and George together is a good core. Ingram is a very good talent too so you basically get 2, 3 and 4 sorted. Question mark is at 1 and 5 but they could find a way to sort it out.
You do know they all play the 3 right? Maybe you shift Lebron to the 4 and PG a 3 but Ingram has to be an option of the bench. Dont know whats going to happen with IT. I want them to test him out at the 2 but on defense he can guard the PG and Ball can cover the SG. It also doesnt help they are on the West. Its a ridiculous conference at the moment.

ZDwyr

You know who is a better fit for 76ers now though? Paul George. He would be perfect there.
He would be a great fit for any team. He has such a complementary style. I agree he'd be great for Philly especially though.

Sarni

You do know they all play the 3 right? Maybe you shift Lebron to the 4 and PG a 3 but Ingram has to be an option of the bench. Dont know whats going to happen with IT. I want them to test him out at the 2 but on defense he can guard the PG and Ball can cover the SG. It also doesnt help they are on the West. Its a ridiculous conference at the moment.
George can comfortably play at 2, zero problem about that. He's got the defensive ability to pull it off comfortably and he used to play there for Indiana. 2 and 3 are so similar in the NBA nowadays that it is hardly ever a problem to switch players between those positions, even mid-tier players like Bradley and Fournier have done that.

Same with LeBron at the 4, he can guard all positions easily. I think Walton, similar to Stevens, is a fan of positionless basketball so it makes it even less of a problem.

IT will leave after the Summer anyway I think. I wonder what kind of contract can he can expect to receive. Before season started he looked nailed on to get a max deal which would have been $200M over 5 years, right now he would be lucky to get $50M for 3 years.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
IT and Ball could make a case for the worst backcourt on defense in the league. I'd like to see that.