NBA 2017-2018

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Well he's been in the league for 3 years and is going to be paid $30M per season so he better be.
Not necessarily. Mozgov has been in the league 10 years and is being paid $64m. He is worst C I have ever seen play the sport of basketball. Like absolutely-fecking-useless.

But in regards to Wiggins vs Ingram, the former just has more in his locker than Ingram has. Even if two years time, Ingram's game wont be as good as Wiggins' right now.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Not necessarily. Mozgov has been in the league 10 years and is being paid $64m. He is worst C I have ever seen play the sport of basketball. Like absolutely-fecking-useless.

But in regards to Wiggins vs Ingram, the former just has more in his locker than Ingram has. Even if two years time, Ingram's game wont be as good as Wiggins' right now.
Yeah I just meant in the sense that it's not strange that Wiggins is much better at this point. To be honest I feel in the end Wiggins will be considered an underwhelming player for his potential albeit still a good one.

JoaquinJoaquin

Don't think either will end up multiple all stars. Wiggins may scrape in to 1 or 2 max if he reaches his potential. Ingram won't.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Wiggins looks like he will be someone like Rudy Gay can score points but, not contribute much anywhere else. But, would still take him over Ingram because so far nothing about Ingram's game excites me.

ArseHat

Yeah Pop is the key to it all.

I think they'll be a better regular season team than playoff team. That has seemed to be the trend the previous few seasons with them.
Obviously Pop is key, but credit should also go to RC Buford, their GM. The best in the business along with Myers.

ArseHat

Celtics vs Bucks playing at the Mecca, the Bucks’ first home arena which will have a capacity of around 12700 for the game. Hasn’t been used for the NBA since 1988. Also has the notable eclectic flooring. Pretty neat.

ZDwyr

@Sarni random question, but, do you listen to the Dunc'd On podcast? I get the sense from your posts that it'd be very much up your alley if you don't.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
I like the Clippers and Blake this year.

Last edited:

Sarni

@Sarni random question, but, do you listen to the Dunc'd On podcast? I get the sense from your posts that it'd be very much up your alley if you don't.
Nope, I only listen to The Ringer Show (all the time) and Bill Simmons occasionally. From what I see it's not on Spotify, where can I find it?

ZDwyr

Nope, I only listen to The Ringer Show (all the time) and Bill Simmons occasionally. From what I see it's not on Spotify, where can I find it?
I get it from Itunes but I imagine it's on most podcast platforms. They're just salary cap nerds essentially so it can get quite dry at times. Particularly when it comes to Free Agency and trading. I don't really have a mathematical kind of mind so I struggle to always keep up but it is fascinating stuff IMO. But their knowledge of the game is also excellent and you get some pretty detailed analysis. Seems to be either people love them or aren't fans though; no middle ground.

Unlucky about your Blazers! Clippers have started well though.

Sarni

I get it from Itunes but I imagine it's on most podcast platforms. They're just salary cap nerds essentially so it can get quite dry at times. Particularly when it comes to Free Agency and trading. I don't really have a mathematical kind of mind so I struggle to always keep up but it is fascinating stuff IMO. But their knowledge of the game is also excellent and you get some pretty detailed analysis. Seems to be either people love them or aren't fans though; no middle ground.

Unlucky about your Blazers! Clippers have started well though.
Well we played terribly for most of the game and still came a CJ free throw away from winning it (how did he manage to miss a free throw, it's CJ, he doesn't miss free throws) so I am not completely down about it. The two losses so far were very hard, we were also up in Milwaukee before they stole it in the last minute, and it wasn't a very good performance from Blazers either. When the team clicks and starts playing to their potential we could be looking at 46-50 wins which would be spectacular IMO.

JoaquinJoaquin

I like The Ringer NBA Show but I find Chris Vernon's voice very annoying.

Neutral

BTV
Keep in mind that Simmons has had 1 year worth of NBA training already. Deciding who's career will be better at this point is a crapshoot IMO.
Umm...replying after a week lol

I don't think Lonzo will be a bust, I think he'll have a good career....and you make a valid point about nba training, conditioning and even being around nba coaching will improve a player manifold. Lonzo hasn't had any of that - so, it is unfair to judge him. But minus an injury, Simmons is going to be incredible. a 6'10" PG - and because of his lateral quickness, it's a position he can play against anyone...is era defining.

He's already finding ways to score - will he ever develop a proper jumpshot, at least a midrange shot? Who knows...he might not.

FWIW I think 5 years down the line, the Lakers will be very happy with the pick they made.

Putting that aside...Sixers and Fultz :lol: They're destroying the kid even more he starts his career...

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
This one got away from us, blew a 17-point lead in a couple of minutes just before HT and had too many TOs in the final quarter. There are things to be excited about but still a long way to go unfortunately.

Sarni

This one got away from us, blew a 17-point lead in a couple of minutes just before HT and had too many TOs in the final quarter. There are things to be excited about but still a long way to go unfortunately.
I really thought you had it when Toronto were 16 down and playing like crap but their superior experience showed in the end. It's the second time this season when a team starts running away from Lakers in the final quarter and they start to panic, like against Pelicans (although that game also involved a great comeback). You can tell this is a young team still finding their way but also short of quality IMO.

Sarni

Umm...replying after a week lol

I don't think Lonzo will be a bust, I think he'll have a good career....and you make a valid point about nba training, conditioning and even being around nba coaching will improve a player manifold. Lonzo hasn't had any of that - so, it is unfair to judge him. But minus an injury, Simmons is going to be incredible. a 6'10" PG - and because of his lateral quickness, it's a position he can play against anyone...is era defining.

He's already finding ways to score - will he ever develop a proper jumpshot, at least a midrange shot? Who knows...he might not.

FWIW I think 5 years down the line, the Lakers will be very happy with the pick they made.

Putting that aside...Sixers and Fultz :lol: They're destroying the kid even more he starts his career...
How are Sixers destroying him? If anything it's them who should be mad with him for changing his shot mechanics during the Summer and not even consulting that with anyone (not sure if it's true but if it is, it's shocking).

Unless they are making him play through injury which given their history I don't really believe, they are not to blame here.

Neutral

BTV
How are Sixers destroying him? If anything it's them who should be mad with him for changing his shot mechanics during the Summer and not even consulting that with anyone (not sure if it's true but if it is, it's shocking).

Unless they are making him play through injury which given their history I don't really believe, they are not to blame here.
They have a history of sitting players...so, why the hell weren't they on top of Fultz and his injury.

And then...allowing him to get out there and play??

They should have shut him down before the season even started.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
So, Celtics have been granted a disabled player exception. If my understanding of what that is is correct, they'll have 8.5 mil and a roster spot to sign a player for one year? Are there any good options out there? The FA pool seems unimpressive right now.

Sarni

So, Celtics have been granted a disabled player exception. If my understanding of what that is is correct, they'll have 8.5 mil and a roster spot to sign a player for one year? Are there any good options out there? The FA pool seems unimpressive right now.
Can't they use it like a trade exception is used i.e. get someone from another team too as long as they agree to a trade, and exceed cap? Doesn't have to be a free agent but they need to be in final year.

I think Noel, Len and Okafor are good targets.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Can't they use it like a trade exception is used i.e. get someone from another team too as long as they agree to a trade, and exceed cap? Doesn't have to be a free agent but they need to be in final year.

I think Noel, Len and Okafor are good targets.
They can, it seems.

This Noel vs. Okafor thing continues.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Cavs perimeter defense is absolutely pathetic right now and it obviously will not get better when Rose and IT are healthy.

ZDwyr

The Bulls are so very bad. I mean I expected it, but to actually see them play was just a huge reminder.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
I'm genuinely surprised they've won a game from their first 5.

I guess Atlanta are also awful.

Sarni

Cavs perimeter defense is absolutely pathetic right now and it obviously will not get better when Rose and IT are healthy.
They are a mess. I think they were underestimating how much Kyrie meant to them.

Sarni

Kyrie would not fix any of their issues right now.
He would at least make them better offensively, which they are not good at currently either. Also, the return they got for Kyrie was the wrong type.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
He would at least make them better offensively, which they are not good at currently either. Also, the return they got for Kyrie was the wrong type.
Isaiah Thomas will replace a lot of Kyrie's scoring once he is healthy. But, they will still be atrocious defensively.

Sarni

Isaiah Thomas will replace a lot of Kyrie's scoring once he is healthy. But, they will still be atrocious defensively.
I think IT's health problems are more serious than everyone thought and they will only have him for a year anyway. That team will have to go through serious rebuilding very soon. They would have been better off keeping Kyrie as the building block after LeBron leaves but they obviously didn't have a choice.

Jagga7

Wow the Cavs look fecking terrible. They're trailing to the Knicks at half time now. I know it's only October but is Thomas coming back really going to make that much of a difference?

I wonder if they would consider trading Lebron later in the year as he definitely isn't going to stay with this mess of the team next year.

Sarni

Wow the Cavs look fecking terrible. They're trailing to the Knicks at half time now. I know it's only October but is Thomas coming back really going to make that much of a difference?

I wonder if they would consider trading Lebron later in the year as he definitely isn't going to stay with this mess of the team next year.
They are always below par during regular season and turn it on for the playoffs but this is taking it to a whole new level. It usually meant losing 10 or so unexpected games with the full team available, losing 10 or so when the big three sit and losing 10 or so to strong teams. This season they lost to Knicks, Magic and Nets during the first month and with the first two they basically got annihilated by them. They struggled to beat awful Bulls at home and were absolutely crushed by Pelicans too. They've actually had one respectable game all season long, at Milwaukee.

Warriors look fragile too. Lost three games already, this time against Pistons, and were on the brink of losing against Wizards. Still, with them I am confident they will get back there when it clicks again and they focus. Not so sure about Cavs.

Moby

Dick
Warriors look fragile too. Lost three games already, this time against Pistons, and were on the brink of losing against Wizards. Still, with them I am confident they will get back there when it clicks again and they focus. Not so sure about Cavs.
They just need to put better effort in defense which has been pretty poor this season compared to last season when they were among the best teams defensively.

Sarni

They just need to put better effort in defense which has been pretty poor this season compared to last season when they were among the best teams defensively.
Yeah complacency. It will get better. In Cavs case I am not sure the room for improvement is as big, though certainly they will play much better too.

Moby

Dick
Yeah complacency. It will get better. In Cavs case I am not sure the room for improvement is as big, though certainly they will play much better too.
They'll be a mess till IT is back. Kyrie used to take off so much of the scoring burden away from LeBron and PG LeBron was fantastic last season. And they need to pray that IT provides the same amount of scoring prowess.

This is a big test for Kevin Love really and failed most of the ones where he was required to step up. He needs to be more than a catch and shoot guy and start dominating the paint consistently. Never really liked him due to him always going cold in such situations, doesn't have that last level to become a great player.

But definitely they are a far bigger problem than GSW who aren't that far from last season levels and are already doing well on offense.

Sarni

They'll be a mess till IT is back. Kyrie used to take off so much of the scoring burden away from LeBron and PG LeBron was fantastic last season. And they need to pray that IT provides the same amount of scoring prowess.

This is a big test for Kevin Love really and failed most of the ones where he was required to step up. He needs to be more than a catch and shoot guy and start dominating the paint consistently. Never really liked him due to him always going cold in such situations, doesn't have that last level to become a great player.

But definitely they are a far bigger problem than GSW who aren't that far from last season levels and are already doing well on offense.
I feel competition for Warriors will come from West this time and Finals will be a walk if they get there. Last year nobody really challenged them in the West, Spurs most likely would have if it hadn't been for Zaza's cleverly getting rid of Kawhi for the series which while very vile, worked wonders for the remainder of series (Spurs had that first game all but nailed before this). This year they will have to do with much stronger Rockets and Thunder, as well as Timberwolves who could be really good when everything clicks and a few other good teams plus as always, Spurs with Kawhi. I expect some very good matches.

In the East, if Cavs don't significantly improve they could get pushed by a few teams. If Celtics had Hayward, I would actually have them as favourite now.

Moby

Dick
I feel competition for Warriors will come from West this time and Finals will be a walk if they get there. Last year nobody really challenged them in the West, Spurs most likely would have if it hadn't been for Zaza's cleverly getting rid of Kawhi for the series which while very vile, worked wonders for the remainder of series (Spurs had that first game all but nailed before this). This year they will have to do with much stronger Rockets and Thunder, as well as Timberwolves who could be really good when everything clicks and a few other good teams plus as always, Spurs with Kawhi. I expect some very good matches.

In the East, if Cavs don't significantly improve they could get pushed by a few teams. If Celtics had Hayward, I would actually have them as favourite now.
Only Rockets can challenge their offense and I think that would be the Western Conference Finals and a great series to boot.
Thunder have a good first team but Russ is still gonna come with his flaws and Melo isn't an ideal threat for Warriors either. They're stronger than last year but still some way off beating the Warriors especially given GSW bench will annihilate whatever dross Thunder have on theirs.
Spurs have stayed the same - can defend against Warriors to an extent but won't be able to outscore them. But with Pop you never know.
Wolves look great and if KAT continues like this he would bully the Warriors front court. Decent shout.

Injuries aside Warriors are still a tier above the other teams and once they pick up their rhythm you need a lot of luck to beat them. It's impressibe how their bit-part players constantly deliver when required, such a well coached team.

And Curry is looking in great shape this season. I won't rule him out from winning an MVP.