NBA 2017-2018

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
Say what you want about Cavs steamrolling everyone in the playoffs anyway, I don't think they are making the Finals this year at all. By the look of it they aren't even going to have homecourt advantage in the first round of the playoffs, will have to play both Raptors and one of Wizards or Celtics before even that and they have been dreadful against any half decent team they have faced this season. In this form and shape I don't even fancy them to beat any of the East playoffs teams.

Kyrie was way more important for them than he got credit for. The current team is complete mess. Good luck trying to keep LeBron past this season.
There's still a chance they don't make the play-offs.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
There's still a chance they don't make the play-offs.
Nah, there's too big gap between 8th and 9th in the East. Neither Hornets nor Pistons have any potential to go on a big run right now and both will end up significantly below .500.

Utah have been spectacular. They are 18-2 in the last twenty games and have now moved to playoffs spot. Pelicans have slowed down but it was to be expected, their roster is really not all that bar Davis and they are going to miss Cousins in the playoffs (if they make it there). West have three teams making a great run - Rockets, Trail Blazers and Jazz.

I definitely don't want my Blazers to face Jazz in the first round of the playoffs. I don't want Thunder either, and if Kawhi is back I'd hate to play Spurs either. My dream seedings would be:

Rockets (1) v Spurs (8) - with Kawhi back this would be as close as it gets.
Warriors (2) v Thunder (7) - not a perfect match up for Warriors as Thunder have given them trouble many times this season already
Trail Blazers (3) v Clippers (6) - not sure if Clippers are going to make it even, but if they do, I want us to play them.
Jazz (4) v Timberwolves (5) - would be a top matchup.

Nuggets and Pelicans miss out in this scenario but it's really extremely hard to predict who is going to miss out. I thought Clippers would fall away but they don't look like doing that.

This season is so fun!

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Say what you want about Cavs steamrolling everyone in the playoffs anyway, I don't think they are making the Finals this year at all. By the look of it they aren't even going to have homecourt advantage in the first round of the playoffs, will have to play both Raptors and one of Wizards or Celtics before even that and they have been dreadful against any half decent team they have faced this season. In this form and shape I don't even fancy them to beat any of the East playoffs teams.

Kyrie was way more important for them than he got credit for. The current team is complete mess. Good luck trying to keep LeBron past this season.
Forgetting Kevin Love, as everyone always does. :nono:

I think they are favorites against the Celtics, to be honest. Toronto are so, so good right now, it's a joy to watch them.

Sarni

Forgetting Kevin Love, as everyone always does. :nono:

I think they are favorites against the Celtics, to be honest. Toronto are so, so good right now, it's a joy to watch them.
Love is good but not sure if he elevates them to a much higher level, especially coming back from injury. Also, their struggles are mostly at the defensive end and he won't actually improve them there.

I think Raptors would do them now with homecourt advantage. I really, really do not see Cavs winning in Toronto in front of this group of fans. Also, Raptors bench has been amazing, I am so impressed with VanVleet.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Love is good but not sure if he elevates them to a much higher level, especially coming back from injury. Also, their struggles are mostly at the defensive end and he won't actually improve them there.

I think Raptors would do them now with homecourt advantage. I really, really do not see Cavs winning in Toronto in front of this group of fans. Also, Raptors bench has been amazing, I am so impressed with VanVleet.
VanVleet, Poeltl, Wright, Miles, Anunoby are all fantastic. Siakam is my favourite. Not sure how much this depth is going to mean in the playoffs but it won't hurt. They've got so many options.

I think they're beating the Cavs, too. I've been hesitant to say it for a while now but it's time.

Sarni

VanVleet, Poeltl, Wright, Miles, Anunoby are all fantastic. Siakam is my favourite. Not sure how much this depth is going to mean in the playoffs but it won't hurt. They've got so many options.

I think they're beating the Cavs, too. I've been hesitant to say it for a while now but it's time.
Portland v Toronto finals will be so lovely.

Womp

idiot
Being a Celtics fan, I'm cautiously optimistic this season. Still think it'll be a Cavs v Rockets finals mind but Kyrie is phenomenal, give the guy some time to recover his knee in time for the playoffs and with Brown etc. coming back, we are capable of beating anyone.

Not to add, our Bench has been superb for us this season too, with Smart, Rozier etc. all coming up big when needed.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Without Steph, Dubs are just a collection of great and good Players. So obvious, and so stupid from Kerr to not have a plan how to play without Steph.
I really do believe that Steve Kerr is open to change but he would prefer to keep those changes to a minimum in order to not bring in any bad habits/upset what is there. If that means losing a few games in the regular season even though its chief exponent is missing - so be it.

Last edited:

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
It is becoming obvious to me that the Lakers don't need to go after more than one max player this summer. Honestly I would be happy keeping what we have and going after only Paul George while keeping Randle (this is imperative)

Ball, George, Ingram, Randle, Lopez can do damage, especially with Kuzma, Hart and IT as parts of the second unit with Zubac hopefully exhibiting more improvement. KCP may need to go and that is unfortunate.

If we can hit big again in the late part of the first round like we have done over the last 3 or 4 years then we are set.

Even if we don't get PG I am optimistic about next year if we keep all of this group together.

puNANI

It is becoming obvious to me that the Lakers don't need to go after more than one max player this summer. Honestly I would be happy keeping what we have and going after only Paul George while keeping Randle (this is imperative)

Ball, George, Ingram, Randle, Lopez can do damage, especially with Kuzma, Hart and IT as parts of the second unit with Zubac hopefully exhibiting more improvement. KCP may need to go and that is unfortunate.

If we can hit big again in the late part of the first round like we have done over the last 3 or 4 years then we are set.

Even if we don't get PG I am optimistic about next year if we keep all of this group together.

I'm with the same line of thinking.

Always been a believer in Randle because of the tools he had but the way he has applied them consistently this season, especially with his ability to switch on defense and guard 1-5 has been great to watch.

Ingram has shown fantastic improvement as well, and that stint where we had him playing point guard had him averaging 18/8/8 on 50% shooting.

If we can get George we will be a playoff team next year. If we can keep a max slot free for 2019-2020 by stretching Deng's last year and get another star we will be contenders by then, especially with the growth of Lonzo, BI, Randle, Kuzma & Hart.

ZDwyr

Spurs down to 10th (for the time being) in the West. Crazy when you think that they were a few games clear in third not long ago.

Sarni

I'm with the same line of thinking.

Always been a believer in Randle because of the tools he had but the way he has applied them consistently this season, especially with his ability to switch on defense and guard 1-5 has been great to watch.

Ingram has shown fantastic improvement as well, and that stint where we had him playing point guard had him averaging 18/8/8 on 50% shooting.

If we can get George we will be a playoff team next year. If we can keep a max slot free for 2019-2020 by stretching Deng's last year and get another star we will be contenders by then, especially with the growth of Lonzo, BI, Randle, Kuzma & Hart.
If Lakers re-sign Randle and sign George, there is no way they will have enough cap space to come near max free agents in 2019.

Portland with 9 in a row after a convincing win against Miami. Next game against Cleveland at home and the following against Detroit also at Moda, will be firm favourites for both so it could become 11 in a row and 43-26. Are we now truly the third best team in the West?

Last edited:

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
If Lakers re-sign Randle and sign George, there is no way they will have enough cap space to come near max free agents in 2019.

Portland with 9 in a row after a convincing win against Miami. Next game against Cleveland at home and the following against Detroit also at Moda, will be firm favourites for both so it could become 11 in a row and 43-26. Are we now truly the third best team in the West?
You're already on 10 at the moment, I think. Lillard has been very impressive since the turn of the year.

Sarni

You're already on 10 at the moment, I think. Lillard has been very impressive since the turn of the year.
Yes indeed it's 10.

He was just impossible last night. 7 threes, 50% 3P FG%. Nurkic was also absolutely brilliant with 27 points and 16 rebound and Zach Colllins has come on leaps and bounds since ASG, absolutely great the last couple of weeks both on defense and attack. I'm properly hyped up about this team right now and I was so down at one point 2 or so months ago.

Last edited:

ZDwyr

Russell Westbrook got his 100th triple double tonight. Congrats Russ. (@ZDwyr @Moby )

Obsessed! :);)
Give him the MVP! AGAIN!

But, it's definitely a cool little accomplishment. I'm more happy that we managed to beat the Hawks with no Adams and PG injured in the third :lol:. 3-0 in the 'Corey Brewer as a starter' era! The Jazz are on a massive hot streak right now. I think they'll end up with the 7th or 8th seed. Despite not playing that many games I hope Gobert gets the DPOY. They've been incredible since he returned. Holding opponents to 96 points per/game or something.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Give him the MVP! AGAIN!

But, it's definitely a cool little accomplishment. I'm more happy that we managed to beat the Hawks with no Adams and PG injured in the third :lol:. 3-0 in the 'Corey Brewer as a starter' era! The Jazz are on a massive hot streak right now. I think they'll end up with the 7th or 8th seed. Despite not playing that many games I hope Gobert gets the DPOY. They've been incredible since he returned. Holding opponents to 96 points per/game or something.
It really is. I've often been unfairly accused of giving Russ a hard time. ;) However, this is something to really be proud of.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Last edited:

Moby

Dick
I don't get this point of 'he's individually better even when the team has a worse record with him when Curry isn't playing than the other way round'.

How does that work? Are we not factoring in Curry's quality of establishing an insanely unplayable speed and brand of basketball and getting the entire team to go with it? That's a clear cut 'ability' and a massive part of what he brings. Messi has that, Maradona had that, it's what separates the greats from the good and I don't get why it isn't considered when you are comparing two individuals when it matters so highly.

The records that were mentioned especially Warriors being the 26th fastest in the league with KD minus Steph while being number 1 with the other way round brutally expose the limitations of KD and the massive influence of Steph, and that, very much, is a big reason why Steph is the better 'individual' for any team.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
I don't get this point of 'he's individually better even when the team has a worse record with him when Curry isn't playing than the other way round'.

How does that work? Are we not factoring in Curry's quality of establishing an insanely unplayable speed and brand of basketball and getting the entire team to go with it? That's a clear cut 'ability' and a massive part of what he brings. Messi has that, Maradona had that, it's what separates the greats from the good and I don't get why it isn't considered when you are comparing two individuals when it matters so highly.

The records that were mentioned especially Warriors being the 26th fastest in the league with KD minus Steph while being number 1 with the other way round brutally expose the limitations of KD and the massive influence of Steph, and that, very much, is a big reason why Steph is the better 'individual' for any team.
That's always been my rationale when I take the view that Steph is the better player. However, I think an awful lot of folks out there rationalize that KD is better is because he can do more things as an individual. He can block shots, he can rebound, he can drive to the basket both above and below the rim, he is a good shooter, a good passer. All around he can do more things really well than Steph. However as Broussard points out, the things that Steph can do are transcendent. There is no-one in the history of the game that can do what he can do and for me even though KD has a wider range of talents than Steph, IMLTHO because of his uniqueness Steph is better.

Last edited:

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
No Steph, no Klay, no Draymond, Andre Iguodala maybe playing but more than likely on restricted minutes if he does. Hooray for the Hamptons 1.

Last edited:

Scarecrow

Having a week off
No Steph, no Klay, no Draymond, Andre Iguodala maybe playing but more than likely on restricted minutes if he does. Hooray for the Hamptons 1.
I've got money on Lakers + 6.5. Klay news still wasn't out, so it's good odds. Don't feck it up.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
I've got money on Lakers + 6.5. Klay news still wasn't out, so it's good odds. Don't feck it up.
Swaggy P to score 50 against his old team. Well maybe 5.0 anyway.

In all honesty they're probably all still drunk from Steph's 30th.

puNANI

Randle's asking price will be about 12-16m and Paul George will be a max contract.

We will be in the last years of Deng's 18m contract, which we will stretch over a number of years and have enough space for another max.

If we sign both of them I'm certain any other free agent deal (IT or bringing Brook back for example) will only be one year deals.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
No Steph, no Klay, no Draymond, no problem! Seven players in double figures.

.....and they said the Dubs bench wouldn't come through. :cool:

Sarni

Wow, quite impressed by the fact Warriors won a game with Kevin Durant and a bunch of random dudes. Cook, Looney, Pachulia and Young is not really the best supporting cast in the league. I think they were a bit lucky that Lakers were on back to back which is always very tough for young players. Their next two games are against Kings and Suns so they might actually not drop that many games during Steph and Klay absence.

This is what actually impresses me about current Raptors team for example. They basically have 12 players who can easily start and you won't be surprised about any of them getting 15 mpg.

Sarni

Our big three didn't even have a great night while LeBron was amazing and we still disposed of Cavs with ease. This team is actually properly good.

ZDwyr

LeBron is for sure gone. They had Love, Nance Jr and Thompson out but still, aside from that mini resurgence after the trade deadline Cleveland look basically the same.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
Rockets have Pelicans-Timberwolves on a back to back then trailbrazers, if they win all 3 I'd back them to win 1st seed.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
They have an excuse to just chill for a month now. Rockets will play hard until the end.

Sarni

Rockets have Pelicans-Timberwolves on a back to back then trailbrazers, if they win all 3 I'd back them to win 1st seed.
They will win the first seed comfortably anyway. Warriors are going to lose games over the next two weeks with all of their three best players out with injuries.

You are not winning at Moda though, not anymore.

Moreover I don't think Warriors care about the first seed. They will want to rest now.

Moby

Dick
They will win the first seed comfortably anyway. Warriors are going to lose games over the next two weeks with all of their three best players out with injuries.

You are not winning at Moda though, not anymore.

Moreover I don't think Warriors care about the first seed. They will want to rest now.
Risky business giving Houston HCA in the finals.