NBA 2018-2019

ZDwyr

They need to do away with the West East playoffs and just turn it into a 1-16 seed bracket.
Absolutely. Hopefully they can get around the logistics one day. As it stands in the West two of these will miss the playoffs: OKC, Portland, Utah, Denver, Minnesota, Lakers, Spurs, Pelicans. Assuming Houston and Warriors make it because they were clearly the best two teams.

ArseHat

“Anyone crazy enough to mess with me is crazy enough to play with me”. Like Kobe and Matt Barnes, Lebron and Lance on the same team should be interesting to say the least.

Looks like Magic and Rob are preparing for more moves on the back of the KCP and Lance deals though, with BI being the first expendable asset. Shame, as he has all-star potential and you want your draft picks to develop on your watch, but Kawhi is the “ready made product”.

ZDwyr

What is this roster that Magic is putting around LeBron? :lol:

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Free agency going well so far. Send Kawhi to the East and maybe poach Luc Mbah a Moute from the Rockets and then let the chips fall where they may.

edcunited1878

The four-year commitment from LeBron is interesting.
LBJ's son is entering high school this fall. It was stated that LeBron would love to play in the NBA at the same time as his son. Not sure how good Bronny is, but I can see LeBron playing until at least 40, which is plenty of time for his oldest son to graduate high school and go to the NBA or go to college and then NBA if he progresses.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
He's on the decline but he is still clearly the best player in the league. All depends how fast his drop-off is though, and what the Lakers put around him. As it currently sits at KCP, Stephenson and a young core - I would say that's a decent team but very LeBron dependent.
That’s basically every LeBron team.

On paper before they start playing, it looks good, but once the games starts, everyone realises it’s dependent on LeBron for everything to work.

ZDwyr

That’s basically every LeBron team.

On paper before they start playing, it looks good, but once the games starts, everyone realises it’s dependent on LeBron for everything to work.
I'd say in this case it doesn't even look that good on paper though. Maybe I underrate the Lakers young guys? And in a few other instances teams were LeBron dependent but the cast was good (Kyrie, Wade, Bosh). Not sure that is the case now.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Not really surprised about the move, their status next year depends on whether they get Kawhi or not now. Will be interesting.

el3mel

Celtics should reach the final easily next season now. East will be empty for them.

Sarni

GSM to still win the NBA again. Lebron joining the Lakers won't stop them
Of course. If he went there with George and Leonard then I think they would be winning it, as currently stands he will go there without George and Kawhi is 50/50 so they’ll probably be happy to make the conference finals.

LeBron’s 8-year finals run coming to an end. He could have easily extended it to ten by going to Philadelphia.

Sarni

I wonder what happens with Kevin Love now. Personally I have him down as a trade candidate for Phoenix, perfect situation for both parties really. He will be a veteran presence for them and will fit in nicely next to Ayton on offense (Ayton will need to learn defense though because Love is not helping there). They have the assets to get it done and I believe they want to compete now.

The Ariza move indicates the direction for them IMO. I think they will move for Love and Walker now.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Definitely. Isiah Thomas though :lol::lol:
Poor Isaiah :lol:

Out of curiosity, is there anyway Lakers are signing Lance, Javale or KCP as possible sign and trades for Kawhi?

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
I think KCP getting a new one-year deal is purely to use him as a trade asset, isn't it?

I think at almost 33, James cared more about his life standard and way of living rather than getting another ring, and don't think you can blame him for that. His legacy is cemented and will extend far beyond what he does on the court at this point. With or without Leonard/Boogie, we're a certainty for the playoffs now with maybe even home-court advantage in the first round, imo. He definitely needs Leonard to best the Warriors or Rockets though unless Kuzma and/or Ingram have taken major steps forward this offseason.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I didn't had a lot of hope for the Timberwolves, now I have none, zero, nada, zilch.

Revan

Assumptionman
Holy shit, wasn't expecting this after George didn't join them. It will be interesting to see what magic can Magic pull for this. If they can get Leonard and Boogie, they should be able to compete, but with only LeBron and Leonard, they should be underdogs compare to Warriors.

Not sure if this is best basketball decision LeBron could have made, but cannot blame him. Life is much more than just winning rings, and he has been so successful anyway. He has the right to do whatever is best best for him, and likely the quality of life is the best in LA, in addition to him having businesses there, and giving the best chance to his kid.

Regardless of anything, Lakers will be a fun team to watch. Even if they don't get anything else, they should reach playoffs next season, and they have 3 good young kids in addition to a GOAT, so they will be tricky opponents for everyone.

Sarni

I think KCP getting a new one-year deal is purely to use him as a trade asset, isn't it?

I think at almost 33, James cared more about his life standard and way of living rather than getting another ring, and don't think you can blame him for that. His legacy is cemented and will extend far beyond what he does on the court at this point. With or without Leonard/Boogie, we're a certainty for the playoffs now with maybe even home-court advantage in the first round, imo. He definitely needs Leonard to best the Warriors or Rockets though unless Kuzma and/or Ingram have taken major steps forward this offseason.
You can't trade him until December 15th now so I highly doubt it. They are trying to surround LeBron with shooters now as there isn't another high profile free agent available that they could get for this season (Cousins will not come back until January at earliest), they will hand out a lot of 1-year deals and keep cap space for next year when Klay and Kawhi are available.

Sixers really need to step up and get Kawhi now. Even if he says now that he wants to play in LA, you never know. If you get one year to have him there, put a good campaign and perhaps reach the Finals, you should be able to keep him like OKC were able to keep George.

I agree it's a lifestyle decision. He'll likely not be able to put together a team that will be able to challenge the Warriors there but living in LA will be a dream.

Sarni

Holy shit, wasn't expecting this after George didn't join them. It will be interesting to see what magic can Magic pull for this. If they can get Leonard and Boogie, they should be able to compete, but with only LeBron and Leonard, they should be underdogs compare to Warriors.

Not sure if this is best basketball decision LeBron could have made, but cannot blame him. Life is much more than just winning rings, and he has been so successful anyway. He has the right to do whatever is best best for him, and likely the quality of life is the best in LA, in addition to him having businesses there, and giving the best chance to his kid.

Regardless of anything, Lakers will be a fun team to watch. Even if they don't get anything else, they should reach playoffs next season, and they have 3 good young kids in addition to a GOAT, so they will be tricky opponents for everyone.
Not sure how Boogie helps them. He's had the worst injury a big could have and will not be back until late in the season. 2018-19 is largely a wash for him.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Poor Isaiah :lol:

Out of curiosity, is there anyway Lakers are signing Lance, Javale or KCP as possible sign and trades for Kawhi?
I like Lance and Javale so I hope not :lol: Lakers will be so much fun now.
The problem is that I think Spurs are serious (petty?) enough to never strengthen a rival easily like that.

Sarni

Not saying it'd have a chance of being successful. Just asking whether it'd be a possibility.
It's not. Not allowed to trade them until December 15th. You cannot sign someone else's player as a sign-and-trade, you can re-sign your own player and trade him to another team (but not multiple players either).

Kaos

OMG as a raptors fan I cannot tell you how pleased I am Lebron has fecked off from the East :lol:. All those years of torment.

Though knowing our luck now we’ll probably just end up being Boston and Philly’s punching bags next season :(.

Bubz27

It's not. Not allowed to trade them until December 15th. You cannot sign someone else's player as a sign-and-trade, you can re-sign your own player and trade him to another team (but not multiple players either).
Ah okay, cheers. KCP was our player though? So we could trade him?

Bubz27

The problem is that I think Spurs are serious (petty?) enough to never strengthen a rival easily like that.
Some of that fun might be the type of fun I want though, with Javale.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Both conferences are more interesting now, for different reasons.

Sarni

I don’t think it’s petty. They know they will have another team in the West they won’t be able to compete with if they let Kawhi go there. If they can get a good enough return from Philadelphia (or Boston) they have no reason to let him go to LA now, especially as the assets Lakers would be trading to them are not obviously better than what Phila and Boston can potentially give them.

They could actually improve compared to last season if the make good moves (Spurs).

Sarni

Both conferences are more interesting now, for different reasons.
The league will scrap the conference playoffs soon I feel and will go with 1-16 across the league instead.

SouthPredators4

Lbj joining the Lakers is definitely not a "win first" decision whether Kawhi joins this year or next. He wanted to market his brand and maximise his billion dollar Nike shoe contract, together with his family staying in a place they already have a home during post season. As a Rockets fan, i am probably biased but if he had join us, we would win 3 to 4 straight titles and he would have a chance to eclipse MJ's 6 rings and cement himself as the GOAT. For now, his Lakers would finish at best 3 seed with or without Kawhi.

SouthPredators4

He will never be regarded as a Lakers great and forever be in the shadows of Kobe and Magic. Dumb move.

JoaquinJoaquin

GSW to still win the NBA again. Lebron joining the Lakers won't stop them
I think GSW could be toppled next year. The cracks showed this year in truth and the Rockets should of (and would of) beaten them. If Lebron gets 1 or 2 good players to help and Ingram, Ball and Kuzma improve (if they don't get traded for Leonard) then I think they could certainly challenge GSW.

JoaquinJoaquin

OMG as a raptors fan I cannot tell you how pleased I am Lebron has fecked off from the East :lol:. All those years of torment.

Though knowing our luck now we’ll probably just end up being Boston and Philly’s punching bags next season :(.
You guys need to pretty much blow it up at this point. Basically the NBA version of Tottenham in that you are good, but will never win anything.

Sarni

I think GSW could be toppled next year. The cracks showed this year in truth and the Rockets should of (and would of) beaten them. If Lebron gets 1 or 2 good players to help and Ingram, Ball and Kuzma improve (if they don't get traded for Leonard) then I think they could certainly challenge GSW.
Nah, Rockets have got worse with the loss of Ariza and Lakers are nowhere near. Lakers will be third in the conference now, probably, maybe even second but over 7 games they won't beat GS. Different conversation if they find a good deal for Kawhi.

JoaquinJoaquin

Nah, Rockets have got worse with the loss of Ariza and Lakers are nowhere near. Lakers will be third in the conference now, probably, maybe even second but over 7 games they won't beat GS.
Well we will see. All dynastys have to end at some point and the cracks have shown with the Warriors. They might squeeze one more title out but I think that will be it.

In regards to the Lakers, A team with Lebron, Leonard, Lonzo and Kuzma (assuming Ingram will be in the KL trade) with a few vets Lebron will attract is a very good team. They probably won't beat the Warriors, but I certainly don't think it's an impossible thing either.