NBA 2019-2020

Skåre Willoch

Magic Howard was a great player, just seemingly casually throwing him under a bus there. Just because he didn't pull off the carry job and win them a ring - that run to the finals was all on Howard really - beating defending champs Celtics and fellow carry job man LeBron on the way. The games passed him by since he left the Magic though - so it's been hard for him to stand out much/at all and of course he's gonna get wildly frustrated with it. Most of the classic centers would be lost in todays game somewhat.
Okay, sorry. Fair. Magic Howard was insane. Which further proves to me that Embiid simply isn't cut out to be a centerpiece or superstar on a winning team. Dwight Howard was already dominating teams on his own at Embiids age, while Embiid can't last 10 minutes in the first round of the playoffs. I hope for his sake he has an opposite career trajectory to Howard.

Also, the game has passed Howard by, but he also let it pass by without caring much it seemed. He lost his way outside the court, and it really made his career take a U-turn.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Amazing win by Dallas, and they could have been 2-0 if it wasn’t for that soft technical. They will still lose but they’ll be contenders in 2 years max.

Also, are Philly going to make major changes (i.e. trade Simmons) if they lose in the first round? They have to try something.
They will first fire their coach

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Also, the game has passed Howard by, but he also let it pass by without caring much it seemed. He lost his way outside the court, and it really made his career take a U-turn.
Orlando Howard would still be a very relevant player today, but his back is fecked and his hops are gone. It's not all down to him not caring enough, although it definitely played a role.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Also, Embiid doesn't have the mentality to become a proper superstar. He's Dwight Howard 2.0. All the talent to become as good as he likes and dominate the NBA for a decade, lacks the effort. He looked totally exhausted after 7 minutes in this game. That's not about lack of talent or skill or teammates, it's a lack of mentality. He doesn't put in the required effort in training. If he can't even step up during the playoffs, he'll be nothing but a footnote in history.
There's still time for Embiid to mentally mature. Several players developed that mental fortitude as they got older, and Embiid might be one of them. His fitness, however, is a legitimate concern; he had excuses for that last year, and I think there might be some mental blocker in there for this.

Regardless, I struggle to see how Philly can let him go. A big man that can work both the inside and outside areas is a valuable asset. They've built the whole team on the notion that he'd be their centrepiece, too, so letting him go will mean basically blowing everything up.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
They totally screwed up with the Harris deal as well. No way is he a max player. Horford is on the decline. And they're stuck with both of them for a long time. Two untradeable contracts worth a ton of money, that. Both are on the books until 22/23 as well I think.

Also, Embiid doesn't have the mentality to become a proper superstar. He's Dwight Howard 2.0. All the talent to become as good as he likes and dominate the NBA for a decade, lacks the effort. He looked totally exhausted after 7 minutes in this game. That's not about lack of talent or skill or teammates, it's a lack of mentality. He doesn't put in the required effort in training. If he can't even step up during the playoffs, he'll be nothing but a footnote in history.
Harris was ridiculous from the start. Two first round picks and Shamet for half a year of Tobias Harris was a crazy price to pay and could only be justified with a championship. Trading Mikal Bridges, who has been fantastic for Suns, for Miami pick and Zhaire Smith also gets overlooked while discussing how terrible they've been with their assets.

It looked like they were building a good team before season started, one of the strongest defensive units of recent years but it never clicked in regular season, and after Simmons got injured their hopes for the playoffs were gone just like that.

As for Embiid, as any other center in modern league, he's great as a complimentary player but not focal point of the team. Jokic may be the exception but even there Nuggets are going to need special talent elsewhere to be competitive. Basically I don't think you win NBA title in 2020 if your best player is a center.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Harris was ridiculous from the start. Two first round picks and Shamet for half a year of Tobias Harris was a crazy price to pay and could only be justified with a championship. Trading Mikal Bridges, who has been fantastic for Suns, for Miami pick and Zhaire Smith also gets overlooked while discussing how terrible they've been with their assets.

It looked like they were building a good team before season started, one of the strongest defensive units of recent years but it never clicked in regular season, and after Simmons got injured their hopes for the playoffs were gone just like that.

As for Embiid, as any other center in modern league, he's great as a complimentary player but not focal point of the team. Jokic may be the exception but even there Nuggets are going to need special talent elsewhere to be competitive. Basically I don't think you win NBA title in 2020 if your best player is a center.
Of course you can. If the second coming of prime Shaq comes into the league next year, they’re instant contenders if his team surround him well.

There are just no or not enough dominant centers right now.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Harden had just 3 FG with 4 minutes left in the 4th. Tough shooting night for him.but he's been excellent in literally every other facet of the game.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
Harden had just 3 FG with 4 minutes left in the 4th. Tough shooting night for him.but he's been excellent in literally every other facet of the game.
Scored 9 points in the 4th to end it, despite the bad shooting game in the first 3 quarters as long as he close the game like that Rockets can handle it.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Scored 9 points in the 4th to end it, despite the bad shooting game in the first 3 quarters as long as he close the game like that Rockets can handle it.
Yeah he stat padded a little at the end to kill the game off to end with a respectable 21 points.

I've been so impressed with the Rockets' defence. OKC rarely had a good look. It's comforting to know they can rely on the defence to carry them in a tight playoff game when the offence isn't clicking.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
Yeah he stat padded a little at the end to kill the game off to end with a respectable 21 points.

I've been so impressed with the Rockets' defence. OKC rarely had a good look. It's comforting to know they can rely on the defence to carry them in a tight playoff game when the offence isn't clicking.
How is that post up and 3 shot and midrange stat padding?

Edit:kind of hoping to face the lakers if we make the 2nd round, they don't impress me.

ZDwyr

No idea why Donovan took Dort off in the 4th. Not a coincidence that Harden basically sealed it in that period. Although, Schroder being garbage at the end of the 3rd and start of the 4th helped a great deal. CP3's trade value deteriorating with every game as well. ugh.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
No idea why Donovan took Dort off in the 4th. Not a coincidence that Harden basically sealed it in that period. Although, Schroder being garbage at the end of the 3rd and start of the 4th helped a great deal. CP3's trade value deteriorating with every game as well. ugh.
It's kind of sad to see CP3 -36 tbh.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Okay, sorry. Fair. Magic Howard was insane. Which further proves to me that Embiid simply isn't cut out to be a centerpiece or superstar on a winning team. Dwight Howard was already dominating teams on his own at Embiids age, while Embiid can't last 10 minutes in the first round of the playoffs. I hope for his sake he has an opposite career trajectory to Howard.

Dwight's best assets was his athleticism and with his back injury and him getting old, don't think his off court matters actually affected his game as much as those two factors.

Sarni

Lakers and Bucks win.

Dame better be healthy or it'll be an easy stroll for the Lakers.
They will finish us in the next 3 and it won’t even be close. They are good defensively, we are horrendous on that end so...

Skåre Willoch

Dwight's best assets was his athleticism and with his back injury and him getting old, don't think his off court matters actually affected his game as much as those two factors.
I think all factors have contributed, really. Of course a failing body is difficult to get back from, but I think his career peak would've lasted quite a bit longer with proper professionalism. I don't think Embiid has those kinds of problems, though. He just doesn't seem tough enough to actually make the effort he needs to in the gym. His stamina is inexcusable, and can "easily" be fixed with proper dedication and work ethic.

elmo

I think all factors have contributed, really. Of course a failing body is difficult to get back from, but I think his career peak would've lasted quite a bit longer with proper professionalism. I don't think Embiid has those kinds of problems, though. He just doesn't seem tough enough to actually make the effort he needs to in the gym. His stamina is inexcusable, and can "easily" be fixed with proper dedication and work ethic.
Embiid has a chronic knee problem which affects his work on his fitness.

His work ethic can't be that bad considering how skilled he is despite starting to play basketball at a very late stage.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM

The Rockets were great despite poor shooting from Harden and no Westbrook. Brilliant signs for the rest of the playoffs. I think they either get knocked out in the WCF or win the whole lot.

Skåre Willoch

Embiid has a chronic knee problem which affects his work on his fitness.

His work ethic can't be that bad considering how skilled he is despite starting to play basketball at a very late stage.
I guess he, as many others, have tremendous work ethic on the fun parts. Shooting, dribbling, technical stuff. I'm sure he works very hard, as any professional athlete, but it's obvious he doesn't work hard enough. If he did, he would last longer in these games where he has to do more on his own. The good thing is that it's very fixable. Stamina can be improved with some quite simple methods. The not so good thing is that it's hard work, and it's not fun. His knee issues makes it a bit more difficult, sure, but not impossible. There are examples of athletes who've lost serious time to injury, coming back in better physical condition due to focusing on that type of training and a proper diet.

Also, him starting to play basketball at a late age is impressive as feck. Really impressive, actually. But, could that be part of the reason for him not being better? I mean (it's a lazy argument, but an argument nonetheless), he's 7 feet tall, which is a relatively unique skill on it's own. But without athleticism it loses a bit of value. He knows he can dominate most players due to his height alone, and got used to that when he was first introduced to the game. He's never played the game while being "small" or young. Anthony Davis has mentioned the fact that he wasn't really that tall (relatively speaking) when he was younger has made him what he is today.

He's obviously very skilled, and a prototype modern NBA center, but he has to work on his halth and physique. Eat right and work out right. Not just more or "a lot", but right. And that requires dedication to it.
Even "Coca Cola" Jokic, notorious for his bad diet, has improved his physique and lost weight. Embiid did too, but has gone back to his old ways it seems. Apparently he lost 25 pounds of during the summer of 2019, but it really doesn't look like that now. I'm convinced that a good diet helps you stay healthy as well. Just look at Derrick "Gummy worms for breakfast" Rose. I don't have any evidence to back this up, but if he ate chicken breasts instead of gummy worms, could he have avoided a bit of his issues? Maybe. Maybe not. But there is a reason why most professional athletes take their diets as seriously as they do, it's not all about body fat %.

I just can't find an excuse for Embiid being a non factor after 7 minutes in a playoff game against a historical rival. If it's not about his work ethic, mentality and stamina, what is it? It's not all down to him being the best player as a center, his team isn't that bad. And if he can't make any difference at all at this stage, he should 100% be traded. This also goes if he can't stay healthy, and his knees are the big issue. That means he can't be relied upon for any extended amount of time, and should be moved on.

Sorry for rambling about Embiid.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
He's obviously very skilled, and a prototype modern NBA center, but he has to work on his halth and physique. Eat right and work out right. Not just more or "a lot", but right. And that requires dedication to it.
Perfectly said right here. I don't like Lebron but he's an example at maintaing oneself at optimal fitness for a long time. I wish talented players like Embiid would find some focus and motivation to do a bit of the same.

Skåre Willoch

Perfectly said right here. I don't like Lebron but he's an example at maintaing oneself at optimal fitness for a long time. I wish talented players like Embiid would find some focus and motivation to do a bit of the same.
Yeah. I've heard that LeBron spends more than 1 million dollars a year just on keeping his body healthy and in shape. In addition to what is provided by the team and coaches. It certainly seems to have made a difference through the years. Kobe was also notorious for his work ethic. First to arrive, last to leave. I can't imagine the same goes for Embiid.

Zen

As pointless a stat it is - some of the plus/minus in the OKC/Rockets game are wild... how can CP3 be -36 yet other OKC have a plus, same with Rockets. Harden -1, Gordon +23.... thats a starting backcourt.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
The Rockets were great despite poor shooting from Harden and no Westbrook. Brilliant signs for the rest of the playoffs. I think they either get knocked out in the WCF or win the whole lot.
Harden himself was great last night despite the poor shooting. If they stay locked in on defence throughout the post-season, they're going somewhere. I'm just taking it one game at a time though.

Sidenote; this made my smile so much. Russ' energy is infectious. I don't think I've ever seen Harden that hyped on the bench :lol:

ThierryHenry

Yeah I loved that. And agree, Harden still played well, strong on defense, kept creating for the rest of the team and a couple of really entertaining no-look assists.

Also. How fecking cool was Westbrook's outfit there? Look at this:

Zen

Westbrook and great outfit don't go together...... it's almost normal looking, which I guess is as close to great he's gonna get. Attention seeking NBA fashion is just crazy.

botond

This series will go to 7 games most likely.

Blazers just seem to be on another level as of recently. Real dark horses in the west.
The Lakers are no good offensively. They're bottom 10 in the league for 3P%. No team has won a title being that bad for a long time (if ever?). I think Portland will win this series.
Lakers aren't making it out of the West.

Their bigs sucks, non existent 3 point shooting and over reliance on LeBron will ruin their season.

Literally everyone knows the best way to build a LeBron team would be to fill it with shooters and yet the Lakers just didn't bother.

:lol: at the hot takes after 1 game , the Charles and Pierce special

Sarni

That's a brave prediction considering they'll play Lakers in round 2. I do give them a chance against Lakers though. Think Clippers will beat them quite comfortably though.

Sarni

As pointless a stat it is - some of the plus/minus in the OKC/Rockets game are wild... how can CP3 be -36 yet other OKC have a plus, same with Rockets. Harden -1, Gordon +23.... thats a starting backcourt.
Portland v Memphis, Dame played 45 minutes and was +17... Portland won by 4. Against Lakers on Tuesday Dame played 43 minutes and was +19... won by 7.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
I got 49ers Lakers,Yankees and Utd. :drool:
Giants, Yankees, Knicks for me. Additionally being a Sporting fan along with the Knicks and Giants gives me enough motivation on the daily to put a slug through my dome and call it a day:)

elmo

:lol: at the hot takes after 1 game , the Charles and Pierce special
I've been saying it the whole season though. Lakers aren't anything special and any team with a decent defensive big would stop them easily, just pack the fecking paint and don't allow easy shots in the paint and they're fecked.

They're not winning the title this year

ThierryHenry

How do you watch the league pass on a smart TV or firestick in the UK
I could get it to work through my PS4, if you have one?

Or hooking up your laptop to the tele. It didn’t seem to be an option on my (relatively basic) smart TV, and I don’t have a firestick.

Sarni

I thought Nuggets were going to kill Jazz in this series but it may be the other way around.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
That's a brave prediction considering they'll play Lakers in round 2. I do give them a chance against Lakers though. Think Clippers will beat them quite comfortably though.
Not considering a Dallas upset this round? They'd likely be up 2-0 if not for a garbage officiating decision. And if Bev is out...

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
I could get it to work through my PS4, if you have one?

Or hooking up your laptop to the tele. It didn’t seem to be an option on my (relatively basic) smart TV, and I don’t have a firestick.

Yes I have a PS4 . How do you do it through it

Fracture90

This Nuggets team is a disgrace, bunch of softies, led by a softie. No effort, no desire, no "cojones".

Sarni

Not considering a Dallas upset this round? They'd likely be up 2-0 if not for a garbage officiating decision. And if Bev is out...
I thought they had almost zero chance but the first couple of games have changed my mind a bit. Still have Clippers as significant favorites but it’s maybe 70/30 as opposed to 90/10. I don’t think Beverley is that important for this series though, Kawhi and PG can defend Doncic.

Fracture90

I thought they had almost zero chance but the first couple of games have changed my mind a bit. Still have Clippers as significant favorites but it’s maybe 70/30 as opposed to 90/10. I don’t think Beverley is that important for this series though, Kawhi and PG can defend Doncic.
Has Doc started sending Kawhi and PG on Luka yet? Only saw highlights of the game 2 but in game 1 it seemed that it was Morris who was guarding Luka a lot.