NBA 2020-2021

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
Watching Warriors-Mavs. The Warriors had a 0-28 run across the first and second quarters. I think it ended with like five air-balls in a row. :lol:

The worst was how their heads seemed to drop, you could tell that the energy on both ends just slid and slid through the run, and it looked like they had increasingly had no idea how to get out of it.

ThierryHenry

Also - looking at how close the top three are in the West, surely you're by far best off finishing 2nd? If I could choose, I'd probably pick 2nd, 3rd, 1st, as my order of preference.

2nd means you avoid Lakers/ Nuggets until the Conference Final, get a relatively easy first round-match up (most likely Portland in poor form), and keep home court advantage all through the play-offs, or, with the exception of the WCF if the 1st seed knocks out Lakers/ Nuggets.

Clippers supposedly have the easiest run-in, with the Suns the hardest, so it could end-up being up to the Clippers where they want to finish in the final run-in.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Also - looking at how close the top three are in the West, surely you're by far best off finishing 2nd? If I could choose, I'd probably pick 2nd, 3rd, 1st, as my order of preference.

2nd means you avoid Lakers/ Nuggets until the Conference Final, get a relatively easy first round-match up (most likely Portland in poor form), and keep home court advantage all through the play-offs, or, with the exception of the WCF if the 1st seed knocks out Lakers/ Nuggets.

Clippers supposedly have the easiest run-in, with the Suns the hardest, so it could end-up being up to the Clippers where they want to finish in the final run-in.
I don't think anyone will think about this that hard. I don't think Portland will get the 7th seed as they'd need to win the play-in game, not happening in current form. There's still 10 games left and Warriors could end up 8th and then win the play-in, so technically by finishing 2nd your path to conference finals could be Warriors and Clippers while by finishing 1st you could end up playing Portland/Spurs/Grizzlies and then Lakers/Nuggets with missing players.

ThierryHenry

I don't think anyone will think about this that hard. I don't think Portland will get the 7th seed as they'd need to win the play-in game, not happening in current form. There's still 10 games left and Warriors could end up 8th and then win the play-in, so technically by finishing 2nd your path to conference finals could be Warriors and Clippers while by finishing 1st you could end up playing Portland/Spurs/Grizzlies and then Lakers/Nuggets with missing players.
I'm assuming it's more likely that the Suns fall behind the Clippers, and it's a question of playing something like Grizzlies/ Warriors then Lakers/Nuggets, vs. Portland/ Grizzlies then Suns/ Mavs. I'd definitely prefer the latter.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Watching Warriors-Mavs. The Warriors had a 0-28 run across the first and second quarters. I think it ended with like five air-balls in a row. :lol:

The worst was how their heads seemed to drop, you could tell that the energy on both ends just slid and slid through the run, and it looked like they had increasingly had no idea how to get out of it.
This performance illustrated just how bad this Warriors team really is if Curry isn't able to carry them. When he left the game with a minute to go in the third he had 27 points on 50/56/100 shooting but with the rest of the team only having 37 points on 23/17/77 it just wasn't enough. The last time they played the Mavs he scored 57 and they still lost.

If there are too many more games like this that contract extension with the Dubs might not be a sure thing after all.

Last edited:

Sarni

This performance illustrated just how bad this Warriors team really is if Curry isn't able to carry them. When he left the game with a minute to go in the third he had 27 points on 50/56/100 shooting but with the rest of the team only having 37 points on 23/17/77 it just wasn't enough. The last time they played the Mavs he scored 57 and they still lost.

If there are too many more games like this that contract extension with the Dubs might not be a sure thing after all.
By the time his contract extension comes most of these players will not be on the team anymore, Wiseman will be more developed, they will get a great pick from Minnesota (unless they draw a top 3 pick this year and then miraculously become a good team next year, which I guess could happen with Edwards on board).

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
By the time his contract extension comes most of these players will not be on the team anymore, Wiseman will be more developed, they will get a great pick from Minnesota (unless they draw a top 3 pick this year and then miraculously become a good team next year, which I guess could happen with Edwards on board).
Take that back, they are better than the Jazz. :D

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
I'm assuming it's more likely that the Suns fall behind the Clippers, and it's a question of playing something like Grizzlies/ Warriors then Lakers/Nuggets, vs. Portland/ Grizzlies then Suns/ Mavs. I'd definitely prefer the latter.
Clippers won't push for a higher seeding because Kawhi needs to be rested.

Sarni

Take that back, they are better than the Jazz. :D
Swept them. :lol: I think the minute it became a genuine possibility that they would sweep the top seed it became a matter of pride for them.

Actually at full strength with Flynn as coach they should be good for about .500 in a normal season. They've barely been healthy all season, had Beasley in trouble, Edwards coming to the league very young and having to adapt. I wouldn't be shocked if they are in the play-in next year, especially if they can get a top 3 pick and someone like Cade or Suggs in.

JPRouve

Scout
Swept them. :lol: I think the minute it became a genuine possibility that they would sweep the top seed it became a matter of pride for them.

Actually at full strength with Flynn as coach they should be good for about .500 in a normal season. They've barely been healthy all season, had Beasley in trouble, Edwards coming to the league very young and having to adapt. I wouldn't be shocked if they are in the play-in next year, especially if they can get a top 3 pick and someone like Cade or Suggs in.
I don't even think that it was a matter of pride, the common theme has been the fact that they were healthier than usual when they played the Jazz. The main issue for the Timberwolves outside of being as bad as the Blazers defensively is that they lack efficient shooting in depth, Kat, Beasley and D-Lo are the only efficient shooters in the team and all three have missed a lot of games, in hindsight D-Lo was also clearly unhealthy during the first part of the season, physically the difference in his movement is staggering. And of course Flynn is a better head coach than Saunders but without his offensive dynamos he was still losing games at a high clip.

The other issue is that it's a very young team Ed Davis is the oldest player on the team, their current starting 5 has two rookies who are both pretty good but they are still rookies and one is young by rookies standards. If the Wolves have a top three pick, I would probably lean toward Mobley, McDaniels is more of a SF and Mobley is supposed to be a dynamic scorer and decent rim protecter which is exactly what they need, they need to add size on both sides of the court.

Sarni

I don't even think that it was a matter of pride, the common theme has been the fact that they were healthier than usual when they played the Jazz. The main issue for the Timberwolves outside of being as bad as the Blazers defensively is that they lack efficient shooting in depth, Kat, Beasley and D-Lo are the only efficient shooters in the team and all three have missed a lot of games, in hindsight D-Lo was also clearly unhealthy during the first part of the season, physically the difference in his movement is staggering. And of course Flynn is a better head coach than Saunders but without his offensive dynamos he was still losing games at a high clip.

The other issue is that it's a very young team Ed Davis is the oldest player on the team, their current starting 5 has two rookies who are both pretty good but they are still rookies and one is young by rookies standards. If the Wolves have a top three pick, I would probably lean toward Mobley, McDaniels is more of a SF and Mobley is supposed to be a dynamic scorer and decent rim protecter which is exactly what they need, they need to add size on both sides of the court.
How do you fit Mobley next to Towns though? I don't think he's a power forward in this league.

JPRouve

Scout
How do you fit Mobley next to Towns though? I don't think he's a power forward in this league.
The same way you fit Naz Reid who happens to be Towns best partner, it used to be also true with Dieng. Keep in mind that Towns doesn't protect the rim anymore, particularly when Reid is also on the floor, he is used more on the perimeter and he doesn't play like a traditional center on offense. Someone like Mobley could be a better version of Naz Reid.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Warriors 3 games ahead of the Pelicans for 10th and still have to play the Pels thrice this season. This Dubs team is so unpredictable that they could genuinely miss out on 10th now

JPRouve

Scout
I have been so negative about D-Lo that I have to say this, he has been excellent as the leader of the second unit and as a closer. He isn't a good defender but offensively he is great, in particular in Finch's system.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Jokic wide open at the 3 while there's Boogie and Kawhi guarding the paint.

Of course Rivers decides to drive in and get blocked :lol: that brainless feck

sport2793

Jokic wide open at the 3 while there's Boogie and Kawhi guarding the paint.

Of course Rivers decides to drive in and get blocked :lol: that brainless feck
Good to see playoff Paul show up just in time for the postseason. Useless player.

Revan

Assumptionman
Steph playing the best basketball in his career? Of course, he didn't start as strong the season, and cannot get MVP playing for the 8th best team in the West (Jokic will deservedly get it), but he has been fecking awesome in the last 30 games or so.

Revan

Assumptionman
What is people's team of the year? I would go with: Curry, Doncic, Giannis, Embiid, Jokic (MVP).

Lillard probably instead of Doncic, but that's the only debatable position IMO. Gobert potentially defensive player of the year (but Giannis and Simmons have a shot there too).

Last edited:

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
What is people's team of the year? I would go with: Curry, Doncic, Giannis, Embiid, Jokic (MVP).

Lillard probably instead of Doncic, but that's the only debatable position IMO. Gobert potentially defensive player of the year (but Giannis and Simmons have a shot there too).
I see no reason why Lillard should be in there instead of Doncic, to be honest. Apart from that, I agree, but it won't be the All-NBA-Team. They always have two guards, two forwards and only once center, so only one of Embiid and Jokic can make it in there.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State

I think you could make a pretty good argument for Luka as a point forward. With that in mind I've got:

Steph Curry,
Chris Paul,
Luka Doncic,
Giannis Antetokounmpo,
Nikola Jokic.

I think, Steph, Giannis and Joker should be no brainers. The others there is some debate.

Zen

If the Suns hold out at the top, Paul's gotta make it for me.... I mean him and Booker should come as a tandem, but that's asking too much and you can't give it Booker over him in my opinion, you could argue it, but CP3's never getting his (sorry Kobe, but it's true) robbed MVP back in a return career vote, so giving him a potential last dance in the first team all-nba which he more or less deserves is fine by me.

I essentially agree with the above team though. Though I wouldn't begrudge Randle in for Doncic too, but that's reaching. Hopefully he can beat out a superstar who's missed a bit to make the second team though - but I'm certain he won't, if Embiid is good enough to make it with the amount he's played, so are LeBron, Harden etc really.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Pelicans pulled it out. Curry was shot by the end of the back to back. With all the players out that 8 man rotation is a killer. At least the 37 points adds to his scoring average. Anyway done with road games and the Warriors finish up the schedule with 6 at home.

Come on you Dubs.

Last edited:

ThierryHenry

Loved the last two Nets - Bucks games, will make for an excellent series. I’m also convinced they’re the two best teams in the East, and unless they tire each other out completely in a seven game series, the winner will go on to the finals.