NBA 2022-2023

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Huge win. Poole really came to life in that 4th quarter.
Really scrapped to win that one. Didn't expect it when we were down 11 at start of 4th.

Dubs were +20 when Steph was on the court and -12 when he sat.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Mavs lose at home to Charlotte even with Luka and Kyrie. They're out of the play in spot now as well :lol:

ZDwyr

Had no answers for AD unfortunately. Can't wait for Chet next season.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Glad to see Miller had a horrific night. The only court he should be visiting is a legal one. Has no business being in the tournament.
Wasn’t his involvement in that crime somewhat ambiguous? Or even less clear cut than that. As far as I remember he basically drove the gun over to the owner prior to the events but would have most likely not known what was about to unfold. I don’t know the exact details but the fact he wasn’t prosecuted probably means there’s very little evidence of his involvement.

His on court introduction routine that I saw the other day was in very poor taste though.

Sarni

Mavs lose at home to Charlotte even with Luka and Kyrie. They're out of the play in spot now as well :lol:
Kyrie will almost certainly be gone if they don’t make the playoffs. Were they not like 2-3 games over .500 when he joined?

Think it will be between them, Pelicans and OKC for 9 and 10. Lakers and Minnesota should be pulling away now and Warriors have probably just about secured 6th spot for them. I reckon whoever gets through to the decider to play against the loser of Lakers v Wolves will lose that game anyway though.

Maybe Dallas could take on Wolves but it’s such a horrible matchup with their lack of bigs v Gobert & Towns that I wouldn’t fancy them at all.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Wasn’t his involvement in that crime somewhat ambiguous? Or even less clear cut than that. As far as I remember he basically drove the gun over to the owner prior to the events but would have most likely not known what was about to unfold. I don’t know the exact details but the fact he wasn’t prosecuted probably means there’s very little evidence of his involvement.

His on court introduction routine that I saw the other day was in very poor taste though.
He drove a gun in the middle of the night to a friend he knew had been drinking and was asking for it quickly. What the feck did he think his friend wanted it for? To donate to the Salvation Army? As far as I’m concerned he is complicit in that murder. This is the wrong thread for this discussion, so I’ll stop here.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Think it will be between them, Pelicans and OKC for 9 and 10. Lakers and Minnesota should be pulling away now and Warriors have probably just about secured 6th spot for them. I reckon whoever gets through to the decider to play against the loser of Lakers v Wolves will lose that game anyway though.
I think the Dubs have a pretty decent shot at the 4th seed. They have 4 home games (Wolves, Pels, Spurs and OKC) which are all winnable and of their 3 road games (Nuggets, Kings and Blazers), 2 of them are at a point in the season where the Kings will probably have already secured the 3 seed and are resting everybody and the Blazers have packed it in.

ZDwyr

Yeah it looks like Portland have gone full shut down. The correct decision. Would like to see them jump Houston or Detroit in the lottery.

Sarni

Yeah it looks like Portland have gone full shut down. The correct decision. Would like to see them jump Houston or Detroit in the lottery.
Yeah we will maybe win 1 or 2 games between now and the end of season, that’s all. As for the draft, we have to aim for no. 1, anything lower and we are trading the pick IMO.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Kyrie and Luke a combined 17/44 from the field.... but hey, Luka scored 40 so GOAT.

Kidding aside ( ;) ), Luka still has a long way to go to get to the LeBron/MJ/Kobe/etc. level some claim he is at now. It's scary how good he already is, but there is another level he needs to get to and it is a level very few have been able to achieve.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
How are the mavs going to deal without Irving next year? Do they have picks or any player to trade?

ExoduS

I hope Luka didn't agree to Irving being brought to Dallas. Teams bringing Irving is a recipe for disaster.

Luka needs to join Jokic in Denver somehow so two fat Balkan boys can dominate NBA.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Kyrie and Luke a combined 17/44 from the field.... but hey, Luka scored 40 so GOAT.

Kidding aside ( ;) ), Luka still has a long way to go to get to the LeBron/MJ/Kobe/etc. level some claim he is at now. It's scary how good he already is, but there is another level he needs to get to and it is a level very few have been able to achieve.
Luka was 12/29 (2 of which were desperate 3 pointers towards the end) of that while Kyrie was 5-16 (11-31 over the last two games), a bit disengenous to combine both as an argument against Luka as Luka did quite well in the fourth quarter.

That being said, Luka obviously isn't on the level of MJ, Kobe or peak LeBron yet and I don't know who would say that right now. He has the trajectory to be though. He's been broken mentally this season I think with the horrible decisions the management has taken, with failing to keep Brunson to letting go of Dodo and Dimwiddie for Kyrie for rent.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Luka was 12/29 (2 of which were desperate 3 pointers towards the end) of that while Kyrie was 5-16 (11-31 over the last two games), a bit disengenous to combine both as an argument against Luka as Luka did quite well in the fourth quarter.

That being said, Luka obviously isn't on the level of MJ, Kobe or peak LeBron yet and I don't know who would say that right now. He has the trajectory to be though. He's been broken mentally this season I think with the horrible decisions the management has taken, with failing to keep Brunson to letting go of Dodo and Dimwiddie for Kyrie for rent.
Ok, so 12/27. Amazing!
Seriously though, this is not a Luka shitpost, I think he’s a top 10 player and someone I love to watch. He’s been undoubtedly failed by management, but the path to the next level requires a deep playoff run, if not a title, to enter. This thread is filled with “will average 40” and “easily best player” references. He won’t and he isn’t, but he could be. I’m not sure he can do it in Dallas, but I thought the same of Dirk and Giannis in Milwaukee , so I’m probably wrong.

Zen

Luka's already clear of Kobe. Give him Shaq and he's going 5 in a row without blowing it up.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Ok, so 12/27. Amazing!
Seriously though, this is not a Luka shitpost, I think he’s a top 10 player and someone I love to watch. He’s been undoubtedly failed by management, but the path to the next level requires a deep playoff run, if not a title, to enter. This thread is filled with “will average 40” and “easily best player” references. He won’t and he isn’t, but he could be. I’m not sure he can do it in Dallas, but I thought the same of Dirk and Giannis in Milwaukee , so I’m probably wrong.
They did go through to the conference finals last year after upsetting the number 1 seed, that was an amazing performance from him there. But it's difficult to get back there when they lose their number 2 for nothing, it'll be even more difficult now with their best defender gone for essentially nothing (Kyrie definitely won't re-sign). Don't see Mavs making any deep run for a while, have to build their team all over again.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
He drove a gun in the middle of the night to a friend he knew had been drinking and was asking for it quickly. What the feck did he think his friend wanted it for? To donate to the Salvation Army? As far as I’m concerned he is complicit in that murder. This is the wrong thread for this discussion, so I’ll stop here.
What's the right thread for this conversation? :D

I agree that what he did was incredibly stupid and morally in the red. That said he lives in a gun crazy state... And i don't believe in holding athletes to higher standards than I would an average member of the public. He'll get sued civilly i imagine.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
What's the right thread for this conversation? :D

I agree that what he did was incredibly stupid and morally in the red. That said he lives in a gun crazy state... And i don't believe in holding athletes to higher standards than I would an average member of the public. He'll get sued civilly i imagine.
fair enough on the thread :)
I am absolutely not holding him to a different standard. 100% I would be fired if I did what he did and it got back to my company. I am in a customer facing role and no way they keep me if I am complicit in the murder of someone. Also 100% I would not hire someone to my team under similar circ

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Well Kobe is not at the same level as Jordan and Lebron, and more at the Shaq, Duncan and Steph level.

Luka can get to the latter level, though his mentality is nowhere near Kobe, Duncan and Steph .
I agree on all points, my point is he’s not there yet. Has the talent to get there, and maybe even test the Kareem/Magic/Bird waters. Not sure he can reach LeBron and no one is ever reaching MJ in my lifetime, if ever.

ZDwyr

Well Kobe is not at the same level as Jordan and Lebron, and more at the Shaq, Duncan and Steph level.

Luka can get to the latter level, though his mentality is nowhere near Kobe, Duncan and Steph .
I think Steph is a notch above Kobe, too, personally.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I think Steph is a notch above Kobe, too, personally.
Disagree, but I admit I’m biased as a laker fan who got to watch Kobe’s entire career, even in person a few lucky times. MJ was the only other guy I’ve seen who brought that combination of skill (greater in MJ’s favor ) and intensity. Both of them would absolutely torch the current NBA with the way the rules are and the game is reffed.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
I think the Dubs have a pretty decent shot at the 4th seed. They have 4 home games (Wolves, Pels, Spurs and OKC) which are all winnable and of their 3 road games (Nuggets, Kings and Blazers), 2 of them are at a point in the season where the Kings will probably have already secured the 3 seed and are resting everybody and the Blazers have packed it in.
So much for that.

Sarni

How are the mavs going to deal without Irving next year? Do they have picks or any player to trade?
He might stay. They will have to do everything in their power to keep him which probably means offering him a full max at maximum length.

Sarni

Gotta pity the fool who does that.
They mortgaged everything on him less than two months ago, now is not the time to backtrack from that and go into full rebuild mode which would be inevitable if they let him go. Offer him anything less than full max and he will feel gravely offended and won’t even sit down to negotiate with you. Curiously, I reckon a team that doesn’t have Irving on a roster has a better chance to get him on a favorable deal as he won’t approach them with the same mindset of demanding appreciation for his services. With Dallas, he will want them to fully recognize his talents as he has played for them. To put it simply, I could see him sign for another team at $25m a year but not with Dallas.

If you can surround them both with good defenders at 3, 4 and 5 this might still work and get them back into playoffs next year. You need to do that or else you risk losing Doncic in a couple of years.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
They mortgaged everything on him less than two months ago, now is not the time to backtrack from that and go into full rebuild mode which would be inevitable if they let him go. Offer him anything less than full max and he will feel gravely offended and won’t even sit down to negotiate with you. Curiously, I reckon a team that doesn’t have Irving on a roster has a better chance to get him on a favorable deal as he won’t approach them with the same mindset of demanding appreciation for his services. With Dallas, he will want them to fully recognize his talents as he has played for them. To put it simply, I could see him sign for another team at $25m a year but not with Dallas.

If you can surround them both with good defenders at 3, 4 and 5 this might still work and get them back into playoffs next year. You need to do that or else you risk losing Doncic in a couple of years.
Yeah Dallas are stuck between a rock and a hard place. I'm in the rebuild camp but like you say kyrie will leave for sure and Doncic might not resign. Rather than be a trash playoff team with Kyrie though, I'd rather chance it in the draft and build the team through smart free agency deals.

JPRouve

Scout
He might stay. They will have to do everything in their power to keep him which probably means offering him a full max at maximum length.
The question was based on the "might", he is one of the few players that I could see reject a max contract and Dallas being maybe dysfunctional could be one. Otherwise I agree with the points you made in the following post, Dallas should try their best to keep him.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
The thing about Dallas is that I really don’t understand how it can be that hard to surround Doncic with some 3 and D players. It’s not like they need superstars around him. He’s Ball dominant anyway and basically runs the show. Surround him with defenders who can shoot and you have already done enough to make the playoffs.
Instead they break the bank for the moron that is Kyrie. It just doesn’t make sense. Their whole recruiting doesn’t make sense. Terrible management.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Steph is comfortably a top-10 all time player right now while Kobe is on the fence (could be included, definitely could be left off as well).

West playoffs are gonna be fun and so unpredictable. Anyone's guess who's going all the way, but I'd still favor the Bucks (and Celtics) over them in a Finals series unless the Warriors or Suns suddenly get on a hot streak.

JPRouve

Scout
The thing about Dallas is that I really don’t understand how it can be that hard to surround Doncic with some 3 and D players. It’s not like they need superstars around him. He’s Ball dominant anyway and basically runs the show. Surround him with defenders who can shoot and you have already done enough to make the playoffs.
Instead they break the bank for the moron that is Kyrie. It just doesn’t make sense. Their whole recruiting doesn’t make sense. Terrible management.
3 and D players are the most in demand ones, it's the most difficult thing to provide.