NBA 2022-2023

ExoduS

That’s my point. They’re making shit up just to justify not giving Jokic the MVP when he has had a better year than Embiid.
I agree that the "rule" isn't really a rule. It is definitely made up, but it was not made up this year. It was made up long time ago as players like Kobe, Lebron and even Jordan were robbed of MVP for less impactful players. It is all good. It is better not to win MVP but shine in playoffs than the alternative.

Last edited:

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
He was pretty empathic in his blame of Embiid and Harden on Twitter. I think he said Doc will eventually get all the blame when his stars did nothing.

I'm always surprised why Tobias Harris never gets more attention, the guy is on a max contract and is no where close to being an all star. One of the worst contacts right now.
The criticism was done years ago tbh, there ain't much else to say

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I agree that the "rule" isn't really a rule. It is definitely made up, but it was not made up this year. It was made up long time ago as players like Kobe, Lebron and even Jordan were robbed of MVP for less impactful players. It is all good. It is better not to win MVP but shine in playoffs than the alternative.

Yeah the MVP award has grown in stature over the years (not that it was ever unimportant, I just feel there's more focus on it now) when truth is playoffs is what matters. Even disregarding winning the chip because that's obvious, I guess most regular season MVPs would want to make it to Conference finals ahead of getting the individual award, though I may be wrong considering how self-absorbed some of them are.

ZDwyr

Yeah the MVP award has grown in stature over the years (not that it was ever unimportant, I just feel there's more focus on it now) when truth is playoffs is what matters. Even disregarding winning the chip because that's obvious, I guess most regular season MVPs would want to make it to Conference finals ahead of getting the individual award, though I may be wrong considering how self-absorbed some of them are.
I can tell you what Embiid's preference would be.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
In theory if you win the MVP award it's easier to throw teammates and coaches under the bus, so I get where he is coming from.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
In theory if you win the MVP award it's easier to throw teammates and coaches under the bus, so I get where he is coming from.
I don't think Joel had a problem with buses, MVP or no MVP.

JPRouve

Scout

This is pretty damning of Embiid.
I like to look at NBA stats and if I'm not mistaken it's not just scoring leaders. I would have to check it carefully but it's also unlikely for an all star caliber player, these players get to a higher level during the playoffs.

In fact Embiid only maintained is per 36 averages one season in 19/20 where he actually improved them, every other seasons his post season stats are worse.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Draft lottery tonight - let's see who gets Wemby.

I hope he goes to San Antonio.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Draft lottery tonight - let's see who gets Wemby.

I hope he goes to San Antonio.
Exactly. If there is one team in the NBA that has never had any luck in the lottery to get a shot at a generational big man it is the plucky little Spurs. :wenger:

I hope Portland gets the pick just to see the media meltdown as they try and trade that pick for them.

JPRouve

Scout
Look at him go to Nola and end up being injury prone.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
If it's Portland he's getting a career ending injury before he even plays a game, as we all know. So let's hope it's not

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
If it's Portland he's getting a career ending injury before he even plays a game, as we all know. So let's hope it's not
You know, I was going to write a snarky comeback, but I got sucked down a basketball reference rabbit hole and good god! Forget injuries, the TB's draft history is littered with the corpses of some of the all time big men busts:

1972: LaRue Martin (1st overall pick, only played 4 years)
1974: Bill Walton (1st overall, had a left foot made of pipe cleaners and paper mache)
1984: Sam Bowie (2nd overall, uhm....MJ/Chuck/Stockton drafted after him)
1986: Sabonis (24th overall. Took a decade to figure out a way past the iron curtain)
2007: Greg Oden (1st overall, his body was actually as old as he looked, even if he wasn't)
2012: Myers Leonard (11th overall, possible career ending injury due to inserting foot into mouth)

Sarni

Exactly. If there is one team in the NBA that has never had any luck in the lottery to get a shot at a generational big man it is the plucky little Spurs. :wenger:

I hope Portland gets the pick just to see the media meltdown as they try and trade that pick for them.
:lol:

I liked the first part and liked the second part even better as a Portland fan, as I'm convinced we'd actually try to package that pick for a random player that won't really get us anywhere, and I'll just end up super frustrated. My bet would be on no. 1 for Siakam. If it's any lower, we will package it with Sharpe/Simons for a similar player and I'll probably be just as annoyed. Sharpe has the potential to become our SGA, i.e. a player we trade for someone that quite quickly becomes better than that player and is a foundational piece for another team.

I wouldn't even be shocked to see us trade no. 1 for Mikal Bridges and spare parts. The delusion about being able to build a contender around Dame by just adding mid-level decent talent is super strong. Get a couple of decent wings and yay we will win 65 games and go 16-1 in the playoffs, because the team is so awesome otherwise.

Towns is another player I can see ourselves steering towards. Like no. 1, Sharpe, Simons and all future unprotected picks straight up for him. We are also probably Minnesota's only shot at recouping their value for Gobert. Pretty sure we'd trade no. 1 and Simons for him too.

Sarni

You know, I was going to write a snarky comeback, but I got sucked down a basketball reference rabbit hole and good god! Forget injuries, the TB's draft history is littered with the corpses of some of the all time big men busts:

1974: Bill Walton (1st overall, had a left foot made of pipe cleaners and paper mache)
1986: Sabonis (24th overall. Took a decade to figure out a way past the iron curtain)
2007: Greg Oden (1st overall, his body was actually as old as he looked, even if he wasn't)
2012: Myers Leonard (11th overall, possible career ending injury due to inserting foot into mouth)
:lol:

What is this guy even doing now, modelling?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid

Walton at least won them a title

Sabonis was about to suffer the devastating leg injuries that sapped him of his athleticism and remains one of the biggest what ifs in the sports history :( by all accounts he was the most talented player of the 80s after MJ...

Anyways, Wenby is, I think, something revolutionary that can only be stopped from dominating the next decade and a half by injuries, the TB obviously can't ever hit on a big man draft pick, so career ending injury it is :D

Sarni

He signed with the Bucks. Unlike some others coughKYRIEcough, he actually took concrete steps to better himself and understand the scourge of anti-semitism:

https://aish.com/after-nba-star-meyers-leonard-got-cancelled-for-making-an-antisemitic-slur/
I think his behavior was just pure lack of good judgment with no malice and did not stem from his beliefs. He just wasn’t aware of the extent to which his behavior was wrong. It’s not like Kyrie who genuinely adopted those beliefs and attempted to spread them.

The league had zero patience for him though because he is just not very good at basketball. The whole debacle would have been swept under the rug if it was a player of substantial ability or even mildly noticeable talent.

JPRouve

Scout
Everyone is firing their coaches and the Wolves are out here doing nothing.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
It’s so funny to have an actual event to celebrate all the teams that sucked the hardest with many of them intentionally losing games. Just wild

Last edited:

R'hllor

One woooo was enough after 2nd, wish other 3 would stand up and start kicking shit out of that muppet.

R'hllor

Every single soul is in plus and here comes Jeff forever minus Green, feck off Malone

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
It goes against the fundamental idea of rewarding the winners
This post popped in my head that the best way to encourage teams to try is to invert the lottery. The non playoff teams with the best record, including the play in teams, have the best odds.

edcunited1878

Big first half for Denver. It's only game 1 but seems like Lakers are having to adjust to the altitude and AD is getting dominated on the boards by Joker. Dude has 6 offensive boards compared to ADs 2 total rebounds.

edcunited1878

This post popped in my head that the best way to encourage teams to try is to invert the lottery. The non playoff teams with the best record, including the play in teams, have the best odds.
But it's all about parity and helping teams develop through the draft. It'll never go back as Draft for all American sports is a lifeline for franchises.

If you didn't make the playoffs, you get an equal chance at number 1. Just one hat, 15 or whatever logos/teams and someone just draws a logo at pure random. That would be chaos and just pure luck, which is what a draft lottery should be about.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Denvers offense has been ridiculous. You see why they've been the best team in the west all year.

edcunited1878

Lakers closing out the 3rd well and are still in the game going into the 4th. One run makes it a manageable single digit deficit.

See who can close the game out better and lock down on defense.