NBA 2023-2024

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Compare the pair.

Both players will have their identities hidden, though for the sake of the threat let's just call player one Eoel Jmbiid, and player two Jicola Nokic.

These are the stats from the final two games in each series that Jmbiid (10 games) and Nokic (8 games) have played in from 2019 to date.

Player One:
Mins - 38.3
Points - 22.5
Boards - 9.9
Assists - 1.6
FG - 39.36% (7.4 / 18.8)
3pt - 25.58% (1.1 / 4.3)
FT - 80% (7.2 / 9.0)
TO's - 4.5 per game
Plus/Minus - minus 4.8 per game

Player Two:
Mins - 36.1
Points - 26.6
Boards - 12.4
Assists - 5.5
FG - 52.0% (10.4 / 20)
3pt - 37.2% (1.6 / 4.3)
FT - 77.8% (4.2 / 5.4)
TO's - 3 per game
Plus/Minus - Minus 0.80 per game

I shouldn't be surprised that the talking heads that used playoffs performances against Jokic, despite the fact Jokic had stepped up in every playoff run to date, whilst simultaneously and un-ironically championing Embiid. They are morons after all, though it still infuriates me.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Only one game but Leonard Miller does look like a top 15 draft pick which is nice. While Minotti keeping looking a steal. Wendell Moore is a bit disappointing though.

Edit: Though I have to share Miller's awful shooting form. :lol:

He is going to be a good player, I was surprised to see him drop that low but probably yet another case of teams above drafting for need more specifically than talent, which happens quite frequently once you go past certain pick number.

Was almost as strange as Cam Whitmore dropping to 20 but that particular one was probably because all of top 10 teams had different targets and once it’d gone past that teams in 11-19 range did not really scout him properly (thinking he was not going to be there) and would not have known what was going on with him dropping. Quite a peculiar turn of events.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He is going to be a good player, I was surprised to see him drop that low but probably yet another case of teams above drafting for need more specifically than talent, which happens quite frequently once you go past certain pick number.

Was almost as strange as Cam Whitmore dropping to 20 but that particular one was probably because all of top 10 teams had different targets and once it’d gone past that teams in 11-19 range did not really scout him properly (thinking he was not going to be there) and would not have known what was going on with him dropping. Quite a peculiar turn of events.
My guess is that like Minott, Miller was too raw and lacked experienced against the best highschool and college players and scouts have held that against him. Though the interesting part that I have seen mentioned is how he drastically improved last season with the Ignite, currently he looks like a good finisher around the rim, potentially an elite rebounder and he moves very well for someone of his size.

It's probably fanciful but I could see him as a poor man's version of Mobley.

Zen

Not gonna lie, thought this tournament thing was a pre-season thing. What a ridiculous and absurd concept, when you already have a bloated playoff system anyway.

Unless you are inviting a boat load of international teams and maybe some D-league to spice up the upsets a bit, what's the point? I mean even the D-league part comes with it's own obvious issues.

stepic

So Spurs have about 3 first round picks next year

one of them to take Bronny, and we see a LeBron Wemba combo for at least one year?

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...

one of them to take Bronny, and we see a LeBron Wemba combo for at least one year?
Spurs seem the least likely to do such simply for the PR stunt and player signing, but perhaps losing changes organizational culture. I think Spurs only draft Bronny if they truly rate him.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv

I also think it is well known that Popovich and LeBron love each other and would like to coach/be coached by the other so in amongst all the PR business it could be the thing that kick starts them back towards the playoffs.

sport2793

Not gonna lie, thought this tournament thing was a pre-season thing. What a ridiculous and absurd concept, when you already have a bloated playoff system anyway.

Unless you are inviting a boat load of international teams and maybe some D-league to spice up the upsets a bit, what's the point? I mean even the D-league part comes with it's own obvious issues.
It's no less dumb than the league cup and FA cup. All of these games apart from the final are a part of the 82 game regular season so it just adds a little spice to games that will already be played anyways. With regards to the criticism that East and West conference teams are still separated by groups, this has more to do with travel amount as the US is a big country, would be logistically dumb to have a team have to fly constantly between coasts, north, and south if that's how a group randomly ends up being drawn.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
If Jabari has developed some kind of handle, then that really expands the potential this kid has. He was bringing the ball up a lot against the Blazers which I thought was odd with Thompspn on the floor, but last night, without Thompson, he was basically the primary ball handler and playmaker and he looked damn good.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
I also think it is well known that Popovich and LeBron love each other and would like to coach/be coached by the other so in amongst all the PR business it could be the thing that kick starts them back towards the playoffs.
Doubt it. LeBron says a lot of things that he’s lying about just for the sake of PR.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Bronny... when it comes to him I wonder how much of it is talent and how much is all the other advantages plus his name. And if not for having the access to everything imaginable that has developed and molded him where would he be just on genetic talent? I figure he's clearly benefited from nutrition advantages, coaching advantages, fitness advantages, and more let alone his namesake.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Bronny... when it comes to him I wonder how much of it is talent and how much is all the other advantages plus his name. And if not for having the access to everything imaginable that has developed and molded him where would he be just on genetic talent? I figure he's clearly benefited from nutrition advantages, coaching advantages, fitness advantages, and more let alone his namesake.
The return on the PR stunt for the team signing him on a late lottery pick, rookie scale contract, will outweigh any doubt he does not belong in the league after his year 2? Anyway, Grant Williams seemed such a hopeless scrub in his rookie year and in spite of that he developed to such a commendable extent to get a 4x53 offer from Dallas. Then, the answer to your question about Bronny’s career: it will depend on the team drafting him.

JPRouve

Scout

I haven't watched the full episode yet but it seems pretty good, Haliburton sounds like a fun guy. Also I haven't seen a bad episode on PG's podcast, he is a pretty good host.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

I haven't watched the full episode yet but it seems pretty good, Haliburton sounds like a fun guy. Also I haven't seen a bad episode on PG's podcast, he is a pretty good host.
It’s a fantastic podcast. PG comes across super good. You get loads of behind the curtains info in each ep and he is kind of self deprecating which I like. This podcast is doing wonders for the perception people have of him. Hali is just a very likeable guy.

JPRouve

Scout
It’s a fantastic podcast. PG comes across super good. You get loads of behind the curtains info in each ep and he is kind of self deprecating which I like. This podcast is doing wonders for the perception people have of him. Hali is just a very likeable guy.
Yeah, PG seem to be down to earth, he doesn't take himself too seriously. I can't wait for an episode with Edwards, PG seems to love him.

Sarni

Siakam may apparently be on the trade block. What will be Raptors asking price? I think they may bring down their requirements with him only having a year left and let him go for four unprotected firsts, three unprotected swaps and two young players with All-Star potential.

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
Siakam may apparently be on the trade block. What will be Raptors asking price? I think they may bring down their requirements with him only having a year left and let him go for four unprotected firsts, three unprotected swaps and two young players with All-Star potential.
Would love him at the Knicks but sadly they'll stick with Randle..

Sarni

Would love him at the Knicks but sadly they'll stick with Randle..
I guess if you offer Randle, Barrett, Quickley, Grimes, four firsts and four swaps you may have a chance.

JPRouve

Scout
I guess if you offer Randle, Barrett, Quickley, Grimes, four firsts and four swaps you may have a chance.
You sound bitter on that topic and it doesn't suit you.:lol:

Sarni

You sound bitter on that topic and it doesn't suit you.:lol:
I find Masai weird. I used to consider him the best GM in the league when they won championship in 2019 but he’s gone a bit mad since. It’s quite astounding they got nothing for Lowry and FVV when it was clear they were going to lose them both. Fully expecting them to drive the price for Siakam and OG up to a similar extent and either resign them for crazy money or lose them for nothing. Then there’s that Poeltl deal. Poor management for the last 4 years.

JPRouve

Scout
:lol: He’s fuming but I would be too if I was forced to give up my future HoFer for a packet of crisps.
At least he isn't blaming Connelly's blunder with the Gobert trade, there is a lot of people linking Blazers' struggles with the Wolves overpay. :lol:

But on a seriousy note he is right about Masai and I would add Morey, they have been extremely strange in the past handful of years. At least when I look at Connelly's deals outside of the Gobert trade, I can see a quality GM but Masai is just losing assets left, right and center for nothing and he isn't even trading or drafting particularly well.

Sarni

:lol: He’s fuming but I would be too if I was forced to give up my future HoFer for a packet of crisps.
Nah I’m beginning to like the Heat deal. Seems it will be four first round picks + Jovic and maybe Jaquez. It’s not that bad.

Sarni

At least he isn't blaming Connelly's blunder with the Gobert trade, there is a lot of people linking Blazers' struggles with the Wolves overpay. :lol:

But on a seriousy note he is right about Masai and I would add Morey, they have been extremely strange in the past handful of years. At least when I look at Connelly's deals outside of the Gobert trade, I can see a quality GM but Masai is just losing assets left, right and center for nothing and he isn't even trading or drafting particularly well.
Morey has at least managed to salvage Simmons situation and turn him into Harden, I trust him to do well with the Harden trade eventually too. Masai seems to overrate his assets which leads to eventually not extracting any value out of them, it’s really bad for the franchise and reminds me a bit of Olshey.

Connelly has been good aside from the weird Gobert trade.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Just heard one of the most ridiculous sports "takes" I have ever listened to. One of the co-presenters on the Dan Le Batard show claimed that because a fan shouted out at the top of Mardy Fish's backswing at the American Century Golf Championship, Steph Curry should have hit his eagle put off the green into the water instead of trying for the win. He claimed that Curry going for the win was "classless."

Even Skip would not have come up with anything that dumb.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Draymond on another podcast speaking his "truth."

Sometimes I just wish he'd STFU.

JPRouve

Scout
I love the fact that many fans were losing it when Gobert declared that he would be at FIBA World Cup and now it seems that half of the main rotation is doing it.

Sarni

Horrific news about Bronny, glad he seems fine now but cardiac arrest at 18 is shocking. Could be done with the NBA career.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Yeah think he'll be done, but at least he's alive and wasn't banking on NBA for getting rich.

stepic

In other news, Jaylen Brown is getting $304m over 5 years. Richest deal in nba history

Zen

That's crazy mad about Bronny.... I just dunno, just wild really. Like given how insane his Dad is for the health and looking after his body/health, he's probably had a really great upbringing from a routine point of view and to happen at 18, quite scary.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
$60m a year for a player like Brown, fecking hell NBA money is crazy these days :lol:

What would you call him - he might reach the "good" tier but he's not even elite, a superstar or the #1 option on his team (doubt he'd be on any team).