NBA Thread 2013-2014

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
What makes Wade such an obvious choice?
I don't mean to disrespect your opinion, but first of all, shooting guards are more influential than point guards.

Second, Wade is one of the best guards of all time, and had he not been hit with injuries he would have had an even greater career. (He could have very well won that title in 2005 had it not been for his rib injury against the Pistons in game 5 or 6 iirc).

He also has proven himself to be able to lead a team to a championship. He didn't have a "great team" in 2006. Even Shaq was 32 and starting to decline. He willed his team to the championship like we rarely saw any other player do in the recent years. You can only compare him to Kobe, and imo Kobe had better teams.

Chris Paul is a great point guard, and a very good player, but a leader? I haven't seen that yet. He has a great team right now, can he will his team to some glory? If he can then may be the conversation can begin about him and Wade, even though I have to say, at the moment Griffin is considered the main man in the Clippers, and he might even be selected MVP if things go on the way it has gone in the regular season.

EDIT: and by the way, forgot to mention, Wade is a better defender imo than Chris Paul.

Last edited:

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
I don't mean to disrespect your opinion, but first of all, shooting guards are more influential than point guards.

Second, Wade is one of the best guards of all time, and had he not been hit with injuries he would have had an even greater career. (He could have very well won that title in 2005 had it not been for his rib injury against the Pistons in game 5 or 6 iirc).

He also has proven himself to be able to lead a team to a championship. He didn't have a "great team" in 2006. Even Shaq was 32 and starting to decline. He willed his team to the championship like we rarely saw any other player do in the recent years. You can only compare him to Kobe, and imo Kobe had better teams.

Chris Paul is a great point guard, and a very good player, but a leader? I haven't seen that yet. He has a great team right now, can he will his team to some glory? If he can then may be the conversation can begin about him and Wade, even though I have to say, at the moment Griffin is considered the main man in the Clippers, and he might even be selected MVP if things go on the way it has gone in the regular season.
Wade had a great supporting cast in 2006. Joe DeRosa, Bennett Salvatore and Crawford all stepped up big time.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
Over-time!

:lol: @ the commentator saying "why leave Perkins in? He's not an offensive player", ends up hitting the tying buzzer beater.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
Wow. What a game! Can't believe OKC still lost. Vert harsh on Durant.

Don't think it will have much impact on the series though.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever

EDIT: and by the way, forgot to mention, Wade is a better defender imo than Chris Paul.
Sam Jones (10 titles with the Celtics), George Gervin, Clyde Drexler, Dr. J, Paul Pierce, whichever of Clyde Frasier and Earl "The Pearl" Monroe you want to call the 2, Joe Dumars, John Havlicek...

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
Sam Jones (10 titles with the Celtics), George Gervin, Clyde Drexler, Dr. J, Paul Pierce, whichever of Clyde Frasier and Earl "The Pearl" Monroe you want to call the 2, Joe Dumars, John Havlicek...
Yup, he's definitely up there with them.

And by the way, Wade and Pierce played in the same era, so I can comfortably say that Wade is a better player than Pierce, and if I had to choose one of the two I'd definitely pick Wade.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
Clippers destroy the Warriors in game 2 with a 40-point blowout!

Griffin leading the way with 35 points (13 for 17!) in 30 minutes.

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
More points, more assists on better shooting percentage and less turnovers. He's obviously better offensively than Kidd and it isn't close.

Steve Nash has always been porous defensively, meanwhile Chris Paul is headed for his 4th All NBA Defensive 1st team selection in addition to two second teams.

As for why he hasn't gone so far...playing in a loaded conference with subpar teammates. He's only 28, at this age Jason Kidd was making his first finals appearance thanks to a horrible Eastern Conference and getting swept by the Lakers. At 28, Steve Nash was still the third wheel on a Dallas team that didn't make the finals.
But we're not talking about Kidd at 28, or Nash at 28. We're talking about the impact and legacy of Kidd, the impact and legacy of Nash, and the impact and legacy of Paul. Doesn't matter what Kidd or Nash achieved at a certain age, or what Paul may or may not achieve in the future. We don't rank players based on projected achievements or potential situations had this or that hadn't happened. If you're gonna make a case for Paul being better than Kidd or Nash, he'd better be better than them right now. All we know is what we've seen, and from what we've seen, Paul can't get it up once the regular season is over. If Chris Paul ever steps up in the post-season, then I will rethink my stance. He now has a really good team around him, including another superstar in Griffin. But until he does step up, nothing will change. However amazing your stats and skills are, if you can't ever get past the second round of the play-offs, then there's a major doubt in your place in history.

And lets not forget, even though Nash never won a ring, he at least got to the Conference Finals more than the once, with "subpar teammates" and playing in a "loaded conference".

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
Oh come on, give the Grizzlies some credit here, they were outstanding yesterday.

This series will go to 7 games. I'm sure of that.
Not saying otherwise. They were great, and the series could go to 7, but I just can't see them beating the Thunder.

My prediction before the start of the playoff was actually 4-2 Thunder. Even before the series started.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Not saying otherwise. They were great, and the series could go to 7, but I just can't see them beating the Thunder.

My prediction before the start of the playoff was actually 4-2 Thunder. Even before the series started.
Fair enough. I think the Thunder will squeak by in 7. I thought it would be sooner before yesterday's game.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
But we're not talking about Kidd at 28, or Nash at 28. We're talking about the impact and legacy of Kidd, the impact and legacy of Nash, and the impact and legacy of Paul. Doesn't matter what Kidd or Nash achieved at a certain age, or what Paul may or may not achieve in the future. We don't rank players based on projected achievements or potential situations had this or that hadn't happened. If you're gonna make a case for Paul being better than Kidd or Nash, he'd better be better than them right now. All we know is what we've seen, and from what we've seen, Paul can't get it up once the regular season is over. If Chris Paul ever steps up in the post-season, then I will rethink my stance. He now has a really good team around him, including another superstar in Griffin. But until he does step up, nothing will change. However amazing your stats and skills are, if you can't ever get past the second round of the play-offs, then there's a major doubt in your place in history.

And lets not forget, even though Nash never won a ring, he at least got to the Conference Finals more than the once, with "subpar teammates" and playing in a "loaded conference".

brb going to go find a wall to bang my head against

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
brb going to go find a wall to bang my head against
Not so hard though, I have a feeling you'll be doing it more when Chris Paul doesn't make the Conference Finals again.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
Not so hard though, I have a feeling you'll be doing it more when Chris Paul doesn't make the Conference Finals again.
If they don't then it will be a big failure for Paul imo, because he's not even the best player on the team right now.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Preseason preditions:

It seems free agency is just about done, so I thought I'd ask everyone to post their top 8 from each conference.

East
1. Miami
2. Chicago
3. Indiana
4. Brooklyn
5. New York
6. Atlanta
7. Boston
8. Washington

West
1. Oklahoma City
2. San Antonio
3. Clippers
4. Golden State
5. Denver
6. Memphis
7. Houston
8. Dallas
East
1)Miami
2)Indiana
3)Chicago
4)Brooklyn
5)New York
6)Atlanta
7)Washington
8)Milwaukee

West
1)San Antonio
2)Oklahoma
3)Memphis
4)Clippers
5)Houston
6)Golden State
7)Denver
8)Dallas
East
1. Miami
2. Chicago
3. Brooklyn
4. Indiana
5. New York
6. Atlanta
7. Washington
8. Milwaukee

West
1. Oklahoma City
2. San Antonio
3. Houston
4. Clippers
5. Golden State
6. Memphis
7. Denver
8. Dallas
It all depends on Wade's knees for me. Lebron can't do it alone.

East
1. Miami
2. Chicago
3. Indiana
4. New York
5. Brooklyn
6. Cleveland
7. Atlanta
8. Detroit

West
1. Oklahoma City
2. San Antonio
3. Memphis
4. Clippers
5. Rockets
6. Golden State
7. Denver
8. Minnesota

The West is too tight. I think the top 3 teams are a lock, after that it's a crap shoot.​
East
1. Miami
2. Brooklyn
3. Chicago
4. Indiana
5. New York
6. Cleveland
7. Detroit

8. Atlanta

West

1. San Antonio
2. Oklahoma City
3. Golden State
4. Houston
5. Los Angeles
6. Memphis
7. Portland
8. Minnesota

We all made at least 1 terrible prediction :lol:

AR87

In regards to the CP3 discussion earlier I think he's a great player that's overrated. He puts up better offensive numbers than many of the great point guards, but his style of play lends itself to that. He dominates the offense completely when he's playing which is going to lead to him putting up great assist numbers and shooting numbers as well. It is interesting to note that the Clippers went 13-7 without him this season during one of the more difficult stretches of their schedule. They need Paul to win and while he's the unquestioned best player and first option on the team he needs to defer more often to Blake Griffin at times. If the Clippers lose again in the first round this season he will be facing a ton of criticism.

Defensively he's not even on the same level as Jason Kidd was in his prime. Kidd was a big point guard with the quickness to stay in front of opposing point guards and big enough to shift over and be comfortable defending most shooting guards in the league. Kidd was as good as Paul at playing passing lanes to get steals, but was infinitely better as a help defender and as a man to man defender. Paul has routinely been destroyed by Tony Parker, Russell Westbrook, Deron Williams and other elite point guards in his time in the league. Kidd had the benefit of playing in an era with fewer great point guards, but even when matched up against them held them below their averages.

Paul is a good defensive player, but his selections to All-NBA First Team Defenses are akin to footballing awards given to high profile players over deserving ones. Kobe Bryant has a number of First Team Defense selections later in his career that he had no business being a part of but was selected for due to his reputation. This year Lowry, Conley, Beverley and Hinrich are all better starting defensive pg's. Reggie Jackson is also a better defensive player, but has moved back to the bench since Westbrook came back for OKC.

In regards to where Dwyane Wade ranks as an all time shooting guard I think when his career is over he'll be ranked as the 4th best shooting guard of all time behind Jordan, Kobe and West who is criminally underrated by people today. West was one of the toughest players ever in a much more physical era in the NBA. He is one of the 5 most clutch players in the history of the league, respected universally by his peers and is literally the logo of the NBA. He is the only player in the history of the NBA to be named Finals MVP when his Lakers lost in 1969 to the Celtics.

Wade's peak years from 2006-2010 were fantastic as one of the most complete players in the game capable of excelling in all phases of the game scoring, passing, rebounding and defending. From 2010 onwards when teamed up with Lebron he has visibly declined in his ability to consistently dominate and take over games. He was still an invaluable member on these last 2 championship teams, but he was clearly second fiddle to Lebron. Health seems to have slowed him down a bit so that while he is still a top-5 player at his position he has to be managed very carefully by the coaching staff to ensure his health and he also rarely maxes out except for big games and late game situations.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
Home teams (who are seeded higher as well) are 7 and 9 through the first 2 games of the playoffs. And it could have been worse had Al Jefferson not hurt his foot.

Still expect the higher seeded teams to go through (apart from Houston and Chicago), but we might see many close series in the first round.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
So Lebron had his nose broken earlier this year, and now this (which was only called a common foul (!!), although I'm pretty sure the league will change it when they review it).

Yes McRoberts, we know you're just a coward scrub who can only stop James this way.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
So you can't even elbow a guy in the throat anymore? What is this sport coming to?
Basketball? Fake "tough" guys can always go play kickboxing, wrestling, or somewhere where his "toughness" can actually be tested.

I don't think he can take James' elbow in his throat if James really wanted to hit him, but James doesn't do that, because he doesn't suck at Basketball.