NBA Thread 2013-2014

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
ESPN have been doing plenty of Jordan vs Lebron comparisons. They did the same with Kobe vs Jordan as well when Kobe was in his prime. It's something that has been discussed as debatable despite plenty favouring Jordan.
Fair enough.

May I add as an addendum, I'm not comfortable with using people using rings to define individual greatness.

Skills

Snitch
That's 5 for Tim Duncan now. I heard he halved his salary a few years ago so they could add/retain players for them to win more championships. Its paid off.

Jerch

Seeing Duncan winning this year is so precious to me. Being fan of Spurs since 1999 when i was watching this team playing against Knicks when Tim was young new basketball player and seeing this today 15 years later. It's really incredible.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
The Spurs are just a fantastic organization from top to bottom. They played at such a ridiculously high level, especially in Miami. They're going to be right in the mix again next year, and Leonard will be one of the best players in the league.

Shinjisan

Account closed by request
Couldn't have happened to a better set of guys. Chuffed for the Spurs.

If Jordan defined the dominance of one man in a team sport, these Spurs define the beauty of team work and belief in each other. To comeback from a devastating loss last season to win in such fashion was fabulous to watch. Sometimes the NBA can be good.

Jordan would have never allowed his team to drop to such low levels. One of the worst final performances in recent times from Miami.

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.
I hope the Heat are blown up now and Lebron doesn't have much success with his next 2-3 free spend fantasy teams.

Shinjisan

Account closed by request
I hope the Heat are blown up now and Lebron doesn't have much success with his next 2-3 free spend fantasy teams.
He would regain a lot of respect if he goes back to Cleveland and wins with them. He got his titles playing with his mates, now it's time to go back to his city and end their title draught. That would surely etch is name is history, without anyone having the gall to question it. I hope he goes back.

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.
He would regain a lot of respect if he goes back to Cleveland and wins with them. He got his titles playing with his mates, now it's time to go back to his city and end their title draught. That would surely etch is name is history, without anyone having the gall to question it. I hope he goes back.
They burned effigies of him and his jersey. I'm not sure that him returning would go so swimmingly.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
The fortunate break for LeBron, if he indeed went back to Cleveland, would be that the East is so atrocious, the Cavs would probably be the best side out there. Or at least in the mix with Indiana, Washington, and Chicago.

If he went West, the East would be worse than atrocious.

Jerch

Lebron didn't want to asnwer the question if he will be at Miami next season. After his talk in may that he won't leave Miami that speaks for itself. Maybe he realised that Miami team is not as good as he thought and all is coming to an end for that team.

It will be interesting if the keep Bosh, Wade and Lebron and add Carmelo they will be favorites. If Lebron is gone the Miami is gone.

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.
Lebron didn't want to asnwer the question if he will be at Miami next season. After his talk in may that he won't leave Miami that speaks for itself. Maybe he realised that Miami team is not as good as he thought and all is coming to an end for that team.

It will be interesting if the keep Bosh, Wade and Lebron and add Carmelo they will be favorites. If Lebron is gone the Miami is gone.
Melo stated his interest in the Bulls :devil: and the Rockets

Hamadovich86

Congratulations to the Spurs absolutely well deserved. I have to admit at the start of the season I thought the Heat would 3peat and we would never hear the end of the Lebron/Jordan comparisons. I thought they would do so much better in the series but it goes to show you that winning 3 championships in a row is no easy feat. I suspect that the Heat band may breakup next season but we'll see about that.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
I love the Spurs all the more for keeping the Heat from winning 3 straight. What a classy organization, and Popovich is an unquestioned master. He may be the best we've ever seen, people like Phil Jackson and Red Auerbach had the very best players in the world at their disposal, unlike Pop.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
The fortunate break for LeBron, if he indeed went back to Cleveland, would be that the East is so atrocious, the Cavs would probably be the best side out there. Or at least in the mix with Indiana, Washington, and Chicago.

Add in a genuine superstar in Irving and No.1 pick in the best draft since LeBron, and the Cavs would have a serious shot next year, if LeBron went back obviously.

Zen

LeBron would turn any team into a top 4 seed. Indiana prob top 1.

Give me Love at the Bulls plz.

Skills

Snitch
I don't know why he or anyone of Lebron's talents would ever go to the Cavs. They seem to be ran by idiots, and they'll probably blow another number 1 draft pick.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees

If he and Melo went Wesr, Silver might actually do something about the farce about the disparity between the |West and East playoffs team. One can only hope he'll do it by top 16 teams making the playoffs.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
If he and Melo went Wesr, Silver might actually do something about the farce about the disparity between the |West and East playoffs team. One can only hope he'll do it by top 16 teams making the playoffs.
I personally would prefer to just see a one table setup and seed clubs accordingly. Get rid of this East/West crap.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
They can't afford to have a team if they signed him with Kobe's massive contract taking a chunk of it.
[/QUOTE]

They are getting a lot of contracts off the books, Gasol and Howard's space in the budget are gone, that's big money.

Not sure if I want them to go with the 'Big 3' model anyway though.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
I think the problem the Heat are going to have is an unwillingness to let Wade go.

If they could bring in a young player who is excellent at offense and defense for the aging Wade then they would be ahead of the game.

But Wade has always been a Heat and they'll want to let him retire as a Heat. Like with Kobe they'll probably be forced to pay him more than he's really worth on the court.

If they could turn Wade or Bosh into Paul George or anther two-way star then I think they could continue to use veterans willing to play for less to fill the holes. But they need to use those 5 mil and 2.5 mil exceptions to bring in another Mike Miller.

Brown Toothpick

Supports
FC Barcelona
Who do you think will get drafted by the Lakers? Most people expect Randall to be the pick, though I think Marcus Smart will be available then.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Who do you think will get drafted by the Lakers? Most people expect Randall to be the pick, though I think Marcus Smart will be available then.
I only watch the Hoosiers for college ball, though I tend to hear a bit about the top players or read something about a few of them at least. But I can't really give a good assessment of any of these guys besides Vonleh, who I'm not a huge fan of. He'll never be an NBA scorer, and rebounding centers are cheap and not highly valued these days.

Right now NBA.com has this as their mock draft:

1. Cavs - Andrew Wiggins SG
2. Bucks - Jabari Parker SF/PF
3. 76ers - Joel Embid C
4. Magic - Marcus Smart PG
5. Utah - Noah Vonleh PF
6. Boston - Dante Exum PG/SG
7. Lakers - Julius Randle PF
8. Kings - Aaron Gordon PF
9. Hornets (Bobcats) - Rodney Hood SF
10. 76ers - Zack LaVine PG/SG
11. Nuggets - Garry Harris SG
12. Magic - Dario Saric SF/PF

Certainly Smart had more buzz than Randle during the season, but Kentucky's late run has certainly given Randle a big bump.

I love Garry Harris's game, perhaps Kobe could mentor him in his last few years with the Lakers? He's a scorer with great heart and a deadly shot, and anyone from Michigan State can defend.

But honestly I'll just be glad if they don't pick a 7-2, 180lb center from Moldova.