NBA Thread 2013-2014

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Joel Embiid has broken his foot. Lots of speculation this could put him further down the draft and if he go to no.7 I'd expect the lakers to pick him up.

Otherwise LAL have taken long hard looks at Aaron Gordon, Marcus Smart and Julius Randle, all as realistic options to make it down to no.7.

I'd be happy with Gordon. You can teach the skills of basketball he needs polishing up, you can't teach the crazy hops he has. Randle would be more ready right now and Smart is built like a brick shitehouse. He'd be some sort of pit bull at PG.

NM

I only watch the Hoosiers for college ball, though I tend to hear a bit about the top players or read something about a few of them at least. But I can't really give a good assessment of any of these guys besides Vonleh, who I'm not a huge fan of. He'll never be an NBA scorer, and rebounding centers are cheap and not highly valued these days.

Right now NBA.com has this as their mock draft:

1. Cavs - Andrew Wiggins SG
2. Bucks - Jabari Parker SF/PF
3. 76ers - Joel Embid C
4. Magic - Marcus Smart PG
5. Utah - Noah Vonleh PF
6. Boston - Dante Exum PG/SG
7. Lakers - Julius Randle PF
8. Kings - Aaron Gordon PF
9. Hornets (Bobcats) - Rodney Hood SF
10. 76ers - Zack LaVine PG/SG
11. Nuggets - Garry Harris SG
12. Magic - Dario Saric SF/PF

Certainly Smart had more buzz than Randle during the season, but Kentucky's late run has certainly given Randle a big bump.

I love Garry Harris's game, perhaps Kobe could mentor him in his last few years with the Lakers? He's a scorer with great heart and a deadly shot, and anyone from Michigan State can defend.

But honestly I'll just be glad if they don't pick a 7-2, 180lb center from Moldova.
The sixers already have one inured center in Noel.. They need to fill out the SG/SF/PF spots with their 2 picks in the top 10 to complement Noel and Carter-Williams.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
The sixers already have one inured center in Noel.. They need to fill out the SG/SF/PF spots with their 2 picks in the top 10 to complement Noel and Carter-Williams.
That top 3 are being hailed as a bit better than the rest, so the Sixers may feel that a few months in his rookie year out isn't an issue. Noel is more of a PF in size anyway, so I think they could play together.

I hope Wiggins ends up at Philly because he sounds like a flash player and Philly love someone like that. Philly can rebuild and challenge, the Bucks will never challenge again. And the Cavs owner is a brilliant idiot and not someone I'd want to have orchestrating my team's future.

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.
Nick Stauskas is a real sleeper in this draft, I could see him getting a lottery pick. he's from The Toronto area and I have friends who've played against him. He's an absolute machine and a real good professional. He'd be a good pick in the 12-14 range I think.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Stauskas was completely shut down against the Hoosiers by our 5'11' point guard fronting him all game.

I did see him have some nice scorelines, but never seen him have a good game myself.

Not sure he has the speed or athleticism for the NBA.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
My quick NBA draft thoughts

- I really do not see anyone in this draft turning into an elite player. I could see Wiggins and Embiid possibly make a few All NBA teams
- Very deep draft overall though. A lot of quality starters and rotation players in this draft.
- I think Wiggins we be a good two player like Paul George or Kawii Leonard. But, his average ball handling and passing will prevent him from being an elite offensive player in the NBA
- I do not like Parker that much. I think he will be a terrible defender in the NBA and I think he lacks the athleticism to beat players off the dribble in the NBA. I think he will be a stretch 4
- McDermott will be possibly the worst defensive player in the NBA but, he can shoot and finish inside. So I am torn on how good he will be.
- Teams that use a first round pick on Shabazz Napier or Kyle Anderson are making a huge mistake.
- A lot of potential great defenders in this draft. Embiid, Wiggins, Gordon, Vonleh, Smart, Payton
- As long as you do not expect him to be Westbrook Lavine could be a good pick. Is definitely not a PG but, might turn into a Jamal Crawford type scorer off the bench.

Bubz27

He can't shoot though.
Gordon? Yeah you're right but supposedly he made big improvements in his 2nd workout from his 1st workout with the Lakers. And like I said, he can be taught that and improve what he has. Never to be an elite shooter but an excellent defender who can finish above the rim and potential to become adequate in the mid court.
It's a comparison that's been made a lot and there's probably a reason for that, he's almost a clone of Blake Griffin. If he has the same intensity and and drive to improve year on year, he could be a star.
But Griffin has CP3 showing him the ropes, LAL could have Kendall Marshall....

Bubz27

Looks like Melo is officially opting out tomorrow and he has already let the Knicks know in writing.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Looks like Melo is officially opting out tomorrow and he has already let the Knicks know in writing.
Oh the Knicks...I don't think they've ever recovered from the economic disaster that was Isaiah Thomas's reign as manager.

The "Let's dramatically overpay for mediocre players on long term contracts" strategy has caused the Knicks to make short term choices sever since to dump salary, leading to the collection of even more inflated contracts to get players to come into this disaster zone.

Will take at least 2-3 years to clear out the dross and start over.

I'm not sympathetic, the Knicks are c*nts. Invented flopping and the 3 step non-travel.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Draftexpress.com has this as their mock draft:

1. Cavs - Andrew Wiggins
2. Bucks - Jabari Parker
3. 76ers - Dante Exum
4. Magic - Joel Embiid
5. Jazz - Noah Vonleh
6. Celtics - Marcus Smart
7. Lakers - Julius Randle
8. Kings - Doug McDermott
9. Hornets - Nik Stauskas
10. 76ers - Aaron Gordon
11. Nuggets - Dario Saric
12. Magic - Elfrid Payton
13. Wolves - Zack LaVine
14. Suns - Gary Harris
15. Hawks - Jusuf Nurkic

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2014/

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I think he'll sign on with the Heat. But if he is pushing for a max contract I don't see how the Heat can keep the big 3 together and add a stronger bench. Their luxury tax will be astronomical, and I don't think the owners are willing to drop that kind of cash.

KeninDC

Rest in Peace
Not sure where else he can go. I doubt he wants to be part of a rebuilding job, so would have to go to a team that already has talent and would be willing to blow up the team for him.

Zen

Yeah if he wants to go elsewhere....he can just put himself ahead of Carmelo in his sweepstakes.....theres also Kevin Love likely to be traded.

KeninDC

Rest in Peace
Cleveland, Houston, Chicago, etc.
Maybe-he'll cost a fortune. Don't see him back in Cleveland; Chicago maybe. I assume he wants to go to a better stocked team than Houston. I wouldn't be surprised if the Heat sign him and restock.

hungrywing

Maybe-he'll cost a fortune. Don't see him back in Cleveland; Chicago maybe. I assume he wants to go to a better stocked team than Houston. I wouldn't be surprised if the Heat sign him and restock.
This was the unspoken gist of the Grantland podcast. Rose never went beyond the above comment, but you could put two-and-two together (AKA Heat waiting for Wade to exit stage left and other 'superstar' free-agents to slot into other teams during the interim and then for Durant to come to the Heat.)

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
Allen is close to returning for a 19th season. He probably wants to pass that 3000 mark for 3-pointers made in the regular season. (He's at 2973 now)

If the Heat mounted a better challenge for the Spurs in the finals, I would have said that James staying with the Heat is a done deal. Right now, it probably all depends on what Bosh and Wade are ready to sacrifice, and the much-needed creativity of Pat Riley. I still think the Heat are the favorites to land him right now, they just need to improve the point guard position, significantly, and add a big signing. Yes, Wade and Bosh will have to opt out for this to happen. If Wade and Bosh are opting in, then James is not signing a new deal with Miami.

Allen, incidentally, is tipped to follow James for his 19th season if he chooses to carry on for one more season.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
Miami's (ex-?) big 3 met today to decide future. However we don't know yet what they decided.

Carmelo, on the other hand, doesn't seem to be thinking about joining the Heat. His top three choices are Chicago, Dallas and Houston, in addition to New York.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
Cleveland are trying to arrange a last minute workout for Exum. Are they overthinking it? (They're thinking about trading down)

Don't think they will do something stupid this time though. Expect them to take Wiggins.

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.
Fantastic to see the Mavs pick up Chandler, I'm a huge fan of his. It's worth taking Felton to make it happen.

Barely gave up anything, I love it.
Could be a good trade for them, although it doesn't help their age problem really. The Knicks look like they're gonna blow their team up now.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
Tons of rumors going around now.

Josh Smith to the Kings
Lebron and Carmelo sweepstakes
Kevin Love and Kevin Martin for Klay Thompson and David Lee
The draft
Asik to the Hornets and Chandler to the Mavs are done
Rajon Rondo drama