NBA Thread 2013-2014

ThaReaper01

He's a tremendous shooter.
And that's all he's got. He can't create his own shot, he's a poor defender, and an average rebounder for his height. Disgusted with this trade. TJ Warren is who I wanted and he just went so I can't complain too much but god that ruined this day for me. They're putting all their eggs in the Melo basket and they better pray to god he comes.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
And that's all he's got. He can't create his own shot, he's a poor defender, and an average rebounder for his height. Disgusted with this trade. TJ Warren is who I wanted and he just went so I can't complain too much but god that ruined this day for me. They're putting all their eggs in the Melo basket and they better pray to god he comes.
How often have you watched him? He can definitely create his own shot.

ThaReaper01

How often have you watched him? He can definitely create his own shot.
He can create his shot against mid-majors. I saw him against Providence this year in the BET and he did nothing. I saw him against Duke in the tourney last year an made his living from the free throw line. I saw him against Baylor and he didn't do anything until the game was well out of reach. He's not an NBA players. He's a near replica of Adam Morrison. They actually compared him to Adam Morrison on ESPN. Says it all for me.

Eboue

He can create his shot against mid-majors. I saw him against Providence this year in the BET and he did nothing. I saw him against Duke in the tourney last year an made his living from the free throw line. I saw him against Baylor and he didn't do anything until the game was well out of reach. He's not an NBA players. He's a near replica of Adam Morrison. They actually compared him to Adam Morrison on ESPN. Says it all for me.
28 points against Villanova
39 points against Villanova
15 points against Baylor
30 points against Wisconsin
27 points against Arizona State
35 points against Xavier
25 points against Wichita State
22 points against St Mary's
41 points against Wichita State
27 points against Cincinnati
21 points against Duke
20 points against North Carolina
21 points against Oregon
20 points against BYU

He's a legit scorer. You are right about rebounding and defending but he can create his own shot.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
The Thunder select the King of Garbage Time. I hope they don't want him to set picks and rebound.

Eboue

When he played Duke, he did absolutely nothing until Michigan were down too much for it to matter. He also said all Duke bigs did was rebound and set picks.
McGary had 15 points and 14 rebounds in 27 minutes. He was also playing with a back injury that he only was able to deal with for two more games before getting season ending surgery. He is one of the best rebounders in the country, a good passer, great at running the floor. He will fit in perfectly for the Thunder, finishing on the fast break, cleaning up and scoring put backs. Don't judge players based on how they do against Duke or else Jakob Golon would be a lottery pick.

ThaReaper01

McGary had 15 points and 14 rebounds in 27 minutes. He was also playing with a back injury that he only was able to deal with for two more games before getting season ending surgery. He is one of the best rebounders in the country, a good passer, great at running the floor. He will fit in perfectly for the Thunder, finishing on the fast break, cleaning up and scoring put backs. Don't judge players based on how they do against Duke or else Jakob Golon would be a lottery pick.
Duke’s 79-69 win against Michigan was never that close (check that link for the game story).

Statistically speaking, Duke’s lead was 100 percent safe with 1:59 left on the clock, as the Blue Devils were up 66-50. That means 28 percent of the Wolverines’ points—19 of 69—were scored in garbage time.

Let’s take a look at whose stats received the most artificial padding at the end:

Mitch McGary, 4-for-4, 8 points, 3 rebounds

Nik Stauskas, 0-for-0, 1-of-2 FT, 1 point

Zak Irvin, 1-for-3, 3 points

Caris LeVert, 1-for-2, 2-of-2 FT, 5 points

Glenn Robinson III, 1-for-1, 2 points

LeVert still carried an offensively-inept Michigan throughout, finishing with a career-high 24 points, and the 19 that came while the game was competitive still led the Wolverines. But McGary’s 15-point, 14-rebound double-double came long after his team had already lost. Subtracting out his garbage-time flurry, McGary went 2-of-6 from the field for 7 total points.

That brings Michigan’s field goal percentage from the first 28 minutes to 39.1 percent (18-of-46). As noted in the game story, Duke’s defense was, again, much improved, even though the final stats don’t fully reflect that.

Lies, damned lies and statistics.

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.
I said Stauskas would be a lottery and I can't be happier about that tbh. I think the bulls trading up for that was a decent move, and now they've acquired Anthony Randolph too whose a tremendous athlete.

ThaReaper01

Here is McGary pulling down three rebounds and starting the fast break three times in that game.

I'd say you don't know what you are talking about.
I'd say you don't know what you are talking about. What is that video supposed to prove? That doesn't change the fact that he scored half his points in garbage time, which was the original point. You can argue he played well until you're purple in the face, the consensus is he didn't. Him getting 15 boards against perennially one of the worst rebounding teams in the country isn't special.

Eboue

I'd say you don't know what you are talking about. What is that video supposed to prove? That doesn't change the fact that he scored half his points in garbage time, which was the original point. You can argue he played well until you're purple in the face, the consensus is he didn't. Him getting 15 boards against perennially one of the worst rebounding teams in the country isn't special.
You clearly don't understand what type of player McGary is. He's not someone who you draw up plays for and let him use his Hakeem-esque post moves. Because he doesn't have any. He is a good passer, a good transition player, a good ball handler, a good rebounder and a high energy guy. So if we are trying to evaluate whether or not he did well, those are the things you look at. Those 15 points are actually the third highest he ever scored. The other two games were where he just finished from Burke assists or scored on putbacks. How many games have you watched of him? He's never going to be Blake Griffin or Kevin Garnett or Lamarcus Aldridge. He doesn't have the shooting range or the post moves. But he fits in very well in Oklahoma because he won't need the ball to be effective. McGary will finish the easy chances that Westbrook and Durant create, he will rebound well and he will run the floor in transition. All things Perkins no longer does well.

FYI, Duke was not a bad rebounding team. http://kenpom.com/team.php?team=Duke

ThaReaper01

You clearly don't understand what type of player McGary is. He's not someone who you draw up plays for and let him use his Hakeem-esque post moves. Because he doesn't have any. He is a good passer, a good transition player, a good ball handler, a good rebounder and a high energy guy. So if we are trying to evaluate whether or not he did well, those are the things you look at. Those 15 points are actually the third highest he ever scored. The other two games were where he just finished from Burke assists or scored on putbacks. How many games have you watched of him? He's never going to be Blake Griffin or Kevin Garnett or Lamarcus Aldridge. He doesn't have the shooting range or the post moves. But he fits in very well in Oklahoma because he won't need the ball to be effective. McGary will finish the easy chances that Westbrook and Durant create, he will rebound well and he will run the floor in transition. All things Perkins no longer does well.

FYI, Duke was not a bad rebounding team. http://kenpom.com/team.php?team=Duke
Well first off, I wasn't the one that said he wasn't very good. Second, you don't really need post moves to throw a shoulder into someone and throw up a baby hook, which is what he should've been doing all game. I don't know if that's him not having the nous to call for the ball or if it's circumstance of Belein's perimeter-based system, but he wasn't overly impressive, bad back or not. Blake Griffin is actually a good comparison because he has no post game either. Never has. He just barrels into folks and throws up a hook. And they both attempt to step out and knock down a free throw line jumper that neither of them have.

And Duke was 193rd in rebounding last season at 34.5 a game.

Eboue

Well first off, I wasn't the one that said he wasn't very good. Second, you don't really need post moves to throw a shoulder into someone and throw up a baby hook, which is what he should've been doing all game. I don't know if that's him not having the nous to call for the ball or if it's circumstance of Belein's perimeter-based system, but he wasn't overly impressive, bad back or not. Blake Griffin is actually a good comparison because he has no post game either. Never has. He just barrels into folks and throws up a hook. And they both attempt to step out and knock down a free throw line jumper that neither of them have.

And Duke was 193rd in rebounding last season at 34.5 a game.
His back was hurt. He had surgery a week or two later. He wasn't going to be throwing shoulders into people. I honestly don't know how to debate with someone who thinks Blake Griffin doesn't have a post game.

Total rebounds is a bad way to judge a team's rebounding. Some teams play different paces and have more possessions. Some teams have more turnovers on those possessions. Some teams miss more shots and have more rebounding opportunities. All of this is reflected in kenpom. Duke was not a bad rebounding team.

BigDunc9

Supports
Everton
Don't know where else to put this but i watched a documentary on Netfilx about the Detroit Piston Bad Boys and even though i have never watched a game of Basketball in my life it was very entertaining i thought. Bill Laimbeer is now my new hero in life.

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
Hey now that the draft has finished, we do jump onto a 2014-15 thread now or what?

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
What's a lottery pick? I've read all I could about the draft and got an idea of how it works but didn't found a definition for this. At first I thought it was the first 3 picks because those are taken by teams that won the draft lottery, but it doesn't make sense with other stuff I read, such as "Orlando picking up lottery picks" at No. 4 and No. 12.

Also, was playing NBA 2k14 and a GM asked me how important it is for me to be a lottery pick. I had no idea what to say and probably looked like a fool. This simply can not happen again.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
What's a lottery pick? I've read all I could about the draft and got an idea of how it works but didn't found a definition for this. At first I thought it was the first 3 picks because those are taken by teams that won the draft lottery, but it doesn't make sense with other stuff I read, such as "Orlando picking up lottery picks" at No. 4 and No. 12.

Also, was playing NBA 2k14 and a GM asked me how important it is for me to be a lottery pick. I had no idea what to say and probably looked like a fool. This simply can not happen again.
The first 14 picks (the teams that failed to make the playoffs). They're the teams that enter a lottery (with adjusted chances of winning) to decide the final draft order.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
The first 14 picks (the teams that failed to make the playoffs).
Thank you. So simple. Even good old wikipedia didn't mention that. I guess it's obvious so obvious that it isn't explained anywhere!

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes