NBA Thread 2013-2014

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
The Lakers are going to be fine. They're the Lakers, free agents will always want to come there and they'll always beat out Milwaukee and Sacramento.
Except there is no cap money. So free agents might well be attracted but there is no money to pay them salaries. So for the next few years the Lakers are fecked. We had Bynum and went for Howard and now we dont have both.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Cavs apparently offered Bynum a two-year, $24m contract. The second year is a team option at $12m which Bynum has supposedly balked at. He's apparently desiring a one-year deal so he can perform and cash in.

That's too much money for a guy that a) missed an entire season and b) has mental problems.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Looks like I will have to burn my Iguodala jersey now, the bastard.

Shinjisan

Account closed by request
IMO, next season will be a write off for the Lakers unless something unprecedented happens. A few of their players will be free agents at the end of the season. They would be better off starting the rebuilding process now.

There might be a possibility that Kobe would wear another jersey at the start of the season.

Neutral

BTV
IMO, next season will be a write off for the Lakers unless something unprecedented happens. A few of their players will be free agents at the end of the season. They would be better off starting the rebuilding process now.

There might be a possibility that Kobe would wear another jersey at the start of the season.
Don't think so. If Howard had stayed that was a real possibility, but now, I think he'll retire a Laker in 2-3 seasons.

JaffyJoe

Provides RedCafe with shit Twitter news

I agree they should just write it off see if they can get one of these top young players in the lottery it won't be Stern as commissioner anymore but I doubt Adam Silver hasn't picked up a thing or two from the master. Lakers are looking at Lebron I seriously doubt he will go there nobody wants to play with Kobe but they are the Lakers a couple of seasons and they will be fine again.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
So, apparently the Magic are gonna try to turn my boy Oladipo into a point guard. This is actually something I wanted to see happen at IU, so I'm excited at the prospect. Don't get me wrong, I think he could be a top shooting guard, and may well still end up being one. But with his size and speed he would be a match-up nightmare at the point.

He's always struggled a bit with turnovers, usually trying some over-elaborate dribble in an ill-advised place, but he improved a lot in that aspect last season. The new GM for Orlando is the old assist at OKC, where they turned a similar player in Russell Westbrook into a PG when few saw that in him. Westbrook also struggled with turnovers, but after a few seasons he was much improved and now is one of the best point guards in the world.

MrMarcello

Heard today that Bynum got $6m over two years. That's a fair deal for Cleveland and probably all Bynum is worth based on last season's lost time. Surprised he chose the Cavs over the others in play (Atlanta, Dallas, think there was another club or two). Surprised a team like the Bulls, Spurs or Heat didn't make a play for him.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Aside from his injury issues, maybe his attitude prevented the title-contending teams from going for him?

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Big gamble by Cleveland, but then they weren't going to be landing many big name free agents. I can't really see Cleveland becoming a title contender, but they could end up with a winning record anyway.

JaffyJoe

A lot of moves happening the NBA is going to be interesting next season . Heat favourites???

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
A lot of moves happening the NBA is going to be interesting next season . Heat favourites???
Definitely a No. They were lucky to win it this season.. They haven't gotten any better this Summer, and virtually all rivals got better.

Indiana will beat them next season. Chicago, I don't know, I need to see them play with Rose back, but they have a good chance as well.. The West will definitely put up a better team than last year's Spurs, with OKC, Houston and the Clippers all improving on last year.

JaffyJoe

Definitely a No. They were lucky to win it this season.. They haven't gotten any better this Summer, and virtually all rivals got better.

Indiana will beat them next season. Chicago, I don't know, I need to see them play with Rose back, but they have a good chance as well.. The West will definitely put up a better team than last year's Spurs, with OKC, Houston and the Clippers all improving on last year.

Will be an intersting season no team has made four finals in a row since Boston in the 80's I believe. I agree unless Lebron improves even more, Wade has a time travelling machine and Bosh is ready to be a low post force (Doubt that is possible)

Indiana lack depth, Thibs needs to not run players into the ground in the regular season, but I expect Houston to be better if they get 2011 Dwight then the west will be interesting. Clippers are poor defensively, I want to see how much Doc Rivers can improve them on that end.

RDCR07

Heard today that Bynum got $6m over two years. That's a fair deal for Cleveland and probably all Bynum is worth based on last season's lost time. Surprised he chose the Cavs over the others in play (Atlanta, Dallas, think there was another club or two). Surprised a team like the Bulls, Spurs or Heat didn't make a play for him.
Wait I thought it was $24m over two years?

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
It's insane how many players switch clubs each season. All this salary cap gobbledy gook has actually made it harder for most clubs to resign their own talent.

The only thing that can stop the Heat next season is another injury to Wade or LeBron. If Wade had been full strength none of the series would have gone to 7 games.

RDCR07

Huge trade between the Nets and the Celtics. KG, Pierce and Terry go to the Nets.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...e-with-nets/64VCdCcYFY8X9h54bDZmeL/story.html
The deal, originally agreed to in late June, sends Pierce, Garnett, Jason Terry and D.J. White to Brooklyn for forwards Gerald Wallace and Kris Humphries, guard/forward Keith Bogans, guard MarShon Brooks, forward Kris Joseph, three future first-round draft picks and the option to swap first-round picks during the 2017 draft.

RDCR07

Cuban's rebuilding process hasnt exactly gone according to plan. But at least he has a very good backcourt in Calderon and Ellis.

MrMarcello

Cuban's rebuilding process hasnt exactly gone according to plan. But at least he has a very good backcourt in Calderon and Ellis.
Shame they won't play defense but should be fairly entertaining on offense.

He gambled on Deron, who took money over the hometown team he supposedly wanted to play for, and it has gone downhill ever since.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Khalif Wyatt, the former Temple star who almost single handedly beat IU in the NCAA tournament, has been playing very well in the summer leagues, I hope the Lakers pick him up!

Reggie Jackson (OKC), Kelly Olynyk (BOS), Jeremy Lamb (OKC) and Victor Olapido (ORL) are your top scorers, averaging 19.5, 19.5, 19 and 19 points respectively. Dipo has been the best player in the Orlando summer leagues for my money, adding 5 assists, 3 steals and 4.3 rebounds to those 19 ppg.

Andre Drummond (DET) is way out in front of the other rebounders with 15 per game, Michael Carter-Williams lead all passers with 7.3 assists per.

Here are the stats:

http://www.nba.com/summerleague/2013/statistics/orlando/index.html

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
Yeah, the Bulls probably have a shot if Rose is back at near his best. Granger...well, he wasn't back healthy from his last injury before this injury, so I'm not really expecting anything from him.
Indiana also has age on their side.. A one-year older Miami is expected to be a worse Miami side, while a one-year older Indiana at this point is expected to be a better Indiana side.

Also don't count on Wade being "fully healthy" for next year's playoffs either..

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
It's 24m for 2 years, with the second year a team option and only 6m guaranteed for the 1st year. Knowing Bynum, he'll probably kill do well enough to convince teams to throw him a long term contract for a good amount of money before deciding that playing basketball is too much of a hassle and just decide to collect the salary while doing minimal work.

jveezy

Fo' shizzle
Ben McLemore had a terrible shooting night in his first game. Got a lot of good looks, but just couldn't hit them. Finished 4/23. The other Kings draft pick, Ray McCallum impressed at PG, which means the team will start the season with 6 guards on the roster if they don't find a way to move Thornton or Jimmer.