NBA Thread 2013-2014

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
I guess the quality is what bugs me sometimes and without a question the fans ARE going to be better since they are young college kids proud of their college teams whereas in Pro, its adults who just come to drink beer.

Neutral

BTV
I guess the quality is what bugs me sometimes and without a question the fans ARE going to be better since they are young college kids proud of their college teams whereas in Pro, its adults who just come to drink beer.
like Eboue said it's not just kids - it's alumni, the local community...the fans are more fervent because the college isn't going to be bought by some billionaire and then moved to another city because they promise to build a stadium for free.

100 years of tradition, connections, stories, victories and losses.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Indiana also has age on their side.. A one-year older Miami is expected to be a worse Miami side, while a one-year older Indiana at this point is expected to be a better Indiana side.

Also don't count on Wade being "fully healthy" for next year's playoffs either..
I would think Wade is almost certain to be more healthy next year than he was during this playoffs. He was obviously struggling greatly with whatever injury he has.

The Pacers are like the Bad News Bears, they never really seem to have a shot at being the best team. But we're a defense first team and that's the way to win playoff games, I'm probably a bit pessimistic due to our history being steeped in mediocrity.

JaffyJoe

Provides RedCafe with shit Twitter news
Wade I think needs to play 30 mins max a game during the reg. season to be fresh for the playoffs his body can't take the grind anymore.

I have only really looked at March Madness but because of the hype of this draft I will try and catch a few college games. I think Wiggins will underwhelm to much pressure but he will be a good player. Plus the other 5-7 potential all stars.

Shinjisan

Account closed by request
GD, do you follow NCAA more than the NBA?

NBA is mostly for band-wagoners and foreigners nascent to the sport.

Most people who really love basketball and football follow the college game. You feel more tradition and affinity with college teams than professional teams.

Neutral

BTV
NBA is mostly for band-wagoners and foreigners nascent to the sport.

Most people who really love basketball and football follow the college game. You feel more tradition and affinity with college teams than professional teams.
What? I'm all for talking up the college game but talk about a massive generalization. Yeah Boston Celtics fans don't really love basketball - the Celtics aren't part and parcel of the city of Boston.

*Just using Boston as one example.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
I wish the regular season meant something, so that most of the games would actually have an atmosphere.

Would it be so bad to give out two trophies?

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
I've always been more partial to pro sports - the product is far superior to amateur sports. I do love a good college football game here and there but my interest is limited to a handful of schools/games where as I will watch just about any NFL game.

College basketball is a terrible product these days with players jumping ship after a year or two. I only care to tune in during the Final Four. I once liked college basketball over the NBA (circa 1990s) but honestly don't care for either these days but certainly have a more rooted interest in the NBA over NCAA. If the NCAA would enforce (can they or is up to NBA entrance rules?) a minimum 2-3 years attendance the product would rise drastically.

College team sports for the other areas (hockey, baseball, soccer) are crap spectator sports for TV. I believe in person is much better for all college sports. I enjoyed attending Colorado College hockey games in person but would never watch them on TV.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
All-Summer League Orlando First Team

Victor Oladipo (ORL) averaged 19 points per game, five assists, and 3.4 rebounds per game
Kelly Olynyk (BOS) averaged 19.5 points and eight rebounds per game.
Terrence Jones (HOU) averaged 15.8 points while pulling down seven rebounds per game
Jeremy Lamb (OKC) averaged 19 points per game, OKC undefeated
Andre Drummond. (DET) led the league in rebounds at 14.8 while also scoring 15.5 points per game.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
ESPN resporting World Peace is heading to the Knicks. Decent pick-up, he'll add some defense to them.

Ron has to have the most awkward dribble I've seen in basketball. I'd always cringe when he decided to isolate and try to dribble past his defender, rarely did it work in recent seasons. Still, he won't be forgotten for that effort in Game 7 against Boston.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Also don't count on Wade being "fully healthy" for next year's playoffs either..
I'd say injury is the only thing that can stop the Heat at this point. The Bulls were the one team that could handle them, with who knows how Rose will come back this time. It will be a real challenge for them to come back to their best in just one season, though I'm sure it's possible.

Jordan was 35 by the end of his last title winning season, so I'm not going to look at Wade's age and write them off. Even with Bosh being something of a clown they are fine, enough veterans are willing to take a big salary drop to jump on the championship bandwagon.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
I'd say injury is the only thing that can stop the Heat at this point. The Bulls were the one team that could handle them, with who knows how Rose will come back this time. It will be a real challenge for them to come back to their best in just one season, though I'm sure it's possible.

Jordan was 35 by the end of his last title winning season, so I'm not going to look at Wade's age and write them off. Even with Bosh being something of a clown they are fine, enough veterans are willing to take a big salary drop to jump on the championship bandwagon.
The problem for Wade is that he's been more injured than healthy in the playoffs along his career.. I honestly don't expect the trend to change direction when he passes the 30-years line. This year he's had two knee problems actually (well 4, but reportedly two have healed, one was new and didn't heal in time, and one is chronic). That's not an optimistic picture going forward.. I think the Heat has been lucky to win it this year, because at least they have two titles to show now for their decision to play together, which is a lot better than one.

And if that's not enough, Mike Miller has been amnestied today.. I can understand the decision (money-wise), but Miller came up big in crucial games in the playoffs (in both title runs). IMO, he was the Heat's best 3-point shooter, and without him, they aren't that big a threat from beyond the arc, which could drastically affect the space James and Wade will get inside. I don't like that move.

Honestly, things don't look bright at the moment, but now is not the time to worry, I'll keep enjoying 2013 for now, at least until the new season begins.. But I'm not confident about next season.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
We should play "Which veteran will take a big salary drop to join the Heat" 2013 edition.

I'm gonna pick Antawn Jamison. Though Kenyon Martin and Rip Hamilton are strong candidates too.

Nate Robinson surely won't leave the Bulls for the Heat....will he?

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
We should play "Which veteran will take a big salary drop to join the Heat" 2013 edition.

I'm gonna pick Antawn Jamison. Though Kenyon Martin and Rip Hamilton are strong candidates too.

Nate Robinson surely won't leave the Bulls for the Heat....will he?
A center is the only position at which Miami may be willing to spend extra money this Summer. IMO, there is no way Miami are going to sign a guard or a forward this Summer, even for the veteran minimum.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Robinson to the Nuggets, I guess Miller is off then... It will be a long season for us.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Basically anyone below the line should shoot less, while those above the line and close to the y-axis should shoot more. LeBron's true shooting is amazing considering the fact that he's just an above average free throw shooter unlike Durant who's almost automatic from the line.

He's supposedly working on his free throws this off season, so if he improves to being a 0.85 free throw shooter, they'll basically have to redraw the graph to fit him in.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Basically anyone below the line should shoot less, while those above the line and close to the y-axis should shoot more. LeBron's true shooting is amazing considering the fact that he's just an above average free throw shooter unlike Durant who's almost automatic from the line.

He's supposedly working on his free throws this off season, so if he improves to being a 0.85 free throw shooter, they'll basically have to redraw the graph to fit him in.
Yup, Durant's a well known 50-40-80 player, LeBron will get himself up there I feel.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
He is a humongous asshole who sucks at basketball. Not only did Dumars agree to pay him $24 million, he gave up Brandon Knight to do it. That's the same Brandon Knight who the Pistons believed in at Point Guard that stopped them from picking Trey Burke in the draft.