NBA Thread 2013-2014

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
Good start from Miami, quiet start from James and Wade, could be rust, but I'll take the W.

Rose looks like he's back to his best (physically), but didn't have the best game tonight.

Cole, :drool: . Hope he keeps playing at this level..

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Hilarious effort by the Clippers. They got schooled by the Lakers bench in the 4th quarter. I like the look of this Lakers team, don't think we'll win much, but we're a much funner team to watch compared to last year's horror showing where nearly everyone hated playing together.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
What a debut from Michael Carter-Williams, locked LeBron down in the clutch!

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
What a debut from Michael Carter-Williams, locked LeBron down in the clutch!
Who couldn't. :D

Timely loss for Miami, and Lebron.. The new season has started, and they have to start from point 0 again. There are no easy games in the NBA.. If you don't show up, ..., Philadelphia can beat you!

ArmchairCritic

Who couldn't. :D

Timely loss for Miami, and Lebron.. The new season has started, and they have to start from point 0 again. There are no easy games in the NBA.. If you don't show up, ..., Philadelphia can beat you!

There's always outliers in the first few games. Remember some early season games where the Wizards and Charlotte pushed Miami hard.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
The Pistons are dominating the playoff bound Wizards, as all unbiased NBA watchers expected. I am especially impressed by how they have been able to overcome the obviously corrupt officials. At the moment, Washington has 10 offensive rebounds to Detroit's 6. The Pistons have an all-world trio of really tall men, so how could they possibly be getting outrebounded if the refs weren't ignoring some blatant over-the-back-ing and giving-of-the-business. I am confident that if you guys think about this logically, you will agree with my conclusion. In his debut, Head Coach Maurice Cheeks has masterminded a gameplan to let Trevor Ariza shoot 6 for 9 from three point range. Cheeks is showing what a visionary he is because he wisely took a look at the schedule and realized that the Pistons will play the Wizards three more times this year. He wants Ariza to be very confident so that he will take a bunch of threes in those other games. Fortunately for Pistons fans, Ariza only made 76 three pointers all last year and since the Pistons don't play the Wizards again till the end of December, Ariza will have used up all of his threes for the year. Brilliant managing that suits a brilliant team.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
The Pistons are dominating the playoff bound Wizards, as all unbiased NBA watchers expected. I am especially impressed by how they have been able to overcome the obviously corrupt officials.

At the moment, Washington has 10 offensive rebounds to Detroit's 6. The Pistons have an all-world trio of really tall men, so how could they possibly be getting outrebounded if the refs weren't ignoring some blatant over-the-back-ing and giving-of-the-business.

I am confident that if you guys think about this logically, you will agree with my conclusion.

In his debut, Head Coach Maurice Cheeks has masterminded a gameplan to let Trevor Ariza shoot 6 for 9 from three point range. Cheeks is showing what a visionary he is because he wisely took a look at the schedule and realized that the Pistons will play the Wizards three more times this year.

He wants Ariza to be very confident so that he will take a bunch of threes in the those other games. Fortunately for Pistons fans, Ariza only made 76 three pointers all last year and since the Pistons don't play the Wizards again till the end of December, Ariza will have used up all of his threes for the year. Brilliant managing that suits a brilliant team.
Re-formatting it to make it readable...

EDIT: :lol: .. Really hope Detroit make the playoffs this time...

By the way, talking about Ariza and threes, Battier also spent all his threes yesterday.. Should have saved some for today...

ArmchairCritic

I think the East is so shit that Miami will give absolutely no fecks all season until the playoffs and still get a top seed.

Zen

Thats been the story of the NBA for like a decade. If not more.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
I really like how the Pistons announcers are referring to Josh Smith as Josh. It shows his high level of character has helped him fit in with the team in such a short amount of time. All NBA first team I would think.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
I really like how the Pistons announcers are referring to Josh Smith as Josh. It shows his high level of character has helped him fit in with the team in such a short amount of time. All NBA first team I would think.
I feel sorry for you just for the fact that Josh Smith is playing for you..

Hell of a player though in the fantasy league.

Nanderson

I ♥ Neymar
DeMarcus Cousins is an absolute monster. He single-handedly led the Kings to victory, even with the refs letting the Nuggets foul him pretty much as they wished in the 4th quarter. Seriously, he'll be an All-Star this season and it wouldn't surprise me if he's the best big man in the NBA within a couple of years.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Great win, even without your new 'star' Jennings! Look out league...

JaffyJoe

Provides RedCafe with shit Twitter news
We're back lads!!

I'll, let 10-15 games go by before I start making any evaluations but I have missed the NBA. Miami need Wade to be fit if they want to repeat odd he is getting a 'rest' a game in. It's going to e a long season in Lakerland and also Doc Rivers has a lot of work to do. This may be one of the best seasons in recent times a lot is going on.

p.s Didn't watch Carter-Williams, was it a fluke?

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
DeMarcus Cousins is an absolute monster. He single-handedly led the Kings to victory, even with the refs letting the Nuggets foul him pretty much as they wished in the 4th quarter. Seriously, he'll be an All-Star this season and it wouldn't surprise me if he's the best big man in the NBA within a couple of years.

If he gets his head straight the sky is the limit.

p.s Didn't watch Carter-Williams, was it a fluke?
I wouldn't call the win a fluke. Miami were slack on defense early in the game, and then they slowly chipped away at the deficit, but it wasn't enough to steal the win. As for Carter-Williams, time will tell.

Nanderson

I ♥ Neymar
If he gets his head straight the sky is the limit.
DeMarcus has always been a bit misunderstood. He's a really nice guy, but he has had problems controlling his emotions. Thankfully we finally seem to have a competent coach who actually tries to get him the ball in position. This year is a big one for him.

I wouldn't call the win a fluke. Miami were slack on defense early in the game, and then they slowly chipped away at the deficit, but it wasn't enough to steal the win. As for Carter-Williams, time will tell.
Depends what the poster meant by asking was it a fluke... MCW was hard to evaluate coming out of Syracuse because they play zone, was hard to predict whether he'd be a good man defender, though he clearly had the size, length and athleticism to potentially be a good one. He's not going to put up numbers like that often - he's an awful shooter, generally struggles finishing at the rim, and can be a turnover machine. That said, he has a lot of facets to his game so he's a bit of a stat stuffer - can pass, rebound, plays the passing lanes extremely well, uses his athleticism to score on the break. Time will indeed tell, it'll be interesting to see how he develops because if he puts everything together, he could be a very good player down the line. I just wouldn't be expecting him to have a big rookie year, or too many games like the one against the Heat (there may be a few, as with any rookie). There's going to be some very ugly games for him too. Just the nature of the beast with his type of game.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
Actually I have to be honest here, in short, Miami lost because of Lebron. He was beyond awful in the last 2 minutes. They were up 9 in the last few minutes (if I remember correctly), and he kept making turnover after turnover until Phily got back and got the lead again..

Miami's start was awful, but they recovered and were comfortably ahead deep into the fourth quarter..

It's still one game, but it was definitely on Lebron.

Scrumpet

There are no words
Devilish is usually a monger of doom and gloom. You always seem very pessimistic about Miami.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
Devilish is usually a monger of doom and gloom. You always seem very pessimistic about Miami.
On the scale of pessimism/optimism I might be a bit further to the "pessimistic end" than many fans, but I personally don't consider myself pessimistic. Just realistic. Everybody was talking about Miami walking it last year, and it didn't happen. They were actually lucky to win it in the end.

This year I think will be the toughest of all (even tougher than 2011). Many good teams (both in the East and the West) so it's still not clear to me if Miami are really the favorites this year, and I'm actually a bit worried about complacency.. It's still early in the season though...

However, I don't think I made any posts even close to being pessimistic on this page.. Was that a reply to my post about Lebron?

NM

Sixers 2-0 after being expected to compete for the worst record ever.:lol:

We might still do it though. I have no faith in this team.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Top of the division for Phoenix. Going to enjoy it while it lasts, Miles Plumlee has been brilliant so far, hope he maintains his great start.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Philly have beaten Miami and now Chicago... I thought they were supposed to be tanking?

The lack of NBA on UK TV is very annoying.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
Philly have beaten Miami and now Chicago... I thought they were supposed to be tanking?

:eek: They're 3-0 now!!

I'd give away 10 Miami wins for Phily to make the playoffs this year.. Please do it!

I know they won't. :(

NM

They were supposed to tank. No clue how the squad has 3 wins. They aren't good

:eek: They're 3-0 now!!

I'd give away 10 Miami wins for Phily to make the playoffs this year.. Please do it!

I know they won't. :(

They won't. Comeback wins will dry up, and actual talent level will show.

I'd rather we suck this year so we get a good draft pick next year.. The idea of giving Holiday away for 2 top 5 picks is great. Now the team just needs to lose a bit.. :lol:

Nanderson

I ♥ Neymar
MCW looked like a pro when he mostly single-handedly took our my Hoosiers last tournament. I think Philly got a huge steal.

They may have, but there was also plenty of games last year where he looked disastrous. As in really, really bad. He's off to an amazing start though.