6.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

AKDevil

His composure is freakish. There were a couple of times yesterday when he did things that make you go 'that's why he's a pro/so good.' A normal/lesser player panics, he just took that touch and created a new passing angle. It was like he knew what opposition player was going to do before they did. Class today, especially second half.

Man Utd 2:1 Arsenal

Yagami

Good post resistant
A beastly performance! He's so good under pressure with his close control, dribbling and shielding of the ball. Those attributes helped us keep on top of them for the winner.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
If only we had got him a few years earlier, the DM position sorted for several years. Hopefully he remains injury free so we have him for 3-4 years.

Minimalist

Think I would call him the POTY for us at this stage.

I mean there's only Dave (maybe Lukaku) competing with him for it but I think it's him.

arthurka

Really I thought he was terrible today... Slow and slowed everything down .. He looks shattered to me .

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth

I mean there's only Dave (maybe Lukaku) competing with him for it but I think it's him.
I think that would be fair. The most consistent outfield player certainly. Had a great start, then a perceived dip but really i just think some people has taken his influence for granted since. I dread on how our midfield would look this season without him.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Before everyone misunderstands... I like him, and think hes been a very good signing. But I'm not sure hes really improved us all that much compared to last season if we compare his performances this season to Herrera last season. Herrera lost form and was injured this season so thank feck he was here, but if you replicate Herrera last year for Matic this year, we'd be better off with Ander IMO. Think Mourinho could've got more out of both throughout the season if he rotated them more, instead of killing matic physically playing every game.

Really I thought he was terrible today... Slow and slowed everything down .. He looks shattered to me .
Agreed. Weird, everyone is way different, but for me he took way too long on the ball and ignored quick and easy forward passes far too often. If we do the quick pass through the lines right away more often, we'd look much more incisive imo. Matic is one of the worst for that, as he'll ignore that to play the safe choice almost every time.

AgentP

Before everyone misunderstands... I like him, and think hes been a very good signing. But I'm not sure hes really improved us all that much compared to last season if we compare his performances this season to Herrera last season. Herrera lost form and was injured this season so thank feck he was here, but if you replicate Herrera last year for Matic this year, we'd be better off with Ander IMO. Think Mourinho could've got more out of both throughout the season if he rotated them more, instead of killing matic physically playing every game.

Agreed. Weird, everyone is way different, but for me he took way too long on the ball and ignored quick and easy forward passes far too often. If we do the quick pass through the lines right away more often, we'd look much more incisive imo. Matic is one of the worst for that, as he'll ignore that to play the safe choice almost every time.
Don't agree with that. He is way better than Herrera in the DM role. The role Herrera is playing right now as a defensive b2b is what suits him more.

AgentP

Yep. Our best outfield player without a doubt. He adds that bit of class and elegance to our midfield that we clearly lacked.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Don't agree with that. He is way better than Herrera in the DM role. The role Herrera is playing right now as a defensive b2b is what suits him more.
Agree 100% and Matic choice of passing and composure is top notch. He’s a bit one paced but we have a right top player here who has improved greatly.

Bulldogg

Pretty much disagree with your entire post, expect maybe rotating Matic slightly more but then again Herrera was very poor at certain points this season and Fellaini was injured as was Pogba.

Have you seen the league table or even the top six table for that matter?

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Not sure what game you were watching.

He was class. Controlled the midfield. Made some threatening passes, and controlled the tempo of our play well.

I love how he gets out of messes. So many occasions he was surrounded and he does one spin and he's away.

arthurka

Not sure what game you were watching.

He was class. Controlled the midfield. Made some threatening passes, and controlled the tempo of our play well.

I love how he gets out of messes. So many occasions he was surrounded and he does one spin and he's away.
All of the above is what I had problems with ..
He is one of the biggest reasons for that slow and sluggish play as he takes 10 touches before he passes sideways or back . He is most of the time the guy who gets himself into those messes as he never moves the ball forward or picks up a runner. .

I agree he looks controlled but not in a way that is of much use..

Trizy

Our most important player this season. Some people annoyed me on here throughout the year criticizing him for not playing well in some games when he clearly was abandoned in midfield by Pogba. If Matic is one thing it's consistent so if he does have a bad game more often than not it's due to other reasons than his ability/form.

I don't think he had a great game yesterday him and Herrera were the reason we conceded, I find that he has a bad habit of holding onto the ball for too long and takes too many touches.

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
He will get praise every game and I think he was decent at times in the second half but god he's so slow and before he releases the ball all the gaps and chances for a counter are closed. Don't understand Herrera was subbed off and he stayed on the pitch, Herrera is a quicker passer more creative, speeds the game up and can break up the play easily too, showed he can play with Pogba last year and get the best out of him, it is not entirely true we would be too open with him, Matic can barely cover half the space what Herrera does.

So I think we should rahter be looking for a replacement or upgrade on Matic, the midfield is just too slow

Brighton 1:0 Man Utd

Jig1234

I don't think he had a great game yesterday him and Herrera were the reason we conceded, I find that he has a bad habit of holding onto the ball for too long and takes too many touches.
This is the thing. Pogba plays with risk tries to make things happen but gets stick if it don't work out. Matic was signed in summer and already looks like he needs to be replaced. You are spot on about him taking too many touches at times. He is not mobile or agile enough for me.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Only one post. He gets away with murder occasionally. Was shocking tonight.

Canagel

Not good enough. Pogba and Fellaini are getting slaughtered but this guy was even worse today. But he doesn't have a fancy haircut so it's all good. I want him replaced in the summer. Desperately lacking in both mobility and speed of thought. Carrick is ten times the player Matic will ever be. I miss his quick early through passes into the feet of the attackers. Matic slips under the radar but soon people will realise he needs to be replaced. Very strange that this thread is so quiet.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
He clearly needs a rest, or he's already resting on the pitch. Just be ready for the final... and if nothing works, just hit it from distance. It generates actual attention to a game.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
He clearly needs a rest, or he's already resting on the pitch. Just be ready for the final... and if nothing works, just hit it from distance. It generates actual attention to a game.
This is become a parody now.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
This is become a parody now.
SAF would call it rotation in half important game but Mourinho is not SAF.

The real parody comes when we're not reacting in the 3rd summer ahead accordingly. With that I can't argue.

ivaldo

SAF would call it rotation in half important game but Mourinho is not SAF.

The real parody comes when we're not reacting in the 3rd summer ahead accordingly. With that I can't argue.
The same thing was being thrown about when he had played 1 game in 15. He's not overplayed, it's just an excuse for his poor performances.

3 starts in 18 days. Needs a rest...

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
The same thing was being thrown about when he had played 1 game in 15. He's not overplayed, it's just an excuse for his poor performances.
...and the same can be said about entire team in that manner when we don't even have replacement for Carrick and you already want Matic out.

Sure he's visbly poor lately and Mourinho admitted that we need improvements in midfield. Let's see if he and the club will deliver in the summer, but right now there's no bigger options.

ivaldo

...and the same can be said about entire team in that manner when we don't even have replacement for Carrick and you already want Matic out.

Sure he's visbly poor lately and Mourinho admitted that we need improvements in midfield. Let's see if he and the club will deliver in the summer, but right now there's no bigger options.
Who said I want Matic out? I like Matic and was a big advocate for his signing, but it doesn't mean ill make up excuses for him. He's not tired, he's just playing poorly. This excuse just keeps coming out time and time again and it's absolutely untrue.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Who said I want Matic out? I like Matic and was a big advocate for his signing, but it doesn't mean ill make up excuses for him. He's not tired, he's just playing poorly. This excuse just keeps coming out time and time again and it's absolutely untrue.
After playing poorly I would be even more keen on resting him, probably for a longer time if we only had a DM to step up in a longer run.

Form dip is enough of excuse to rest him.

haram

Yaya Toure on his toughest opponent: “Matic, I hate him, this bas**rd. He’s such a difficult player to play against. Tall, strong as well. To be able to find an opponent to play against me and stop me, there’s few of them, but Matic was one of the close ones.” [Guardian]

Silver

3 starts in 18 days. Needs a rest...
At what point of the season was this?

Apart from De Gea, Matic has played the highest number of games this season. No other midfield player has played anywhere near to the minutes he's played. How can you not even factor that towards his later performances?

ivaldo

At what point of the season was this?

Apart from De Gea, Matic has played the highest number of games this season. No other midfield player has played anywhere near to the minutes he's played. How can you not even factor that towards his later performances?
Between the 2nd and 30th of Jan he had played 2 games. Is that being "overplayed?" At times it's a valid reason, at others it was just the go to excuse to absolve him of any blame.

Last edited:

Acole9

Outstanding
We need to look at buying a younger version, he can't play the number of games he's currently playing. He needs a rest, had decent moments in the second half of the season but first part he was excellent.

Status
Not open for further replies.