5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

MattyLT

He was good overall yesterday, and I rated him a 7 in the post match thread. But I struggle to see what he offers that most midfielders couldn't. I suppose his strongest feats these days are that he's experienced and level-headed, plays it safe, and doesn't concede possession a lot. That might be a good thing to have in a young side, especially on the training ground. Also, he offers a bit of aerial power when he drops down between the central defenders. But he neither covers a lot of ground (like Fred), or offers strong protection in a more disciplined central role (like which United player?). If Phil Jones wasn't made out of glass, he'd be competing for that role.

Last edited:

Sylar

We got away with it, but also should mean that fred is rested for Leeds where we will need more legs.

Not a good game IMO especially first half.

Litch

Thought he was poor today, takes too many touches......

acnumber9

He was knackered around the 70 minute mark. Generally did quite well though.

dogwithabone

Thought that was his best game this season, maybe better than anything he produced last season. Top class tonight.

Thiagoal

Thought he was composed and broke up play really well! Good performance

Jonno

People saying he’s a slow passer, but he’s looking for the direct straight pass through lines which can split teams open. He’s often encouraging this type of pass and has to go sideways if it’s not available. Intelligent passing, when it comes off.

Broke up play well, good game

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Thought he was poor today, takes too many touches......

He always does, its because he can't use his right foot. It always scares me watching him try a hundred touches deep in our own half to try get it on his left foot.

Kag

That was his best game of the season by some distance and any criticism is completely unwarranted. I don’t particularly like having Matic in the team either, but let’s be fair. He’s still the best we’ve got in terms of breaking the lines from midfield.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Really cannot see how he’s being criticised tonight apart from one late sloppy pass was excellent all round today.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
When he celebrated the goal with Cavani, I felt like watching two grandpas high-fiving each other and smiling. They're so old it makes me sad.. they're at least 70 i reckon.

He’s great on the ball, but has so little energy, and is so slow. Plays as a third CB half the time.

today is the sort of game he should be playing to give others a rest, but is not a starter anymore (or shouldn’t be) in important matches.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
He’s great on the ball, but has so little energy, and is so slow. Plays as a third CB half the time.

today is the sort of game he should be playing to give others a rest, but is not a starter anymore (or shouldn’t be) in important matches.
That's surely tactical though. He played a large chunk of today's game as a third centre half to allow us to play out from the back and to push Telles on

That's surely tactical though. He played a large chunk of today's game as a third centre half to allow us to play out from the back and to push Telles on
Potentially. 20 years ago, someone like him could have played another few years at the top, but don’t think he can in this day and age.

DavelinaJolie

People saying he’s a slow passer, but he’s looking for the direct straight pass through lines which can split teams open. He’s often encouraging this type of pass and has to go sideways if it’s not available. Intelligent passing, when it comes off.

This is one of the things I love about his game, he's looking to play incisive passes to press forward, his passing is really quite good and he is clever with it. It's a shame he has no pace, but he plays with composure and tries to progress up the field.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
I thought he played well. Crucial intervention at the death too, leading to Martial's goal.

People need to temper their expectations. It's not his fault he's the only DM we have - he is a squad player and a good one at that.

Backrow Singer

I thought he was really good today. Thought some of his work when he dropped into the back three to help with the build up was really beneficial for us and he broke play up well at times as well.

Borys

Statistics Wizard

Which almost never happens, so he should try moving the ball ball quicker at times to make space. You can't just dwell on the ball waiting for heavens to open. He's not that good at passing anyway.

Matic is a weird one, he is so good at short passing and beating the press, yet he likes to hold to the ball and run himself into corners. Bizarre.

el3mel

Yeah I haven't been that convinced with him recently but thought he was really good tonight. Our midfield was mostly in control today.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Yeah I haven't been that convinced with him recently but thought he was really good tonight. Our midfield was mostly in control today.
If the opposition doesn't press him or Pogba, they will just boss it.

Yup.

Come on man, we played with no left forward and from minute one Telles starting position was in their half with Matic dropping to LCB in the build up.

You must have noticed that, because it worked an absolute treat and was a big part of the reason we utterly dominated.
didn’t think there was any need for it, and as a result Maguire was pushing forward rather than Matic. It’s not based on one game, he plays far too deep most of the time he plays. It was Maguire who often got pushed to the left.

didn’t think there was any need for it, and as a result Maguire was pushing forward rather than Matic. It’s not based on one game, he plays far too deep most of the time he plays. It was Maguire who often got pushed to the left.
https://highlightsfootball.net/video/everton-vs-manchester-united-highlights-4/

3:50 here was the perfect example of the tactic we were playing with Matic dropping to LCB and Telles basically playing left wing, in the build up.

Andersons Dietician

I was fearing the worst after the first 90 secs and was wondering if it was going to be one of those Matic days.
Really had some nice moments and I quite liked the him dropping back to LCB and us playing a 3 at the back at times.

Jonno

Which almost never happens, so he should try moving the ball ball quicker at times to make space. You can't just dwell on the ball waiting for heavens to open. He's not that good at passing anyway.

Matic is a weird one, he is so good at short passing and beating the press, yet he likes to hold to the ball and run himself into corners. Bizarre.
No, because he'll try pass it quicker, to an option that isn't there, and then you and the rest of the internet will say "he's a bad passer, he shouldn't pass down blind alleys". If the pass isn't there to be made, it isn't there.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
No, because he'll try pass it quicker, to an option that isn't there, and then you and the rest of the internet will say "he's a bad passer, he shouldn't pass down blind alleys". If the pass isn't there to be made, it isn't there.
You misunderstood my post. I don't want him to attempt Hollywood passes every time he gets the ball. In fact I want him to move the ball quicker, short passing will do as his passing range is not even that good. He's good at two touch football and he doesn't utilize it imo.

He's looking for a pass that never happens. By the time he realises that, everybody is marked and he runs out of options. No wonder he's exhausted after 70mins really considering how much he runs with the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.