5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Castia

Still takes too long on the ball and against better opposition he would look bang average. At least Fred got a rest today and we get the 3 points.
It’s not so much Fred, he could play box to box alongside Matic. When he plays with McTominay they both get sucked in too deep, if he was with Matic he could drop more into midfield knowing Matic is in control with the back 4.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Hate Matic and Pogba midfield but Matic was fantastic. But we look very flat with these two. Great game from Matic.
Maybe it was tactical from Ole but Pogba did not start getting forward until around the 70 minute mark. He only started playing around then.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Defensively he played really well.

When we had possession he played a few really good balls, but at the same time I do feel part of our difficulties playing out from the back is caused by him constantly dropping back as a third central defender and forcing his partner to be a one man midfield. Him dropping back like that only works if we move it fast and hard out wide with our fullbacks rushing up the field, but since our fullbacks don't do that it feels unnecessary a lot of the time.

Devil may care

Dawdled on the ball too much in the first half but stepped it up in the second and started to shift it quicker through the lines.

Kag

Another Matic start, another clean sheet. It really isn’t a coincidence.

He has his flaws but he remains that necessary evil in the midfield. I don’t like Pogba alongside him, though.

acnumber9

I thought it was Matic driving us forward late on too. Didn’t really put a foot wrong.

youngrell

Pleased to see many others picking him for MOTM. Often gets overlooked even when he plays well.

Thought he was excellent tonight. Traore didn’t trouble him at all.

Jacob

He's too immobile. Good defensively but a journeyman going forward.

MiracleInMadrid

Very, very good today. So reassured and calm on the ball. Really knows how to get around players despite his size and age. Clever player.

Strats

He was excellent. My man of the match with Bailly close behind.

NinjaFletch

Him and Pogba do not suit each other and I don't think it worked having Matic slot in at left centre half. I think he played ok within those confines (other than the usual dawdling on the ball – it was nice to hear the bench shouting at him and Maguire so we know that isn't some weird instruction) but that's about it.

Was good on the ball and was keeping up with Traore impressively in the second half given he no longer has working legs. One of our better players for sure. Still need a mobile top DM, though I doubt that will come in January

Walters_19_MuFc

Defensively top class. Still has the best tactical and positional awareness of our midfielders. Yes, he's not as mobile as he used to be but he reads the game so well and did well to stop potential counters by Wolves.

Andersons Dietician

I can understand why he was sitting deep on that left hand side when Traore was there but with Bruno moonlighting as a striker there just isn’t a midfield. Pogba just left as a one man band in there. Both Bruno and Matic do this way too often.

arthurka

Maybe it was tactical from Ole but Pogba did not start getting forward until around the 70 minute mark. He only started playing around then.
Agree but he wasn't any good and offered nothing going forward it defensively for 70 min.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I thought he wasn't great in the first half (probably because of his deep he was instructed to be) but really really good in the second half.

Gordon S

Looks akward with his long legs at times but his close control is really good. Just jogs past player doing little dummys to send them the wrong way. Solid tonight

Plymouth Red

Played well and intelligently. Particularly liked how he demonstrably upped the tempo in the closing stages and encouraged others to inject more urgency.

UnitedChampionsAgain

Thought he was fantastic from start to finish! Great on the ball and won it back so many times.
Has the look of a player who really wants to play which is rare for us.

Foxbatt

He was brilliant today. It's ridiculous to blame him for the position he played. It was tactical.

90 + 5min

Pleased to see many others picking him for MOTM. Often gets overlooked even when he plays well.

Thought he was excellent tonight. Traore didn’t trouble him at all.
Agree. He has played very good when he is been selected. It is just that he isn’t the ”name” and it is easier to have a go at those players. He is having a very good season.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
He was a quality player and it really shows in games like these. So happy he decided to continue here, I like him a lot and it's important to keep resting him and not having him playing too much.

markhughes

Played very well today and was probably our best player, Pogba/Matic is a bad idea though, too immobile when played together, both players need energy alongside them.

criticalanalysis

Was good on the ball and was keeping up with Traore impressively in the second half given he no longer has working legs. One of our better players for sure. Still need a mobile top DM, though I doubt that will come in January
:lol: ffs stop talking like he's going around the pitch on a zimmer frame.

Banana Republic

Measured, assured, determined and the engine that drove the team on.
A great performance and our best player tonight (Bailly 2nd).
Those criticising him being ponderous and slow to move the ball forwards at times, should notice that it was the lack of movement and poor effort from the players ahead, that slowed the play down, particularly in the first half.

KennyBurner

His great first touch and ability to set tempo is whats needed in this team. Look at the way he controls the ball while changing direction. Mctominay needs to learn how to do that.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I don't quite understand why he is always paired with Pogba. I a duo of Matic and one of Fred, McTominay or van de Beek is potentially our best midfield.

With Fred and McTominay we don't move the ball well under high pressure (like first 20mins against Leicester). Matic solves that problem.
Fred and Donny are a bit too weak to play midfield adtmidfield duo in the EPL. Matic gives physical presence.

Why Matic plus Pogba though? Why pairing him with a player who will give him the least support defensively, and basically doesn't allow him to move forward as he clearly likes to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.