Nemanja Matić - Manchester United player

What are your thoughts on this deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Initially I thought it was way too much money for someone with no sell-on value and who haven't been good for a couple of years but if he's one that will free up Pogba and help underperformers like Martial and Hreigurkh Michi raise their level to match their talents, then this will be a good signing. It helps that Mou really wanted him here.
This forum gets far too caught up on the financial aspects of a transfer. Someone's you just need to ask yourself 'does this move make footballing sense', and it most definitely does.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
This will make us a better team. However, I can't help but think that now Chelsea will have a better CDM than we do for the next 4 or 5 years. Of course, no one else has a better CDM than Kante either.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
Good deal, happy with it.

I'm sure he'll prove to be a very good player for the club and bring some much needed balance to our midfield.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Seems he's suddenly become an average shitbag this summer...but he's made 104 appearances in the last three seasons and won two titles. I feel like that wasn't an accident.

Chelsea have got a good deal, that can't be denied...but I feel like we've got a very good midfielder. Herrera Matic Pogba just screams balance to me, and if there's one thing we've lacked for many years in midfield, its balance.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Good signing that should hopefully add a little more steel to the spine of the side.
If he's half as influential as our last Serbian we are doing well

0161_UNITED

More than decent price considering the sheer madness of the market. Matic and Herrera could free up Pogba and might even open up a 4-3-3 option. Not Bale, but I'll take it.

Maajid

Formerly Mad
The old midfield trio of 'one to get it, one to give it, and one to go' is now complete. I foresee good things.

itso 7

He improves us. He will start. But I can't help but feel a bit of a downer because we have been fleeced on the fee.
Same here but gotta say that Jose wanted him badly and he knows the player plus we are becoming light on experience since Van Gaal and Moyes gutted the squad.

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
This forum gets far too caught up on the financial aspects of a transfer. Someone's you just need to ask yourself 'does this move make footballing sense', and it most definitely does.
Someone very rightly once said on here 'imagine it's a tenner if it makes you feel better, because it makes about as much difference to you or I.'

I forget who said it, but it's true.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
2 years ago i would of been thrilled with this signing.

Then he had a season where he was truely dreadful, and then last season he was ok but one of the weaker members o the Chelsea team.

Add to that he has had some pretty big fall outs with Mourinho in the past.

add to that his age and price tag, so has zero sell on value and might even be hard to shift at all if things go sour.

So while i don't think this is a dreadful signing i can't say im thrilled.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
I'm happy with him. I think he'll add a lot to the team and we'll be stronger for having him. That's what you want from any transfer.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
At the minute we've actually weakened Chelsea and strengthened ourselves.

We've: Fellaini, Carrick, Matic, Herrera, Pereira and Pogba.

They have: Bakayoko, (who is an unknown quantity in the PL. And I'm not even sure about him after watching Monaco last season) Fabregas, and some random kids like Baker who I've never heard of!

catmandeu

Supports
north east united
Good signing. Hope we can witness some amazing games from him.

MattyB1986

Seems he's suddenly become an average shitbag this summer...but he's made 104 appearances in the last three seasons and won two titles. I feel like that wasn't an accident.

Chelsea have got a good deal, that can't be denied...but I feel like we've got a very good midfielder. Herrera Matic Pogba just screams balance to me, and if there's one thing we've lacked for many years in midfield, its balance.
Here, here.. Not the most sexiest signing but when you look at it.. Matic knows the league, won it twice.. Jose and Matic know each other inside out... An here and now player who will free up Pogba, Herrera.. Good foundational signing - Matic, Herrera, Pogba on paper is a very balanced midfield that has a bit of everything, so hopefully we can get the 14/15 Matic out.

red4ever 79

They have: Bakayoko, (who is an unknown quantity in the PL. And I'm not even sure about him after watching Monaco last season) Fabregas, and some random kids like Baker who I've never heard of!
So we have 3 decent cm and 2 shi* ones, and Chelsea have 3 decent cm's and an unknown kid

Irrational.

In case some of you missed it, here is a very good video on how Matic could fit into the Jose system here:

(Skip to 8:13 for the relevant segment)

Last edited:

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Same here but gotta say that Jose wanted him badly and he knows the player plus we are becoming light on experience since Van Gaal and Moyes gutted the squad.
Agreed. As a player I think he's what we needed to be fair and the fee won't bother me for long so it's all good. But just takes the initial shine out of it that's all. All things considered in terms of Mourinho knows him, a fit for the system and a fit for a weak area of our team, it's a good signing.

Zoo

£35m is a good deal. He is going to bring some needed league winning know how to the squad in addition to his footballing ability. I like the fact that he can play a bit when needed too.

AKDevil

Matic signs when he's 28 years old. Turns 29 tomorrow. So sky put him in a list of 'most of expensive 29 year old signings.'

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks

They also have Kante but your point stands.

They are in dire need to strengthen their midfield and from their position, this transfer doesn't have much sense to me.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
2 years ago i would of been thrilled with this signing.

Then he had a season where he was truely dreadful, and then last season he was ok but one of the weaker members o the Chelsea team.

Add to that he has had some pretty big fall outs with Mourinho in the past.

add to that his age and price tag, so has zero sell on value and might even be hard to shift at all if things go sour.

So while i don't think this is a dreadful signing i can't say im thrilled.
Hazard was pretty dreadful that season too. Would you be unhappy with us signing him tomorrow?

He was reported to have fallen out with Mourinho. Yet it's Mourinho buying him. The fact that he's still willing to buy the player and the player is willing to work with him maybe suggests that the fall out wasn't as bad as reports would have you believe.

The price tag is equivalent to around £20m a few years back. Probably the same - maybe even less - than Anderson. We don't need to recoup any money from transfers, but he wasn't bought for that purpose anyway. He was brought in to make us a stronger, better team immediately. If things don't work out there will be clubs willing to buy him, and if not, he only has a three year contract.

He's not a glamour signing like Pogba or a young prospect whose potential gets you salivating, like Anderson, but if he comes in and does the job he was brought in to do - make us stronger this season - then it will be a fantastic bit of business.

None of the names we were linked with (Dier, Matic, Fabinho) came without question marks, so I think Matic might be the safest bet of the three.

Paxi

So we have 3 decent cm and 2 shi* ones, and Chelsea have 3 decent cm's and an unknown kid
Er what? Carrick is still good. Can't play every week but during Cup games etc he'll prove to be very useful. Also coming on for last 10 mins to give the team a bit of calmness will prove to invaluable.

Matic - is a top player who Chelsea foolishly sold to a rival.

Herrera - Excellent

Pogba - World class

Pereira - real talent who proved that at Grenada last season.

Fellaini - say what you want about him but clearly he's important to Jose.

So yeah currently our midfield is better than Chelsea's.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Suits me nicely without getting my pulse racing. I'm keener to see what him anchoring the midfield allows us to get out of Pogba and Herrera than what Matic will do himself.

Still, time to dust off that Vidic chant.

Paxi

They also have Kante but your point stands.

They are in dire need to strengthen their midfield and from their position, this transfer doesn't have much sense to me.
Haha I must have copied and deleted him cause I'm sure I had him in there. But yeah they need to strengthen midfield for sure. Unless Conte knows something we don't.

Drifter

American
Really struggling to find any enthusiasm for this signing But welcome to OT i guess.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
Good signing. Intelligent player, excellent technique for a tall fella and superb passer. His weakness are that he's very much left footed and he's not very mobile, which means that he's not the type of player who can fill different positions or fit in different systems.

wolvored

Someone very rightly once said on here 'imagine it's a tenner if it makes you feel better, because it makes about as much difference to you or I.'

I forget who said it, but it's true.
Exactly. Does he improve the side...yes Does he have premiership experience...yes Is he a winner ... yes. feck the cost

Connolly

Very pleased with this. As I said yesterday, PL proven, plenty left in the tank (hopefully) and a style that will allow Pogba to express himself - without having to worry about tracking back in every aspect.

This is a great signing for the club and signals intentions, for the present, that we have a squad which is capable of challenging.

F1D

Not much of a talker but he's says the right things. Let's hope he plays his part in delivering that.
That's the case of all athletes coming from the Balkans, generally speaking.

Giggsyking

i liked this comment

Is he guaranteed a place in the team? Is he an AutoMatic?

:lol: