Nemanja Matic talks about players' disciplinary issues during his spell with United

The Purley King

Also kinda met Big Jens once. At a regular boozer in Finsbury Park. I didn’t go and say hello but my Gooner mate did. His response… “feck off I’m reading my book. feck off. Just feck off” Absolute unit.
Haha, once he’d stood up and was towering over me (I’m 6ft) I thought that I’d better retreat immediately……..
Can’t remember the end of the night but the main purpose was to spend as much as humanly possible as the owner of the company paid us a relative pittance and this was our chance to make him pay at least something.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
The manager can drop these wasters, don't even select them for the bench. And tell the media exactly what, let the wasyers spout their nonsense on social media all they want, it would be a warning to other clubs to avoid them.

They can sulk but eventually might become professional or run down their contracts training alone.
We wouldn't be able to field a full team.

el3mel

Flourished as a little fish in a pond with big sharks. Disciplined role models with vast medal cabinets.

then we made him the big fish in a small pond and he realised brand and sponsorships and lifestyle were more important to him than being a leader on the pitch or role model on the training ground.
Exactly that's what happened. The price tag and the marketing job that United put on him ruined his way of thinking. Remember in his first season when we were playing Liverpool at Old Trafford and the stadium had ads about his Twitter emoji ?!, and Pogba played a godawful game and caused a pen. Man United handled him pretty poorly.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Haha, once he’d stood up and was towering over me (I’m 6ft) I thought that I’d better retreat immediately……..
Can’t remember the end of the night but the main purpose was to spend as much as humanly possible as the owner of the company paid us a relative pittance and this was our chance to make him pay at least something.
What’s weird is that I’d always thought he was one of those wiry goalkeepers. On tv he looked broad shouldered, but relatively slight. Nope. Huge fella.

Oranges038

This is just hindsight. Pogba was a great signing on paper when we got him. The fact he flopped isn't something the board or Mourinho should be blamed for. The only mistake wasn't getting rid when it became clear it's not working, but claiming it wasn't a good deal in 2016 is just hindsight.
He wasn't, it was a huge mistake, the thought off it, the fee, the contract, letting him do whatever the feck he pleased etc etc..

The club knew what he was like the first time round and still went back for seconds. Jose and the club should 100% take the blame for it. But I'd blame the club more than Jose, because he should never have been hired as manager either.

Marwood

There was no questions about Pogba's quality or character when he was at Juventus. If anything he worked his arse off to get from where he was at Man United to become one of the hottest names on the market, becoming an integral part of a CL finalist, Euro finalist and entering the Fifa world XI. No one questioned his commitment or efforts.
So he was perfect until he came under Mourinho's management?

90 + 5min

There was no questions about Pogba's quality or character when he was at Juventus. If anything he worked his arse off to get from where he was at Man United to become one of the hottest names on the market, becoming an integral part of a CL finalist, Euro finalist and entering the Fifa world XI. No one questioned his commitment or efforts.
Yes there was. Just because people don't follow those teams and league doesn't mean everything was fine.

A passenger that somehow got reputation being world class. Thanks to his social media and his fanclub.

Marwood

What time does training start? Some of the clips you see of cars arriving, I never get the impression it's early.

el3mel

He wasn't, it was a huge mistake, the thought off it, the fee, the contract, letting him do whatever the feck he pleased etc etc..

The club knew what he was like the first time round and still went back for seconds. Jose and the club should 100% take the blame for it. But I'd blame the club more than Jose, because he should never have been hired as manager either.
What was he like when let him go on free to Juve ? Ferguson didn't question his discipline or workrate. He questioned his agent and the way he left. The Pogba who played for Man United 2nd time isn't the same one who played for Juve.

Anyone claiming the signing on paper wasn't great in 2016 is just rewriting history.

So he was perfect until he came under Mourinho's management?
More like until Man United decided to make him the icon of their marketing propaganda and build the entire team around him.

Funny because in some sorts we have been doing the same now with Marcus Rashford until we also ruined him.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
The most basic aspect of being professional in any setting is being on fecking time.

Let such a basic standard slip and the rest will soon follow.

I'm not a football manager, obviously, but I do manage a pretty big team in work. If I was a football manager, anyone late to training would be sent to train alone the rest of that week, excluded from the next match day squad and I'd make it know why.

People on minimum wage, who use public transport to get to work, show up on time ffs.

sirAlexsglasses

If the Glazers aren’t bothered whether or not we are successful on the pitch then the players won’t care either and know they can get away without even the bare minimum and still receive their obscene ”salaries” (sorry but a salary is for the working person) these days players are rewarded before they are even first teamers.

Basso

Lateness happens in all societies.
We all have that type in our class, Practice, friend group or at work.

klayton88

Feck that, I'm paranoid about that place, I've learned to keep it vague when discussing my time there.
What a fanny. Don't come in with the insider anecdotes if you aren't going to put your balls on the line. Behaviour of a scouser.

Loon

:lol:
How came disciplinarian Ten Hag hasn’t been stamping this out, unless it is only Sancho now?

90 + 5min

What was he like when let him go on free to Juve ? Ferguson didn't question his discipline or workrate. He questioned his agent and the way he left. The Pogba who played for Man United 2nd time isn't the same one who played for Juve.

Anyone claiming the signing on paper wasn't great in 2016 is just rewriting history.

More like until Man United decided to make him the icon of their marketing propaganda and build the entire team around him.

Funny because in some sorts we have been doing the same now with Marcus Rashford until we also ruined him.
Once again. If you knew what was happening in Juventus you wouldn't write that. 0 discipline. 0 workrate. 99 selfpromotion on social media.

It wasn't great signing on paper and many of us warned about that. Many. But people loved his confidence, new hairstyles and all those dancemoves on instagram that they forgot to look at him as football player.

Lateness happens in all societies.
We all have that type in our class, Practice, friend group or at work.
Yes it does. It is still disrespectful and there should be consenquences. If you add that these guys make more money than any average person would dream of it is even worse. Lazy, disrepectful, non-educated, selfish people.

ti vu

I feel like that 75k could have gone to better use than a party
For white and blue collar workers at the club? Sure. However, as stated that the club lack the punishment system, it's just between the players' thing. They're not responsible to fund raising to give back to the club where in the end the owner may just take this money for themselves in form of dividends. It's also weird to use this fund for donation to charity and leaking club affair explaining about donation being funded by A B C because A B C were often late to training.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
Some people are wired weirdly. Howson said that a former player of ours (I won't mention the name here) would skip training 3 weeks in a row knowing that his club (not Man United) could only cut 2 weeks of salary per month. Thus he was 'gaining' a week salary for free. That's why its important to have DOFs that have huge connections to the game. These people would know what is happening on the training pitch and what sort of character that player is
I really would be surprised if that's true. Skipping 3 weeks training in a row would be grounds for dismissal and you'd definitely be sold in the very next window.

Fergies Gum

Some people are wired weirdly. Howson said that a former player of ours (I won't mention the name here) would skip training 3 weeks in a row knowing that his club (not Man United) could only cut 2 weeks of salary per month. Thus he was 'gaining' a week salary for free. That's why its important to have DOFs that have huge connections to the game. These people would know what is happening on the training pitch and what sort of character that player is
Pretty obvious Howson is making that story up.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Oh wow nevermind, I could absolutely believe it about him. He's the only one I'd believe such a crazy story about.
I think it was supposedly at Lazio, he realised that if he did a certain amount of consecutive training then he could fly home for a certain period and miss training for a while with no major repercussions.

jadaba

What concerns me most in these comments is not the persistent lateness from a number of players, but the fact that those players who were on time had to take it upon themselves to form an 'internal disciplinary committee'!? Why on earth were the players the ones leading this, it couldn't have boded well for the team's spirit and surely it would've been a source of resentment or a cause for tension among players. This is the responsibility of a manager and to outsource or totally neglect this kind of discipline to the point that players themselves take the initiative is pretty alarming.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Pretty obvious Howson is making that story up.
Well he actually named the player so he either have proof of what he's saying or else he's walking on very thin water especially since the player in question still plays football

Honestly we shouldn't really be surprised of what's happening at United. This squad had a reputation of being lazy since Mourinho times. In recent times it also won the reputation of being Real Madrid's unofficial resting home ie by getting players like Ronaldo, Casemiro and Varane who won it all and came here to earn that last pay cheque. These players turned against Ole who is the teddy bear of management. If Ole wasn't accommodating enough for them then I really wonder how on earth we expected them to be happy with a manager who believe in a high intensity/high workrate style of football. This is like when we brought a young SAF to manage a squad of drunks. Shit was set to hit fan.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
75 fecking grand. Christ what a collection of wankers we have
A few years ago Aston Villa's fine list got leaked. Late for training was valued at 500 quid. 75k/500 quid means 150 late-commings. With our scheudle (league, cl, cups) i dont think we actualy do more than 4/5 training sessions a week. So i wonder how many people were late on a constant basis.

Velvet Revolver

So many ex players and mangers have mentioned this and nothing has been done since. This is all on the management, it seems like at least going by quotes, manager has no real power in the way he wants his team to be setup and players. I mean we are not the only team that has players with attitude but none of them have the power over the club except ours. Imagine if Sancho acted out at City, he would have been sold that very next window no questions asked. We somehow have let all these so called professionals run their way and run this club to ground.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Hazard barely trained, but that doesnt fit Nemanjas narrative here.
You're allowed to be a shit trainer if you put in the performances Hazard did for Chelsea.

Good trainer + good performance is what you want.

Shit trainer + good performance is acceptable (if the performance is good enough).

Shit trainer + shit performance is totally unacceptable.

Dve

In his recent discussion on a Serbian podcast, Nemanja discussed his experience playing for Manchester United. He mentioned readily accepting Mourinho's offer upon receiving a call from him and highlighted the warm reception he received from the fans when he joined United. He also said that in his opinion Leicester have the best training centre in England.

But he also talked about disciplinary issues within the club.

He said: At Chelsea, players acted professionally, they were punctual, and were never late for training, but in United it happened almost every day. Among the players who would always be late were Paul Pogba and Jadon Sancho, and couple of other players. The rest of us who were always on time were angry, so we decided to form a kind of an internal disciplinary committee with me serving as its president. I placed a sheet of paper on the wall where I documented the names of individuals arriving late. During one particular season, we collected around £75,000 in fines. We had planned to use the money to throw a party in a London nightclub (wtf?) but we didn't, due to the outbreak of the COVID pandemic.

So, this all started during Mourinho’s tenure, and continued well into Ole’s reign.

Source:
No problem kicking those two already laying, Matic, while the ones still standing are referred to as "a couple of other players". Name no one, Matic, or name them all.