Neville confirms what we knew all along

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Idiotic stuff to say if you’re not going to name names. Don’t mind Neville but this is bloody daft of him.
Agreed. If you’re going to say something like that then you may as well nuke the fecking place, rather than open a can of worms.

Shimo

"I know the truth but, am not going to tell you" Why even say anything then if he isn't going to name the parties? He is just catering to the angry mob and resulting speculation / finger pointing towards players that may not even be involved because people don't like how some are performing or whatever reason they just don't like a player as a person.

Paxi

I read Neville's comments as more of a warning to the leaker than anything else. If you keep talking to the press, I'll reveal who you are - I'm sure it will come up on Sky.
Hopefully this is a correct take.

devilo

Also I don't think Pogba is amongst the players leaking, Riaolo pretty much says whatever he wants to whomever anyway, doesn't need to leak anything.
Oh FFS, here we go again! :lol:

crossy1686

career ending
Agreed. If you’re going to say something like that then you may as well nuke the fecking place, rather than open a can of worms.
:lol: As much as I'd love that, I think he's suggesting it's not the players themselves who are briefing the press, but their agents and PR teams. It's within their best interest to make the manager or the club look incompetent rather than the player be shit. The 10% cut of whatever their client makes is way better when your client makes £250k a week instead of £50k a week.

Dante

Average bang
It's far more logical that those english players are leaking to the press. Listen to what Neville said its clear its coming from a contingent who have very good relationships with the English media. That would likely players who would have British teams.
Everyone at United plays for a British team.
It is quite clear, it fuels fans agenda. Dislike player = leaking to the press.
Spot on.

If you dislike player X, then player X must be the one who's responsible for everything bad including the leaks. The agendas are utterly transparent.

NickSantigo

Ralf is not moving upstairs. We need to get past this idea. Manchester United has given him a two year consultancy. That may mean anything from him being available to advise full time to he has a monthly or quarterly catch up with John Murtough. What it does not mean is that he will have any real role within the Man Utd structure. Manchester United has never indicated that Ralf was going to be a director of any sort or any thing. The fact Manchester United is briefing that it will hire a deputy director of football, despite Rangnick's consultancy, should put into focus that Ralf is not going to be a big part of the future unless something monumental changes.
You are correct in saying we have no idea what the consultancy role will entail.
John Murtough has huge respect for Ralf and sought him out for the interim role. His experience in the director role is superb. Murtough would be a moron if he didn't get him to advise full-time when he now has a great knowledge of our squad on top of his experience.
Time will tell I suppose

Gandalf

Pretty obvious Lingard is one of the leakers. The stuff about him that was coming out in January was so blatantly straight out of his mouth that it was almost laughable that the media tried to hide it behind "sources". Howson mentioned a while back that Rio had confirmed Henderson was leaking to the press and although Howson is not some unimpeachable source I doubt he would have made something up and then thrown Rio's name in there as he would not want to burn a bridge with his best connection. I have not seen any leaks claiming sources within the squad feel that Maguire has the pace of a racehorse and the passing range of prime Beckham so I don't think Harry is leaking.

Paxi

:lol: As much as I'd love that, I think he's suggesting it's not the players themselves who are briefing the press, but their agents and PR teams. It's within their best interest to make the manager or the club look incompetent rather than the player be shit. The 10% cut of whatever their client makes is way better when your client makes £250k a week instead of £50k a week.
But then he would know whom is managing whom. Also I believe he’s just saying that to cover his real sources, as someone has previously mentioned in this thread, I believe that he would get this information from people directly within the club which is plausible.

In any case, I wish he would have just leaked it himself to the press, as to whom the culprits are. That would probably be the only way to go, without him doing something that would be libellous.

red4ever 79

What criticisms do you have for them?
For example when Elanga missed that pen against Boro in the cup, his PR team were putting it out on twitter 'keep your head up' something like that. I mean come on, dude literally shares a dressing room with the kid and can give him a pep talk there, but oh no his Team have to get it out then for Brand Marcus.

hobbers

:lol: As much as I'd love that, I think he's suggesting it's not the players themselves who are briefing the press, but their agents and PR teams.
This is where you have to look at Rashford's and Maguire's entourages for me. It doesn't even necessarily have to be leaks and briefings done with their knowledge. Harry especially seems thick enough to have his own family leak stories and him not realise they're originating from him.

The pair of them have had abysmal seasons, are two of the highest profile England players, both know Neville very well and both have rampant PR machines. If it was one or both of them Neville definitely wouldn't be naming them.

Classical Mechanic

This is where you have to look at Rashford's and Maguire's entourages for me. It doesn't even necessarily have to be leaks and briefings done with their knowledge. Harry especially seems thick enough to have his own family leak stories and him not realise they're originating from him.

The pair of them have had abysmal seasons, are two of the highest profile England players, both know Neville very well and both have rampant PR machines. If it was one or both of them Neville definitely wouldn't be naming them.
Neville isn't getting his information from a player, he's getting it from a journalist who gets it from a player. Rashford does a lot of PR through social media but Maguire's social media presence is as sparse and as bland as the rest of the team.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
You are correct in saying we have no idea what the consultancy role will entail.
John Murtough has huge respect for Ralf and sought him out for the interim role. His experience in the director role is superb. Murtough would be a moron if he didn't get him to advise full-time when he now has a great knowledge of our squad on top of his experience.
Time will tell I suppose
I'm more cynical than you.

United does not give off the impression of wanting someone to come in and really rock the boat. They love a bit of PR. However, bringing in people from outside and giving them real decision making power? All the major appointments lately have been internal and I'd be very surprised if that changes much.

You're right, Rangnick is admired by Murtough but will he be leaned on heavily by Murtough or the people above Murtough? By all accounts, the German media was clear that Rangnick wanted to improve the squad in January. That didn't happen. So how much is he being heard?

I think United like the perception of being seen to have a plan. Whether they're up for making it a reality is yet to be seen.

As I said earlier, no coach or football director is going to win this Board the commercial tie ups they want. Marcus Rashford's abs are more likely to sell products than Ralf Rangnick's face. So, in a competition between players and coaches the suits will always go with the players. That's why we're in this mess. And why, regardless of what deckchairs get rearranged on the titanic, we'll be right back here this time next season.

captaincantona

The problem with leaks is that it is not an individual thing...it’s a cultural thing...it’s something that’s deemed acceptable by the collective. No one would have dared open their mouths in some of our old dressing rooms. But the foundations have been laid now. It’s very very disappointing.

The issue is not even the media attention...it’s the finger pointing instead of knuckling down. Although look where that got Donny.

hobbers

Neville isn't getting his information from a player, he's getting it from a journalist who gets it from a player. Rashford does a lot of PR through social media but Maguire's social media presence is as sparse and as bland as the rest of the team.
Well to be exact he's getting it from a journalist, who's getting it from an agent/family member of a player. I doubt any of the really bad leaks are done directly from player to journalist.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
By that logic we don't need to sell them all which is what I was saying. Yes we need upgrades (badly in some areas) and to move on the bad apples but it's just seems a bit reactionary to say wholesale changes are needed.
But wholesale changes are needed. By shunting the current dopes to squad roles and brining in more quality.

Our strikers are ancient
Rashford looks done as a top player
Bruno there is hope for ability wise but he needs a good manager to help him get his head right
wide area has always been a problem - I think Sancho is starting to settle
Midfield we all agree on is just not good enough
Defence is bang average to just awful. Varane is not even looking as good as I had hoped he would.

They get outplayed and outfought by every team they play - thats damning

It cant be done in one window but we need to start somewhere

GlasgowCeltic

Don't think Maguire's the type, thin skinned and not good enough maybe but I don't think he'd go against the club

Smores

Think he's said that as a bit of a warning. Whoever it is and i have my suspicions like most, they won't want it widely known they're a trouble maker.

choccy77

But wholesale changes are needed. By shunting the current dopes to squad roles and brining in more quality.

Our strikers are ancient
Rashford looks done as a top player
Bruno there is hope for ability wise but he needs a good manager to help him get his head right
wide area has always been a problem - I think Sancho is starting to settle
Midfield we all agree on is just not good enough
Defence is bang average to just awful. Varane is not even looking as good as I had hoped he would.

They get outplayed and outfought by every team they play - thats damning

It cant be done in one window but we need to start somewhere
We say this every year.

The record is no longer stuck, its broken

United Hobbit

I'm sick to the back teeth of the whole lot of them bar a select few e.g. DDG and Sancho seems OK.

Im surprised no one has mentioned Bruno, it wouldn't knock me over with a feather if it was revealed to be him.

Maguire for me, although not all his fault, feels like the epitome of our pathetic failures in recent times.

It wouldn't shock me if he was involved, but he seems a bit wet to do so, plus he always plays.

I'd punt at J Lingz too

House Mkhitaryan

He's not confirming anything. He is saying he doesn't like "the reports" and that he has no inside information at the club, just that he has read about it in the papers. Title of this thread and OP is wildly inaccurate IMO.

Oldtraffordboy

Not based on much, but I don't think its Shaw.

I'm not his biggest fan but given his comments about the team lacking togetherness, I suspect he hates the toxicity and he's outside of the clique/individuals briefing against the manager.

romufc

It's far more logical that those english players are leaking to the press. Listen to what Neville said its clear its coming from a contingent who have very good relationships with the English media. That would likely players who would have British teams.
Yes, they can be English players but we also have to look at what the leaks are. These are about training, playing time and the like. IMO it's more likely someone who isnt playing.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Makes a change doesn't it! Instead of further leaks about how Rangnick is not doing what the players want, we'll see speculation about who the toxic elements are in the dressing room :lol:

Get them the feck out. The player power at the club is absolute poison.

AFC NimbleThumb

Yes, they can be English players but we also have to look at what the leaks are. These are about training, playing time and the like. IMO it's more likely someone who isnt playing.
Both Shaw & Maguire are playing by default. If Lindelof doesn’t have the off-field issue & Telles doesn’t contract Covid then their both getting fewer minutes. Ralf outed Shaw in an interview before he was in the role, he definitely doesn’t rate him. Those 2 have to be top candidates for mouthpieces.

automaticflare

Don't understand why people have a problem with what Neville said.
I 100% believe he knows exactly who it is.
Him giving away his sources, whether they are journalists or otherwise would be silly when he has the inside track.
I think his comments were spot on and he stood up for the fans saying we all see through it and pushing the narrative from the other direction than whatever players are leaking things are doing.

I also saw an article saying he has gone 180 criticizing managers now which I found ludicrous. I don't think he has been criticizing Ralf and is calling out the players a lot.

romufc

Both Shaw & Maguire are playing by default. If Lindelof doesn’t have the off-field issue & Telles doesn’t contract Covid then their both getting fewer minutes. Ralf outed Shaw in an interview before he was in the role, he definitely doesn’t rate him. Those 2 have to be top candidates for mouthpieces.
Shaw maybe but definitely not Maguire, I dont even know where people get this from?

Since Ralf has come in, Maguire has been benched twice, the 2 games he came back from injury? What excuses were there before that?