Neville: Varane, Sancho, Kane

Matthew84!

I think if we signed them we probably would win the league, imagine having Greenwood and Cavani rotating in and out.
If DDG wages are cut thats Kanes wages.
If Martial leaves his wages goes to Sancho.
Varane would take whoever leaves of Bailey or Lindelof.
It is possible yes,
Will we? Ha no way.

AgentSmith

Sancho and Varane seem financially viable when combining our supposed budget with further money raised by sales. Whether they’re actually realistic is another question.

Kane is a pipe dream. Literally, because only oil money will be able to afford him this summer.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Maybe I'm missing something. But it seems like we want a team of basically forward players.

You need decent forwards no doubt but the team is the sum of its parts. Even someone like Bamford is getting goals but he has a team behind him that can battle and win the ball and get it up to him on a regular basis.

Surely a decent MF is the priority. Ball winners, forward passers who offer both a first line of defence to the defenders and can pick out the runs of wingers and strikers?

Teams walk through our MF. We lose the ball almost as soon as we have it, inviting pressure. We pass sideways and back.

For me we get the MF right and our defence looks better and our forwards get more reward
We? That’s Neville’s choice.

The majority here are more pragmatic and would appear to be thinking along the lines of a:?CB,CDM and AM

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
Maybe I'm missing something. But it seems like we want a team of basically forward players.

You need decent forwards no doubt but the team is the sum of its parts. Even someone like Bamford is getting goals but he has a team behind him that can battle and win the ball and get it up to him on a regular basis.

Surely a decent MF is the priority. Ball winners, forward passers who offer both a first line of defence to the defenders and can pick out the runs of wingers and strikers?

Teams walk through our MF. We lose the ball almost as soon as we have it, inviting pressure. We pass sideways and back.

For me we get the MF right and our defence looks better and our forwards get more reward
Donut FC from now till eternity :( :(

amsoUG

Not just Europa mate. He’s won the golden boot but against the better organised sides Spurs have struggled to create chances. Nevertheless a lot of his goals have been brilliantly taken and down to how good he is.

Still rather we didn’t attempt to sign him
Am not interested in another stat merchant in Kane that is going to perform at the expense of the whole team. There is a reason why Man City is performing so well under Pep - he drills selflessness, so much that his talisman is a midfielder with only a handful of goals yet his teams perform. This business of we need so and so to score us goals, so and so to create chances, so and so to cover the defense is wrong. We already have good players to compete if the selfish and glory hunting mentality is addressed.

Roane

The majority here are more pragmatic and would appear to be thinking along the lines of a:?CB,CDM and AM
Fair enough. I obviously don't mean everyone but in my defence I do read a lot, on various platforms, about who we need and majority seem to be forward inclined players.

For what it's worth I do think we need a good striker myself. Cavani is great but getting on. Greenwood is potential but imo you need more than an aging striker and potential if you want to challenge for the top.

However if we get our MF right then I honestly believe we could even utilize an Ings rather than a huge money signing. Could be wrong obviously but for me we need a MF solution first and foremost.

always_hoping

For me the priority signings

1) top quality and experienced CDM
2) good quality Centre back to partner Maguire.
3) right winger one that can score and create in double figures and give a good balance to the team

4) a consistent goal scoring striker

The first three will be required if United have plans for progress next season.

The ball is in Glazers court, failure to deliver those signings will prove their lack of ambition to win trophies and the incompetece of their business men buddies overseeing transfers and player contracts.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Top well rounded DM and Sancho moves the team up a level easily. Allows a more attacking lineup instead of McFred, and Sancho offers supreme creativity against teams set up similar to Villarreal

mu4c_20le

I don't think we are even looking for a CDM, I remember awhile ago there was a report that Murtough and Fletcher felt the central midfield was not a priority and we'll only sign someone if there is value. We haven't been linked with Bissouma, and Neves' name only did the rounds because we were interested once and Wolves are literally putting him up for sale.

Neville isn't the only one to bang on about Kane, I'm sure almost every pundit has mentioned it, most notably Paul Scholes about 3 years ago, he knew way before anyone that we needed a proper centre forward, butobviously Kane was completely untouchable back then./

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Nice from Gary. Put unrealistic targets then absolve Ole of any blame when we inevitably win nothing next season again.

VanHaal'sRedArmy

Sancho, Varane, Zakaria. Of course if you can get Kane you go for it. I doubt his contract situation allows him to move this summer though.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Those three and we should challenge.

if we don’t, we need a new manager. It’s not a controversial suggestion.

jlecesne

Personally I don’t see Kane. Varane, Rice, and Sancho is the ideal summer. Cavani, greenwood, martial, rashford can all share the number 9 role in the short term and get Haaland next summer

Blueman

Supports
Man City
Neville has been raving on how Cavani, Rashford and Mason are our best front 3 - his understanding of the game is very theoretical and questionable.

As Ole spends big, he is setting himself up for being fired - it will have to come with consequences from the board.

From yesterday's game, we all saw that many of our attacking players except Cavani do not have the right mindset to play as a collective. They were all trying hard to impress.
I support this :)

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Neville has been raving on how Cavani, Rashford and Mason are our best front 3 - his understanding of the game is very theoretical and questionable.
Ermmmm.....well what is it then if it's not that 3?

That's definitely our best front 3 for me.

bsCallout

Not only is he in dreamland, he's missing the gaping hole in the middle of the pitch.

I'm going for Varane, Neves, Grealish.

Godfather

Love Nev and his little Barbieworld he lives in. We'll be lucky if we get one of those guys let alone all three.

Also a Matic replacement is missing if we are at it. I want a younger version of him for us.

tomaldinho1

Doesn't Varane have hip issues now? He's torn his abductor like three times in four seasons - he's someone I always wanted when you was younger but that strikes me as high risk. Real are a bit like Bayern, if they're selling we should buy with high caution.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Doesn't Varane have hip issues now? He's torn his abductor like three times in four seasons - he's someone I always wanted when you was younger but that strikes me as high risk. Real are a bit like Bayern, if they're selling we should buy with high caution.
They’ve offered him a big fat contract and he wants a new challenge.

Ace

Signing any other position player before addressing our midfield is complete madness.

tomaldinho1

They’ve offered him a big fat contract and he wants a new challenge.
Ah the old Bayern and Thiago backstory...
I think he's a top player this just seems like a complete change in transfer strategy from the whole we only buy young players thing to basically just becoming standard United transfers (linked with Ronaldo and players nearing their thirties). I might have to dust off my 'welcome to Manchester, Nicolas Gaitan' banner.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Ah the old Bayern and Thiago backstory...
I think he's a top player this just seems like a complete change in transfer strategy from the whole we only buy young players thing to basically just becoming standard United transfers (linked with Ronaldo and players nearing their thirties). I might have to dust off my 'welcome to Manchester, Nicolas Gaitan' banner.
In my mind it’s just good squad management. If Cavani has shown anything it’s that experience is invaluable. Ferguson knew this all too well. We’re absolutely stacked with young talent, it’s almost an embarrassment of riches when you look at Rashford, Greenwood, Wan Bissaka in the first team, Amad and Shoretire on the fringes and then the likes of Meijbri, Elanga, Fish and Mengi knocking on the door in the academy. We’ve already got enough of an investment in youth and after a while it becomes in danger of being a Wenger “5 year plan” which never comes to fruition because players become impatient.

What we need is to get a squad with the right balance throughout it, accustomed to success so when the young lads come through, they learn to win and it becomes a habit. Signing players like Varane can help with that. He’s won’t it all and he’s still the right age with 4/5 years peak ahead of him.

Dr. StrangeHate

Gary Neville has stated without hesitation that the 3 players we should sign are the 3 aforementioned: Varane for his vast experience, Sancho and Kane for obvious reasons.

Realistic or flight of fancy? No mention of a quality CDM
Is it realistic to spend 300 million in one summer. Even City spend that over two windows.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I just want to indulge for a minute in this muppetry. So, Sancho 80m, Varane let's say 40m (it's unlikely they get that price they probably put feelers out on), Kane 120m. 240m, not counting agent fees and wages. Let's play the hypothetical subjective game:

Lingard out, 25m (best case scenario)
Dalot out, 10m (best case scenario)
Martial out, 40m (don't think this is the time to sell him, low stock and will be useful on the left, but we'd definitely need money if we were going on a spree)
Pereira out, 3m
De Gea out, a fee high enough to cover half his wages for the remainder of his deal which over two years is 40m, so 20m and half his wages subsidised (absolute best case scenario) - zero net overall
Bailly out, 12m
Matic out, 8m (to Roma)
Mata end of contract
Romero end of contract
Grant end of contract

98m in.

In terms of wages (all rumoured)
de Gea 375K
Bailly 80K
Lingard 75K
Matic 120K
Martial 250K
Mata 160K
Romero 70K
Grant 30K
Dalot 25K
Pereira 30K

That's more than 58m annually in wages saved. Not astronomically insurmountable, but would represent the biggest outlay since the wild west of Mourinho and LVG.

Caveat 1: I don't think either de Gea or Henderson is what we need, but selling Henderson for 30m would bag Donnarumma's "free transfer" with view to Raiola's cut, alternatively, we see if there is even the slightest chance with ter Stegen
Caveat 2: If Pogba goes, I'd expect us to sign a midfielder who can pass and is good on the ball, but let's leave that out for now.

Oranges038

Could buy any amount of strikers and defenders.

This team will win feck all with Fred and McT in the middle.

Raveneye

Sancho will be signed to placate the fans. While ordinarily I'd prefer a young CB, Varane just seems too good an option to pass up at this point with one year on his contract and Zidane leaving Real Madrid. I reckon we can buy him pretty cheaply.

We need a dedicated CDM way more than we need Kane. A CDM would be a force multiplier who would instantly make any one of Fred, McTominay, Mejbri or Pogba look way better.

Don't get me wrong, Kane would absolutely improve us. He's world class and has developed the hold-up and playmaking aspects of his abilities superbly. If you think Bruno is scoring freely now, just think how many he'd get when he can run past Kane into the box. But he'd cost way more money than I reckon we have available.

Raveneye

Could buy any amount of strikers and defenders.

This team will win feck all with Fred and McT in the middle.
As much as I respect the grit and work Fred and McT put in and think they've been done right by the club, I'd agree. I'd pick a world class CDM over Sancho if I had to choose one.

criticalanalysis

Priority signing is the manager and a new set of coaches.

Even with those 3 signed, do you really think Ole will get the best out of them?

Raveneye

Priority signing is the manager and a new set of coaches.

Even with those 3 signed, do you really think Ole will get the best out of them?
Getting the best out of players is one of Ole's positive qualities, so I'm not sure why a replacement manager would help there.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
I'd rather buy grealish instead of kane. He is what we need more than anyone else. Apart from his obvious quality his personality would also be an added bonus.

Kane isn't coming anyways, and after yesterday more so.

Raveneye

I'd rather buy grealish instead of kane. He is what we need more than anyone else. Apart from his obvious quality his personality would also be an added bonus.

Kane isn't coming anyways, and after yesterday more so.
Graelish would cost almost as much as Kane, though I think his ability to play on the left, as a no. 10 or in the pivot would give us invaluable depth of options. If I had 100 million to spend between Kane or Graelish for what our team needs, off the cuff I'd pick Graelish too.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Graelish would cost almost as much as Kane, though I think his ability to play on the left, as a no. 10 or in the pivot would give us invaluable depth of options. If I had 100 million to spend between Kane or Graelish for what our team needs, off the cuff I'd pick Graelish too.

Pep is all over it.

northernfan

I believe that Varane and Kane are in oppisition to current United Philosophy. Neither are under 25 and therefore have a shorter shelf life. If you are going to pay, grab Haaland and/or Rice. Sancho is just another version of Rashford or Greenwood. A bit redundant.

Reactions: Sultan