Gaming New Baghdad-set Assassin's Creed game will reportedly be called Mirage

Giggsyking

The assassin's creed will go back to its roots.

French YouTuber said the next Assassin’s Creed game will make a return to the series’ roots — in more ways than one — in a video partially corroborated by Bloomberg industry writer Jason Schreier.

The game’s title — Assassin’s Creed Mirage — and setting, Baghdad in the late 9th century, are correct, Schreier said on Twitter, citing a person familiar with the project. But other details in the video published Sunday by YouTuber j0nathan are incorrect, he said, such as a setting that involves multiple cities to explore. (The video is in French; a translated summary was provided on Twitter by Rebs Gaming.)

Schreier was not more specific about which additional claims j0nathan made were inaccurate. Bloomberg in February reported that the game, then codenamed Rift, was originally planned as an expansion to Assassin’s Creed Valhalla, and stars a popular supporting character from that game, the assassin Basim.

Ainu

Back to basics, huh? They'll find a way to cram it full of artificial progression systems so they can sell microtransactions anyway. It's Ubisoft.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I liked the horse rides between cities even though it was mostly superficially.

It's not really a very interesting period to be honest , Islamic art and scientific definitely flourished in the so called Islamic golden age but it doesn't really make for an interesting narrative especially considering that some of the caliphs didn't even spend much time in baghdad itself.

Anyway it's Ubisoft so I'm probably gonna ignore it anyway.

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
The location sounds awesome, and Im more than happy to back away from he arcady level progression stuff. But I think giving players the choice of male or female versions of the characters was a great addition. Allowed more people to enjoy the game with the avatar of their choice and carving out their own story. Removing that feels a bit of a step back.

What I think Assassins creed really needs is to back away from the over arcing future plot and keep the focus on the individual games and their self contained story. One of my major complaints about the series has always been being yanked out of the main story to feck around with who ever it is that in the animus who needs an in game break.

Still though, I have a soft spot for these games so Im looking forward to it. Would prefer it was a October/November release but oh well.

Lecland07

I would have preferred if they did ancient China.

Most of that stuff has been said to be wrong by someone at Ubisoft; only the Baghdad part was correct.

hobbers

"Jump into tactical shooters to... test your patience"

Finally a bit of honesty.

Hoof the ball

So, Mirage (Baghdad) is going to be a classic-era stealth game. Around 20 hours long, so about the same length as II, Brotherhood, Revelations, etc. Parkour, social stealth, assassinations, etc.

Japanese one is more for the RPG folks. Open-world.

The Hexe one is Holy Roman Empire and centering around witch trials, etc. Depending on the success of Mirage, could end up being classic-era style.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
I've skipped all of them since origins but Mirage looks more like the originals so will be playing it.

Tyrion

How is a game as bland as the division still going?
All their games are bland. Their Far Cry games, Assassins Creed games, Tom Clancy games and Watchdog Games are basically the same open world crap every time. They're gradually working towards having a single blob called the "Ubisoft game" that we all pay £250 for each year.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
All their games are bland. Their Far Cry games, Assassins Creed games, Tom Clancy games and Watchdog Games are basically the same open world crap every time. They're gradually working towards having a single blob called the "Ubisoft game" that we all pay £250 for each year.
They're basically the exact opposite of Rockstar.

hobbers

Yeah, the last respectable thing any Ubisoft studio put out was probably Black Flag or Trials Fusion, back in 2014.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
How is a game as bland as the division still going?
I still love playing The Division 2. The different gear sets allow for very different play styles and there is still a huge online community to play co-op with.

Tyrion

They're basically the exact opposite of Rockstar.
Basically. I've heard people call their games "typical Ubisoft games" and everyone who's played one of them knows what that means. I played Far Cry Primal, the one set in the stone age, and it was so formulaic that they still had bases to take over and gave me a grappling hook.

Tyrion

Yeah, the last respectable thing any Ubisoft studio put out was probably Black Flag or Trials Fusion, back in 2014.
That wad the last game of there's I kinda liked. I think they should have done a purely pirate game based off Black Flag but apparently they tried to and its turned out completely differently.

Ainu

That wad the last game of there's I kinda liked. I think they should have done a purely pirate game based off Black Flag but apparently they tried to and its turned out completely differently.
They've been working on exactly that game for ages now, it's called Skull & Bones. Early previews from about 5 years ago looked pretty shite and recent footage showed a game that has virtually not advanced at all since then. It still looks crap. Furthermore, there's been some noise coming from developers that worked on the game that have zero confidence in it. With the game supposed to launch on November 8, which is getting pretty close now, this has disaster written all over it.

So yeah, that game will come but keep your expectations well in check.

hobbers

They've been working on exactly that game for ages now, it's called Skull & Bones. Early previews from about 5 years ago looked pretty shite and recent footage showed a game that has virtually not advanced at all since then. It still looks crap. Furthermore, there's been some noise coming from developers that worked on the game that have zero confidence in it. With the game supposed to launch on November 8, which is getting pretty close now, this has disaster written all over it.

Yeh what they've basically done with Skull and Bones is made a game about pirate ships with none of the gameplay elements of Black Flag.

There's no combat other than firing cannons and holding a button for a boarding cutscene.

Tyrion

Yeh what they've basically done with Skull and Bones is made a game about pirate ships with none of the gameplay elements of Black Flag.

There's no combat other than firing cannons and holding a button for a boarding cutscene.
It's incredible how video games companies are simultaneously so profitable and so incompetent.

saik

Releasing on Oct 6th. Most streamers were invited to try it out. Honestly looks so much like Valhalla. Some of them mentioned that it started out as a DLC for Valhalla before branching out as a new game which makes sense when you look at this. Don't see any reason to spend another 80$.

Feel like another cash grab from Ubisoft. I was more excited for Skull and Bones and after watching some gameplay even that game doesn't feel worth it.

saik

Saw some recent gameplay last month and it doesn't look impressive at all. Basically what @hobbers has said. It's like they didn't know which direction they wanted to take with that game. They just wanted to create a pirate game.

Valhalla, Skull and Bones and now this. All of them feel fecking bland. There's no story to write home about and the missions are boring fetch missions. The studio itself needs a reset I think. So many resources, so many studios all over the world and they can't come up with a decent game.

hobbers

Mirage will be another cash grab "reboot" "back to the roots" "oh but here's another 5000 collectible things to fill up your mini map with"

Giggsyking

Releasing on Oct 6th. Most streamers were invited to try it out. Honestly looks so much like Valhalla. Some of them mentioned that it started out as a DLC for Valhalla before branching out as a new game which makes sense when you look at this. Don't see any reason to spend another 80$.

Feel like another cash grab from Ubisoft. I was more excited for Skull and Bones and after watching some gameplay even that game doesn't feel worth it.
I for one cant wait to play it .

saik

I for one cant wait to play it .
Fair enough. I just can't look past how much it looks like Valhalla. Will wait until the game officially releases to see how it does but I don't see any hook in this game to pull me in. The graphics looks impressive but it was also the same with Valhalla and I never finished that game.

Guess I'm just spoiled by Witcher 3 and RDR2. :lol: The first time you reach Novigrad in Witcher 3 or Saint Denis in RDR2 and see how many things there are to do and how the world feels 'alive'. I don't get that from these games.

Hamnat

I mean as stated, it started out as a Valhalla DLC. They expanded that into it's own game so some of the branching elements are clearly visible. So if you didn't like Valhalla at all it would make sense to be wary of this. I didn't mind Valhalla it had issues but for the most part I got my money's worth in entertainment. I watched some of the first impressions streams yesterday. I will likely get it down the line maybe not right away.

T_Model101

Does this one still have Desmond and the tragic future sections when he's not in the animus....?

Bebe

It looking like Valhalla doesn't put me off much as I haven't played an AC game since Origins (which I didn't finish due to the annoying level-gating, but enjoyed overall). If they've paid the same level of attention to detail re: the setting that they did in the "old school" AC games I'll be playing this for that experience alone.

At nowhere near full price though.

Hoof the ball

Fair enough. I just can't look past how much it looks like Valhalla. Will wait until the game officially releases to see how it does but I don't see any hook in this game to pull me in. The graphics looks impressive but it was also the same with Valhalla and I never finished that game.

Guess I'm just spoiled by Witcher 3 and RDR2. :lol: The first time you reach Novigrad in Witcher 3 or Saint Denis in RDR2 and see how many things there are to do and how the world feels 'alive'. I don't get that from these games.
To be fair, Luke Stephens on YouTube can be quite critical on Ubisoft, and he was especially critical on Valhalla, but he got an early hands on with Mirage last week and he really enjoyed it. That gives me hope.

He did say that Baghdad is a very "living" city and that it is densely packed with npcs, so there's lots of potential for very good social stealth.

saik

To be fair, Luke Stephens on YouTube can be quite critical on Ubisoft, and he was especially critical on Valhalla, but he got an early hands on with Mirage last week and he really enjoyed it. That gives me hope.

He did say that Baghdad is a very "living" city and that it is densely packed with npcs, so there's lots of potential for very good social stealth.

I watched his video as well right after RadBrad's video. It felt like he was trying to be as neutral as possible. Although he did go on to say the enemy AI was kind of useless. Stealth would be kind of pointless if the enemy AI cannot do shit when you get caught. Again though, will see after the full game is released if the enemy AI is any better and how good is the exploration is in and around the city.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
The only Assassin's creed game I thought was excellent was Black Flag. I wish they would just do a spin off of it because it's the best pirating game I've ever played. Expected to love the game set in Victorian London but the controls were fecking terrible and it ended up ruining the whole experience. I'm not going to play any other AC game unless it's a remake or sequel to Black Flag.

Hoof the ball

I watched his video as well right after RadBrad's video. It felt like he was trying to be as neutral as possible. Although he did go on to say the enemy AI was kind of useless. Stealth would be kind of pointless if the enemy AI cannot do shit when you get caught. Again though, will see after the full game is released if the enemy AI is any better and how good is the exploration is in and around the city.
Hmmm. I think they made the AI less threatening in general because apparently Basim can only get hit a few times until he's killed. Worried that a strong AI would kill you too easily in regular combat.

Hoof the ball

The only Assassin's creed game I thought was excellent was Black Flag. I wish they would just do a spin off of it because it's the best pirating game I've ever played. Expected to love the game set in Victorian London but the controls were fecking terrible and it ended up ruining the whole experience. I'm not going to play any other AC game unless it's a remake or sequel to Black Flag.
Black Flag is excellent. Unity still to this day, despite the buggy mess of its release, has the best crowd density I've seen in any game ever made period. The game was sickeningly overambitious considering the hardware limitations at that time. So many Npcs filling Paris, and all just very active doing something.

saik

Skull and Bones got made because of the success of Black Flag and they wanted to make another pirate game. But it looks terrible.