New deal for Mata

Pablo76

Fk me what's wrong with people, there's a reason he's been offered an extra year and it's about more than being on the field. It's probably in the article but no, who needs to read those, when we have headlines and feelings....

Great news. Hope he sticks around after.
Because he hasn’t got 92 pace on fifa so he’s obviously no good to have in our squad, didn’t you know!

‘Oh I hope it’s on a reduced salary’. feck off, he’ll get what he deserves and he deserves at least this 1 year extension, especially if he’s going to stay in as a staff member which also makes prefects sense. Shortsighted twats.

flappyjay

Not upset but I want to see the club move on. He’s 33, his legs have gone he should have been released 12 months ago.

I’m not sure this stance of keeping someone around because there a nice guy holds up either it’s professional sport ffs.

Pointless.
I am trying to think which team keeps players for how nice they are.

el3mel

Pointlees player and its honestly laughable that some are saying we should keep player and pay him weekly because he's "good presence in dressing room" even if he will be useless on the pitch.

Raredaredevil

Love him, the nicest and most humble footballer in this world but feels like he is just a mascot at this point.

dalriada

One of our most talented and underused player, he's suffered from the changes of management and management styles. He's too close to the end of his career to make a significant impact, but he's still a useful player to have around and if this is a more settled season, I'd like to see him play more.
Glad he has a year extension, and, yes, he's a great role model and one of the nicest people in football.

Varun1

Why would there be any official confirmation on that until he retires as a player?

The focus officially is still on his playing career.
They might have gentleman's agreements in place for what comes after, but no need to distract by going public with it.
Why wouldn't there be? If he was taking a coaching role for example, why would there be an issue with announcing it? And what would it distract from??

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Pointlees player and its honestly laughable that some are saying we should keep player and pay him weekly because he's "good presence in dressing room" even if he will be useless on the pitch.
I don't get the idea that he's "useless on the pitch".

We know his limited appearances this season were down to personal issues. The season before that, he played 33 appearances, which is plenty.

And in the limited games he did play last season, he played well enough. Good games against the likes of Brighton, Newcastle, Chelsea and West Ham, some decent performances and/or goals/assists in other games and the handful of bad performances you'd also expect. As the official announcement pointed out, even in those limited appearances he was one of a handful of players to be our player of the month along with Cavani, Bruno, Pogba, Rashford and Shaw. Not sure what more you could reasonably expect from an aging squad player in a curtailed season.

Mainoldo

Well done Mata for securing the bag. Lingard good luck next on getting that Mula. Just tell them how much more you’ve done last season than Mata and how come he gets a new deal. They’ll pattern you up.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Yet another demonstration as how United don't operate like a big club.
:lol: we've literally just signed one of the best young forwards on the planet but you're upset that Mata gets to stay 1 more year?

United have made it clear they want him around.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
He's being kept as a coach that plays the odd game, I assume. Seems fine to me.

ROFLUTION

Every team needs experienced squad-depth.

This one also is a great influence in the dressing room. Well done.

KungPaoChicken

Great News,

As mentioned several times, but people seem to ignore again and again. This is not an extention of his old contract. In his old contact the club had the possibiliyy to extend for another year. Since this is a new contact it is fair to assume to think it is on lower wages, maybe with some apparance bonus applied. If not why would the club simply not choose to trigger the extention?

From the rumors he is not going to be a simple ambassador like evra or park was at some point or some u13 coach. It could already be invluded in his new it contact that he will be employed by United after next season in x position.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Bit like later-career Carrick then
Yep.
Sounds good. I'm sure he has all the credentials and experience to be a coach at one of the biggest clubs in the world.
No but with his relationships with the other players he should be able to assist those coaches that do and given we're keeping him on it seems likely they feel that he does that well.

RedorDead21

Poor decision.
Player on big wages who doesn't play... no sell on value...basically crazy decision

I like mata as a person but surely he has took easy option too, thought he might want regular game time at this time.of his career
If only to help Varane settle it’s worth it

UpWithRivers

Anyone unhappy at having Mata for longer can go feck themselves.
Why? Its ridiculous, for Mata as much as United. I actually think he's class and wasted here because we don't need him and when we have we played him out f position 90 percent of the time. If he went to Italy for example he could have a good couple of years before he retires. Might even win the league. If he wants to be a coach then do it after he retires. If we want a coach then we have millions of them and if we want another we can find hundreds that are more qualified. So what is he? A mascot?

Whats the point exactly?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Bruno Fernandes 10 on Instagram and Bruno Fernandes 8 on twitter. Is he Bruno Fernandes 9 on Snapchat?

marktan

What a waste of money. He barely played last season and when he did he was crap.

el3mel

I don't get the idea that he's "useless on the pitch".

We know his limited appearances this season were down to personal issues. The season before that, he played 33 appearances, which is plenty.

And in the limited games he did play last season, he played well enough. Good games against the likes of Brighton, Newcastle, Chelsea and West Ham, some decent performances and/or goals/assists in other games and the handful of bad performances you'd also expect. As the official announcement pointed out, even in those limited appearances he was one of a handful of players to be our player of the month along with Cavani, Bruno, Pogba, Rashford and Shaw. Not sure what more you could reasonably expect from an aging squad player in a curtailed season.
You keep pointing the season before that in which half of it we didn't have Bruno, Pogba was injured most of it and we didn't have Sancho yet.

Mata isn't playing ahead of Sancho, Rashford or Greenwood on the right, and he won't play ahead of Pogba or Bruno in number 10.

He's now effectively a fourth option at best.

Abraxas

And i don't understand all the bitching and moaning, but hey.

He has signed a one year extension, he's wanted by the club and manager, it has no impact whatsoever on our ability to sign other players. Mata never complains, he's played at the highest level for years and he's model professional that always trains well, he's set up a charity where he tries to get people involved in donating a % of their wages. How is he not the perfect player to have around players that earn obscene amounts of money at a very young age? He leads by example, both in terms of training and about the responsibility that should come with being rich, he's also in line for a role within the club when he decides to retire.
Bitching and moaning because people are able to express an opinion different to your own? Stick to the point.

All the points you made have nothing to do with playing football, which was my original point that you have only served to highlight.

He trains well, well..everybody should train well, it's part of the job description and the manager's job to ensure it happens.

He's set up a charity. Neither here nor there. Of absolutely no relevance whatsoever but it is a credit to him.

He's the perfect role model. I guess this has to be the inference to be drawn from the decision because nothing else makes any sense at all. But in my opinion, you have to be able to justify a place as a player too and I'm not sure he does.

He's in line to be a staff member. Maybe? That's the point isn't it, he's playing like a staff member and not a member of the first team such is his age and unsuitability to current PL football. If he's in line to be a staff member we should be bringing him back to do that when he's ready, or offering him a role now, not making charitable decisions.