New forum for football talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILBB15

Annoying Commie
Why is this thread still active?

I haven't read the last 300 posts but I have a feeling that most of them are useless.

B Cantona

Desperate
Why is this thread still active?

I haven't read the last 300 posts but I have a feeling that most of them are useless.
Ugh I didn't have you down as the person I've been moaning about (yes Weaste I'm moaning again :)), but this attitude of it being cool not to read what others have wrote in a thread pisses me off. If you can't be arsed to fecking read it, don't post in it, simple really. If this happened in the footy forum, you'd be on my blacklist

ILBB15

Annoying Commie
Ugh I didn't have you down as the person I've been moaning about (yes Weaste I'm moaning again :)), but this attitude of it being cool not to read what others have wrote in a thread pisses me off. If you can't be arsed to fecking read it, don't post in it, simple really. If this happened in the footy forum, you'd be on my blacklist
:lol:

Keep it cool I'm just fecking around, I've been posting in this thread myself.

I'm not a WUM I just wanted to sound E-cool for a while. :)

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
The suggestion that was made earlier seemed to be the best. As a better filtering system for the new posters, if they cannot prove that they are decent enough within a certain alotted number of posts, then there is no hope. This would probably filter out a lot more of the idiots from the forum.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
I really can't see why the newbs or opposing fans keep entering the debate...

We are all at fault for any downturn, we can and should start to make things better collectively. We spend a lot of time on here - let's make it quality time.

B Cantona

Desperate

Keep it cool I'm just fecking around, I've been posting in this thread myself.

I'm not a WUM I just wanted to sound E-cool for a while. :)
Ah ok! Fair enough, but you inadvertantly point out a clear problem. When a 'respected' posted pisses about like that, obviously it's accepted as ok. But if a newer poster does it, they're depicted as WUM feckarounder, and under the seemingly sticter moderater rulings, would be in some kind of peril. Which to me, well I would have contention with. One rule for all and all that

The simplest and most workable system I can imagine is that the mods are strict on postings. If they suspect someone is playing fast and loose with the spirit of the rules - warning. If they do it again - temp ban. Again - gone. Should they go a specified period of redemption - down a level.

Personally I don't value this 'well the mods don't have that much time' arguement. It's a voluntary position, but I know plenty who could do it and would be willing to do it, and have the time and paticence to spare. And I raise this; half the mods rarely post on site anyway, I see little value for them having the role in the circumstances.

(NOTE and an important one to my preceeding posts credibility; I have raised an interest with the mods over taking on such a mod position, but I make it clear here my views above are irrespective of this. But for clarity reasoning it should be known)

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Well no, it's not. If it was there wouldn't be the huge number of spastics spamming up the forums
It is a newbie forum which is to prevent invasions, returnee and the like. It can't weed out the quality posters in the main because it doesn't give people the opportunity to shine really and likewise feckwits can restrain themselves until promoted.

And there are a lot more spastics with internet access now. Our traffic has increased almost 10x in 4 years and inevitably that extra 90% has a disproportionate number of feckwits. Look at the rest of the internet, it is infested.

ILBB15

Annoying Commie
Ah ok! Fair enough, but you inadvertantly point out a clear problem. When a 'respected' posted pisses about like that, obviously it's accepted as ok. But if a newer poster does it, they're depicted as WUM feckarounder, and under the seemingly sticter moderater rulings, would be in some kind of peril. Which to me, well I would have contention with. One rule for all and all that

The simplest and most workable system I can imagine is that the mods are strict on postings. If they suspect someone is playing fast and loose with the spirit of the rules - warning. If they do it again - temp ban. Again - gone. Should they go a specified period of redemption - down a level.

Personally I don't value this 'well the mods don't have that much time' arguement. It's a voluntary position, but I know plenty who could do it and would be willing to do it, and have the time and paticence to spare. And I raise this; half the mods rarely post on site anyway, I see little value for them having the role in the circumstances.

(NOTE and an important one to my preceeding posts credibility; I have raised an interest with the mods over taking on such a mod position, but I make it clear here my views above are irrespective of this. But for clarity reasoning it should be known)
I agree.

Just don't be mad at me Brad, I don't want to get a bad image here at the caf.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff

You have no idea how many hours we spend moderating this place. The newbie was in many way more time consuming and would have almost doubled the hours required.

In any case we have addressed this issue by changing the format of the forum, got a few posters to help us out as scouts (silly term because it implies picking exceptional quality) and automated the promotion process to some degree.

Further changes will occur over the next few days, weeks and months.

People seem to forget that the newbie was only meant to improve the quality by stopping invasions, returnees and WUMs from disrupting the forums. This has worked very well indeed. You weren't around before the newbie but it was a feclking nightmare when we were invaded by up to 100 scousers (or whatever) just before a game who mixed abuse with spamming of 18-5 or whatever. The forum was never intended as a way of only allowing "quality" posters through and even if that was the intent it has proven that this function isn't possible.

BTW letting it be known that you want to be a mod is a bit like requesting a tag line change i.e. unlikely to result in the outcome you desired. Feck knows why anyone would want to be one anyway.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I really can't see why the newbs or opposing fans keep entering the debate...

We are all at fault for any downturn, we can and should start to make things better collectively. We spend a lot of time on here - let's make it quality time.
Is correct

If we could convert whinging into quality football posts the place would be back on track.

If we could convert whinging into an energy source we would have solved the worlds energy crisis and global warming in one fell swoop.

Then again the byproduct is mainly hot air so maybe not.

B Cantona

Desperate
You have no idea how many hours we spend moderating this place. The newbie was in many way more time consuming and would have almost doubled the hours required.

In any case we have addressed this issue by changing the format of the forum, got a few posters to help us out as scouts (silly term because it implies picking exceptional quality) and automated the promotion process to some degree.

Further changes will occur over the next few days, weeks and months.

People seem to forget that the newbie was only meant to improve the quality by stopping invasions, returnees and WUMs from disrupting the forums. This has worked very well indeed. You weren't around before the newbie but it was a feclking nightmare when we were invaded by up to 100 scousers (or whatever) just before a game who mixed abuse with spamming of 18-5 or whatever. The forum was never intended as a way of only allowing "quality" posters through and even if that was the intent it has proven that this function isn't possible.

BTW letting it be known that you want to be a mod is a bit like requesting a tag line change i.e. unlikely to result in the outcome you desired. Feck knows why anyone would want to be one anyway.
I let it be known because if it somehow leaked that I'd put that request in, it would have dramatically made me look like I was only making the point from a personal gain point of view. Which I honestly stress is not the case, my position on modship hasn't changed, but I do wish to stress my opinions in this thread. I also commend you on not shutting the thread to this point, while it was slightly derailed for a while by people who don't know the time and place to jest, I feel it's a productive forum for exchanging views. Communication between mods and normal posters is essential, your position is voluntary, while you carry some additional powers, you should in no way be thought of as above others or have a better or more valid opinion than them (by them I mean those who have, by their prior actions, demonstrated some amount of non-retardedness)

If time is an issue; appoint more mods. I'm a director for a business in Dale, when time becomes the main constraint on trade, what do we do? We appoint extra bodies, whatever the immediate financial recriminations. Though of course in this case, that latter point doesn't apply, which makes this 'time' point all the more baffling. Don't seek to underappreciate the work done by some mods, but it's not something to be hiding behind

I personally have already come out in support of the newbie forum, think it does it's job and has a clear purpose. I just wonder about some of the promotions sometimes, I think a few have had it a little too easy making it to the mains given their contributions since. And I also think the 'well they seemed ok in the newbies, they changed when they arrived in the mains' arguement someone put earlier is a valid one; they should proved beyond some level or reasonable doubt that they are capable posters before entering the mains. I have no doubt that occured on my part when Sultan promoted me; I wonder if something hasn't changed since then perhaps?

Anyway, despite all this, is important to stress how much of a great site this is, and hopefully the acknowledged change in the forthcoming period will only serve to better that experience for all eh!

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
We do value people opinions. I haven't shut this thread because it has been a good discussion in the main and has rarely descended into merely whinging.

Many, or even all of the issues were already being discussed in the mod forum and this thread ,to me at least, has been a valuable insight into people's thinking. Most or possibly even all of the mods think we need to use a combination of harsher modding of the football forums (hopefully without removing the banter) and the infraction system for real idiots to raise the standard of discussion. For this to work posters need to help us by posting good stuff and trying not to get sidetracked or enage in flame wars.

The point about time applies however many mods we have under current circumstances because we are all admins so we tend to do the urgent admin stuff first, then post a bit ourselves. Then delving through the depths of the newbie in search of "guality" is above and beyond. Even the mods who advocated harsher scouting of the newbie rarely ventured in there themselves no matter what they said. The scout sustem has helped and we will be looking at appointing mods (not admins) to specific forums in the near future (newbie, football and United forum seem to need the most attention) so that there can be a better division of labour.

There is however a balance between having enough mods/admins (bearing in mind there will always be a few of us busy with life stuff at any one time) and having too many. Or worse the wrong admin/mod. Luckily we have always always made good choices probably because we have been so careful with selections.

We have a few other plans for increasing quality and decreasing the prevelence of idiots but that remains in the planning atge at least until Niall gets the second server up and running fully. We also will have an announcement re matters related to some of this discussion very soon indeed.

That all said I still think the best solution is making sure that we drown the rubbish out with decent footy discussion.

Nialler

Alex's Dad
I let it be known because if it somehow leaked that I'd put that request in, it would have dramatically made me look like I was only making the point from a personal gain point of view. Which I honestly stress is not the case, my position on modship hasn't changed, but I do wish to stress my opinions in this thread. I also commend you on not shutting the thread to this point, while it was slightly derailed for a while by people who don't know the time and place to jest, I feel it's a productive forum for exchanging views. Communication between mods and normal posters is essential, your position is voluntary, while you carry some additional powers, you should in no way be thought of as above others or have a better or more valid opinion than them (by them I mean those who have, by their prior actions, demonstrated some amount of non-retardedness)

If time is an issue; appoint more mods. I'm a director for a business in Dale, when time becomes the main constraint on trade, what do we do? We appoint extra bodies, whatever the immediate financial recriminations. Though of course in this case, that latter point doesn't apply, which makes this 'time' point all the more baffling. Don't seek to underappreciate the work done by some mods, but it's not something to be hiding behind

I personally have already come out in support of the newbie forum, think it does it's job and has a clear purpose. I just wonder about some of the promotions sometimes, I think a few have had it a little too easy making it to the mains given their contributions since. And I also think the 'well they seemed ok in the newbies, they changed when they arrived in the mains' arguement someone put earlier is a valid one; they should proved beyond some level or reasonable doubt that they are capable posters before entering the mains. I have no doubt that occured on my part when Sultan promoted me; I wonder if something hasn't changed since then perhaps?

Anyway, despite all this, is important to stress how much of a great site this is, and hopefully the acknowledged change in the forthcoming period will only serve to better that experience for all eh!

how on earth do you have time to be a productive company director when you post on average 1000 posts per month in here ?

B Cantona

Desperate
how on earth do you have time to be a productive company director when you post on average 1000 posts per month in here ?
A tad off topic!

I'm a student working part time for the company, I have to be present for monthly board meetings for the two relevant directorships I hold, the rest of the work I do online at home. Hence at a computer screen, and with no-one to check up on me! My work has to be done, but there is no daily time barrier, as long as it's done within an acceptible time period (usually say month-ish unless urgent) is always fine. I'm also a Phd student, so again most work on a computer, and also some flexibility with time. If you're having a conversation on here with people as I mostly do, it isn't hard to rack up the posts

Nialler

Alex's Dad
A tad off topic!

I'm a student working part time for the company, I have to be present for monthly board meetings for the two relevant directorships I hold, the rest of the work I do online at home. Hence at a computer screen, and with no-one to check up on me! My work has to be done, but there is no daily time barrier, as long as it's done within an acceptible time period (usually say month-ish unless urgent) is always fine. I'm also a Phd student, so again most work on a computer, and also some flexibility with time. If you're having a conversation on here with people as I mostly do, it isn't hard to rack up the posts
no disrespect but if I was the majority shareholder of the company you are a director of I'd sack you, 40 posts per day, no wonder they have to employ extra bodies !

again no hard feelings but you'd be a lousy mod !

B Cantona

Desperate
no disrespect but if I was the majority shareholder of the company you are a director of I'd sack you, 40 posts per day, no wonder they have to employ extra bodies !

again no hard feelings but you'd be a lousy mod !
Well, as someone with a position of responsbility in my work life, I wouldn't take much notice of someones opinion who had little to no information about the facts at hand :smirk:

I'm highly valued at my employment thank you.

As for modship, well I aint one so it doesn't matter anyway does it. I think I'd make a damn good one personally

Nialler

Alex's Dad
Well, as someone with a position of responsbility in my work life, I wouldn't take much notice of someones opinion who had little to no information about the facts at hand :smirk:

I'm highly valued at my employment thank you.

As for modship, well I aint one so it doesn't matter anyway does it. I think I'd make a damn good one personally

if you were a bird you'd try and ride your way to the top of the ladder !

Mr. Wood

Circle Jerkin' Wannabe
What a horrible idea!

Well it's not so bad in theory, but this has basically been tried before (that Theatre of Dreams site, which I think was operated by Raoul) and failed. This is a bit different as it wouldn't involve leaving the Caf, but I think the real problem with TOD was that everyone agreed on everything.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Hypershy was Raoul's and ToD was mine after Raoul went overseas. Neither failed in that they were just a group of friends having a chat away from the masses of scousers (remember we banned 100 in one fell swoop and peole now complain about the 5-10 regualrs) and in no way were they intended to suplant the caf or be a RR style breakaway. Indeed Niall was on those places as well. When most of that group driften off due to life stuff the places slowed and were eventaully closed when Raoul and then I had life stuff that made them more hassle than they were worth to keep going.

Good to see you back BTW

Mr. Wood

Circle Jerkin' Wannabe
Hypershy was Raoul's and ToD was mine after Raoul went overseas. Neither failed in that they were just a group of friends having a chat away from the masses of scousers (remember we banned 100 in one fell swoop and peole now complain about the 5-10 regualrs) and in no way were they intended to suplant the caf or be a RR style breakaway. Indeed Niall was on those places as well. When most of that group driften off due to life stuff the places slowed and were eventaully closed when Raoul and then I had life stuff that made them more hassle than they were worth to keep going.

Good to see you back BTW
Point taken - I suppose I probably stumbled in around the time that the site was winding down.

Cheers btw, it's good to be back (I think)

Hectic

Supports
30fps
I doubt there is a need for any more moderators at all.

Rudie

Mentary
This thread stinks of hypocrisy, the caf is similar to any society in that it evolves, it grows. Should the question of "an elitist medium / enviorment" be suggested in anyother society then it's more likely to come from some populism / fascism group alla BNP or the such. It's a giver that older members of the caf would hate the evolution of it, just look at the society you live in, ask your Grandparents, they'll gladly moan on about who should and should not be allowed to participate in it. I even did this myself over the arcade and youtube features, but now see that these were introduced so the caf could become closer, not segregated and seperated into x forums.

For some members in this thread I wouldn't be surprised if they were part of some far right party in real life, if you'd like i could name a handfull of examples for most people in here where "WUM"ery and thus demotion should have been applied, i'm not going to name anyone and the examples though, you shouldn't need me too, and you'd know if it applies to you. Calls for demotion, stricter newbie promotions all serve the protectionist attitude a lot of posters on this forum have.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
This thread stinks of hypocrisy, the caf is similar to any society in that it evolves, it grows. Should the question of "an elitist medium / enviorment" be suggested in anyother society then it's more likely to come from some populism / fascism group alla BNP or the such. It's a giver that older members of the caf would hate the evolution of it, just look at the society you live in, ask your Grandparents, they'll gladly moan on about who should and should not be allowed to participate in it. I even did this myself over the arcade and youtube features, but now see that these were introduced so the caf could become closer, not segregated and seperated into x forums.

For some members in this thread I wouldn't be surprised if they were part of some far right party in real life, if you'd like i could name a handfull of examples for most people in here where "WUM"ery and thus demotion should have been applied, i'm not going to name anyone and the examples though, you shouldn't need me too, and you'd know if it applies to you. Calls for demotion, stricter newbie promotions all serve the protectionist attitude a lot of posters on this forum have.
I agreed with you up to that point. Quality on a privately run forum is down to the people in charge and this site has always been popular because of that quality. There's nothing wrong in wanted to raise a bar that's lowered drastically over the last few months.

Rudie

Mentary
I agreed with you up to that point. Quality on a privately run forum is down to the people in charge and this site has always been popular because of that quality. There's nothing wrong in wanted to raise a bar that's lowered drastically over the last few months.
That's just how it perceived. Take the next example...

if you were a bird you'd try and ride your way to the top of the ladder !
This was in reply to Brad suggesting he'd make a good mod I believe?

I agree, Brad being a mod would promote any female who signed up regardless of whether they had something to contribute to the forum or not, he'd then persist in spamming the forum with countless threads about them. Weaste went over the top over a thread about someone who had died and people saying "RIP", he then went over the top about the changes added to the caf and was promptly banned, according to this thread he should thus have had to been demoted back to the newbies in order to "prove" himself again. According to Jason everyone is anti American and often spams serious debates in the Current Events forum with muppetry about how America is perceived as evil and adds little else to the debate.

These are just a handfull of cases of people in this very thread talking about an elitest forum, which IMO would just go to highlight the flaws in everyone including themselves. Lets not even go to mention the first Tevez thread, how many in here participated in that wihout adding anything of value? I have my flaws also, but at least i'm not claiming to be a saint.

It's not just newbies that have lowered that bar.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
That's just how it perceived. Take the next example...

This was in reply to Brad suggesting he'd make a good mod I believe?

I agree, Brad being a mod would promote any female who signed up regardless of whether they had something to contribute to the forum or not, he'd then persist in spamming the forum with countless threads about them. Weaste went over the top over a thread about someone who had died and people saying "RIP", he then went over the top about the changes added to the caf and was promptly banned, according to this thread he should thus have had to been demoted back to the newbies in order to "prove" himself again. According to Jason everyone is anti American and often spams serious debates in the Current Events forum with muppetry about how America is perceived as evil and adds little else to the debate.

These are just a handfull of cases of people in this very thread talking about an elitest forum, which IMO would just go to highlight the flaws in everyone including themselves. Lets not even go to mention the first Tevez thread, how many in here participated in that wihout adding anything of value? I have my flaws also, but at least i'm not claiming to be a saint.

That's a very good point.

I suppose I am as much to blame as anyone else. Why should a newbie be demoted for muppetry etc, when I have over 700 posts in that Tevez thread alone....I should be demoted as much as anyone else and have to prove my quality again. You raise good points, there seems to be one rule for us, and another for the newbies. I'm very much against any elitist forum, and glad that the mods are too. But you have made me re-think my demotion ideas, because as it currently stands it is extremely bias.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
That's been pretty much my point this whole debate. That and this elitist idea is a joke. I've only been registered a year or so (lurking longer), and in that time I've failed to see the relevance of a few thousand posts compared to a few hundred when it comes to debating issues.

On the issues of new mods, I can pick a few that would be great, but they wouldn't be part of the 'elite' core.

Spoony

The People's President

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I think the best way forward is for people to try their best to raise the standard of posting. Just over the last few days i have noticed people who would previously have leaped into a slanging fest with scousers have ramped it back and engaged in debate instead. I think what we are planning will make a huge difference and if it hasn't by say Christmas we can always revisit the issue.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Even Spoony only just posted a smilie rather than calling anyone a spastic.

The future looks bright.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
Even Spoony only just posted a smilie rather than calling anyone a spastic.

The future looks bright.

That's a good point. I don't see what was funny about Rudie's post though, I thought it raised a fair few issues with the idea and quite well thought out.

Status
Not open for further replies.