New Nani Interview

stevoc

Great interview. Nani was my favorite United player for a good while. It was frustrating how he never got the same treatment like lesser players Valencia, Young and Rooney who got a license to stink up the place match after match without getting benched. And the way Rooney constantly berated him on the field whenever he tried something or didn't pass to him, which the crowd then followed by shockingly booing him on many occasions. Even though I supported France I was happy to see Nani win and being Portugal's best player at the Euros. I hope he enjoys his football at Valencia and gets the support he needs from his team.
I think he was only ever booed once or twice, but he was regularly on the receiving end of grumbles and groans a lot of the time when something that he tried didn't come off, which while not as bad as boos wasn't great either.

Butty19

He was very poorly managed in his last few seasons when all he needed was a manager who believed in him. He's arguably one of the most gifted players to ever play for us and produced many memorable moments during his time. Did he score a shit goal for us?

I remember a lot of fans getting on his back in his last few displays probably more down to frustration because they knew what he could be capable of. As many have said already, I'd still have him on our right wing now.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Fergie's treatment of him later on was a bit baffling. You could see Fergie rated him very highly given he brought him back into the team for the tougher games but for the other games we had to suffer through the ineptitude of Valencia doing sweet feck all. I never really understood the thinking behind that.

Smores

Always liked him but i thought his freezing out was probably the right call, he needed a change to get back into form.

Bit odd to see people blaming the club or Moyes. Cant remember that many people calling for him to start at the time. His excellent form prior clouds the picture somewhat

In Rainbows

He had to make way for Valencia. It's a bit strange given that he was our best player at the time, and yet had to move to the left wing in order for Valencia to play. In 2013, Valencia was terrible and still got to play more than Nani. It was all a bit strange is all I can say.

He should have won the PL player of the year over Bale in 2011. I still can't believe Bale won that year.

GBBQ

Always liked Nani but those wishing to have him back in the team must realise that him being a better option than Young or Memphis does not make him the best choice for us. It was like Welbeck last year, he might improve our current options but to compete at the top they would be nowhere near the first team.

m1y2

Nani at his best was absolute monster of a player, he was so balanced on the ball sending defenders the wrong way capable of shooting with both feet but god how I hated his corners and freekicks at times :lol:

RooneyLegend

He never quite figured the game out, he almost did, then regressed again. Always felt like he modeled his game around the wrong player(Cristiano), he should've imo modeled it around Ronaldinho. His talent was undoubted, and technically even superior to Cristiano but sadly while Cristiano minimized the frustrating aspect of his game, Nani never did. It was in the aim to replicate Cristiano's goal scoring prowess that held him back. That's why so many times when he was supposed to pass, he shot. Plus he at times never seemed to understand moments in games, slowing it down when he's supposed to speed it up, and then doing the opposite. He didn't get love some claim he didn't get cause even though he had genius levels of ability, he was never a player you'd consistently label a genius.

Martin(6)Buchan

Someone with so much talent but never delivered consistantly, you just did not know who was turning up on match day.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
One thing not many people mention (or perhaps don't realise), is that in his entire seven years with us he only once had a good consistent run of games on the right wing. And it just so happened to be in 10/11, the year he 'led us' to the title and was the best player in the league.

Throughout the rest of his time here he was played mostly on the left, with a few games on the right here, a few games there, etc.

While Nani was certainly capable of amazing matches on the left (indeed, many of his very best matches were off that side), he always seemed far more inconsistent. It's why after that amazing run of form I was really hoping SAF would stop moving him around, but as soon as Valencia got back from injury he was slotted straight back into the right and Nani was moved over to the left again. As much as I do like Valencia (and he himself had his best ever season in 11/12), Nani's top level was simply so much higher he should have been given every opportunity to lock down the right wing spot. Instead, his versatility worked against him.

SqueakyWeasel

Annoying player with very little self confidence IMHO, passed when he should shoot and shot when … well, you probably see where this one's going.

He really never seemed to have the ability/application to live up to (what he thought was) his potential … and I think it's hilarious that he feels comfortable blaming that away in an interview on everyone/anyone else except himself :lol:

Can anyone imagine Ronaldo or Ibra playing the hard-done-by victim in an interview?

There are born winners and then there are born whiners!

Womp

idiot
Annoying player with very little self confidence IMHO, passed when he should shoot and shot when … well, you probably see where this one's going.

He really never seemed to have the ability/application to live up to (what he thought was) his potential … and I think it's hilarious that he feels comfortable blaming that away in an interview on everyone/anyone else except himself :lol:

Can anyone imagine Ronaldo or Ibra playing the hard-done-by victim in an interview?

What a wreck of a post. I can imagine Ronaldo doing it, as he's done it before, directly blaming his team-mates for losses is one example.

What he thought was his potential? He was getting close to 20 assists a season when he was playing in his preferred position and not plagued by injuries or lack of game time. :houllier: Was nominated for the Ballon D'or, has won player of the year for us, was along with Berbatov the only reason we made it through the early parts of that title winning season, amongst other things. His potential was never in question, but it's obvious your opinion is plagued by your opinion of him as an individual, so carry on.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!

Have you even read it? Who is his blaming other than Moyes? Which seemed justified.

stevoc

Always liked him but i thought his freezing out was probably the right call, he needed a change to get back into form.

Bit odd to see people blaming the club or Moyes. Cant remember that many people calling for him to start at the time. His excellent form prior clouds the picture somewhat
Yeah that strategy worked out well didnt it.

Nani was always a confidence player who needed a run in the side to get into form. Freezing him out was never going to achieve anything positive.

SqueakyWeasel

What a wreck of a post. I can imagine Ronaldo doing it, as he's done it before, directly blaming his team-mates for losses is one example.

What he thought was his potential? He was getting close to 20 assists a season when he was playing in his preferred position and not plagued by injuries or lack of game time. :houllier: Was nominated for the Ballon D'or, has won player of the year for us, was along with Berbatov the only reason we made it through the early parts of that title winning season, amongst other things. His potential was never in question, but it's obvious your opinion is plagued by your opinion of him as an individual, so carry on.
A wreck of a post? Because it doesn't fit comfortably with your perception of reality? :houllier::lol::lol:

Stormsurfer21

Fergie's treatment of him later on was a bit baffling. You could see Fergie rated him very highly given he brought him back into the team for the tougher games but for the other games we had to suffer through the ineptitude of Valencia doing sweet feck all. I never really understood the thinking behind that.
I don't know if you can really compare both situations, but Fergie used to do that too with Park for example. Park and Nani are very different types of players, but I wouldn't blame Ferguson for Nani's dip in form/confidence.

What Moyes and van Gaal did to him baffles me. It's nice to see he still has great memories of his time here and loved his life as a Manchester United player.

SqueakyWeasel

Have you even read it? Who is his blaming other than Moyes? Which seemed justified.
Have you? Seems to me he was blaming:

Moyes: he was given a new 5 year contract then was not played often enough although 7 starts was not that far off his club average.
LvG: Not offering him a guaranteed first team position when he felt he had been "… here for many years" and felt he was "… very important to the club".

His opinion counts for nothing. If he were good enough either of those managers would have loved to use him.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Have you? Seems to me he was blaming:

Moyes: he was given a new 5 year contract then was not played often enough although 7 starts was not that far off his club average.
LvG: Not offering him a guaranteed first team position when he felt he had been "… here for many years" and felt he was "… very important to the club".

His opinion counts for nothing. If he were good enough either of those managers would have loved to use him.
And our scintillating wingplay over the last 3 (actually 4, ever since Nani stopped being a regular starter) seasons, vindicates that decision?

POF

In his last days as United manager LVG continually bemoaned a lack of "fast creative players". Getting rid of Nani (and Zaha to a lesser extent) because they didn't fit his 3-5-2 system was a terrible mistake. He was back to playing with wingers a few months later and didn't have any.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
He never quite figured the game out, he almost did, then regressed again. Always felt like he modeled his game around the wrong player(Cristiano), he should've imo modeled it around Ronaldinho. His talent was undoubted, and technically even superior to Cristiano but sadly while Cristiano minimized the frustrating aspect of his game, Nani never did. It was in the aim to replicate Cristiano's goal scoring prowess that held him back. That's why so many times when he was supposed to pass, he shot. Plus he at times never seemed to understand moments in games, slowing it down when he's supposed to speed it up, and then doing the opposite. He didn't get love some claim he didn't get cause even though he had genius levels of ability, he was never a player you'd consistently label a genius.
He never modeled his game on Ronaldo. Ronaldo plays like a CF on the wing, while Nani is a true winger, using his dribbling skills to get past players and set up crossing/shooting opportunities. Ronaldo is all about movement and lethal finishing.

Deleted member 101472

Saw Nani compared to Robben and stopped reading this thread . Only a tier above theo Walcott for me , one of our most inconsistent performers with a severe case of Samir Nasri syndrome - I.e. Only plays well against better teams if you are 2-0 or more up

Born2Lose

The way this forum goes on about this guy you would think he'd signed for Barca/Real/Bayern instead of Valencia. Much like Rafael there's a reason these guys aren't playing for the top clubs.

Oyibo

In my opinion, yes Nani had his fantastic memorable goals against the likes of City etc, however in his last year or so in particular, he was frustrating.

Seemed to get a little greedy when in a great position to pass to someone in a better position.:annoyed:

Maybe it was out of being over-keen to impress ?:confused:

And when he was given the five year contract, it passed my mind it may be in order to get a decent sell-on fee for him..

But glad to see he's done well since he left. Thanks for the good memories :cool:

United22

He had to make way for Valencia. It's a bit strange given that he was our best player at the time, and yet had to move to the left wing in order for Valencia to play. In 2013, Valencia was terrible and still got to play more than Nani. It was all a bit strange is all I can say.

He should have won the PL player of the year over Bale in 2011. I still can't believe Bale won that year.
Surely this never happened?

ottosec

One of may favorite players when he played for us. Unplayable at his best, he could do anything.

Good to see he's doing well.

markhrad

I consider Nani as one of the most skillful players ever to play for Utd. There was no defender that he could not make fall on their arse, even Ashley cole. To me his best game was that against Bayern Munich when Rooney was playing with an injury and Rafael was sent off before losing 2-3. In the first half he destroyed Bayern.
I think his problem was that he had a fragile ego, otherwise he would have been our star player. It did not help that fans could be heard booing him. Anyway even though I miss him I cant feel sorry for him as his resume is immense. The only thing that he is missing is a world cup championship.

The United

I consider Nani as one of the most skillful players ever to play for Utd. There was no defender that he could not make fall on their arse, even Ashley cole. To me his best game was that against Bayern Munich when Rooney was playing with an injury and Rafael was sent off before losing 2-3. In the first half he destroyed Bayern.
I think his problem was that he had a fragile ego, otherwise he would have been our star player. It did not help that fans could be heard booing him. Anyway even though I miss him I cant feel sorry for him as his resume is immense. The only thing that he is missing is a world cup championship.
I think by all accounts, saf had high hope for him like ronaldo. But, somehow he couldn't get him do it. Not that he is completely wasted though. He won tons and still is a good player.

But, I can't shake the feeling that he could have been better.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
That tippy tappy vs Arsenal :drool::drool::drool:
The seal dribble was absolute magic. It wasn't just the technical skill involved, but more so it was the extemporaneous, spirit breaking humiliation of a rival. It was our way of saying to them - we can do whatever we want to you and there's nothing you can do to stop us.

markhrad

I think by all accounts, saf had high hope for him like ronaldo. But, somehow he couldn't get him do it. Not that he is completely wasted though. He won tons and still is a good player.

But, I can't shake the feeling that he could have been better.[/QUOTE]

I actually thought that he could become Messi-like. I was hoping that he would play more centrally but I guess it was just wishful thinking. Still i have to admit that any time he had the ball I waited for him to do something amazing.