Music New Order

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
Listening now, pretty standard New Order fare, I love it though. Sent Hooky s tweet congratulating him on the new album.:D

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Listening now, pretty standard New Order fare, I love it though. Sent Hooky s tweet congratulating him on the new album.:D
He was on the DJ circuit here in LA a few years back. Pretty dismal from what I heard. Still the clubbers lapped it up because he was Hooky.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I didn't know anything about Bad Lieutenant until I read Bernard's book.

It's like finding an unreleased NO album.

I hope they tour the states again soon. I've only seen New Order once, I always miss them for some shit reason.
I used to be a massive fan of Electronic, especially the first album. Also loved Hooky's "Revenge" project - "One True Passion" was amazing at the time. I even bought Stephen and Gillian's "The Other Two" project.

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
I used to be a massive fan of Electronic, especially the first album. Also loved Hooky's "Revenge" project - "One True Passion" was amazing at the time. I even bought Stephen and Gillian's "The Other Two" project.
Same here, saw electronic twice. Revenge once (great album cover), I still have the tasty fish cd somewhere.

The Monaco album was pretty good as well.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Yeah forgot about Monaco. The 2nd Electronic album wasn't nearly as good as the first imo. I think Revenge put out another EP or two as well.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
This album is better than the last three albums. Its more than better, amazingly better.

Gazza

Loving the new album! Which is a nice surprise, with them approaching 60 years of age and considering Bad Lieutenant was a bit middle of the road for my liking. I've been religious about Joy Division and New Order in the past, but not been listening to them much of late, however I've been playing Plastic, Tutti Frutti, Singularity, People on the High Line on heavy rotation.

It sounds like they're having a lot of fun with this album, which probably wasn't the case for the last two albums. Agree with Mitcher that this album is the best they've done since Technique. It's kind of like Technique b-sides and Electronic's best stuff mixed together (although Electronic's first album was one of the best imo). Tutti Frutti in particular reminds me of Fine Time. Singularity reminds me of Sunrise and 24 Hours by Joy Division.

There is no standout track like Crystal. And the days of them making electronic songs with real depth and soul (Temptation, True Faith, Perfect Kiss) are over. Back then, they produced their own stuff and so it sounded theirs in a way which is hard to do when you are working with 3 or 4 different producers on an album like they do now (Tim Rowlands from Chemical Brothers for example). And of course Hooky's missing. But these are great pop songs and not supposed to be cutting edge.

Gazza

Also, the extended mix of Restless (I think it's on the Japanese version of the album) makes so much more sense than the album version, highly recommended and if anyone wants to know how to get hold of it without going to Japan send me a PM.

Gazza

Liked Monaco's first album, none of Hooky's other solo work. What Do You Want From Me was a nice single.

Electronic's first album still gets a few plays from me every year. I loved it and I think you turned me on to it a long time ago now, nice one!

KingCantona87

Love both Joy Division and New Order. Not so much a fan of their solo/individual projects though. When people talk of the great drummers of all time I feel Stephen Morris is vastly underrated. I also liked Hooky's distinct style on the bass.

Impossible to say what my favourite tracks of theirs are but Age of Consent, Blue Monday and Temptation are up there for sure.

djembatheking

Atmosphere
Love will tear us apart
Shadowplay
Transmission
She`s lost control

Ceremony
Thieves like us
Everythings gone green
Temptation
ICB

Gazza

Joy Division:
Glass
Disorder
24 Hours
Heart and soul
Transmission

New Order:
Temptation
Perfect Kiss
Age of Consent
Ceremony
Regret

So hard keeping it down to ten. They're essentially two of the best bands to come out of Britain, ever

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Hard to come up with a static top 10 for New Order, it would probably change each time you ask me. Off the top of my head.....

True Faith
Shellshock
Mr. Disco
Touched by the hand of God
Paradise
World in Motion
Subculture
Crystal
Regret
Dream Attack

BTW - I think Slave by Revenge is probably the best track to come out of the Joy Division family.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Bizarre Love Triangle and Temptation (not the original, but 1987 version, from Touched by the Hand of God single, which for some reason has 'original mix' subtitle) are two of my favourites by New Order.

Easily Love Will Tear Us Apart from Joy Division.

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
So I see Hooky's got a book coming out now. From what I've read on it he's saying that his ex, Caroline Aherne was physically abusive to him. Something her family claim wasn’t brought up in the divorce.

Don't think I'll bother with this book. Still contemplating seeing him next month. Still love his bass work but he's a bit of a tosser.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
So I see Hooky's got a book coming out now. From what I've read on it he's saying that his ex, Caroline Aherne was physically abusive to him. Something her family claim wasn’t brought up in the divorce.

Don't think I'll bother with this book. Still contemplating seeing him next month. Still love his bass work but he's a bit of a tosser.
Did you ever see Hooky live recently ? Substance just turned 30 this week and i see he has a book out about the history of New Order and Joy Division. Him and Barney are still going at it in court apparently.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Oh and I finally got around to watching Control (movie about Joy Division). Pretty interesting.

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
Did you ever see Hooky live recently ? Substance just turned 30 this week and i see he has a book out about the history of New Order and Joy Division. Him and Barney are still going at it in court apparently.
I haven't, not in Portland anymore so don't see as many shows. Still contemplating NO at the Hollywood bowl

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Top 10 is tough. In no order I'd go with:

She's lost control, Transmission, Temptation, Atmosphere, Disorder, Love will tear us apart, Ceremony, Bizarre love triangle, True faith, Thieves like us.

MoskvaRed

Excluding Joy Division, I'd go with:

Love Vigilantes
Age of Consent
Ecstasy
Vanishing Point
Confusion
Regret
Mr Disco
Your Silent Face
The Perfect Kiss
Blue Monday

All of which suggests they should have packed it in in 1993.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Excluding Joy Division, I'd go with:

Love Vigilantes
Age of Consent
Ecstasy
Vanishing Point
Confusion
Regret
Mr Disco
Your Silent Face
The Perfect Kiss
Blue Monday

All of which suggests they should have packed it in in 1993.
Interesting choices.

I've always felt New Order's creative sweet spot happened between Brotherhood (1986) to Republik (1993).

There are also some fantastic tracks that don't get mentioned a lot. Stuff like Touched by the Hand of God and 1963 etc.

Tarrou

How is Your Silent Face not in people's top 10s? One of the greatest songs ever written.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Grew up on New Order and Simple Minds.

Learnt about Joy Division and became a fan, obviously helped by us singing about one of our heroes using their most famous song.

Monaco's What Do You Want From Me? is one of my all time favourite songs. Absolute banger.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Grew up on New Order and Simple Minds.

Learnt about Joy Division and became a fan, obviously helped by us singing about one of our heroes using their most famous song.

Monaco's What Do You Want From Me? is one of my all time favourite songs. Absolute banger.
Did you ever get into Electronic ? Their first album was one great track after the other.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
New Order
Procession
Age of Consent
Bizarre Love Triangle
Chosen Time
Sunrise

Joy Division
Twenty Four Hours
The Eternal
Decades
These Days
Dead Souls

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Interesting choices.

I've always felt New Order's creative sweet spot happened between Brotherhood (1986) to Republik (1993).

There are also some fantastic tracks that don't get mentioned a lot. Stuff like Touched by the Hand of God and 1963 etc.
Get Ready was a great album with a far greater emphasis on guitars.

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
@77 - Shows in Vancouver, Seattle, and Portland next year.

Going to be in NY around those dates.

Have you listened to Bad Lieutenant? It's basically bonus NO, good stuff

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Going to be in NY around those dates.

Have you listened to Bad Lieutenant? It's basically bonus NO, good stuff
I listened to their featured track. It was ok. I do like NO’s most recent album without Hooky. Just goes to show how New Order is basically Barney’s show.

squiggle

Supports
Ligue 1, Arsenal
I couldn't choose 5 or 10. Or 5 NO and 5 JD.

I always liked songs of both but got into them properly after Richey vanished from the Manic Street Preachers.

Last edited:

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
I've just listened to Monaco's 'Music for Pleasure' past the first track for the first time. I liked it quite a bit. There's a decent amount of good songs on there as well as the obvious one. I really like Shine

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I've just listened to Monaco's 'Music for Pleasure' past the first track for the first time. I liked it quite a bit. There's a decent amount of good songs on there as well as the obvious one. I really like Shine

Yeah its one of the better tracks on Music for Pleasure. When you go through all the various projects including New Order, Electronic, Monaco, The Other Two, Revenge, Bad Lieutenant etc. - one thing becomes pretty clear. Sumner's song writing seems to be the guiding force in New Order and there's a noticeable degradation in projects where he's not involved (although those projects are pretty good as well). New Order's latest album, despite not having Hook, is still pretty good as the past 2-3 New Order albums go.

Singularity is imo every bit as good as anything on Get Ready or Waiting for the Sirens Call....